PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of a DMPC

Gruffard
2010-06-29, 01:52 PM
Okay, only DMed a few times, but I did an annoying mistake. I made a DMPC to fill the misisng leader roles in our 4E campaign. I like the leader role so I thought I wouldn't mind, and in past groups I have a DMPC join for a session or two for story and it wasn't so bad.

I thought I could have the character give orders or suggestions to help move the group in the right direction, but now I find his pressence a drag in social events and takes too much time to level with all the other stuff, and its hard to run mystories and puzzles and have the character participate when I know the answer.

In all its annoying.

Now I am just looking for ideas of how to get rid of him without screwing up the story. Right now he is looking for pieces of the artifact to restore his house and country (currently occupied by neighboring country). Now I explained to my group I am going to phase him out and they don't mind, but I am clueless on how to do so. Short of him being killed in action, I don't have any ideas on why the DMPC would leave the group.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 01:55 PM
He gets a message he's urgently needed at home. His mother is on her deathbed. Or maybe the girl he loves is about to marry another. Whatever works.

dextercorvia
2010-06-29, 01:55 PM
Perhaps his True Love is about to marry an evil Prince?

Edit: Swordsaged on this one, seriously?

Gruffard
2010-06-29, 01:59 PM
True love might work for him.. Maybe
But sick mother doesn't. Story already had his family killed nearly to the man during the invasion.
Hmm... True love, he so much into the avenger type (the personality type not the class) seems slightly out of character, but at least I can use that and still have the NPC for the future.

Thanks so far (other ideas still welcomed)

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 02:01 PM
Turn into a villain. Have him abandon the party and pick up some evilness.
You said he's an avenger type? Have him for some reason hate the party, or someone important for the party.

Ranos
2010-06-29, 02:01 PM
But sick mother doesn't. Story already had his family killed nearly to the man during the invasion.
Hmm... True love, he so much into the avenger type (the personality type not the class) seems slightly out of character, but at least I can use that and still have the NPC for the future.

Mentor then ? Someone had to raise and train him.

Sc00by
2010-06-29, 02:03 PM
An inappropiate level encounter, have him die holding off something that would massacre the group while they all run away (and then go back with a few levels under their belt and exact revenge for their fallen comrade.)

Then he gets to be a hero and your PCs can carry on his quest in his memory.

'Flee you fools'

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-29, 02:07 PM
Have the villain trap him inside a magical crystal. The players won't be able to free him, or at least they don't yet possess the capability (it needs a special, high level ritual or something). This way, they can get him back at some point if they need him, or he could mysteriously show up again (possibly brainwashed by the villain).

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 02:09 PM
If he has a huge reason to do what he does, fulfill it.
"My work is done, keep my stuff and leave me alone"

dextercorvia
2010-06-29, 02:13 PM

I'm sure that Dread Pirate Roberts' crew would have felt similarly when they found out.

Kylarra
2010-06-29, 02:14 PM
Just have the group go on a quest in a different direction. I wouldn't kill him, you might want to use him later as an actual NPC.

Mastikator
2010-06-29, 02:22 PM
He gets a stroke and dies.

These things happen. Life goes on.

Knaight
2010-06-29, 02:32 PM
I prefer slips in a bathtub, but its the right idea.

Another_Poet
2010-06-29, 02:34 PM
Almost any excuse will do, tthe basic one being "I heard of an artefact piece, but I need to go find this one alone. I can't explain it... thank you for all you've done," and then he goes off all mysterious like.

However it depends on what else you need to accomplish. If you make sure he dies helping them in the next battle, they may have fond memories of him and also feel a little more worried about dying because they've seen you kill a character (your own, at that). The effect of this exit strategy is to make the players take death more seriously and be more careful in combat.

A different option is to have him turn out to be evil. He betrays them and runs off with the artefacts to give them to the evil guy. Possibly they will really want revenge which could set up a nice quest. However the effect of this exit is that they will feel betrayed and be more suspicious of NPCs.

A simpler option is to give him a reason to quit actively adventuring, but still be around. "Ever since I found my sister, I don't want to go out risking my life. I'm going to stay at home with her and be glad she's not dead." The effect of this strategy is to give the party an extra resource they can turn to for help or advice when they are near where he lives - he no longer follows them to battle, but may be helpful in other ways like any friendly NPC.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish other than just removing him as a DMPC.

ap

IonDragon
2010-06-29, 02:42 PM
You can always dispose of your GMPC the way I always dispose of mine, Kill it with fire! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KillItWithFire)

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 02:48 PM
If his past is any obscure, have it chase after him like the hound of Tindalos. Nothing like discovering he is a fugitive whose cover was blown and runs away alone to remain untraceable.

Umael
2010-06-29, 03:10 PM
"Reveal" he was a doppleganger all along.
Replace him with an evil twin and have the rest of the party thrown in jail.
Activate the mind-control trigger and force him to fight the rest of the party in a berserk frenzy (don't stop until he's dead).
Have him stumble on "knowledge man was not meant to know".
Zombie bites him.

