PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: MASS Effect (Samus Shepard, Paragon Soldier)

Croverus
2010-06-29, 11:47 AM
So I've played thorugh Mass Effect 1 with a bunch of characters and made severl into ME2, and thanks to unlocking a lot of achievments I have access to an extra power at the start of ME1 now. Which is actually something I never noticed...

In any case I wondered if it'd be fun to do a Mass Effect Let's Play. Unfourtanetly I'm playign on XBOX so The only way I can get pictures is if I hook up my webcam and take snapshots of the screen... which I coudl do should the massesrequest it. Read the spoilers for my rules.

1. Any major choice in the game will be asked and decided upon by the masses. This will include Gender, class, origin, military history, and my bonus ability at game start. Currently I can pick Barrier, Lift, Throw, Singularity, Sabatoge, and Overload at character creation.

2. For his/her appearance, give a description of what you think Shep should look like, with as little or as much detail as you think. I'll pick one that looks awesome. Name will be based on coolness.

3. As a group decide early on what Shep's overall personality will be like. This will help me get through Dialogue without asking you guys for every single response. Any major plot points we'll try and decide ahead of time.

4. Squad members will have autolevel up, Shep won't. I'll assign points with your opinions in mind. And squad selection is up to you guys. Including whether or not I recruit them.

5. For equipment I'll more or less just make sure Shep has the best stuff possible, though any preferences will be taken into consideration.

6. Will be playing on Hard mode. If we die, we get one chance to try at that mission/fight again. A second death is recorded and it's game over :(

7. Should we have a game over the options include starting again from scratch or starting again witht eh same character on a different difficulty setting.

Since a lot can be done in a single play thorugh I'll try and post at least every night asking what you wish for Shep to do and then will make sure I can get some snapshots of Shep in action. I'll ask for string sof optins.

Example: If you tell em to go to Noveria, also tell me how you think I should react to the security, what I should do about the shopkeeper wanting to smuggle goods, if I should help Lorik or screw him over, and if the Administrator should be arrested or not. After All that I'll post an update and ask for the next step.

The main point is we should have fun withthis. If we make it to the end of the game I'll start up a continuation in ME2!

Croverus
2010-06-29, 11:49 AM
So first set of choices:
>Male of Female Shep
>Class
>Origin Story
>Military Background
>Extra Power (see spoiler)
>Basic Appearance
>Personality? (if you want a game long style of how Shep gets through conversations)

SilverSheriff
2010-06-29, 12:29 PM
>Male
>Soldier
>Colonist
>lone survivor
>Barrier
>scarred, grizzled bad-ass
>complete tosser who punches people left, right and center.:smalltongue:

Croverus
2010-06-29, 01:27 PM
A soldier with barrier, man, there's a tank for ya.

Let's see if there are any other suggestions. I'll wait for... 8 hours before I'll think about a decision.

Comet
2010-06-29, 01:42 PM
First, let's get the obligatory out of the way:
Are you familiar with the Metroid game series?
If yes, you know what to do.

If not, I'll vote like this instead, just to contrast the previous voter:

>Female
>Engineer
>Spacer
>Hero
>Barrier
>non-soldier looking, average girl next door by Hollywood standards
>Full-on Paragon who appears with Tali and Liara wherever there's trouble and proceeds to save everyone with the power of friendship and science. Geeky Charlie's Angels in space, if you will.

There, that should be pretty much the polar opposite of what Black_Pants_Guy voted. Variety is the spice of life.

chiasaur11
2010-06-29, 02:03 PM
Female
Soldier or Engineer
Colonist
Sole Survivor or War Hero
Good guy, but with a predilection for mass destruction, a strong fondness for getting paid, and a real hatred for Batarians.
Blond. Possibly a ponytail.
Name her "Sam".

Croverus
2010-06-29, 02:22 PM
I'm seeing an early push for the Samus Expy, which I fully endorse. Conjob's description of a Charlie's Angels IN SPACE gameplay style would be pretty fun. Let's see what other creative ideas people come up with.

