PDA

View Full Version : Melting in the Playground

The Succubus
2010-06-30, 07:37 AM
Howdy folks,

England is currently experiencing a mini-heatwave at the moment and I feel like I'm roasting here. I've always been something of a wimp when it comes to hot weather and would probably turn into a molten puddle of goo if I ever went to Australia. So, I went seeking the sage wisdom of the forums trolls on - how do you manage to keep yourself cool in hot weather, both in work or out of work?

Eldan
2010-06-30, 07:39 AM
Heh. Same here. We're over 30° at the moment. I'm not complaining, though, because I need sunny weather to work.

I mean, I hate the heat, but chose a project which requires me to run around outside during it. I think I might be stupid.

rakkoon
2010-06-30, 07:41 AM
Drink water, lots of water.
Eat ice cream
Stay in the shade
Wear loose, thin clothing

Also depends where you are, 43 degrees in Seville was no problem for me but 30 degrees in Antwerp was unbearable. No oxigen.

I love this heat wave btw, vacation is also coming so I'm ready :smallsmile:

BisectedBrioche
2010-06-30, 07:47 AM
It's 28 degrees C in my room (according to the heat sensors on my PC anyway).

Dogmantra
2010-06-30, 07:48 AM
I was walking around London all day on Sunday, when it was apparently thirty degrees. I'm surprised I didn't turn into a small pile of Dogmantra-Fluid. I think I survived because of all the water and occasional breaks in the shade.

Anuan
2010-06-30, 07:53 AM
...30 Celcius is a heatwave? Ay Carumba.

As for staying cool; remove shirt, apply damp cloth, turn on fan. In some situations, drape another damp cloth over the fan.

Also icecream. Lots of icecream <3

Dogmantra
2010-06-30, 07:58 AM

This is England, where we usually get three days of summer per year. "Summer" being "days it's not overcast and quite cold".

Emperor Ing
2010-06-30, 08:00 AM
For no reason whatsoever, over here we get 90° (fahrenheit) with 90% humidity, don't complain to me about a little heat. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2010-06-30, 08:19 AM
It's going to be 88 degrees Fahrenheit here today. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

randman22222
2010-06-30, 08:26 AM
Am I the only one that finds the really humid heat nicer than normal heat? I just don't feel humid heat as much, plus it doesn't dehydrate me nearly as much.

*Is in Malaysia.*
34 degree C (93.2 F) at 84% humidity.

Anuan
2010-06-30, 08:36 AM
Am I the only one that finds the really humid heat nicer than normal heat? I just don't feel humid heat as much, plus it doesn't dehydrate me nearly as much.

*Is in Malaysia.*

84% humidity.

I'd rather stick pointy rocks in my ears :smalleek:

Lioness
2010-06-30, 08:40 AM
*steals heat*

Have our 13C days...they suck

Rawhide
2010-06-30, 08:42 AM
*steals heat*

Have our 13C days...they suck

13 degC? Just how far north are you?

Lioness
2010-06-30, 08:49 AM
13 degC? Just how far north are you?

South Australia...

:smalltongue:

Rawhide
2010-06-30, 08:52 AM
South Australia...

:smalltongue:

What?

I'm in Queensland and we have days that get to 4 degC or below. Surely you must get lower than 13 degC...

Lioness
2010-06-30, 08:54 AM
What?

I'm in Queensland and we have days that get to 4 degC or below. Surely you must get lower than 13 degC...

Nope...Adelaide seems to trap heat. We get really hot in summer. Our lowest winter days are usually about 10C. 4C is what we get down to overnight ^^

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 08:58 AM
It's been -10oC or lower at night the last few days... The hot water pipes keep freezing, so we have no warm water in the mornings. I can't drink cold water properly cuz it makes mah teef hurt :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2010-06-30, 09:00 AM
It's been -10oC or lower at night the last few days... The hot water pipes keep freezing, so we have no warm water in the mornings. I can't drink cold water properly cuz it makes mah teef hurt :smallfrown:

Ouch on the hot water pipes...

I generally only drink cold water, if I have the option. I dislike the taste of room temerature water, but like the taste of chilled water.

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 09:01 AM
So do I, actually, but it still hurts. I can manage with water colder than room temperature, just not that much.
Also the hot water's been running out before I finish my shower in the evenings :smallannoyed:

dawnsolara
2010-06-30, 09:16 AM
Sorry for the heat wave, guys . . . drink LOTS of water, splash some on your face if needed, use fans, eat fruit, and most of all WEAR SUNSCREEN. You don't want a sunburn on top of the heat, especially if you don't have AC. Also, if you get burnt, vinegar helps me with the pain. Cotton clothes are also recommended, as they breathe better.

