PDA

View Full Version : Immortality for a warlock 3.5

Grifthin
2010-06-30, 06:04 AM
Odd Question - can a warlock become a lich ? Also would it be worth it ? At what level would you consider it a good thing to become a lich ? I'm trying to figure out a way for a binder/warlock/hellfire warlock to become immortal, but the problem is that undead lack a constitution score. Does anyone here have any suggestions ?

Runestar
2010-06-30, 06:36 AM
Technically no, as a warlock cannot cast spells (and so cannot craft the required phylactery). They do qualify for the lichfiend template in libris mortis though, which is basically the same thing.

As for the lack of a con score, epic spellcasting can, in theory at least, be used to grant undead a con score (using the fortify seed). What ramifications this has on your undead traits however, I have no idea. :smalltongue:

Personally, I don't think lich is all that great. If you want undead traits, go necropolitan.

Grifthin
2010-06-30, 07:17 AM
Its' not so much the undead part - it's more the "wanna live forever" part. Increase in power is nice though.

Aroka
2010-06-30, 07:19 AM
There's a lot of PrCs where the capstone ability is becoming an Outsider and no longer aging. Pick one, change it so it progresses warlock invocations and eldritch blast instead of spellcasting, maybe change some of the abilities to be thematically appropriate, and use that. Immortality.

nedz
2010-06-30, 07:22 AM
Can they not just use Imbue Item to create the phylactery ?

Imbue Item is the 12th level class feature which allows them to use UMD to simulate any spell during item creation. They still need the relevant Item Creation feat however.

Runestar
2010-06-30, 07:24 AM
Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

This part is independent of whether the warlock can simulate spellcasting via imbue item, which applies only to crafting items.

Though you can easily get around this by blowing a feat on that FR regional feat which lets you cast cantrips. Or maybe go eldritch theurge. :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2010-06-30, 07:32 AM
There's a lot of PrCs where the capstone ability is becoming an Outsider and no longer aging. Pick one, change it so it progresses warlock invocations and eldritch blast instead of spellcasting, maybe change some of the abilities to be thematically appropriate, and use that. Immortality.

Problem is, most say "Bonuses still accrue, and the character still dies of old age when their time is up"

And in the case of the Alienist, the character "is snatched away when their time is up, and never seen again"

Ones which state "The character never dies of old age" are rare- the Cloud Anchorite in Frostburn is one.

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 07:39 AM
I had a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155254) on this very topic not too long ago :smallsmile:

A dip can take care of the "must be able to cast spells" issue, or even the Magical Training feat (which gives you a handful of cantrips and a 1st-level spell).

Ferrin
2010-06-30, 07:42 AM
Problem is, most say "Bonuses still accrue, and the character still dies of old age when their time is up"

And in the case of the Alienist, the character "is snatched away when their time is up, and never seen again"

Ones which state "The character never dies of old age" are rare- the Cloud Anchorite in Frostburn is one.

Thing is, it doesn't make sense that most of them still die when "there time is up". I've yet to see a DM who doesn't count Timeless Body as Immortality. Might just be luck though. :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2010-06-30, 07:43 AM
Elans are virtually immortal, IIRC.

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 07:43 AM
Thing is, it doesn't make sense that most of them still die when "there time is up". I've yet to see a DM who doesn't count Timeless Body as Immortality. Might just be luck though. :smallbiggrin:

If a DM uses dying of old age at all, they should do so for Timeless Body.

Elans are virtually immortal, IIRC.

If by "virtually" you mean "actually" :smalltongue:

kamikasei
2010-06-30, 07:50 AM
Or maybe go eldritch theurge.

If a DM uses dying of old age at all, they should do so for Timeless Body.

Note that the eldritch disciple gets Timeless Body (or perhaps something substantially identical but under a different name, I can't recall) without the "still dies at max age" clause.

But the simplest solution for the OP, if he just wants not to die of old age rather than to be very difficult to kill, is to go Necropolitan (as mentioned). This also has the advantage of avoiding LA headaches.

Coplantor
2010-06-30, 08:43 AM
If you can get someone with the corpsecrafter feats to turn you into a necropolitan, you get the undead template with some neat bonuses at no LA cost. Though you should talk with the DM, most wouldn't allow it.

Myth
2010-06-30, 08:54 AM

Ones which state "The character never dies of old age" are rare- the Cloud Anchorite in Frostburn is one. Elemental Savant also is immortal, doesn't breathe eat or sleep and is immune to everything an Elemental is immune to as well. But's it's an arcane caster progression PRc. Which loses 2 caster levels and it's blaster oriented. Guess it's not very popular around here :D

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 08:57 AM
Elemental Savant also is immortal, doesn't breathe eat or sleep and is immune to everything an Elemental is immune to as well. But's it's an arcane caster progression PRc. Which loses 2 caster levels and it's blaster oriented. Guess it's not very popular around here :D

Don't forget Green Star... haha... Green Star Ad... hahaha...

I'm sorry... *wipes tears*

Ferrin
2010-06-30, 09:01 AM

Well, at least it shows Immortality has quite a big price tag on it. :smallbiggrin:

Il_Vec
2010-06-30, 09:01 AM

Mr. GSA, Excuse me while I go hire a higher level wizard to Dustform me to gain the same benefits in +2 LA instead of 10 (very) bad levels...

Grifthin
2010-06-30, 09:53 AM

Ooh- thank you - just what I was looking for.

Tome
2010-06-30, 09:53 AM
There's always being an Elan or Warforged.

Or you can take the "Wedded To History" feat from Dragon 354.

Somebody made a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0) on this.

paddyfool
2010-06-30, 09:58 AM
It certainly seems a handy way of getting out of the whole "selling your soul" deal, if that's where your particular warlocky powers derive from...

Draken
2010-06-30, 10:12 AM
Well. If nothing else, a Warlock can qualify for Renegade Mastermaker without much hassle. Renegade Mastermaker advances any existing spellcasting class, so it applies to Warlocks as per page 18 of CA.

Becoming a living construct is one way to achieve immortality. Costs two caster levels, however (one dark invocation).

Grifthin
2010-06-30, 10:12 AM
Elan is so nice, the problem is the -2 Charisma. Such a pain.

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 10:16 AM
It certainly seems a handy way of getting out of the whole "selling your soul" deal, if that's where your particular warlocky powers derive from...

In addition, a Warlock lich would probably not be powerful enough to fight off his fiendish overlords, and so require the PCs' aid. With his crafting powers he can make plenty of goodies for them to go into hell with on his behalf.

Elan is so nice, the problem is the -2 Charisma. Such a pain.

Warforged also have a Cha penalty :smallyuk:

Draken
2010-06-30, 10:21 AM
Warforged also have a Cha penalty :smallyuk:

Luckly, Renegade Mastermaker does not turn you into a warforged! It merely gives you the Construct type with the Living Construct Subtype and... You gain all traits of the type.

Uh... Never noticed that line.

Ok, so it does make you into a warforged. But it does not take away your old racials! Just find a race with a positive charisma modifier and they null out.

Or just avoid invocations with save DCs.

Edit: Then again it can be all traits of the construct-living construct type, not the traits of the warforged race. Hmm... This is tricky.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-30, 05:59 PM
If it doesn't say you gain the Warforged racial traits, then you don't. Most of their good stuff comes from their type/subtype anyway.