PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] The Doctor

Holocron Coder
2010-06-29, 10:49 AM
I posted something similar before, but nobody responded...

In a nutshell, I need to create The Doctor, a la Doctor Who. Specifically, it will probably be 10.

Crunch-wise, it's a gestalt game, with following scores: 18, 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 at ECL 12. Yes, aren't I lucky :smallbiggrin: The Doctor, as we all know, is a pacifist, so I would like to retain that aspect of his personality, if at all possible, and possibly receive mechanical benefit for doing so. Additionally, the Time Lord race is in my signature, but in a nutshell: +4 cha, +4 int, +2 wis, bardic knowledge based on class level, immunity to time-based spells, time lord regeneration (as show), telepathy 10ft, Speak Language as class skill always, racial type is Outsider (native).

Currently, I'm tending toward Factotum // Bard / Exemplar, but I know there must be a better way to represent him. Any suggestions? And, if an arcane class is included, what sort of spells should I tend towards that won't seem too out of place?

Kaje
2010-06-29, 10:57 AM
Maybe some Artificer perhaps?

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 11:00 AM
weapon profficiency: sonic screwdriver. sure as heck canbt be the doctor without a sonic screwdriver!

Holocron Coder
2010-06-29, 11:02 AM
Hehe, aye. I'll probably end up putting in the sonic screwdriver as some sort of item of legacy with large bonuses to disable device and pick lock... as a start :smallbiggrin:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 11:02 AM
Maybe some Artificer perhaps?

Factotum Artificer of Wizard Artificer.

Draconi Redfir
2010-06-29, 11:06 AM
favored enemy: Daleks perhaps? or would it be more of "least favored" ?

Ranos
2010-06-29, 11:33 AM
D&D really isn't the system to handle the doctor. Guy's main power is being made of solid plotarmorium. You're gonna need some measure of narrative control to replicate that.
Anyway, artificer is probably the closest you'll get. If you can, get yourself some items to boost your social skills through the roof. Also, use power crystals to replicate that psionic time travelling trick.

Analytica
2010-06-29, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, the Doctor is a 30th-level Artificer/Factotum with a unique template/race that grants the Time Lord properties.

nyarlathotep
2010-06-29, 12:03 PM
Factotum//artificer/chameleon/gatecrasher

Pie Guy
2010-06-29, 12:40 PM
Artificer/Factotum.
That is pretty much him.

Holocron Coder
2010-06-29, 01:13 PM
Hm. I'm only passingly familiar with the Artificer, but I'm unsure how an item-creation class ties into the concept of The Doctor :smallconfused:

Can someone explain? :smallsmile:

Bigbrother87
2010-06-29, 02:47 PM
Hm. I'm only passingly familiar with the Artificer, but I'm unsure how an item-creation class ties into the concept of The Doctor :smallconfused:

Can someone explain? :smallsmile:

You're not kidding? More than half the episodes are solved by the Doctor whipping up some device/machanical solution to the problem, be it a detector, a gun disabler, or a rewiring of an escape pod's circuits to allow it extradimensional flight in time to catch up to the enemy space ship and save the day by dropping a hastily made something into an exhaust port.

Note, the last example hasn't happened to me knowledge, yet, but it's something he'd do.

An Artificer, a class that makes magic items that he/she needs before they're needed, or when needed, is right up the Doctor's alley. You could even roleplay it as simple as the Doctor taking a pile of rubbish parts, taking five minutes with his Sonic Screwdriver, and coming out of it with exactly the device needed.