But I don't feel too sorry for you - it gets to 97+ fahrenheit (~37.8 C) at over 90% humidity where I live, though I know plenty of places get hotter. Needless to say, we drink a lot of water, and AC is a necessity.

PanNarrans
2010-06-30, 09:19 AM
Another Londoner here. I'm forcing myself to enjoy the heat, since I complained so much about the snow in winter.

Drinking more water is essential, though. By the time you feel thirsty, you're dehydrated.

valadil
2010-06-30, 09:24 AM
how do you manage to keep yourself cool in hot weather, both in work or out of work?

2-3 cold showers a day. Helps if you've got long hair to retain the water. This got me through several Augusts in a college dorm (read: 3 story brick oven).

Telonius
2010-06-30, 09:26 AM
A couple days ago it was hotter outside than it was inside. And by outside, I mean "outside my body." 37C is just ridiculous. Stupid country, building our capital in the middle of a godforsaken swamp. :smallmad:

Whammydill
2010-06-30, 09:30 AM
It's been north of 90deg Farenheit here for a bit, but now we have nice 70s today and throughout the holiday weekend.

The Succubus
2010-06-30, 09:34 AM
84% humidity.

And with one number and one word, you have forever scrubbed Malaysia from my travel destinations.

randman22222
2010-06-30, 09:39 AM
And with one number and one word, you have forever scrubbed Malaysia from my travel destinations.

But it's awesome! And my friend from Brazil is joining me here for a month in a few days. :smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2010-06-30, 09:43 AM
For me, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. I went to missouri a few weeks ago and couldn't stand the thickness of the air, let alone the constant rain. 70 (Farenheit) in Colorado is a nice sunny day for me, however 70 in Missouri is steaming me alive.

My tricks, wear loose clothing (or no clothing), go jump in a lake, breathe every seven minutes.

Whammydill
2010-06-30, 09:45 AM
Its been a nice June here. Though humidity varies greatly throughout the day. Like from 36% to 100% is the greatest range ive seen this month, but it usually averages out to tolerable levels.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMFD/2010/6/1/MonthlyHistory.html

Jarawara
2010-06-30, 09:48 AM
Serp, I gotta say - I love the new 'drunken party girl Naga' Avatar. Remind me to marry you someday.

Back to topic: I have an internal body temperature regulator set at 65 degrees farenheit. Anything above 70 degrees is Too Damn Hot. I'm in the Pacific northwest, so other than a few well-publicized heat waves, it's always happily below 70.

For you Celcius boys and girls out there, 70 farenheit converts to... Too Damn Celciusly Hot.

Reinboom
2010-06-30, 09:54 AM
...I thought Malaysia would have had higher humidity. I'm not sure why the 84% is becoming that big of a deal right now.

In comparison, here it is at 94% with no wind (< 1 mph), and has approached 100% recently. It is currently rather nice, only getting around 75°F, however - has picked up into the 90s recently (which was also when we saw the 100% humidity).

The winters here are just as absurd but in the opposite direction.

Whammydill
2010-06-30, 10:02 AM
Yeah, same here. I guess when you live in it your whole life you are just used to the humidity.

MountainKing
2010-06-30, 10:03 AM
SweetRein - They're talking 90s for the weekend, but I won't be terribly scarred by it unless it spikes up like it did a couple years back; 117 degrees F in Michigan is just plain painful (and I worked outside for eight hours that day :smallannoyed:).

Emperor Ing
2010-06-30, 10:05 AM
Hey Other Rand, by any chance is there a way you can teach me to not feel humidity? Because for me, humidity is EEVILL.

lesser_minion
2010-06-30, 10:05 AM
We've been seeing temperatures around 13 to 22 degrees, which is kind of refreshing in comparison to the ridiculous heat over the last week.

Of course, we'll probably get some rain soon, which should cool things down a little.

SilverSheriff
2010-06-30, 10:08 AM
Dear England,
Give Queensland, Australia back it's heat.
~ Black Pants Guy

Anuan
2010-06-30, 10:09 AM
Serp, I gotta say - I love the new 'drunken party girl Naga' Avatar. Remind me to marry you someday.

She's a Bogan, specifically. The Australian equivelant to White Trash.

Naga

Somebody's gonna get in troooouuuuublleeeee...

