PDA

View Full Version : Chupacabra [Custom monster]

SilverLeaf167
2010-06-29, 01:00 AM
Okay, so this is my first custom monster. Please give constructive criticism.

Chupacabra
Small Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12 (13 HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Size, +2 Dexterity, +2 Natural Armor), Touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+2 plus blood drain) or claws +3 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+2 plus blood drain) or claws +3 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood drain, Improved Grab, grapple claws
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., silent run
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 15, Con 0, Int 5, Wis 9, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +5, Move Silently +5, Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pack (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 1

This small humanoid is truly an odd sight. It has an almost monkey-like physique, but there is no tail. Its skin is covered in bluish-gray scales and its reptilian feet are clawed. It stares at you with it’s large eyes of pure black and lets out a bonechilling scream, revealing a row of sharp fangs.

Chupacabras are small but terrifying undead, often created of goblins or other savage humanoids of the same size. They hunt for whatever prey is available, usually cattle, ripping them to pieces and drinking all their blood, resembling vampires in that matter.
Fortunately, an animal or person killed by a chupacabra doesn’t return as one, unlike with vampires.
A chupacabra stands up to 3,3 feet tall while on its rear feet. When running, it often descends to all fours, about 1,6 feet tall to it’s shoulders. They usually weight about 40 lbs. Their large, empty eyes are either pure black or dark red. A chupacabra’s whole body is covered by bluish-gray scales, sometimes with also black spots. Their whole physique is usually quite skinny, but that might vary if they have just fed.
Chupacabras don’t speak any language, they can only manage canine sounds like barking, howling and also a bone-chilling scream.

Combat
Chupacabras usually resort to battle if their prey fights back or if their hunt is disturbed. Due to their low intellect they cannot properly organize attacks, however sometimes hunting in small packs where they just attack simultaneously.
Improved Grab: To use this ability, a chupacabra must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free
action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can drain the victim’s blood.
Blood drain: After causing a bleeding wound to an opponent, a chupacabra can try to suck the victim’s blood out through it. This is accomplished through a grapple, and if successful, causes terrible pain to the opponent (1d6 per round) while healing the chupacabra (half the damage dealt). When all blood is sucked out, the victim dies.
Grapple claws: The chupacabra have sharp, curved claws, giving them a +2 bonus to grapple checks, regardless of any other penalties.
Silent run: Due to their sneaky nature, chupacabras can make a Move Silently check even while running or walking at normal speed.

Volthawk
2010-06-29, 01:28 AM
2 things I can see straight away:

1) Undead have d12 HD.

2) Undead don't have a Con score.

EDIT: Also, they have -3 to grapple, not +3.

SilverLeaf167
2010-06-29, 01:33 AM
1 & 2: My bad.
Grapple thing: The chupa was supposed to be good at grappling, because it needs it for its special attack. I added a grapple bonus thingy :D

Temotei
2010-06-29, 01:35 AM
Grapple claws: The chupacabra have sharp, curved claws, giving them a +1 bonus to grapple checks instead of the -3 penalty most undead get.

Being small gives it a -4 penalty. That's where the penalty comes from--not from being undead, but from being small.

Use Ø for Constitution or use "strikethrough" on your zero.

Also, its average hit points should be thirteen, not twelve.

Under "Abilities," make "Wisdom" Wis and make "Charisma" Cha.

Saves: +3 Fort, +3 Ref, +0 Will

Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0

What's "silent run?"

They don't come in pairs? :smallamused:

Volthawk
2010-06-29, 01:36 AM
Undead don't automatically have a -3. Just your monster would have.

The grapple check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)formula is BAB+Str mod+size modifer, so for you monster, it would be 1(BAB)+0(Str mod)-4(size), which is -3.

SilverLeaf167
2010-06-29, 01:42 AM
Thanks to you all. This is seriously my first custom monster :P

-It has a +2 to grapples. Hands down.
-Explained "silent run". Forgot that xD
-No, they don't come in pairs.

Many were just writing mistakes on my part. The save thing, etc.

Temotei
2010-06-29, 01:44 AM
Thanks to you all. This is seriously my first custom monster :P

-It has a +2 to grapples. Hands down.
-Explained "silent run". Forgot that xD
-No, they don't come in pairs.

Many were just writing mistakes on my part. The save thing, etc.

'S'all good. Check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009) out if you want some help with creature creation in the future.

SilverLeaf167
2010-06-29, 01:45 AM
Thanks!
Gonna make an adventure about brutally killed cattle or something.
You probably know what this monster is based on?

Temotei
2010-06-29, 01:52 AM
Thanks!
Gonna make an adventure about brutally killed cattle or something.
You probably know what this monster is based on?

Indeed. I live in Minnesota, but the legend is still fairly fresh in my memory.

Debihuman
2010-06-29, 12:13 PM
If you gave it the Improved Grapple Feat as a bonus feat. It doesn't qualify for this feat so it would have to be a bonus feat.

It would gain +4 to grapple from the feat and then it would gain the normal +2 from Grapple Claws. Stating it gets a straight +2 doesn't make sense if you advance the creature at all.

Grapple claws (Ex): The chupacabra has sharp, curved claws, giving it +2 bonus to grapple checks.

Debby

FoeHammer
2010-06-29, 01:00 PM
You should probably indicate how long it takes for all the blood to be sucked out using blood drain. Other than that, looks pretty good. Do they take any penalty on move silently using silent run, even when charging (-20 IIRC)?

Temotei
2010-06-29, 01:12 PM
You should probably indicate how long it takes for all the blood to be sucked out using blood drain. Other than that, looks pretty good. Do they take any penalty on move silently using silent run, even when charging (-20 IIRC)?

I think the blood is all gone when their hit points are gone.