Croverus
2010-06-29, 09:45 PM
Shameless Bump... I'd like a couple more people

doliest
2010-06-29, 10:00 PM
Female
Infiltrator
Spacer
Ruthless
Warp
Crazy
Schizophrenic character with a tendency to switch sides on a drop of a coin. A female Jack Sparrow, essentially.

Cobalt
2010-06-29, 10:31 PM
Female
Soldier or Engineer
Colonist
Good guy, but with a predilection for mass destruction, a strong fondness for getting paid, and a real hatred for Batarians.
Name her "Sam".

That. It reads 'Win' all over.

Croverus
2010-06-29, 10:55 PM
As soon as I finish "I am Bruce" I'll make a decision. I think I'm gonna end up making a Samus Expy... should be awesome.

Comet
2010-06-30, 03:18 AM
As soon as I finish "I am Bruce" I'll make a decision. I think I'm gonna end up making a Samus Expy... should be awesome.

That it should. We tried pushing for Samus the previous time someone was making a Mass Effect LP, but the thing never really came through.

Anyway, I'm happy as long as it's a female Shepard. If you're going to have to listen to someone deliver corny space dialogue for hours on end, it might as well be someone like Jennifer Hale.

Wandiya
2010-06-30, 03:43 AM
Female
Soldier or Engineer
Colonist
Name her "SamUS".

Bolded for detail

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-30, 05:36 AM
It may well be academical a this point, but chalk up another vote of Samus Shepard.

ObadiahtheSlim
2010-06-30, 07:30 AM
Soldier Samus Sheppard.

Croverus
2010-06-30, 09:58 AM
Alright, I think I've decided then. Shep is going to have the following:

>Female
>Soldier (Was considering Engineer but Samus is a warrior who blasts the s*** out of her enemies)
>Colonist (it was that or spacer, colonist fit better)
>War Hero
>Barrier (cause a soldier with Barrier will tear the enemy apart)
>Will attempt to model after Samus, including a blonde ponytail
>She's gonna be a nice person all around, and since no one else made a preference for team members, she'll take on the baddies with Tali and Liara. All three are purists in their fields. Samus Shepard tries to save as many lives as she can,
>Name Samus Shepard

I'll get started tonight, try and get some pictures of her during character creation. I'm not going to assign any skill points until after Jenkins dies, and at that time I'll just ask your opinion on where you think I should assign the skill points. Team members will be on auto level up unless requested otherwise. Targetting assitance will be low.

SilverSheriff
2010-06-30, 10:13 AM
Could you at least punch the Reporter? for meeeee? :smalltongue:

Comet
2010-06-30, 10:17 AM
Could you at least punch the Reporter? for meeeee? :smalltongue:

"I have had enough with your snide insinuations!"

The reporter deserves to get one in the face. Every time, all the time.

Croverus
2010-06-30, 10:18 AM
If enough people want Samus Shepard to Falcon Punch the Reporter, then I'll video it. And maybe put it on youtube... Oh! I can put my videos on youtube, I just realized that. I just need a TV that doesn't have a bad glare on it when being recorded.

chiasaur11
2010-06-30, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Samus needs enough renegade to get some intimidate on.

I mean, once again citing Captain N, because if you're badass there you're badass anywhere,

"A month in solitary, or a month in the hospital. Your choice."

This was in prison. Unarmed.

Croverus
2010-06-30, 01:25 PM
So I won't be spending any of my Talent points until after Jenkins dies, and should reach level 3 by the time I find Nihlus dead. I want to know where you think I should assign my Talent points. I automatically get two free points, one in Assault Training and one in Assault Rifles,a dn I'm spending one to get Barrier. This leaves me with 8 points that I can spend.

Below I listed all the talents available to me on eden prime. Talents can go up to 12. A o represents a level I can spend a point in, x is a level in the Talent that has already had a point spent on it, and - is not accessible until I reach a higher level or unlock a talent. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Soldier Is a good place to view the Soldier class for ME1 (and 2) and tells when I'd unlock talents. Clicking on a Talent on that page will also list what effects you gain at each level of the talent, etc.