Emperor Ing
2010-06-30, 10:11 AM
Dear England,
~ Black Pants Guy

By any chance, you wouldn't mind trading temperatures with New England would you? :smallsmile:
*likes the cold*

randman22222
2010-06-30, 10:11 AM
...I thought Malaysia would have had higher humidity. I'm not sure why the 84% is becoming that big of a deal right now.

In comparison, here it is at 94% with no wind (< 1 mph), and has approached 100% recently. It is currently rather nice, only getting around 75°F, however - has picked up into the 90s recently (which was also when we saw the 100% humidity).

The winters here are just as absurd but in the opposite direction.

Eh. It gets that high. In fact, it's just climbed up to 89%...

lesser_minion
2010-06-30, 10:13 AM
Dear England,
~ Black Pants Guy

You're in the middle of winter. Wait until it's your turn!

Why do I get the impression that this will not be pretty ?

Lillith
2010-06-30, 10:16 AM
It is currently around 28C here. My room, being an attic is 32C or more all day. I sleep in the attic. Over here the warmth is pretty annoying, I think it is because of the humidity in the air. Usually I don't mind the heat because I walk around in pants when it's like 30C. Though I've got a cold (oh the irony) so I'm coughing like crazy because I can't get air in this weather. Also our house has no AC because it is usually rainy and cold in the freaking Netherlands. Oh well, given this country the weather won't be long anyways. The rain will be back soon. Which I find to bad, because I haven't had chances to enjoy the blue sky and sunlight yet, my vacation won't start until three weeks from now. =(

Dogmantra
2010-06-30, 10:22 AM
Dear England,
~ Black Pants Guy

Dear Queensland, Australia,
As you know, you are the Queen's land, and she can do whatever she likes with you. That includes stealing your heat so she can have a relaxing dip in her pool.
~ Dogmantra

SilverSheriff
2010-06-30, 10:30 AM
Dear Queensland, Australia,
As you know, you are the Queen's land, and she can do whatever she likes with you. That includes stealing your heat so she can have a relaxing dip in her pool.
~ Dogmantra

Dear England
We, Queensland of Australia, have stolen the water from her Majesty's pool to Irrigate our crops, the good of the many out-weighs that of the few. We know you understand.
~ Black Pants Guy.

Jarawara
2010-06-30, 10:36 AM
She's a Bogan, specifically. The Australian equivelant to White Trash.

A say what who now?

Heh. This sounds like it'll be fun. Anyone wanna give me a preview of my grisly fate, or should I just check back here to find out the hard way?

Lord Herman
2010-06-30, 10:38 AM
It's about 26C here, and it'll probably be about 34C friday. Not exactly braggable compared to the temperatures in Oz and Trogland, but enough to make my brain melt out of my ears. :smallfrown:

It has just started raining, though, and I can also hear some thunder. I like thunderstorms. :smallsmile:

Eon
2010-06-30, 10:42 AM
Heh 21.6 degrees celsius here. And sunny :smallcool:

edit: 48% humidity

very nice day to me

Umael
2010-06-30, 10:57 AM
Back to topic: I have an internal body temperature regulator set at 65 degrees farenheit. Anything above 70 degrees is Too Damn Hot. I'm in the Pacific northwest, so other than a few well-publicized heat waves, it's always happily below 70.

As a fellow Pacific Northwestern, I would like to point out that your messed-up internal body temperature does not speak for the rest of us, where I do not get comfortable until it is at least 75 degrees.

Yes, I wear long-sleeved shirts all the time.

For you Celcius boys and girls out there, 70 farenheit converts to... Too Damn Celciusly Hot.

Rule of thumb: Subtract 30, then half the Fahrenheit. (Easier than subtracting 32, then multiplying by 5/9.)

(104 degrees Fahrenheit is about 74/2 or 37 degrees Celsius using this method. In reality, 104 degrees Fahrenheit equals 72 * (5/9) = 40 degrees Celsius.)

((70 degrees Fahrenheit is about 20 degrees Celsius. By the math, 38 * (5/9) = 21 1/9 Celsius. 20 degrees is close enough.))

Re: Humidity

EVIL.

No matter the temperature.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-06-30, 11:11 AM
England is not known for humidity. The current balmy breeze endears itself to me most wonderfully.

loopy
2010-06-30, 11:16 AM
England is currently experiencing a mini-heatwave at the moment and I feel like I'm roasting here. I've always been something of a wimp when it comes to hot weather and would probably turn into a molten puddle of goo if I ever went to Australia.

