PDA

View Full Version : Pillars of Creation

Savannah
2010-06-29, 01:49 AM
Gabriel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=218038)

You are standing in a dimly lit corridor. All surfaces are made of a smooth rock, and you cannot determine where the light is coming from. Perhaps it comes from the rock itself.

The walls, floor, and ceiling are carved with strange symbols unlike anything you’ve seen before. They are all smooth curves and graceful lines; no angles anywhere. They almost seem to be alive, or at least they would if it weren’t for the harsh scratches through them. They seem to have been defaced only recently, and without any skill.

Ahead of you, there is a simple door made of the same stone as the corridor. There are no carvings of any sort on the door. You have the feeling that whatever brought you down this corridor lies on the other side of this door.

Looking back, the corridor stretches as far as you can see, although whatever is producing the light seems to be coming from where you are.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 02:07 AM
im gonna ready my greatsword and proceed with opening the door

Savannah
2010-06-29, 02:12 AM
The door opens easily. Beyond it is a huge circular chamber, easily 80’ across.

In the center, a beam of light illuminates a crouching white figure. There is a clear path to the figure, but everywhere else the chamber is covered with darkness. The darkness is moving, almost as if it is alive, and tendrils extend towards the white figure in the center.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 02:13 AM
im gonna run towards the white figure try to get him out of there

Savannah
2010-06-29, 02:20 AM
When you step into the chamber, you realize where the light was coming from before. It’s coming from you.

The darkness seems to shrink back from you, and the white figure stirs from its position, revealing itself to be an almost unbearably beautiful woman. Long, feathered wings flow from her shoulders. She looks towards you, and when you meet her eyes, you feel as if her face has been burned into your memory. Silently she mouths, “Help me.”

As you move towards the figure, the darkness presses in towards you. As you are about to step into the beam of light, something seems to change. The darkness suddenly surges towards you, taking the form of long-armed creatures with glowing red eyes! At least twenty of the creatures grab at you.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 02:24 AM
im slash the closest one to me with my greatsword
initiative [roll0]

Savannah
2010-06-29, 12:42 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: what are the odds of that? You go first.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 08:30 PM
roll against AC:
[roll0]
damage if hits:
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-06-29, 08:52 PM
One of the things shrivels and dies as your sword passes through it.

Even more seem to be coming towards you from all sides. Their hands pass through your armor as if it wasn't there, and you can feel your life force draining away. In an instant, they swarm over you. As you die, you hear a voice whisper in your ear, “Seek below…seek below...seek below…”

You wake up in a cold sweat. You’ve had this dream - no, nightmare - every night for the past three weeks. Ever since the plague of rats arrived. The command to 'seek below' at the end is new, however.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 09:40 PM
what is around this room im in

Savannah
2010-06-29, 10:05 PM
It's a room in the temple of Pelor that the clerics rent out cheaply to pilgrims. It contains a bed, a chest (which you have the key for), and a table. The furnishings are plain, but serviceable.

Near your room, there is a privy, a bathing room, and a dining room that you have access to as a guest in the temple. There is also the main church, where a priest is available at all times in case someone needs spiritual advice or needs to rent a room.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 10:09 PM
i am going to find the priest and ask for a translation on my dream and the experience within it

Savannah
2010-06-29, 10:15 PM
The priest on duty is a young woman you've chatted with before. Her name is Talya, and when she sees you, she looks concerned, "Not sleeping well? You look awful, if you don't mind me saying so."

eriquell
2010-06-29, 10:17 PM
no i dont mind. you see, I been having these dreams. I wanted to know if you could give me advice on them

Savannah
2010-06-29, 10:23 PM
OOC: if you don't mind speaking in a color, that will make it easier for me to tell what is spoken and what isn't. It can be important in some conversations :smallwink:

"Oh, a dream! Tell me about it." Talya takes a seat on one of the benches, looking interested.

eriquell
2010-06-29, 10:43 PM
"well you see i walked down this dark corridor. There was a door at the end, when i opened it there was a beautiful women in the middle of a beam of light. she had feathered wings that left me speechless. looking around there were to wat looked like black tendrils spanning towards her she looked my way and said help me. a pathway of light led to her as i ran towards her to help her. this darkness to my understanding feared the light that was emitting from me. as i was about to step into the beam of light the darkness focused its attention towards me. As these figures tried to grab me, I slashed at one with my blade. as it fell in defeat the rest of these creatures seemed to pass right through me to wat felt like they were draining my life force. as i was dying i awoke from the nightmare in a cold sweat" trying to get punctuation a little better so it will be less painful for you to read.

