PDA

View Full Version : Grappling rules(3.5)

stenver
2010-06-29, 01:57 PM
I still havent found a rule of grapple, when 1 player is grappling with a monster and another bystander just decides to help him.. without grappling. So how does this work?

Since i havent found a rule, i usually rule its 50/50 to hit either one. 25/75 if one of the enemies is considerably larger than the other. But are there any special rules for that?

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-29, 01:58 PM
If the non-grappler is just taking a swing, he suffers no penalties.

Ranged attacks have a 50% chance of hitting the wrong target in a grapple, though.

aeauseth
2010-06-30, 01:34 PM
I still havent found a rule of grapple, when 1 player is grappling with a monster and another bystander just decides to help him.. without grappling. So how does this work?

Since i havent found a rule, i usually rule its 50/50 to hit either one. 25/75 if one of the enemies is considerably larger than the other. But are there any special rules for that?

The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) only discusses a 3rd person joining the grapple. Our house rule is to use the Aid Another (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother) rules which gives your party member a +2 bonus to his grapple check. The 50/50 rule doesn't apply to melee attacks, and we don't allow Aid Another from range.

Expanding on the 50/50 rule during grapples. You can use a melee touch (wand/spell/magic item) to heal your grappled party member without having to worry about healing your foe. You can attack the foe grappling your party member with melee attacks without the 50/50. Any ranged attack is 50/50.

We have a house rule that allows you to turn a ranged touch attack into a melee touch attack (at-will). We also allow a blind wizard to cast a fireball as long as he can touch a target. By RAW you can't use any ranged attack or targeting spell unless you can see your target, we allow you to touch a target (even the ground) to cast a spell.