After a D&D session at my mates house the other night, I went back to my car to find out that the windshield had frosted over.

It looked like Mr Freeze had attacked my car.

In Australia.

What the hell?

So no, Masamune, you wouldn't melt. Its freezing here.

TheThan
2010-06-30, 11:27 AM
Phhh it was 105° Fahrenheit (about 40.5° Celsius) here Monday, yesterday it was about 101, and do you see me complaining? Nope, but then again, we've had a comparatively mild summer this year. Monday was the first day it hit above 95°, think its supposed to cool off the rest of the week.

Deathslayer7
2010-06-30, 11:43 AM
Phhh it was 105° Fahrenheit (about 40.5° Celsius) here Monday, yesterday it was about 101, and do you see me complaining? Nope, but then again, we've had a comparatively mild summer this year. Monday was the first day it hit above 95°, think its supposed to cool off the rest of the week.

I got ya beat. :smallamused: It can go anywhere from 40-50 C in Las Vegas. The average being 43/44 each day everyday for the Summer.

Here we just don't go outside. Too damn hot. We also do our construction work at night when it cools down to about 30 C.

Brother Oni
2010-06-30, 12:09 PM

*Is in Malaysia.*

Try heavy exercise in that sort of humidity. I played football once at night in Hong Kong over summer. I must have gone through at least 2 litres of water in half an hour.

The humidity stops the sweat from evaporating and taking the heat with it, so sweating doesn't cool you down like it should do.

I once had the experience of being out and about in 100% humidity according to the weather report. It wasn't pleasant.

TheThan
2010-06-30, 12:11 PM
I got ya beat. :smallamused: It can go anywhere from 40-50 C in Las Vegas. The average being 43/44 each day everyday for the Summer.

Here we just don't go outside. Too damn hot. We also do our construction work at night when it cools down to about 30 C.

Well you’re in the middle of the desert. I’m technically not, though if the idiot politicians keep taking away all the farmer’s water, then it will be.

Raiki
2010-06-30, 12:24 PM
I'm in the "trying to force myself to enjoy the warmth" camp...because my city, statistically speaking, gets less sun than the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay. (For those unfamiliar with said bay...that's not very damn much.)

~R~

Anuan
2010-06-30, 06:29 PM
A say what who now?

Not sure how I can say it more clearly :smalltongue:

Heh. This sounds like it'll be fun. Anyone wanna give me a preview of my grisly fate, or should I just check back here to find out the hard way?

Oh, you'll be fine. Just make sure to ask her about the Friendzone. That...that'll help your case a lot.
Also mention that you're sure everything in Australia is designed to kill you.

These things are known to placate the wild Serpentine.Or was that infuriate. No, I'm sure it was placate.

Lord Raziere
2010-06-30, 06:32 PM
things are nice where I am.... :smallcool:

Orzel
2010-06-30, 06:49 PM
I love the heat.
Bring on the FIYAH!!

I think my Caribbean blood makes me hate cold so much that the heat is welcome for about 6 weeks before I get sick out it.
Lol
Sick of the heat. I am kidding myself.
MORE FIYAH!!!

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 09:54 PM
Serp, I gotta say - I love the new 'drunken party girl Naga' Avatar. Remind me to marry you someday.Ooooo, where to start on this one :smallamused:

She's a Bogan, specifically. The Australian equivelant to White Trash.For example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS31FJO8_o).

Somebody's gonna get in troooouuuuublleeeee...Eh, honestly I'm letting up on the naga thing a bit, mostly cuz it's easier to do a search for snake-lady using "naga". Kinda like using mermaid if you want a siren. Also the naga mythology is pretty cool.
Oh, you'll be fine. Just make sure to ask her about the Friendzone. That...that'll help your case a lot.
Also mention that you're sure everything in Australia is designed to kill you.Hmmm. So you know that about me... I'm a little concerned. Tell me what you know I like.

By any chance, you wouldn't mind trading temperatures with New England would you? :smallsmile:
*likes the cold*Wanna swap New Englands?
After a D&D session at my mates house the other night, I went back to my car to find out that the windshield had frosted over.

It looked like Mr Freeze had attacked my car.

In Australia.

What the hell?Last night, at about quarter to nine, my housemate and I got in his car to see a friend. It was all fogged up, so he squirted the windscreen fluid and used the wipers. He ended up with a smear of ice across the windscreen...
Also, the jug of clothes softener was frozen.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-30, 09:58 PM
Serpentine, that avatar is hilarious.