Really, if you don't mind just axing the guy, the only question is - why don't you just do it? Is there some kind of plot thread connected to him that you want the rest of the party to do?

valadil
2010-06-29, 03:13 PM
I vote kill him. But first, make the PCs depend on him.

Wings of Peace
2010-06-29, 03:16 PM
Are the players themselves fond of him? If so make him die in some very dramatic manner that they can feel guilty about. Like sacrificing himself for them or dying because they didn't rescue him from a particular danger in time.

Works even better if you tie it in with a BBEG who will be recurring later on to help lay the foundations for some animosity.

Thajocoth
2010-06-29, 03:17 PM
Have the party ambushed at night by assassins. First thing that happens is that the DMPC is sniped in their sleep. It's loud enough to wake everyone else up though. If you've got trancing characters, just split them up into separate rooms at an inn or something.

Gruffard
2010-06-29, 03:19 PM
I can just kill him, but would like him to be available as a resource to the party at later times. Also, he is basically the reason they are on said quest (Cept for the Wilden Seeker, He is evil and wants the artifact for other reasons), so axing him can be done and the group would probably complete the quest in his name.. Just feels off for some reason.

But thanks for the ideas, I like some of them and probably will use one of them.

John Campbell
2010-06-29, 03:23 PM
I recommend exercising caution with using the DMPC's death as a plot-driver. It can backfire if your players don't care as much about the DMPC's fate as you think they ought to.

I'm playing in a campaign where the DM killed off his DMPC in an obviously predetermined plot-motivating cut scene. We shrugged, destroyed the corpse, and walked away without looking back.

(We had a couple of plot- and RP-based reasons for destroying the corpse, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least partially motivated by making it more difficult to bring her back... and no one in the party objected to it, or even hesitated before doing it.)

Mastikator
2010-06-29, 03:24 PM
Maybe a part of the quest was that he was going to sacrifice the rest, and they by accident find this out now.
They also figure out how to sacrifice him instead.

If you make it seem unforced then it will feel to them as though they've killed him for just cause, and his death wasn't as arbitrary.

Calemyr
2010-06-29, 03:25 PM
In my game last week, I had the DMPC (a druid) be abducted by another faction and tortured for information on the party. I probably would have killed her if the party hadn't worked so bloody hard to get her back. Honestly, I figure if they want the character back that much, it's worth the extra effort to keep her up to date.

Thajocoth
2010-06-29, 03:28 PM
I can just kill him, but would like him to be available as a resource to the party at later times. Also, he is basically the reason they are on said quest (Cept for the Wilden Seeker, He is evil and wants the artifact for other reasons), so axing him can be done and the group would probably complete the quest in his name.. Just feels off for some reason.

But thanks for the ideas, I like some of them and probably will use one of them.

When I used a DMPC due to a lack of a Leader, I used inherent bonuses and had them never have magic items. This ensured they were easier to handle and lesser than a real party member. XP took a small penalty for having him of one monster of their level, then was divided between everyone but him. Loot was "after the DMPC take's his share, there's (appropriate amount for the rest of the party)." These things make it easier to manage.

I also had a player handle their actions in combat...

Toliudar
2010-06-29, 03:28 PM
I'll add a vote for the obscure death option - consumed by an explosion, carried off by a flying predator, stays behind to hold off a horde of zombies. Bringing him back is then only a matter of cliffhanger logic. Seriously, with all of the plot goofiness that any game of D&D entails, players are going to balk at something like this? I think not.

FoE
2010-06-29, 03:33 PM
What's wrong with getting him "killed in action"? :smallconfused:

OK, he gets a letter asking him to return home and rescue some blood relative captured by the enemy forces. He insists on returning alone.

Vinyadan
2010-06-29, 03:35 PM
He puts all the pieces of the artifact together and disappears, folded in a white, absolutely unforeseen flash of light. He is not dead, but surely he is not with the party anymore. When time is ripe, they can meet him again or look for him. He could be in his homeland or in a different plane.

Critical
2010-06-29, 03:45 PM
Have him betray them. That way, you can even have a nice and unexpected combat for your players! ^^

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 03:48 PM
Have him betray them. That way, you can even have a nice and unexpected combat for your players! ^^

best done dramatically, as the artifact is picked up and the load-bearing boss' death causes the area to collapse. At that point he turns to you guys with tears in his eyes, saying that only the bearer or the artifact can leave through the conveniently placed one-way, one-use portal, and he proceeds to fight you for it.

Tyrmatt
2010-06-29, 04:08 PM
My DMPCs who are usually tutorial drones in disguise always get offed by the BBEG or his lieutenant. Make it big, make it climactic and make it so the PCs are helpless to stop it.

Yakk
2010-06-29, 04:33 PM

But thanks for the ideas, I like some of them and probably will use one of them.You are showing signs of ... attachment to your GMPC.