Savannah
2010-06-29, 11:01 PM
OOC: Thanks!

"Hmm...That's an unusual dream. Light coming from you sounds like you are doing something good. The blackness is probably evil; that's how things usually work. Maybe it's warning you that you are in danger? Maybe it's warning you that this woman is in danger? Both of you surrounded by evil, trying to destroy you? I wonder if it's actually a woman, or just something represented by a woman... Was there any other clue in the dream?"

eriquell
2010-06-29, 11:06 PM
"There is one thing. it was kind of awkward but wen my eyes met hers. she was sort of familiar like i have seen her somewhere just dnt kn where."

Savannah
2010-07-01, 12:09 AM
"Strange. I definitely think that you should do something about this dream. It seems to be some sort of omen, but I don't know what you should do."

eriquell
2010-07-01, 01:48 AM
"do you think there is something approaching near."

Savannah
2010-07-01, 02:25 AM
"It could be. The rats have been coming up for three weeks now. Some are saying that it's a bad omen."

eriquell
2010-07-01, 03:15 PM
"a bad omen of what."
OOC: Im kinda baffled dnt knw wat to do at this point a little push in the right direction would help. :)

Savannah
2010-07-01, 07:43 PM
OOC: you got a new message in that last dream. Instructions on what to do next...

eriquell
2010-07-01, 10:37 PM
"A voice told me to seek below what do think about that one."
OOC: i hope i nailed it

Savannah
2010-07-01, 10:39 PM
"Well, I've heard rumors about old tunnels beneath the city, maybe you should look into that?"

eriquell
2010-07-01, 10:42 PM
"who would to your knowledge know of these tunnels?"
OOC: thanks for the push :)

Savannah
2010-07-02, 12:02 AM
"Maybe the wizards' guild, they know all sorts of strange things. Or maybe the masons' guild, they helped build most of the city."

OOC: no problem. It's the curse of the DM: you know what's going on, you give what you think is a nice subtle clue, and you watch it fly over the heads of your players, because they don't have the background knowledge to realize it's a clue. Not the first time I've done that :smallredface:

eriquell
2010-07-02, 12:21 AM
im gona proceed with going to the wizards guild for more answers
"thanks by the way this is not the last you'll see of me."

Savannah
2010-07-02, 12:45 PM
"I'm always happy to help."

Are you going to wait until morning, or go to the wizards' guild tower now?

eriquell
2010-07-02, 01:16 PM
i'll wait till morning

Savannah
2010-07-02, 11:33 PM
When you arrive at the tower, you see wizards running around frantically, in fact it looks like most of the wizards from the tower are outside. In addition, there is someone who looks like a high ranking wizard yelling at a group of three apprentices near the tower door.

eriquell
2010-07-03, 01:51 AM
im gona walk up towards him and ask whats going

Savannah
2010-07-03, 01:58 AM
The man turns towards you, running his hands through his hair in frustration. "Oh, hello. I'm afraid that this is not a good time. We've had a bit of an accident, and we're trying to get it cleaned up before it gets any worse."

eriquell
2010-07-03, 04:38 PM
" what has happened.?

Savannah
2010-07-03, 04:58 PM
"You know about the rats? Of course you know about the rats, who doesn't know about the damn rats! They've been everywhere for the last three weeks. The vermin repelling magic on the Palace and on our tower broke two weeks ago, and we've been scrambling to put up temporary wards. Well, these idiots," he indicates the apprentices, "were working in the potion room, and they were supposed to put the wards up when they were done.