I absolutely adore the heat. Then again, my birthday's on Friday and I was born in the middle of a heat wave. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I frequently take showers with absolutely no cold water at all, although that's partly because the hot water tank is starting to go...But I love heat, humid or not, it's fantastic.

kpenguin
2010-06-30, 10:00 PM
*points to his location*

Ah, the Bay Area. Never too hot nor too cold. Never have to complain about the weather. We're like the anti-England.

Eh, honestly I'm letting up on the naga thing a bit, mostly cuz it's easier to do a search for snake-lady using "naga". Kinda like using mermaid if you want a siren. Also the naga mythology is pretty cool.

But... mermaids and sirens look nothing alike other than having human female bits.

Hmmm. So you know that about me... I'm a little concerned. Tell me what you know I like.

...you like things? I thought you were like VT and hate everything with a passion. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 10:08 PM
But... mermaids and sirens look nothing alike other than having human female bits.And Serpentine isn't a naga. Nonetheless, there is a popular mentality conflating them.

...you like things? I thought you were like VT and hate everything with a passion. :smalltongue:D=!

kpenguin
2010-06-30, 10:11 PM
And Serpentine isn't a naga. Nonetheless, there is a popular mentality conflating them.

True, but searching for "mermaid" doesn't get you sirens while searching for "naga" does get you snake ladies.

Searching for "siren" gets you mermaids, but that's beside the point.

D=!

See? You disliked my comment! Bwahaha.

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 10:15 PM
True, but searching for "mermaid" doesn't get you sirens while searching for "naga" does get you snake ladies.

Searching for "siren" gets you mermaids, but that's beside the point.No, that was my point. It just wasn't exactly the same.
Dammit man, you know what I meant!

Dvandemon
2010-06-30, 10:15 PM
Coming from SanDi CA I have no problems about heat since I live by the coast. Ah, nice ocean breeze :smalltongue: In fact I wear heavy jackets and barely sweat at all. Everyone I know complains that I make them feel hot seeing me in my jacket

I keep trying to wet my clothes and put them in the fridge but someone keeps taking it out :smallannoyed:

kpenguin
2010-06-30, 10:17 PM
No, that was my point. It just wasn't exactly the same.
Dammit man, you know what I meant!

But then you'd want to use siren to get mermaids, not the other way around as you phrased it.

Haha! Deliberate obtuseness!

Dvandemon
2010-06-30, 10:24 PM
But it's awesome! And my friend from Brazil is joining me here for a month in a few days. :smallbiggrin:

Your friend:"Ima flyin' to Malaysia!!!"

:belkar:::smallannoyed:*stab*

AslanCross
2010-06-30, 10:27 PM
It's currently 32 °C here in Manila, and the humidity's at 79%, but it feels like it's 44. This is the kind of weather where one can step out of a cold shower and already be sweating right after toweling off.

What's worse is that as of late, we've been having violent thunderstorms at night. It's wet, dark, but STILL horribly hot. The rain only makes it feel like I'm in a sauna.

Even in basement parking lots I break out into sweat. @_@ Usually I just drink a lot of water and keep to airconditioned rooms as much as possible. The discomfort becomes tolerable eventually; remember, it's the dehydration that can kill you.

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 10:30 PM
But then you'd want to use siren to get mermaids, not the other way around as you phrased it.

Haha! Deliberate obtuseness!You know what I have to say about that?

Poida Poida. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFcdz4gGKA&feature=PlayList&p=324C5506D947F038&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=5)

RdMarquis
2010-06-30, 10:41 PM
Here in Davis, things are starting to cool to about 70 degrees with the evening, but during the day it can get to over 100. Is it a sign that the heat has baked my brains when I've made a game of moving from shady spot to shady spot?

Anyway, besides drinking a lot of water, doing something to get your mind off the weather helps a lot (I read).

Anuan
2010-06-30, 10:45 PM
Ooooo, where to start on this one :smallamused:
For example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpS31FJO8_o).
Eh, honestly I'm letting up on the naga thing a bit, mostly cuz it's easier to do a search for snake-lady using "naga". Kinda like using mermaid if you want a siren. Also the naga mythology is pretty cool.Hmmm. So you know that about me... I'm a little concerned. Tell me what you know I like.
Wanna swap New Englands?Last night, at about quarter to nine, my housemate and I got in his car to see a friend. It was all fogged up, so he squirted the windscreen fluid and used the wipers. He ended up with a smear of ice across the windscreen...
Also, the jug of clothes softener was frozen.

