PDA

View Full Version : At-Will Freedom of Movement [3.5]

Temotei
2010-06-29, 07:46 PM
What's the earliest level you would grant freedom of movement as a constant effect or at will?

Sorry for such a short question, but hey. That's all I've got, for now. :smallamused:

Draz74
2010-06-29, 07:50 PM
Well, MIC lists it as a 17th-level Item. And it's among the relatively few expensive items that people (optimizers) actually buy, so yeah.

Keld Denar
2010-06-29, 07:53 PM
+1 Freedom armor costs you 36000g and change. Thats 4,000g cheaper than the ring. I believe there is also a gem or something in Draconomicon that is even cheaper, and can be embedded in your personage to keep it relatively safe.

EDIT: Heart of Water is a 3rd level wizard/druid spell that gives you on demand FoM for a couple rounds after you activate it. It last hours/level, or until triggered. Complete Mage as a source. A Lesser MM Rod of Extend would double the duration for pretty cheap.

balistafreak
2010-06-29, 08:24 PM
Well, you can dip a level of (Cloistered) Cleric for the Travel Domain, which gets a bunch of rounds of Freedom of Movement divied up however you want them a day. Often you don't need a long duration of Freedom of Movement more than you need one here to get away, then another some rounds later, then another some rounds later. If you need them all in sequence you're probably boned anyways.

If that's not what you meant by "at-will" or "grant", though, stuff's already been mentioned.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-29, 08:27 PM
While rather late, Vow of Poverty grants permanent nonmagical freedom of movement
<casts Energy Conversion>

Il_Vec
2010-06-29, 08:28 PM
Keep in mind that the Trave Domain effect only works on magical effects that hamper movement.

Draz74
2010-06-29, 10:33 PM
While rather late, Vow of Poverty grants permanent nonmagical freedom of movement
<casts Energy Conversion>

I think all VoP benefits are actually considered magical. However, a L17 Scout does indeed get nonmagical constant FoM.

Optimystik
2010-06-29, 10:49 PM
I think all VoP benefits are actually considered magical. However, a L17 Scout does indeed get nonmagical constant FoM.

Actually, Snake is right - a number of VoP benefits are (Ex), including their Freedom of Movement.

It sadly does not come online until 14 - even Bards get it earlier. :smallsigh:

PId6
2010-06-29, 10:55 PM
Actually, Snake is right - a number of VoP benefits are (Ex), including their Freedom of Movement.
Nope; despite the Ex labels, you still lose them inside AMFs because Exalted feats are inherently Su. :smallannoyed:

Curmudgeon
2010-06-29, 10:56 PM
I believe there is also a gem or something in Draconomicon that is even cheaper, and can be embedded in your personage to keep it relatively safe.
You're misremembering a bit. That's the Gemstone of Fortification, which has nothing to do with Freedom of Movement. A very neat item to have, since it provides Fortification without armor.

Optimystik
2010-06-29, 11:01 PM
Nope; despite the Ex labels, you still lose them inside AMFs because Exalted feats are inherently Su. :smallannoyed:

Urgh. I forgot that clause.

*Bludgeons James Wyatt*

Jorda75
2010-06-29, 11:07 PM
There's an item in Magic of Faerun that either/or makes you have a constant Freedom of Movement effect or maybe it makes you immune to mind controlling spells or abilities...I can't remember which or if it's both that my epic Frenzy had.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-30, 12:02 AM
Keep in mind that the Travel Domain effect only works on magical effects that hamper movement.

Why thank you I have a cleric in my campaign I'm running who has the travel domain. I'll have to tell him tomorrow to make sure he knows and offer him the chance to swap domains if he didn't.

Runestar
2010-06-30, 12:50 AM
Complete mage also has a fairly long duration buff which can be expended for a freedom of movement effect. Not too bad. I think permanent FoM may be a bit too extreme, unless you expect to be grappled/held all the time. :smallsmile:

sofawall
2010-06-30, 01:14 AM
Complete mage also has a fairly long duration buff which can be expended for a freedom of movement effect

You mean this one?

EDIT: Heart of Water is a 3rd level wizard/druid spell that gives you on demand FoM for a couple rounds after you activate it. It last hours/level, or until triggered. Complete Mage as a source. A Lesser MM Rod of Extend would double the duration for pretty cheap.

ryzouken
2010-06-30, 01:25 AM
Divine Metamagic cleric has it as early as level 7. More likely to get it at level 9.

I'd say 9ish, or when WBL will allow them to afford an item that grants it.