PDA

View Full Version : Healing with Feats

Darwin
2010-06-29, 09:17 AM
I recently started my first character in the excellent Gestalt Dungeon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153950) Crawl. With my second death came the realization that I need some way to heal my character from the horrible wounds/acid/burns/broken bones the unforgiving environment keeps dishing out.

I'm quite content with my class build (Human Factotum//Warblade), and I'll become able to heal easily with spells and gear later on, so I'd like to hear a few ideas for early healing using only feats, cheap equipment and/or skills.

Prodan
2010-06-29, 09:19 AM
Equipment: Belt of Healing
Skills: not so much
Feats: Poison Healer?

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:19 AM
Wands of vigor. I think the price per charge is 15 gp for 11HP or something. just get a wand with 4 or 5 charges.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 09:23 AM
Reserve healing might be useful too.

Aldgar
2010-06-29, 09:23 AM
As a Warblade, pick Vital Recovery for 3+Your level Hp healing per encounter.

As a Crusader, Pick Stonepower for Pseudo-fast healing if you attack(Various amounts, depending on your BAB and Steely resolve pool, up to 10 at Crusader level 4 & BAB 5)

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:25 AM
I also remember an alchemical item that heals a D6, but I think it was in a 3.0 book.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-29, 09:28 AM
There's a feat for shifters that allows you to heal a small number of fit points when you come out of a shift. There's also a feat in Complete Warrior called faster healing that allows you to recover hit point faster.

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:34 AM
Oh! Tomb Tainted soul and a boot full of black sand will do it too.

Hmm... Just need to pay a caster to cast the spell (Sand domain 3rd I think) and a chicken (like 3cp I think.)

Prodan
2010-06-29, 09:34 AM
Combat Vigor would work too.

Darrin
2010-06-29, 09:35 AM
I'd like to hear a few ideas for early healing using only feats, cheap equipment and/or skills.

Draconic Aura from Dragon Magic might work, if you can get your DM to agree that you can use it to pick up the Vigor aura from PHBII (by RAW, it appears to only apply to those draconic auras in Dragon Magic).

Martial Study and Martial Stance can be used to pick up a Crusader strike and stance that offer some minor in-combat healing... I don't recall exactly which strike or stance off the top of my head. Out of combat, they're a little harder to use, although you might be able to work something out with a friendly spellcaster with some low-level summon monster spells.

Shape Soulmeld can be used to pick up Theraputic Mantle and Lifebond Vestments.

Other than that... optimize UMD + Wands of Vigor.

Keld Denar
Isn't there a Soulmeld for that?

Alternative, isn't there a Vestige for that?

Alternatively, Martial Study for Crusader Strike. Out of combat, punch someone, wait a couple minues, then punch them again when it refreshes. The non-lethal damage you deal should be healed instantly, as the healing restores equal amounts lethal and non-lethal. Awkward, but legal.

You can get all with feats.

Prime32
The Tomb-Tainted Soul feat lets you heal from negative energy instead of positive. A dread necromancer has an at-will negative energy touch. Do the match.

(alternatively, necropolitan is an LA +0 template which changes your type to undead)

EDIT: Gear? Put some black sand in your clothes. It's an item from Sandstorm which is surrounded by magical darkness and deals continuous negative energy damage.

Prodan
2010-06-29, 09:37 AM
The Tomb-Tainted Soul feat lets you heal from negative energy instead of positive. A dread necromancer has an at-will negative energy touch. Do the match.

Touch yourself to heal?

taltamir
2010-06-29, 09:41 AM
keep in mind that if you get unlimited healing, the DM will just throw more stuff at you a day.

The safest bet is wands of lesser vigor.
cost 750gp each, come with 50 charges, each cast cost 15gp and heals you of 11HP over 66 seconds.

Darklord Xavez
2010-06-29, 09:54 AM
Take Rapid Metabolism (at least I think that's what it's called) from Complete Warrior. Double natural healing rate FTW!
-Xavez

Ferrin
2010-06-29, 09:58 AM
Don't you get some healing from level 5 in Factotum as well based on your wisdom?

Vizzerdrix
2010-06-29, 09:59 AM
Don't you get some healing from level 5 in Factotum as well based on your wisdom?

He wants healing at level 1 for the Neverending Dungeon

Darwin
2010-06-29, 10:03 AM
He wants healing at level 1 for the Neverending Dungeon

Correct. Once I reach the end of floor 1 I'll be able to buy a wand with a few Lesser Vigor charges that'll keep me alive.

I like Vital Recovery and a low-charged Wand of Lesser Vigor. Both are viable at level 1, and I can easily replace Vital Recovery with retraining when it becomes redundant.

alchemyprime
2010-06-29, 10:12 AM
There was an alchemical healing item. Healing Salve, the Tome and Blood version, that heals 1d8 hp, and works equally well on warforged and Modrons as it does humans! Give that one a shot.

balistafreak
2010-06-29, 10:14 AM
On the subject of Soulmelds/Incarnum, be a Lesser Mechanatrix Incarnate from Fiend Folio. You'll have to shape the Lightning Gauntlets (bleh) but these can be used for infinite healing - buh?

Because Mechanatrix heal from electric damage. Oh yes.

Granted, they have few other perks (I want my human bonus feat, blargh) but that is quite nice.

This is simply for reference, as you've already said you're happy with being Human. (And to be frank, we are awesome.)

taltamir
2010-06-29, 10:18 AM
the funny thing is, a truenamer can dish out the most healing per day :P (if you con't count things that give infinite free healing)

Mushroom Ninja
2010-06-29, 12:21 PM
The Devoted Spirit stance Martial Spirit might help.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-29, 04:57 PM
Brand of the Nine Hells + Mark of Malbolge from Fiendish Codex II gives you nearly unlimited swift action healing, at the rate of 2d6 + your HD per round, though if your Con modifier is low you'll have to wait a bit between rounds that you heal in. Plus Mark of Malbolge gives you a bunch of other nice combat options. You need to be Lawful Evil, though.

Darwin
2010-06-29, 05:05 PM
Now that is bitchin'! Why have I never heard of this before? :smallconfused:

SurlySeraph
2010-06-29, 05:11 PM
Obscure book. Also, you may need to have Outsider type to qualify, I need to double check.

EDIT: "Devil" is a prerequisite to take Brand of the Nine Hells. While you could evade that on the grounds that they don't actually define what that means and there is no Devil subtype, there's good odds your DM will insist you be a Lawful Evil outsider, probably of a monster race. Worth a try, though. In any case, Neraph + Alter Self could certainly do it.

Marriclay
2010-06-29, 08:12 PM
Obscure book. Also, you may need to have Outsider type to qualify, I need to double check.

EDIT: "Devil" is a prerequisite to take Brand of the Nine Hells. While you could evade that on the grounds that they don't actually define what that means and there is no Devil subtype, there's good odds your DM will insist you be a Lawful Evil outsider, probably of a monster race. Worth a try, though. In any case, Neraph + Alter Self could certainly do it.

I suppose a good Tiefling and a diplomacy check could possibly pull it off

Il_Vec
2010-06-29, 09:59 PM
No mentions of Trollblooded, is there a reason?

Marriclay
2010-06-29, 10:08 PM
No mentions of Trollblooded, is there a reason?I would have, but I figured people were avoiding it for some reason. Not sure why though.