Older writings of Sirens describe them as being part bird, more like a harpy than a mermaid. FACTS.

Also, I know you like...Uhh...Pointing out that you don't like the things I mentioned?

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 11:27 PM
Bah humbug.
And yes, I KNOW that :sigh:

FINE. Jayzus.

Eh, honestly I'm letting up on the naga thing a bit, mostly cuz it's easier to do a search for snake-lady using "naga". Kinda like using siren if you want a mermaid.

There, you happy? Ugh.

Kroy
2010-06-30, 11:38 PM
As a fellow Pacific Northwestern, I would like to point out that your messed-up internal body temperature does not speak for the rest of us, where I do not get comfortable until it is at least 75 degrees.

Yes, I wear long-sleeved shirts all the time.

I have an internal body temperature regulator set at 65 degrees fahrenheit. Anything above 70 degrees is Too Damn Hot. I'm in the Pacific northwest, so other than a few well-publicized heat waves, it's always happily below 70.

At least we have a few other PNWers to complain to.

Remember when it was 110 degrees Fahrenheit last summer? That was the WORST. Maybe the PNW has made me a wimp, but how do people deal with it in the South? As is, I have my air conditioner on high.

arguskos
2010-06-30, 11:46 PM
There, you happy? Ugh.
This is the INTERNET Serps, no one is EVER happy here. :smalltongue:

Anuan
2010-07-01, 12:00 AM
This is the INTERNET Serps, no one is EVER happy here. :smalltongue:

Yet more FACTS! :smallbiggrin:

Faceist
2010-07-01, 12:29 AM
I was pouring sweat. My blood is too thick for Nevada. I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate.

kpenguin
2010-07-01, 12:32 AM
Bah humbug.
And yes, I KNOW that :sigh:

FINE. Jayzus.

Eh, honestly I'm letting up on the naga thing a bit, mostly cuz it's easier to do a search for snake-lady using "naga". Kinda like using siren if you want a mermaid.

There, you happy? Ugh.

See? You are curmudgeon who hates everything. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-07-01, 12:33 AM
No, it's just that people keep doing the few things I do hate :smalltongue:

kpenguin
2010-07-01, 12:58 AM
No, it's just that people keep doing the few things I do hate :smalltongue:

Pah! We'd never do such things on purpose! That'd constitute trolling!

The Succubus
2010-07-01, 04:00 AM
I was pouring sweat. My blood is too thick for Nevada. I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate.

Wait until the lizards show up. They'll freak you right out.

factotum
2010-07-01, 08:36 AM
I don't usually have much problem with heat during the day--it's at night when it causes me problems. Fortunately I live around 800 feet above sea level, so it's several degrees cooler where I live than where I work--I can usually get the temperature in my bedroom below 20C by opening a couple of windows and letting fans pull air through!

Jarawara
2010-07-01, 10:12 AM
See? You are curmudgeon who hates everything. :smalltongue:

See, now that's just another reason for me to want to marry her.

Us curmudgeonites need to stick together, to promote Curmudgeonitarianism across the globe. We would form a new PacificNW-Australian Curmudgeonist Party, take over our respective governments, and then rule the world.

The only debate would be who should be named 'First Curmudgeon', and who takes the title of Curmudgeon VP.
Sadly, that debate will prolly end us in divorce court.

*~*~*

Ok, after reading the above, I have concluded that I shouldn't post after staying up all night.

Serpentine
2010-07-01, 10:22 AM
I aitn't a curmudgeon! D=

Syka
2010-07-01, 10:33 AM
Tip: Eat ice. No joke, it's lovely.

Went to Disney last week and the first hour or so I was sweltering and drenched in sweat (not good since I have a history of heat-induced epilepsy...>>). The plethora of concession stands, however, were willing to provide me with cups of ice. I spent the next several hours of our visit nomming ice. Constantly. The only time I didn't was on the rides. I don't think I even broke a sweat post-ice, and that was from about 1PM to 6PM.

I don't even know what the temperature was the last few days.

Right now we're sitting at about 30 C/87ish F with ~70% humidity making it feel like mid-90's. The last couple weeks the "feels like" temperature has been hovering over 100 F. Buuut that's normal.

Is it bad that, as a native Floridian, I am dreading moving to NYC? Mostly the cold (brr, I don't do well if it drops below 60 F, lol), but partially due to the heat, since I know from experience Manhattan can be worse than Florida?

