PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Swordmage

The J Pizzel
2010-06-30, 10:01 AM
Level 11. Should only last about 4 levels. Anything goes. Party is Gnome Bard, Eladrin Wizard, and Drow Rogue

I focused on lots of being able to mark a lot of foes, move around the battle field, and reduce the damage to my allies.

The bard has an ability to randomly mark bad guys for me, so the Frostwind Blade At Will seemed like a good call.

thanks,
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Yuriel, level 11
Genasi, Swordmage, Academy Master
Build: Shielding Swordmage
Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
Elemental Manifestation: Cindersoul

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 18, Dex 11, Int 22, Wis 11, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 29 Fort: 22 Reflex: 24 Will: 19
HP: 103 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +18, Insight +10, Athletics +13, Intimidate +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +11, Heal +5, History +11, Nature +7, Perception +5, Religion +11, Stealth +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +5

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 4: Eyes of Dying Light
Level 6: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 8: Toughness
Level 10: Defensive Mobility
Level 11: Fleet-Footed

POWERS
Swordmage at-will 1: Frostwind Blade
Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
Swordmage daily 1: Blade of Judgment
Swordmage utility 2: Channeling Shield
Swordmage encounter 3: Dimensional Vortex
Swordmage daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Swordmage utility 6: Swordmage's Decree
Swordmage encounter 7: Shatterblade
Swordmage daily 9: Hellspike Assault
Swordmage utility 10: Dimensional Dodge

ITEMS
Farbond Spellblade Bastard sword +3, Magic Drowmesh +3, Hungry Spear Javelin +1, Aura Killer Javelin +1, Giantkind Gloves (heroic tier), Amulet of Physical Resolve +2, Command Circlet (heroic tier), Boots of Striding (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Sir Enigma
2010-06-30, 10:18 AM
Currently playing a swordmage at level 4, and the only thing that occurs to me is that the Sword Burst at will is amazingly useful - I took that one and Booming Blade, and probably use Sword Burst 3/4 of the time. Great for minions, swarms, and anything with high AC/low Reflex. Also, you should probably get Versatile Expertise (heavy blades/light blades) instead of Weapon Expertise - that way you get the bonus to your implement attacks with the sword as well.

The J Pizzel
2010-06-30, 10:29 AM
Funny. I had just swapped out that Sword Burst thinking that I could let the Wizzie handle AoE's. But I think I'll throw it back in considering I originally took and and you're saying it's good.

Where would I find Versatile Expertise, can't find it?

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-30, 10:53 AM
Hrmmm…

I commend your choice of shielding swordmage for this party. That’s a trio of squishies that are going to love your ability to protect them.

I second the choice of Sword Burst. Yes, the wizard can handle AoEs, but minions come in large swarms and neither the bard nor the rogue can effectively crush huge groups at will. You’ll be in the thick of things and Sword Burst will allow you to nicely supplement the wizard’s abilities. While Greenflame Blade can also help clear targets out (and can in some cases actually be more reliable), Sword Burst is a bit better for this purpose.

In that vein, though, I have to wonder why you took Quickling Stride over Swordmage’s Decree. The ability to mark an enormous amount of targets with your Aegis is hard to overlook, as is the fact that at worst is simply functions like a once-per-encounter extra Aegis mark. You can shut down entire enemy offenses as a shielding swordmage with a good use of decree.

The J Pizzel
2010-06-30, 11:00 AM
Hrmmm…

I commend your choice of shielding swordmage for this party. That’s a trio of squishies that are going to love your ability to protect them.

I second the choice of Sword Burst. Yes, the wizard can handle AoEs, but minions come in large swarms and neither the bard nor the rogue can effectively crush huge groups at will. You’ll be in the thick of things and Sword Burst will allow you to nicely supplement the wizard’s abilities. While Greenflame Blade can also help clear targets out (and can in some cases actually be more reliable), Sword Burst is a bit better for this purpose.

In that vein, though, I have to wonder why you took Quickling Stride over Swordmage’s Decree. The ability to mark an enormous amount of targets with your Aegis is hard to overlook, as is the fact that at worst is simply functions like a once-per-encounter extra Aegis mark. You can shut down entire enemy offenses as a shielding swordmage with a good use of decree.

Overlooked Swordmage's Decree. Awesome power. Taking that now.

Sir Enigma
2010-06-30, 11:51 AM
Versatile Expertise is in the PHB3 I believe.

Another trick you can play with Sword Burst, if you don't mind spending a couple feats: take Resounding Thunder as your level 11 feat, and retrain one of your earlier feats to Arcane Admixture: Thunder (Swordburst). This makes Swordburst a close burst 2, and also increases the size of any other thunder bursts/blasts you may take.

If you don't want to invest the feats in that, you might consider Greater Swordmage Warding (+1 to all defenses, including AC) or Double Aegis (mark 2 people instead of 1) as your level 11 feat.

Mando Knight
2010-06-30, 12:12 PM
Personally, I'd have gone as a different race for a Shielding Swordmage. Genasi are custom-tailored for the Assault build. Eladrin would have granted 13 Dex easy, allowing you to get Improved Swordmage Warding for a nice bonus to all your defenses even earlier than everyone else.

I second Versatile Expertise. Strictly better unless you're going for Weapon Mastery, which is in Dragon and completely useless for a Swordmage. (Not so much for, say, a Rogue or Ranger, who might switch between bow and blade on the fly, or a two-weapon Fighter that wants to go Longsword and Dagger...)

Frostwind Blade is a decent power, and I wish my swordmage had it right now (stuck in a row, can't damage a marked opponent that I really want dead), but Booming Blade is good for pseudo-marking a second opponent. They can't leave your side without taking a decent amount of automatic damage.

Sir Enigma
2010-06-30, 12:19 PM
Genasi do well for shielding as well - the +2 STR allows you to qualify for Greater Warding at lv.11 without investing any points, so freeing up the points to put in DEX (for Improved Warding) or WIS (for Wandering Swordmage).

The J Pizzel
2010-06-30, 02:07 PM
I can't find Versatile Expertise in the builder. Where is it?

Sir Enigma
2010-06-30, 02:20 PM
Confusingly enough, it's under "Heroic Tier Feats" (rather than lumped in with all the other Expertise feats, where one would naturally look for it...)