"Of course, being idiots, they didn't and now we've got rats in our potion room, and I just received word that a maid in the Palace was attacked by a giant rat and the Emperor wants us to renew the wards, which I can't afford to send anyone to do because we have to get the rats out of the potion room before they ruin any more of the potions! He stops, taking a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, but as you can tell, I don't really have time to help you. If you were coming for a vermin repelling ward, I'm afraid that we aren't selling any to the public now, or any time in the near future."

eriquell
2010-07-03, 06:02 PM
"question, do you need a hand."

Savannah
2010-07-03, 06:40 PM
"Oh, that would be wonderful! He looks you up and down, noticing your armor and sword. "If you can clear the rats out of the potion room, I can send some wizards to the Palace to put the wards up again. Then I'd be happy to help you with anything you need. These idiots can show you to the room, it's the least they can do after letting the rats in in the first place." He then turns and starts gathering the wizards who had been running about, presumably to send them to the Palace.

The apprentices look happy to get away from the head wizard, and lead you into the tower.

The potion room is a large room full of cauldrons of potions in the process of being made, a huge rack on one wall full of vials of completed potions, several workbenches, and a number of shelves full of ingredients. It is also full of rats, which have apparently been sampling the potions - you see several who are flying, and a couple more walking across the ceiling...

eriquell
2010-07-03, 07:10 PM
you see he looks at all the rats and says in a faint voice you gotta be kidding me." He proceeds to the eradication of the vermin.

OOC: are you waiting on me.

Savannah
2010-07-05, 06:15 PM
OOC: Sorry, been a bit of a crazy weekend. Do you want to fight this out, or just say that you handle the rats?

eriquell
2010-07-06, 12:48 PM
OCC: handling the rats is fine it would be a waste of time but it's your call

Savannah
2010-07-06, 01:06 PM
You successfully defeat the rats that have been sampling the wizards' potions.

The apprentices take you up to the head wizards' office, but he is not there at the moment.

When he arrives, about half an hour later, he looks exhausted. "What are you doing...Oh, I remember! Thank you so much. Now, what can I do for you?"

eriquell
2010-07-06, 02:19 PM
"i would like to know if you have any knowledge upon tunnels below the city."

Savannah
2010-07-06, 03:21 PM
"Tunnels below the city. Hmmm. Well, there are the sewers, of course, but I have a feeling that those are not what you're talking about. There is a rumor that a great treasure is buried beneath the Palace, in the center of a maze, but I doubt that's true. What king would leave a treasure untouched for so long? Beyond that, I don't really know. I wish I could be of more help."

eriquell
2010-07-06, 03:36 PM
"is that all you know of"

Savannah
2010-07-06, 03:50 PM
"That's all I can think of. Sewers under the entire city and rumors of a maze and treasure vault beneath the palace."

eriquell
2010-07-06, 10:27 PM
do you know of anyone or any tombs with information on this maze."

Savannah
2010-07-06, 10:50 PM
"You are welcome to consult with Mistress Adara. She's our historian and librarian. You can find her in the room of records at the top of the tower."

eriquell
2010-07-06, 10:54 PM
"thank you so much i'll see you soon."
im gonna go consult with her

Savannah
2010-07-06, 11:03 PM
The room of records is a circular at the very top of the tower. It is completely full of books, papers, and scrolls. Sitting at a table, studying a book, is the oldest elf woman that you have ever seen. She looks up when you come in, and smiles. "Ah, a visitor. I am Adara. It looks like you've come to talk, not to borrow a book. Here, have a seat and some tea. Now, what can I do for you?"

eriquell
2010-07-06, 11:06 PM
"thank you." he sips the tea and says this is really good. well i need to knw about a maze under the city.

Savannah
2010-07-07, 12:13 AM
"A maze underneath the city? Let me think." She stares into her tea for a long moment, then gets up and walks to a bookshelf. She begins pulling down books and reading.

Finally, she brings a book over to the table. "This is the oldest reference I could find, but it's badly damaged.

"It says, 'And then the Eight took her below, and they bound her there, to hold the rest in place, lest - ' and I can't make out the next bit ' - built a labyrinth, and above that a palace, and the Eight raised one of their own as Emperor, in order to keep her secret. And so she waited, waited until one would come to break her bonds and - ' and I can't make any more out.