That said, I'll take a humid heat over dry heat any day. It makes it feel hotter, but at least I don't feel as though my throat is dying and my lips are trying to shed. El Paso was hot but dry so I didn't sweat. At all. But I also seemed unable to produce saliva, etc and my skin HATED it. >> Took me a week to get my body right again.

Serpentine
2010-07-01, 10:43 AM
-11oC last night, apparently :smallyuk:

Asta Kask
2010-07-01, 10:52 AM
Artificial sweat - take a t-shirt, drench it in cold water, wring it out so it's just damp, and put it on.

Form
2010-07-01, 10:52 AM
You could try eating ice cubes. I've done so myself and it is refreshing, but you'll probably need a refill once you've finished eating.

Crimmy
2010-07-01, 11:21 AM
Fail.
It's "Caramba" (and yeah, I know Homer says "carumba". That doesn't diminish the level of fail.)

Also, for those saying 30C is a lot, I imagine you're not used to heat.
Here in Cuernavaca (excepting today) we get from 32 to 38ºC and it's bearable, though the humidity level is about 75%.

And some days we get to 38º with no humidity (about 13%)

Dogmantra
2010-07-01, 12:02 PM

As I said, this is England. England, on the same latitude as Russia and Canada.

Crimmy
2010-07-01, 12:18 PM
As I said, this is England. England, on the same latitude as Russia and Canada.

Well, I'm guessing it depends on which part of England, too.
I mean, Puebla (a Mexican state) is not too far from Morelos (my state), but the temperature difference is huge. In winter, we might have, I dunno, 20 Celsius, and they might have 10 or 11 Celsius.

Asta Kask
2010-07-01, 12:33 PM
I aitn't a curmudgeon! D=

Right. You're a scozzer.

Superglucose
2010-07-01, 12:45 PM
Howdy folks,

England is currently experiencing a mini-heatwave at the moment and I feel like I'm roasting here. I've always been something of a wimp when it comes to hot weather and would probably turn into a molten puddle of goo if I ever went to Australia. So, I went seeking the sage wisdom of the forums trolls on - how do you manage to keep yourself cool in hot weather, both in work or out of work?

Air conditioning.

Here in CA we had our first >100 week... which was ironically during a free daycamp a local church puts on. Ironically because year after year the week they choose to hold the camp is the hottest week of the summer, and one year when I was staffing (we had black shirts) we had record heat in the 112 range... so yeah it got HOT.

Drink tons of water, and I even find running around helps. Spend as much time outdoors and then when you go back indoors to sleep you'll find it's much cooler than you expected.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-07-01, 12:54 PM
Frozen strawberries
Ice cubes
Banana
Orange juice

Blend. Drink contents of blender as fast as you can without getting an ice cream headache. Repeat.

MountainKing
2010-07-01, 01:03 PM
Air conditioning.

Here in CA we had our first >100 week... which was ironically during a free daycamp a local church puts on. Ironically because year after year the week they choose to hold the camp is the hottest week of the summer, and one year when I was staffing (we had black shirts) we had record heat in the 112 range... so yeah it got HOT.

Drink tons of water, and I even find running around helps. Spend as much time outdoors and then when you go back indoors to sleep you'll find it's much cooler than you expected.

But if that consistently happens, doesn't that mean it's not ironic at all? :smallconfused:

I kinda feel bad for you loonies who live in the tropical climes... but then I remember that you're probably used to it.

Syka
2010-07-01, 01:34 PM
But if that consistently happens, doesn't that mean it's not ironic at all? :smallconfused:

I kinda feel bad for you loonies who live in the tropical climes... but then I remember that you're probably used to it.

I have lived in Fl all my 23 years and I'm still not used to it. :smallwink: I quite loathe the heat. I just loathe the severe cold more. :)

Siosilvar
2010-07-01, 02:47 PM
Air conditioning.

Yeah, but most of Cali is dry heat, not wet heat. I've been to Mississippi in the summer. You do not want to go to Mississippi in the summer.

Superglucose
2010-07-01, 02:53 PM
What on earth does any of that have to do with what I said? If anything, humid air would make air conditioning more effective. And just because it was humid where you are doesn't mean it wasn't hot where I was.

I've been in hot and humid places before. I'd rather be in a hot and humid place than a SUPER hot and dry place. This is from experience. But then again, I despise deserts with a passion.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-07-01, 07:15 PM
Dry heat can be staved off with a fan and a bottle of water. Humid heat is a most horrible prospect, for anyone here who has not experienced it, as you simply do not cool down, and you cannot escape it, short of making some rather hasty travel plans and leaving.

