PDA

View Full Version : Members List Accessible Again?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-30, 02:31 PM
So, I noticed I can access the Members List again, which I don't think was intentional on the part of the admins. If it is, ignore this, but if it's not, you might want to fix it.

Salbazier
2010-06-30, 03:23 PM
Why it was made inaccessible in the first place?

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-30, 03:24 PM
Bandwidth issues, I believe.

Jokasti
2010-06-30, 03:35 PM
Sweet. Cool to see what it looks like.

Temotei
2010-06-30, 07:22 PM
Sweet. Cool to see what it looks like.

Agreed. :smallcool:

The member count on there is different than the one on the front page, however. I wonder if it counts banned people on the front page.

Gamerlord
2010-06-30, 07:32 PM
Sweet, always wanted to see what it looks like.

arguskos
2010-06-30, 07:59 PM
Just noticed this. Discovered something hilarious (for me anyways). Can't share though, Forum Rules and whatnot.

Still, I somehow doubt this was intentional. Good to let the mods know, in case.

icastflare!
2010-06-30, 08:18 PM
For the person asking if it counts banned people, I do not think it does sinceI cannot find people who were banned a couple months ago to one that was banned recently.

Temotei
2010-06-30, 08:34 PM
For the person asking if it counts banned people, I do not think it does sinceI cannot find people who were banned a couple months ago to one that was banned recently.

On the front page, the number of members is counted on the bottom. It's like...44,500 or something.

On the member list, it's about 39,000, I think. It's just a guess, but I'm thinking the front page number counts banned members.

Serpentine
2010-06-30, 09:23 PM
Oh, no. That means another 40k Week :smallsigh:

There has been some talk by the admins about slowly bringing back some old features. I really hope this is the start of that... If so: Yay! Thanks mods! :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2010-06-30, 09:33 PM
Oh, no. That means another 40k Week :smallsigh:

There has been some talk by the admins about slowly bringing back some old features. I really hope this is the start of that... If so: Yay! Thanks mods! :smallbiggrin:

Yes, because another 40k week is obviously a BAD thing.

>_>

<_<

Silly Serps.

Cobalt
2010-06-30, 10:07 PM
Huh. It looks a bit funky to me.

Also, that's a lot of incoherent names.

Mystic Muse
2010-06-30, 11:02 PM
Huh. I think I'm going to go look some people up.

EDIT: Yeah, the members list ignores the banned people. I decided to look up one of my friends and he isn't there.

Temotei
2010-07-01, 12:44 AM
Huh. I think I'm going to go look some people up.

EDIT: Yeah, the members list ignores the banned people. I decided to look up one of my friends and he isn't there.

Hooray for correct hypotheses! :smallbiggrin:

Jokasti
2010-07-01, 02:53 AM
Fun Fact: It also doesn't show Ghosts in the Playground.

Gamerlord
2010-07-01, 05:57 AM
Fun Fact: It also doesn't show Ghosts in the Playground.

Obviously not, they're invisible. :smalltongue:

Boo
2010-07-01, 06:35 AM
This is kinda against the point of the members list, but I found myself looking for the oldest, active, non-mod/admin. Apparently Zherog wins.

That'll probably be the only thing I ever do with the list. I'm sure others will have more proper use for it than myself.

...Okay, I also looked myself up to see where I am in the alphabetical pages. 139, and over a pile of books.

No more wasting valuable bandwidth for me!

I was surprised that it showed rank and gender. Usually in forums such as this one I only see names in that column. Would taking those out (gender and rank) from the list help increase available bandwidth?

Trixie
2010-07-01, 08:00 PM
I was surprised that it showed rank and gender. Usually in forums such as this one I only see names in that column. Would taking those out (gender and rank) from the list help increase available bandwidth?

And how exactly messing (that can break the forum, btw) with a feature no one ever used is going to save any bandwidth? :smallsigh:

Even disabling it in the first place didn't save any bandwidth/computing power, I'd bet.

Oh, and I see you're back :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2010-07-01, 08:24 PM
Yes, the member list has returned and it was meant to return. Though, for future reference, if you notice something you think is wrong and should be brought to our attention to fix, please send us a private message. Posting it publically like this will just make the problem worse.

And how exactly messing (that can break the forum, btw) with a feature no one ever used is going to save any bandwidth? :smallsigh:

Clearly you are not aware of the outcry when it was first disabled, the numerous threads and other posts people created asking why it was disabled and if it could be re-enabled, the explanations for why they liked the feature, or the PMs and emails I have received asking for it to be enabled.

Also, disabling or enabling certain features will no more break the forums than making a post or a new thread.

Even disabling it in the first place didn't save any bandwidth/computing power, I'd bet.

As an IT tech, I would have expected you to know more about the impact of SQL queries on a database this large. When you're dealing with a server that would fall over at the drop of a hat during peak periods, you have to shave every SQL query possible, the member list was non-essential and the queries required were not completely computing power inexpensive.

