PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Getting a lot of Animal Companions...

Zovc
2010-06-29, 01:30 AM
I'm working on a lulzy build, and I want to see how well I can optimize it on my own, but I'm not sure where to start with this angle...

The build will need a lot of animal companions.

Drothmal
2010-06-29, 02:24 AM
Look at Beast Master from Complete Adventurer (page 27).

If you don't have an animal companion, it gives you one at +3 your prestige class lvl. If you do have one, it stacks and gives you +3.

At lvl 4, 7 and 10, you get an extra animal companion at your prestige class lvl -3, -6 and -9 (this does not stack with your other sources of animal companion)

I'm not sure if taking Natural bond (feat that allows you to count at 3 lvls higher when determining animal companion while remaining below your character lvl) stacks with the secondary companions

Hope that helps

mrcarter11
2010-06-29, 02:27 AM
Not to sound stupid, but I have never used any class with a companion.. Any chance you could explain a little better?

Drothmal
2010-06-29, 02:29 AM
From the SRD

Animal Companion (Ex): A druid may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.

A 1st-level druid’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. As a druid advances in level, the animal’s power increases as shown on the table. If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer. This ceremony can also replace an animal companion that has perished.

A druid of 4th level or higher may select from alternative lists of animals (see below). Should she select an animal companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character’s druid level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character’s druid level and compare the result with the druid level entry on the table to determine the animal companion’s powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the druid’s effective level to 0 or lower, she can’t have that animal as a companion.)

Here's the link for the druid in general

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/druid.html

taltamir
2010-06-29, 02:36 AM
animal companions as in, the class feature with the same name...
Or just animals (or magical beasts), that travel with you and do your bidding...

Do things like familiar work?
Do you consider dragons and unicorns "animals"?

Rannil
2010-06-29, 04:12 AM
+1 for Beast Master if you want lots of animal companions. Without a lot of multiclassing.
Natural Bond does work with secondary companions, but only for one animal per time you choice the feat.

Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) adds another animal companion to the fix.
You could multiclass one level in wizard and take the Animal companion variant. Also once for Sorcerer and once for Bard.

Makes a total of 7 companions and one weird char. 5 Druid/10 Beastmaster/1sorcerer/1wizard/1bard

And for extra cheese you can chain leadership with druids, but those are technically speaking not your animal companions. A level dip in Thrallherd would work too.

molten_dragon
2010-06-29, 06:53 AM
Look into the feat initiate of nature. It lets you rebuke/command animals, so you could get several more animals under your command that way.

Zovc
2010-06-29, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I suppose I was a little vague. Hopefully I can clear myself up:

I was essentially referring to the class feature Animal Compainion, so thanks for your post, Rannil.

Less literally, though, I'm really looking for anything that would allow me to have an 'animal of reasonable combat prowess' following me. This might be doable with a familiar, but I imagine it requires some cheese and focus, which my build probably won't have room for. As far as what an animal is, you decide, I was planning on using tigers, hopefully, but I don't know if even druids can get them.

Edit: Nevermind, Druids can get tigers. Awesome.