PDA

View Full Version : Awaken Construct

Hague
2010-06-30, 12:08 AM
Does anyone else think that the humanoid requirement for Awaken Construct is a little silly? I mean, I can awaken any rotting corpse with a lower level spell, but a awakening an automaton requires that it be humanoid. Seems a little silly to me. What do you think?

Knaight
2010-06-30, 12:19 AM
Considering what robots are easiest to make and most useful currently, yeah, its pretty absurd. I would understand requiring a certain size, but humanoid? Why bother.

Eurus
2010-06-30, 12:52 AM
You could always Awaken it, then magically mold it into a more useful shape...

Hague
2010-06-30, 01:43 AM
I suppose so, but then why have the requirement in the first place? Also, they should've been more exact about the use of the brains. Like I get average intelligence for a human using a human brain and animal intelligence if I use a dog brain, etc.

Maybe I'll make a homebrew version...

Fizban
2010-06-30, 02:58 AM
I never noticed that part. Probably because I was more fixated on the material component (the brain of a humanoid that died no more than 8 hours ago), which is apparently inexpensive enough to be found in infinite supply in standard spell component pouch.

Morph Bark
2010-06-30, 05:08 AM
I never noticed that part. Probably because I was more fixated on the material component (the brain of a humanoid that died no more than 8 hours ago), which is apparently inexpensive enough to be found in infinite supply in standard spell component pouch.

Question is, does it retain the dead humanoid's memories and personality?

Hague
2010-07-04, 10:46 AM
Probably not. Though, it should act as a capacity-limiter for the new soul of the construct.

So a dog brain or a cat brain would be limited to animal level intelligence.

The reason I'm interested in this is because I'm extending the Effigy Master level progression to add Awaken Construct as a capstone with a lower XP cost and spell level.

Rothen
2010-07-04, 10:52 AM

I give it 2 pages before this thread derails into an alignment discussion about the use of SC pouches.

Ernir
2010-07-04, 11:01 AM
What I think is most odd about that spell is that the most classic humanoid constructs, golems, can't be affected by the spell. :smallyuk:

Irreverent Fool
2010-07-04, 02:24 PM
What I think is most odd about that spell is that the most classic humanoid constructs, golems, can't be affected by the spell. :smallyuk:

Why is that? Does it allow SR?

Hague
2010-07-04, 04:57 PM
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Sure does!

Mastikator
2010-07-04, 05:13 PM
Seems silly to me considering that the Awaken (animal/plant) doesn't require humanoid target. :smalltongue: