PDA

View Full Version : rogue help!!!!!

thefear436
2010-06-29, 01:14 AM
This one is a non core, rogue probably in the range of 4-6 LVL, help please, almost all books open. Thanks

Thajocoth
2010-06-29, 01:16 AM
This one is a non core, rogue probably in the range of 4-6 LVL, help please, almost all books open. Thanks

You should probably give more info than that. Also, fun fact: There are a lot of RPGs with a "Rogue" class. What game are you playing? What edition of it? How many other people? What are they playing? Any details about the world? Anything?

And most importantly... What are you trying to do with the Rogue that you need help with?

thefear436
2010-06-29, 01:33 AM
Ok sorry about that, I will be playing D&D 3.5 there is generally 3-4 other players excluding myself, I plan to be a melee rogue, one is a duskblade, one is a wizard, one is a fighter, and the other one is always different.

Edit: I dont know the campaign, it is up to my DM, and doesnt really tell us until like a day before or something.

PId6
2010-06-29, 01:36 AM
Check the Rogue Handbook (link in sig).

I'd suggest using Two-Weapon Fighting, and maybe taking Swashbuckler levels along with Daring Outlaw, depending on how dedicated you are to melee combat.

Zovc
2010-06-29, 02:10 AM
But still, what do you want the rogue to do? O.o

Curmudgeon
2010-06-29, 02:18 AM
I say don't take Two-Weapon Fighting. That'll require full attacks, and you won't have the AC to withstand full counterattacks.

I suggest you go for Spring Attack as your level 6 feat. Hit and move, and don't ever let the enemy get a full attack. This also sets you up to enter Shadowdancer at level 8.

Human Rogue

Level 1: Dodge, Combat Reflexes
Level 3: Mobility
Level 6: Spring Attack

When you can afford it buy Mobility as an armor enhancement (Magic Item Compendium) and retrain the feat (rules in Players Handbook II) for something more useful: Craven (Champions of Ruin). At level 3 pick up the Penetrating Strike alternative class feature (Dungeonscape) to be able to deal ½ normal sneak attack dice to sneak-immune enemies you flank. With Spring Attack you'll be able to pick targets where an ally can give you flanking position.

To get extra attacks that are better than TWF (because they work with Spring Attack, standard action attacks, and even AoOs), go for Snap Kick (Tome of Battle) as your level 9 feat. Pick up the Improved Unarmed Strike prerequisite via Bracers of Striking (Magic of Faerūn), which grant the feat for only 1,310 gp.

PId6
2010-06-29, 02:31 AM
I say don't take Two-Weapon Fighting. That'll require full attacks, and you won't have the AC to withstand full counterattacks.
I still disagree with that assessment. You can kill enemies far faster with TWF, thereby helping your team more than you would with Spring Attack. Besides that, Spring Attack doesn't help at all against enemies with pounce, ranged attacks, or spellcasting.

For survivability, you can do well enough with things like Greater Invisibility from a caster ally, Blink from a Ring of Blinking, Alter Self from a wand, AC bonuses from feats like Titan Fighting and Underfoot Combat, and other effects of that nature. And since you're dealing much more damage than a Spring Attacker, you'll also have the benefit of killing enemies faster before they deal more damage to you.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-29, 04:28 AM
Besides that, Spring Attack doesn't help at all against enemies with pounce, ranged attacks, or spellcasting.
That one's usually wrong. It only takes a single obstacle or bit of difficult terrain to foil most chargers. And the thrust of my suggested build is to get to Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight as quickly as possible, where you'll be almost always untargetable, either by ranged attacks or spells.