Break free.

wick
2010-06-29, 04:57 PM
That is pretty weird that he is the party leader...I would only use GMPCs as support characters. Lazy party? Why take charge when a GMPC will take charge and since it is DM run his decisions will always advance the plot. I would turn that around. Start making him make poor decisions until the party decides that one of them may make a better leader. Maybe throw a little friction in there where your GMPC thinks he is making the best decisions until it back fires so badly that the players have no choice but to take over leadership duty. I am not saying make him an imbecile, his decisions might seem good at first but may not adapt to changing circumstances or not take some aspects into account, etc...

or

Too much of a waste to just off him, I mean this could be a great adventure hook.

You say this guy is a driving force for the quest? Have him get kidnapped and force the party to take the initiative to find him. I am sure one or two players will step forward to lead, but unknown to them this will be more than a temporary position. Maybe the GMPC is traumatized, crippled, or killed. Maybe he is hopelessly left behind in level.

Lord Vampyre
2010-06-29, 05:10 PM
If you don't want to actually kill the character, just have him injured in battle. This will generally end his adventuring career, and leave him around for the PCs to gain advice from.

Alternatively, you could have him fall seriously ill. This gives you another plot hook for the PCs to go out and find a cure. When cured he is unable to fully recover, once again ending his adventuring career.

Fallbot
2010-06-30, 05:06 AM
That is pretty weird that he is the party leader...I would only use GMPCs as support characters.

It's a 4E game. Leader is his character role, not his position in the party hierarchy, and leaders are support characters. [/smartass]

If he's the impetus for the quest, kill him off however you want, but have him, with his dying breath, beg his friends to complete his mission for him.

Farlion
2010-06-30, 05:35 AM
If he's the impetus for the quest, kill him off however you want, but have him, with his dying breath, beg his friends to complete his mission for him.

As this sounds really cool, I've made the expirience that having someone say "last words" doesn't work in a world with healing potions and healing magic. Either kill the DMPC or let him live, not even crippling him would work (yeah, restoration!).

If you still enforce a "last word" - death scene the players will feel helpless, because all theire attempts to save the poor guy will fail, because the DM wants them to fail. I don't like that kind of things happening to me as a player and I wouldn't put my players in that position.

Im all in favor of the "heroic death" scene or the "disappears in a flash of light". Allthough I would be careful with the first option. If your PCs are good, they will be able to save him, then don't enforce his death, just roll with their actions and try again in a later combat. The "flash of light" thing is almost sure, unless the PCs wont give the artifact to the DMPC.

To sum up: Be careful of what you do and don't give the PCs the feeling, that no matter what they do, the DMPC will die. It kind of destroys their will to try things.

Cheers,
Farlion

Myth
2010-06-30, 06:38 AM
Make an Anthrophomorphic Donkey Monk kill him with Quivering Palm (or whatever the mechanics translate this setup in to 4E. I hate 4E)

paddyfool
2010-06-30, 06:46 AM
If the players are at all attached to him: Have him get trapped in some form of magical prison that can only be opened by the very same artefacts they seek, or captured by the BBEG they have to beat to get the final artefact. By the time the players complete the mission and release him, he'll no longer be of a level to be of much worth to them as a party member, but you could have him be very grateful to them, and hence a highly approachable, generally helpful NPC.

Nero24200
2010-06-30, 06:53 AM
Two Words - Muder Mystery.

Next time the PC's go on a quest, have some "urgent matter" keep the DMPC behind. When they come back, the DMPC is found dead, which could also serve as a handy plot hook as the PC's are likely to try and find the killer and reason behind his death.

Gruffard
2010-06-30, 09:38 AM
The concerns of healing/rezzing in general is annoying in D&D, he currently has much of the information about the artifect, and at one point was carrying the artifact.

I think I am going to do the kidnap him by Big Bad Guy Orginization, Hands of Hel (Hel as in the death god of Norse Myth), since they are already a known bad guys, and I could see them thinking he has the artifact. The players won't need him since they still have the pieces, but might want to rescue him anyway. Gives them reason to directly confront the Hands instead of it being a race for the pieces, or they could keep going for the pieces as well. Hmmm...

Thanks all. We will see what I decide for game tonight.

prufock
2010-06-30, 10:15 AM
Have him disabled in combat, permanently or semi-permanently. He gets his legs cut off, spinal injury, whatever. Granted, depending on level, regeneration and other healing magic might be able to fix it, but just use a fiat and say it's from some source that isn't curable by magic, or not have a cleric of high enough level, or whatever. He can charge them with completing his quest, either by appealing to their morals, greed, or threat. He can then command from the background, guiding them, giving tips, etc. He basically would at as a mentor, and not be involved in the actual quests.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-30, 02:14 PM
The trick with a DMPC is they don't solve the puzzles or the mysteries they simply don't know.

If the PC's asked a Turnip farmer the secret to opening the gates of Xim would you have the Turnip farmer have the answer. The same applies to the DMPC. The only reason he should be able to provide an answer to a mystery or puzzle is when the PC's get so lost or confused, he can figure out clues or hints to give the party so they still solve it.

A few years ago I had A DMPC cleric who was there so the party could have some serious divine support which was needed to as the party lacked any divine caster save for a ranger. Didn't even have a bard.

When a new player joined the group and rolled up a cleric. I killed off the DMPC by having the big bad steal her soul.