PDA

View Full Version : Lab coats itp?

Xyk
2010-06-29, 04:09 AM
So as I was skimming through xkcd's archives at 4 in the morning, I came across the one about lab coats. I think they would add a certain flair to my garb during the mild winters we experience in Texas. Is there a doctor in the playground who buys them at stores or something or would I have to look online? I prefer stores because you can be much more sure of the quality of fabric and construction.

Eldan
2010-06-29, 04:12 AM
The only thing I can say that our university's office supply shop has a rack full of them in between the folders and birthday cards...

To expand on that: I don't know why you would wear them in winter. I mean, they are cotton coats, through enough, but they aren't warm, and not especially comfy.

randman22222
2010-06-29, 04:29 AM
The only thing I can say that our university's office supply shop has a rack full of them in between the folders and birthday cards...

To expand on that: I don't know why you would wear them in winter. I mean, they are cotton coats, through enough, but they aren't warm, and not especially comfy.

But I'll be expletived if they aren't good looking. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-06-29, 04:32 AM
Oh, true.

Especially mine, with the burn marks, blood stains and acid holes. :smallamused:

Lycan 01
2010-06-29, 04:35 AM
I want a lab coat now...

Why am I reminded of an episode of Phineas and Ferb involving a lab coat fashion craze? :smallconfused:

randman22222
2010-06-29, 04:36 AM
Oh, true.

Especially mine, with the burn marks, blood stains and acid holes. :smallamused:

Smexy. :smallbiggrin:

Boo
2010-06-29, 04:42 AM
I think they're comfy, but I do agree that they aren't the warmest things out there. Of course you're in texas, so your winters are not exactly cold.

There's not much special in the way of lab coats. They come in few styles, and the only flair they have is a name embroidered on the right side of the chest. Then again, a lab coat is what you make it (or burn/stain/rip it).

There is not any "official" place to get lab coats (obviously), so looking online would be your only option outside of a costume shop, thrift store, a lab/hospital or your buddy's closet. I found a coat in a thrift store once, but it was too small (damn you normal arm length).

http://www.justlabcoats.com/long-lab-coats.aspx
http://www.matesuniforms.ca/lab_coats/intro.htm
http://www.labwear.com/shop/mens-lab-coats.htm

Serpentine
2010-06-29, 04:45 AM
Seconding the university store option. Though... I think we ordered ours? I dunno, I've had mine for 7 years.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-29, 04:46 AM
So as I was skimming through xkcd's archives at 4 in the morning...

Sorry not sure on where to get one (just try google), but I do love xkcd's stuff. My favorite is the one where the guy says "I know you can hear me," in an empty room on the off chance someone is actually listening. In fact, I'm going to test that as soon as I'm done replying.

Eldan
2010-06-29, 04:57 AM
Smexy. :smallbiggrin:

Well, it does look cool, but the stench is difficult to get out, sadly. I might have to buy a new one.

Seffbasilisk
2010-06-29, 12:43 PM
Though a lot of ebay skimming, I've found a few before. The lowest I can find, and still keep the quality I consider basic, combined with shipping, comes out to around $25.

Debating hitting up http://www.justlabcoats.com/Shopping-Cart.aspx though...

Krade
2010-06-29, 12:47 PM

He did say "mild winters of Texas." I've been to Texas in February, it's not very cold. Chilly, at times, but not cold.

Though I do suppose it would make a difference exactly where in Texas you are since it is big enough to have noticeable temperature differences in the north and south.

BisectedBrioche
2010-06-29, 12:49 PM
I tried buying one a while ago but I couldn't find anywhere that didn't only sell in bulk to labs, hospitals and unis and the like.

The nearest thing I have is an antistatic garb (which is a bit like an oversized formal shirt).

Gryffon
2010-06-29, 01:11 PM
Since Dr. Horrible appeared on the scene, you can go to etsy.com and there are any number of lab coats available.

altruist
2010-06-29, 01:24 PM
Well, it does look cool, but the stench is difficult to get out, sadly. I might have to buy a new one.

Try using a hot water soak with a cupful of white vinegar. ;)

Although that might take the blood out, I'm sure you can replace it in no time.

Elder Tsofu
2010-06-29, 01:26 PM
I like my labcoat so I can understand you getting one of your own.
I'm also positive that my coat is the last one without burnholes after 4 years of education. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-06-29, 01:40 PM
If your lab coat is clean after four years, you're doing it wrong!

I mean, the holes and stains are half the fun of owning one.

"And this hand print is where my friend slapped me with a glove covered in silver nitrate. This is rat's blood, and this is monkey blood."

Edit: I actually regularly wash it, so the stains aren't usually older than a weak.

Scorpina
2010-06-29, 01:43 PM
I own a labcoat, got it from a second hand shop. One near a University. That seems like a good place to look.

BisectedBrioche
2010-06-29, 01:46 PM

"And this hand print is where my friend slapped me with a glove covered in silver nitrate. This is rat's blood, and this is monkey blood."

Edit: I actually regularly wash it, so the stains aren't usually older than a weak.

Aren't they the entire point of owning one (so they're on the coat and not your clothes or skin)?

Elder Tsofu
2010-06-29, 02:25 PM
I'm just careful - we had a supervisor during the first chemistry courses who snorted at protection clothing and would probably gladly let us perform the laborations naked if it wasn't for the indecency of the thing. :smalltongue:
She claimed that people got careless when using stuff like gloves and thus spilled more chemicals.

LCR
2010-06-29, 02:27 PM

This depends on your work place. If you work in a hospital, your labcoat better be clean and ironed.

Telonius
2010-06-29, 02:30 PM
Double awesome points if you wear this shirt (http://www.offworlddesigns.com/p-291-fools-i-will-destroy-you-t-shirt.aspx) underneath it. :smallbiggrin:

J.Gellert
2010-06-29, 04:06 PM
I got mine from a "professional garb" shop, got plenty of those around. The places-to-go for all white coat needs, for doctors, chemists, barbers, etc.

So much better than suits.

Asta Kask
2010-06-29, 04:12 PM
Oh, true.

Aren't you the guy who does research on bees? Are they really that dangerous?
:smalleek:

Eldan
2010-06-29, 05:34 PM
I also take lectures besides working on the research project.

The burns are from chemistry lab in the first two semesters, about two years ago. Most chemical stains are also from back then, those I couldn't wash out. BLood stains are from anatomy classes I took (not getting any credits for it, just interesting).

Xyk
2010-06-29, 06:06 PM
There are more replies than I expected in the time I was sleeping and building with k'nex.

I live in central texas and we get snow like one day out of every 5 or 6 years. Average winter day is about 45 degrees fahrenheit. So there might be stores that sell lab coats and would be labeled as professional clothing stores. That sounds reasonable, I'll see if we have any of those in convenient distance. Of course there is no rush. It's still the beginning of summer.