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-02, 12:01 AM
Yes, the member list has returned and it was meant to return.Ha HA! Now to start plotting for the return of multiquote. :smallcool:

Renegade Paladin
2010-07-02, 12:46 AM
Yes, the member list has returned and it was meant to return.
Ha HA! Now to start plotting for the return of multiquote. :smallcool:
You were saying? :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2010-07-02, 12:48 AM
Yes, the member list has returned and it was meant to return.
Ha HA! Now to start plotting for the return of multiquote. :smallcool:You were saying? :smalltongue:
That's nested quoting.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-02, 12:50 AM
What was Multiquoting? I don't think I was around for that. Or if I was, I never got the opportunity to use it.

Milskidasith
2010-07-02, 12:54 AM
Nested quotes are back? (Or here, since I'm pretty sure I joined far after they were taken down).

Zeb The Troll
2010-07-02, 12:55 AM
Multiquote allowed you to be able to tag several different posts to be quoted and responded to in one follow up post, with each post tagged quoted separately. It's possible to get the same thing done, currently, but it was really nice to be able to read a thread, tag posts you wanted to respond to, and then click a Reply button and just have them all there and quoted already.

Nested quotes are back? (Or here, since I'm pretty sure I joined far after they were taken down).Nested quotes have always been possible, and to my knowledge there was never a magic button to do that for you.

Renegade Paladin
2010-07-02, 12:55 AM
Nested quotes are back? (Or here, since I'm pretty sure I joined far after they were taken down).
If you know how, they were never gone. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-07-02, 01:13 AM
Multiquote allowed you to be able to tag several different posts to be quoted and responded to in one follow up post, with each post tagged quoted separately. It's possible to get the same thing done, currently, but it was really nice to be able to read a thread, tag posts you wanted to respond to, and then click a Reply button and just have them all there and quoted already.

Ah. I could have used that a few times I'd say. However, I'll make do with what the mods can give us.

Rawhide
2010-07-02, 01:28 AM
vBulletin will nest quotes in PM but will automatically remove quotes within the post you are quoting for a regular post. This is standard behaviour and has not been changed since day one.

Zherog
2010-07-02, 07:43 AM
This is kinda against the point of the members list, but I found myself looking for the oldest, active, non-mod/admin. Apparently Zherog wins.

Yay! Where do I go to collect my prize? :)

Rawhide
2010-07-02, 08:03 AM
Yay! Where do I go to collect my prize? :)

Congratulations! You've won the no prize!

Rockphed
2010-07-02, 08:12 AM
vBulletin will nest quotes in PM but will automatically remove quotes within the post you are quoting for a regular post. This is standard behaviour and has not been changed since day one.

Ah, vBulletin, how we love your quote pyramid destroying ways. Whatever would we do without you?Probably destroy the forum with a thread dedicated to making the biggest quote pyramid ever in SMBG, but there are other sinister(or dexter) possibilities.

Zherog
2010-07-02, 08:30 AM

Woohoo !

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-02, 08:50 AM
Ah, vBulletin, how we love your quote pyramid destroying ways. Whatever would we do without you?Probably destroy the forum with a thread dedicated to making the biggest quote pyramid ever in SMBG, but there are other sinister(or dexter) possibilities.

I recall there already was such a game once. I think it got locked early on, but I might be wrong. It might also be the same thing with nested spoilers.

kpenguin
2010-07-02, 10:04 AM

He didn't win "no prize". He won a dot!

Serpentine
2010-07-02, 10:06 AM
Oh ho ho. Rawhide, you sly dog.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-02, 12:30 PM
Wait a minute. Rawhide can't be handing out No Prizes if he's not Stan Lee...

Or is he? :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-02, 01:26 PM
Wait a minute. Rawhide can't be handing out No Prizes if he's not Stan Lee...

Or is he? :smalleek:

That would be an awesome revelation.

(7)

kamikasei
2010-07-08, 08:59 AM
Ha HA! Now to start plotting for the return of multiquote. :smallcool:
Ask and ye shall receive, it seems.

Elder Tsofu
2010-07-08, 09:02 AM
Indeed, wonder what's next.
Someone knows the nifty features of the forum-software which we could plot about? :smallconfused:

horngeek
2010-07-08, 09:02 AM

Indeed, wonder what's next.
Someone knows the nifty features of the forum-software which we could plot about? :smallconfused:

Indeed. :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2010-07-08, 09:05 AM
It was actually already the very next thing to return well before anyone asked for it.

Also, automatically nested quotes in posts never existed. vBulletin strips quotes within quotes as its standard behaviour (except within PMs).

Maximum Zersk
2010-07-08, 06:42 PM
Hm, Spoiler Button, Multiquote, Members List...

It looks like the Calendar is next. :smalltongue:

Roland St. Jude
2010-07-10, 04:14 PM
Sheriff: Yay, Rawhide! This thread has served its purpose.