"Here is a picture that seems to go with the story, although I'm not sure who it is." She turns the book towards you, and you see a woodcut of a beautiful woman's face. It is unmistakably the woman from your dream.

eriquell
2010-07-07, 05:39 PM
"I HAVE SEEN THAT WOMAN IN MY DREAMS!"

Savannah
2010-07-07, 09:21 PM
"No need to shout. If you've seen her, then maybe that means that the labyrinth is real. I know that there are some that say that a great treasure is buried there, but this seems to suggest that it's a woman. Most people either don't know about it or believe it to be a myth. If your dreams are prophetic, then they indicate otherwise. Perhaps you should see about searching under the Palace."

eriquell
2010-07-07, 09:27 PM
"i wouldn't know where to start. Does the tome say anything about of a way to get in there?"

Savannah
2010-07-07, 09:39 PM
"Sadly, it does not. Although..." she gets up and begins pulling books down again. Eventually she returns with a small book.

"This is a journal of a notorious thief. He mentions going through the sewers near the palace, and finding that part of the sewer wall had crumbled, revealing more passages. Here's where it was," she gives you directions to the sewer entrance and the area. "However, that's where the rat plague started. You'd best be careful if you go in there."

eriquell
2010-07-07, 09:43 PM
"thank you so much you have played a big part in this quest of mine."

Savannah
2010-07-07, 09:58 PM
"Why, thank you." She smiles. "At my age, helping on a quest is quite rare. Do come again, if you have further questions."

What are you planning to do now?

edit: I like the avatar!

eriquell
2010-07-07, 10:00 PM
Im gonna follow this journal an find these hiddin passages wherever the wall crumbled.

OOC:Thanks lol.

Savannah
2010-07-08, 10:32 PM
Despite the librarian's warning about this area being the start of the rat plague, you don't see any rats as you approach the sewer grate.

You're going to need a strength check to open the grate. What source of light are you using in the sewers?

OOC: It changed! I like this one, too.

eriquell
2010-07-09, 05:53 AM
Strength check:
[roll0]

darkvision will be my way of illumination

Savannah
2010-07-10, 02:16 PM
Ah, forgot about the darkvision.

The sewer is empty of rats, an unusual occurance even without the rat plague. In fact, it is empty even of insects.

You follow the directions until you come to an area where there is a partially crumbled wall, creating a hole near the top of the sewer passage. Beyond it, you can see worked stone.

Spot and Listen checks, please.

eriquell
2010-07-13, 01:08 PM
Spot Check:
[roll0]

Listen Check:
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-07-13, 07:17 PM
You hear crunching from slightly further down the sewer tunnel. It sounds like something eating.

eriquell
2010-07-13, 07:19 PM
I'm going to ready my blade and proceed with caution to this crunching sound. i will sneak up to just when it comes into sight.

Savannah
2010-07-13, 07:28 PM
Just around a bend in the tunnel, you see a ... thing. It's about the size of a human, but it appears to be mostly a molten mass of flesh. Its head and torso look vaguely humanoid and it is eating a rat, which was the crunching you'd heard.

eriquell
2010-07-13, 07:59 PM
i am going to detect evil without moving another inch

Savannah
2010-07-13, 08:37 PM
It is definitely evil.

eriquell
2010-07-13, 08:55 PM
i am gonna charge and attack it
Attack Roll:
[roll0]
Damage Roll:
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-07-13, 08:56 PM
Your sword bites deep into the creature, and it whips around and claws at you.

DM [roll0] <- gonna cheat a tiny bit and call that 9, giving him 1 hp now

Savannah
2010-07-13, 08:59 PM
can't edit initiative roll back in, so: Initiative [roll0]

eriquell
2010-07-13, 09:02 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]
if my turn again 2nd attack:
Attack Roll:
[roll1]
Damage Roll:
[roll2]

Savannah
2010-07-15, 12:14 AM
You lop its head neatly off on the return stroke. You don't hear anything else.

eriquell
2010-07-15, 04:06 PM
what do i see around me

Savannah
2010-07-15, 06:20 PM
You're still in the sewers. You don't see much of interest, although you note that there are no rats, which is unusual.