Assault Training xoo---------
Fitness ------------
Assault Rifles xoo---------
Sniper Rifles ------------
Pistols ooo---------
Shotguns ------------
Combat Armor ooo---------
First Aid ------------
Barrier xoo---------
Charm ooo
Inimidate ooo
Soldier ooo---

Croverus
2010-06-30, 11:42 PM
Ok, took a picture of the side view of our Samus. Idk, it looks meh...

She has blue eyes and a blonde ponytail so there.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/181/2/e/Mass_Effect_Saamus_Attempt_by_Croverus.jpg

doliest
2010-06-30, 11:58 PM
Looks good, about as close to Samus Aran as Mass Effect would allow.

Croverus
2010-07-01, 12:17 AM
Yeah, considering you can't make the character's features less angular. Not easilly. Let me know if there's any personal opinion on skill placement.

Croverus
2010-07-01, 01:03 AM
So, Eden Prime is complete. I haven't yet started the Citadel stuff. So far I have yet to make any Renegade decisions. Maxing Charisma. I'll post a "Mission Report" after plot points and "Captain's Logs" after side missions. The first will be posted tomorrow, detailing decisions made and outlining how the mission went. This will be also when I really add to the character. I'll start trying to take snapshots and maybe record some video now and then.

Unless you guys say otherwise I do not plan to romance Kaidan. Ashley, Liara, and Tali will be my backup for nearly all missions. Not planning on romancing Liara either unless the masses call for HoYay. Barrier has been proving useful even early on. Weapon of choice is looking like Assault Rifles will get a head start.

Let me know if you guys want me to do anything specific while on the citadel.

doliest
2010-07-01, 01:07 AM
Liara gets my vote for game one. I've got no suggestion for skills, I never played a good soldier.

Wandiya
2010-07-01, 03:39 AM
Can I request that you don't equip a helmet? :smallwink:
Also, FALCON PUNCHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

Croverus
2010-07-01, 12:47 PM
Samus will never wear her helmet when she doesn't have to.

Falcon Punching the Reporter will be one of the few actions that Samaus Shepard will get Renegade points for. So far I'ma botu to dock at the council and have not had a seingle renegade point. My Charm si already at level 5 :smalltongue:

Will be posting the Mission Report this afternoon. In the mean time, what would you all like to see done while at the Citadel? I do side missions more or less any time I'm in the area and want the XP (I will have all 21 keeper scans before leaving the Citade) but some of the missions can be held off until after becoming a Spectre (and they should be held off if I want the extra Charm points).

Comet
2010-07-01, 01:07 PM
My suggestion? Skip most everything 'till you get Tali and Liara in your party. Wouldn't feel right to go on space adventures without them.

Croverus
2010-07-01, 02:01 PM
Ok, so go straight to council, then talk to harkin, recruit Garrus, take down Fisk, save Tali and get Wrex. Should I kill Fisk myself, let Wrex kill him, or let Fisk live?

After I get Spectre status I'll go rescue Liara and then go about saving the galaxy with her and Tali.

Comet
2010-07-01, 02:11 PM
I'd say let Fisk live after harassing him a bit. He's a small time criminal and doesn't really need to face the full wrath of the destroyer of worlds.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-07-01, 03:21 PM
Yeah. He doesn't seem to warrant a shotgun to the face, honestly.

Sneak
2010-07-01, 04:33 PM
Or you could just take Wrex and not have to decide either way. :smalltongue:

Croverus
2010-07-01, 04:44 PM
Yeah, but letting Fisk go means he'll show up in ME2 on Omega and you can verbally harass him then.

So far we have 2 votes for letting him live, one fr letting Wrex shoot him.

Yana
2010-07-01, 08:24 PM
Since you're "technically" a good Shepard here, spare his miserable life... then make up for it by punching the reporter, or hang up on the council.

chiasaur11
2010-07-01, 08:33 PM
Since you're "technically" a good Shepard here, spare his miserable life... then make up for it by punching the reporter, or hang up on the council.

Sounds good.

SilverSheriff
2010-07-04, 12:20 AM
Spare Fisk, Punch Reporter.

chiasaur11
2010-07-04, 12:32 AM
Spare Fisk, Punch Reporter.