Crimmy
2010-07-01, 07:43 PM
Dry heat can be staved off with a fan and a bottle of water. Humid heat is a most horrible prospect, for anyone here who has not experienced it, as you simply do not cool down, and you cannot escape it, short of making some rather hasty travel plans and leaving.

I'm guessing that's what broccoli feel when it's cooked.

Anuan
2010-07-01, 08:24 PM
Fail.
It's "Caramba" (and yeah, I know Homer says "carumba". That doesn't diminish the level of fail.)

Here in Cuernavaca (excepting today) we get from 32 to 38ºC and it's bearable, though the humidity level is about 75%.

And some days we get to 38º with no humidity (about 13%)

Homer doesn't say it, Bart does.
I'm Australian, we don't learn Spanish in schools (typically). Lemme alone :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-07-01, 08:39 PM
I know the southeast here has been about deadly of late. High 90's standard daytime, peaking around 105 on bad days (or 41 C for you alternates).

Also, thunderstorms every day has been keeping that humidity up nicely.

I dunno, but humidity doesn't sap me/ It's dry, scorching, desiccating heat that about kills me.

Serpentine
2010-07-01, 09:33 PM
Fail.
It's "Caramba" (and yeah, I know Homer says "carumba". That doesn't diminish the level of fail.)Nitpicky fail fail. Bart says it :smalltongue:

Faceist
2010-07-01, 10:42 PM
Wait until the lizards show up. They'll freak you right out.
And someone was giving booze to these goddamned things! It won't be long now until they rip us to shreds.

Summertime makes me sick. It really does. Hideously muscular (or heroin-addict thin) guys walking around shirtless, fat girls with leggings on, no opportunity to wear my selection of fabulous military jackets... It's awful. Simply awful. I go further: any temperature higher than 10 degrees Celsius is too damn hot.

Jarawara
2010-07-02, 09:55 AM
Too Damn Celsiusly Hot!!! :smallcool:

Form
2010-07-02, 11:02 AM
Gah, it's still too hot! Today's even worse than yesterday. I'm really looking forward to some rain now, hell, lots and lots of rain. Grey skies, shorter days and lower temperatures are what I want now.

To think that some people actually like this sort of wheather...

Scorpina
2010-07-02, 11:06 AM
I agree that it is too hot. Also, my un-girlfriend keeps wearing miniskirts and such to work, and that makes it impossible for me to function normally.

Stupid summer.

Amiel
2010-07-04, 06:08 AM
Over 30 degrees celsius is nothing, Mildura regularly tops 40 degrees celsius over summer (but it's a dry heat).

Lioness
2010-07-04, 06:15 AM
Over 30 degrees celsius is nothing, Mildura regularly tops 40 degrees celsius over summer (but it's a dry heat).

We had about a week of over 43...most days at 45 or thereabouts.

I hate summer.

Serpentine
2010-07-04, 06:28 AM
I think my Boy said Glouster hit 50oC once.

Amiel
2010-07-04, 06:40 AM
Australia, where, if you're not freezing, you're roasting in your own juices.

I bet you dollar to peanuts that the expression "hot enough to fry eggs on the [insert customary object here]" originated in Australia.

Lioness
2010-07-04, 07:27 AM
Yeah...one of these days I shall actually try to fry an egg on a slippery dip.

Yarram
2010-07-04, 07:29 AM
Yeah...one of these days I shall actually try to fry an egg on a slippery dip.

But first you'll have to wash your face and brush your teeth.

Serpentine
2010-07-04, 07:40 AM
Oooo, that rings a bell. Peter Coombe?

Closak
2010-07-04, 07:45 AM
...Kill me...(Wheeze) *Collapse*

Lioness
2010-07-04, 07:48 AM
Oooo, that rings a bell. Peter Coombe?

Yup :)

And I can't stop myself breaking into song, now. I'm gonna have that stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

Amiel
2010-07-04, 07:48 AM
Dragon flu?

Serpentine
2010-07-04, 07:52 AM
The other day, I ate a toffee apple.
I think you know where I'm going with that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMws2s5R8X4).

SDF
2010-07-04, 07:56 AM
Where I grew up in MN it went from -70F to 100F (-57C to 38C) in the course of a year. That's with the wind chill, but 20 a degree swing doesn't even feel any different at that temperature.

It usually gets over 110F a few days or weeks in the summer here, but it is a desert after all. It's going to be in the lower to mid 80s until midweek, though, which should be nice for a while.