PDA

View Full Version : how do you get a familiar to be animal companion?

taltamir
2010-06-29, 02:37 AM
IIRC, there is an explicit prohibition on having an animal companion be your familiar.

However, I recall hearing from someone that there is a char op trick to do so...

Can anyone explain the method to me?

2xMachina
2010-06-29, 02:40 AM
UA variant.

Trades the familiar for an AC (of a druid half your level).

Also, maybe the Arcane Hierophant thing to stack familiar on your AC.

PId6
2010-06-29, 02:42 AM
Arcane Hierophant PrC from RotW. It's a theurge class for Arcane/Druid, and makes your animal companion have familiar abilities as well.

taltamir
2010-06-29, 09:02 AM
thank you very much.

Another_Poet
2010-06-29, 10:17 AM
Could you just take the Wild Cohort feat and designate the familiar as your wild cohort?

A wild cohort is not an animal companion (benefits are slightly different, though nearly identical) so the normal prohibition wouldn't apply. And I don't believe the wild cohort feat description contains any prohibition on it either.

Eldariel
2010-06-29, 11:17 AM
Yeah, Arcane Hierophant is the key. Combine that with Beastmaster and Devoted Tracker and you can combine:
All Animal Companions (except the subsequents from Beastmaster)
Mount
Familiar

Into one creature.

The-Mage-King
2010-06-29, 11:19 AM
Could you just take the Wild Cohort feat and designate the familiar as your wild cohort?

A wild cohort is not an animal companion (benefits are slightly different, though nearly identical) so the normal prohibition wouldn't apply. And I don't believe the wild cohort feat description contains any prohibition on it either.

Where's that from?

Eldariel
2010-06-29, 11:20 AM
Wizards Site (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a)