PDA

View Full Version : Plane shifting a city (my Burning Plague players stay out)

Kaulesh
2010-06-30, 02:49 PM
So I've got a bit of a strange idea and I'm trying to run with it. I started up a game as a one-shot with the potential of expanding into a full-blown campaign if the party wishes. It appears that the party would like to continue after the adventure is done, so I was thinking of what to do when that time came.

I recently got Ptolus and I love it. I'm going to be including a bit of material from Chaositech shortly (just the cults, none of the actual "tech" yet). In order to further their goals, whatever they may be, they're messing with the structure of the world. As a result, they can somehow transport entire cities and their populations to other planes and such. Starting off, it will probably be random which cities are transported and where the destinations are. As time progresses, they would begin gaining control over this.

I'm just brainstorming here. Are there any existing (possibly epic) spells or such that do this? Perhaps it could be through the return of the Galchutt themselves or something. If I go through with it, does anyone have any ideas for a cause the party could fight against or a possible explanation for why the forces of chaos/evil are working together on this?

I was thinking of having the town the players are staying in forcefully removed from its location in the hills and implanted on another world. It's currently in the Greyhawk campaign setting, so it could, for instance, land in Khorvaire, Faerun, Praemal, any other campaign setting, or perhaps another plane (elemental or otherwise). Bad idea? We're not married to the setting or anything.

Lord Vampyre
2010-06-30, 03:21 PM
It sounds like an interesting concept. I don't know about the forces of chaos working together, but the forces of evil could have been solidified under a strong enough demon prince. Asmodeus comes to mind.

As for a cause, the demons are always trying to get to the mortal realm to corrupt the living. Now if they were able to get their cults to start working together to perform some form of high level rituals to transport entire populations to a layer of hell, then you don't have to go there in person and deal with the consequence of the celestials interference.

During the experimentation stage the towns just seem to be transported to a random world or plane. As things progress, the cults are getting better at perfecting the ritual and they start getting more precise to the location the villages end up. Eventually landing the one of the villages into a layer of hell.

As far as I know, there isn't anything in the rules, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Especially, if your advancing a plot line. Just make up something that sounds fairly reasonable and run with it.

Kaulesh
2010-06-30, 11:51 PM
Thanks. You've been a lot of help.

I'm not surprised that you haven't heard of any of this - it's all from third-party material. Very good material, but third-party nonetheless.

I suppose a bit of the setting fluff is required. These Galchutt are beings of pure chaos that existed before the gods created the multiverse. They became trapped on a certain world and as a result are severely weakened, being in some kind of deep slumber but still able to affect the course of events. Before the trap was placed, they seeded the new world with chaositech "vaults." Chaositech isn't any kind of logical technology, but the perverse creation of those beings with the sole purpose of turning more individuals to the cause.

So I've been doing more brainstorming. Cultists unearthed a large piece of 'tech. As the devices don't have any logical planning, they are all unique - lots of buttons, levers, switches, etc. Through random fiddling and subtle guidance from the Galchutt, they've been slowly learning to bring in great chunks of other worlds. That's not the entirety of what I've got, but I need to keep some stuff secret from prying eyes.

BobVosh
2010-06-30, 11:58 PM
I know I've played in several games where various planes bleed through to the one you are currently on. Such as a place where hell is a close plane so all devils can plane shift between the two, and even a normal mortal can accidentally walk into hell.

Basically make an epic spell based around doing that. You don't even need to stat the dang thing, just imply that its a slow process (unless you don't want it to be) and no one will really question it. If it is a fast process mention his swarm of lower level mages helping fuel it with magic spell levels, and life force (kill off 10 or 20 of em)

Er...Just read the tech thing. Sounds like you already got it planned out then.