Behind you is the hole in the wall into what you believe is the maze.

eriquell
2010-07-16, 06:27 PM
im going to go thru the hole and examine everything

Savannah
2010-07-16, 06:33 PM
Alright, the hole is fairly high up on the wall. After you scramble through, you find yourself in what appears to be a small storeroom. It looks like it was abandoned a long time ago, however, as it contains only empty shelves. There is a door on one wall.

You can roll a Search check if you want to search the room.

eriquell
2010-07-16, 06:55 PM
Search check:
[roll0]
if i dn't see or notice anything on the search check i'll make my way to opening the door

Savannah
2010-07-16, 07:23 PM
Ouch. Bad roll. You don't spot anything.

The door seems to be stuck shut. Strength check to open it.

eriquell
2010-07-16, 10:52 PM
Strength Check:
[roll0]
if i open the door im gonna ready my blade.

Savannah
2010-07-16, 11:13 PM
The door pops open, revealing.....a brick wall. Apparently this room was boarded up some time in the past.

eriquell
2010-07-16, 11:13 PM
is smashing thru it an option

Savannah
2010-07-16, 11:52 PM
There's no way for you to tell by sight.

You hear a faint creak behind you.

DMSpot [roll0], Listen [roll1]

eriquell
2010-07-17, 10:40 AM
i quickly turn around and try to figure out what it is

OOC:do you want me to make those checks?

Savannah
2010-07-17, 02:32 PM
You notice a small section of the floor is a trap door. Something has just lifted it a bit, and as you turn around you see it closing.

OOC: what checks?

eriquell
2010-07-21, 03:58 AM
you see him sort of look and in a blink of an eye he darts towards the trap door

Savannah
2010-07-21, 07:49 PM
It has closed by the time you reach it. Do you want to open it? (Also, Listen check.)

eriquell
2010-07-24, 12:10 AM
Listen Check:
[roll0]

I am going to open the door.

Savannah
2010-07-24, 12:43 AM
Beneath the trap door, you discover a tunnel, clearly quite old but well made. After a short distance, it makes a sharp turn to the right. There is no sign of whatever had opened the trapdoor.

eriquell
2010-07-25, 01:10 AM
what is at the end of this tunnel

Savannah
2010-07-28, 09:53 PM
(I'm assuming that you are climbing down into the tunnel in order to find out.)

The tunnel slops gently downward, and looking around the corner, you see it continues for a short way before ending in a door. Something is written on the door, but you can't make it out from this distance.

OOC: Sorry I disappeared there for a while. I think I'm back for good now.

eriquell
2010-07-31, 03:38 AM
im going to cautiously approach this door and make out what is written on it

OOC:
its ok lol everybody gets too busy sometimes even me

Savannah
2010-07-31, 01:45 PM
It says, in rather archaic common, "Turn back, lest that which holds all is unbound, and the world burns again."

The door is slightly open.

eriquell
2010-08-01, 04:41 AM
im going to go threw this door. he goes to open the door having no regard for the sign

Savannah
2010-08-01, 03:38 PM
The door opens onto a hallway going 5' south and turning west, and 15' north and turning west:
http://a.imageshack.us/img830/7276/labyrinthdoorb.png (You're the x; sorry it's tiny)

The walls and floors are smooth granite, and you don't see any other signs of life.

eriquell
2010-08-03, 03:26 AM
I'm going to go north (the longer hallway).

Savannah
2010-08-03, 03:49 AM
The passage continues onward for as far as you can see. After 20 feet, there is a passage to the south.
http://a.imageshack.us/img714/7384/labyrinthstep2.png

Listen and Spot checks, please.

eriquell
2010-08-04, 07:13 PM
Listen Check:
[roll0]
Spot Check:
[roll1]

Savannah
2010-08-04, 08:48 PM
You hear shuffling from ahead.

eriquell
2010-08-05, 04:28 PM
how far is it i have 60 ft. of darkvision

Savannah
2010-08-05, 06:05 PM
You can't see whatever it is yet. You think it might be coming from the side passage.

Savannah
2010-08-19, 01:16 AM
Hey, you still there?