First glance, that sounded like a name and a job description.

And on that topic, I would totally read the adventures of Spare Fisk: PUNCH REPORTER!

The_Final_Stand
2010-07-04, 02:59 AM
+1 Spare Fist, Punch Reporter.

SilverSheriff
2010-07-04, 05:54 AM
First glance, that sounded like a name and a job description.

And on that topic, I would totally read the adventures of Spare Fisk: PUNCH REPORTER!

Deserves a book, I'll get working on it.:smallamused:

Croverus
2010-07-05, 09:44 PM
Log Start
Commander Samus Shepard
Eden Prime Mission Report

Prior to the true objective of the mission being revealed to me it was assumed the Normandy was going to Eden Prime to test out the new stealth systems. I had some suspicions that we'd have a fully staffed crew, with Captain Anderson in charge, and that turian Spectre, Nihlus. As it turns out we were actually there to pick up a Prothean beacon. Before landing we recieved a transmission that the colony was under attack, and then lost all communications with the colony.

We arrived at the drop off point with myself leading a small fire team which included Lt Alenko and Pvt Jenkins. Arriving at the landing zone we found several bodies. We moved towards the camp siter and were attacked by drones. Pvt Jenkins was caught by surprise and the drones tore right through his shields. Burial services will be arranged as soon as possible.

Lt Alenko and myself were able to defeat the drones and advanced on. We encountered several more drones before we ran into Ashley Williams, last of her squadron. She was engaged with Geth. They have been beyond the veil in 200 years, yet here they were attacking Eden Prime. We watched them place a civilian on some device which impaled the poor bastard. After fighting past a handful of Geth to the dig site we found the beacon had been moved. Moving up to the camp we were attacked by what at first appeared to be the remains of people impaled on the spikes. These... "Husks" charge us without fear and emit EMPs to disable our shields. We brought them down fast. A neargy building had two scientists who informed us that the beacon had been moved to the spaceport nearby. We hurried after hearing a gunshot only to be attacked by more Geth. After clearing the area we met with some workers from the site hiding in the shed.

It turns out the workers had a smuugling ring formed. We relieved them of some weapons and convinced them to give up their contact from the Dock. His name was Powell. Heading to the dock, we found the Spectre, Nihlus. He'd been shot and killed. We found the dockworker, Powell, questioned him. He said a second Turian named Saren attacked Nihlus from behind. He had hidden behind the crates. He confiscated several grenades from him after he informed us the beacon was on the other platform.

We engaged another group of Geth on the way to the other platform, including a large Geth Destroy. It was tougher than the others but under some concentrated assault fire from myself and Williams it was torn apart. When we arrived at the other platform the Geth were setting up bombs. The fire team faught through the Geth and disabled the bombs before making our way to the Beacon.

After securing the area I proceeded to call the Normandy down for pick up. Lt Alenco approached the beacon and may have activated it... Something happened. It appeared to draw the Lt towards it. I managed to push him out of the way... I'm not sure what happened. I couldn't move. My mind flashed with images of... *sigh* I don't know. It looked like Geth maybe, killing people. It's too fuzzy. Whatever it was it might have been what Saren was after. The beacon self-destructed. The Captain says we'll be going to the Citadel to make our report on Saren possibly being rouge. I'm not looking forward to it.

End log.

Croverus
2010-07-06, 09:43 AM
Allright, so Fist is alive, I'm on my way to get Liara. After becoming a Spectre my Charm score is so high I was able to do the unlocked paragon choice for a bunch of conversations, including convinving that Turian General to forgive the Consort. I gave those data disks from Fist's office to that one reporter, Chakanawa(sp?), and convinced her I'd give her an interview. The consort gave me the trinket after dealing with all that business. I've got 18 of the 21 keepers (I might've missed the one in the Elcor/Volus embassy, if so...). So far I still haven't gained a single Renegade point... not 1.

So on my way to Artemis Tau cluster, Tali and Ashley backing me up until I rescue Liara. Any side missions you guys want to to do after that? Also where should I head in the storyline after I rescue Liara?