PDA

View Full Version : 1 hp build

TrueMikeBrown
2010-06-30, 04:26 PM
First off, this post is just for fun - I don't actually plan on doing this in a game.

I was wondering if anyone could come up with a build that would allow a 1 hp, lv 20 character to be at least moderately effective (IE the party does not hate you, and you survived until lv 20).

Using a Standard Point buy system and a Kobold, and taking the following flaws one can create a lv 20 character that has 1 hp.

Starting Con: 8
Kobold racial: -2
Pathetic: -2
Final Con: 4

Lv 1 (any d6 hd class)
Flaws(Pathetic(Con), Frail) (UA)
Feats(3 free)
Draconic Rite of Passage (ROTD) -1 hp, -100 gp

At this point, you have 6 hp from your class level, -3 from your Con, -1 from Frail, and -1 from the Rite of Passage. (or 1 hp, total)

Lv 2 - 20 (any d4 hd class)

Since you can gain a maximum of 4 hp per level from your dice, and you have -4 hp from your Con and flaw (and the flaw sets your minimum hp per hd to 0) you cannot gain any hp unless you raise your Con score (as long as you level up in a d4 hd class).

Side notes:
If the player takes the Greater draconic rite of passage, the hp loss can be offset with either toughness, or gaining a toad familiar.

Feel free to monkey around with the build all you want.

nedz
2010-06-30, 05:11 PM
Unfortunatley you get a minimum of 1 HP per level PH p58

dextercorvia
2010-06-30, 05:12 PM

The frail flaw actually changes that.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-30, 05:14 PM

Did you actually read the first post?? :smallsigh:

Oslecamo
2010-06-30, 05:14 PM

Overriden by flaws from unhearted arcana and also in the srd. Frail reduces the HP you gain every level by 1 and can reduce it to 0.

BobVosh
2010-06-30, 05:18 PM
Lvl 1 rogue, lvl 19 wizard using this build vs a monk! go!

The Glyphstone
2010-06-30, 05:18 PM
There's also the Quick trait, which can also apply -1 HP/level, minimum 0.

Mongoose87
2010-06-30, 05:20 PM
Lvl 1 rogue, lvl 19 wizard using this build vs a monk! go!

Rogue? BAH! Spellthief!

TrueMikeBrown
2010-06-30, 05:29 PM
I like the quick trait... it would allow you to no longer have to be a Kobold.

I suppose that some necessary parts of the build would be having insane SR and AC, and good saving throws. Having full concealment all the time, and evasion would be good as well.

Another option would be to use magic jar, or something like that a lot (if you could leave your body in a fairly safe place)

Prime32
2010-06-30, 05:33 PM
I've seen a 0hp psionic build that has to manifest vigor just to walk around.

Hallavast
2010-06-30, 05:39 PM
Sorry. The build automatically fails. You're a kobold and you want the rest of the party to NOT hate you. :smalltongue:

TrueMikeBrown
2010-06-30, 05:41 PM
I've seen a 0hp psionic build that has to manifest vigor just to walk around.

That would be interesting... Do you have a link to that?

Having a toad familiar and taking the greater rite of passage would be similar to that (in that your character passes out the moment the toad dies)

Il_Vec
2010-06-30, 05:44 PM
You can be immune to HP damage, actually. Ask most Test of Spiters.

Prime32
2010-06-30, 05:46 PM
That would be interesting... Do you have a link to that?It was somewhere in the Psionic Naruto Builds (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002.0) thread.

EDIT: Ah, here we go (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002.msg198345#msg198345).

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 05:46 PM
If you can somehow get the starting 1 HP on an Elan Psion then they can make this work via Resilience and/or Share Pain. Especially if you take the Aberrant Manifesting (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/elan-psion#AM) racial sub that lets them double-dip PP on manifesting powers and using their racial abilities. Combine with the Enhanced Elan Resilience feat that increased the damage reduced from 2 per PP to 4.

TrueMikeBrown
2010-06-30, 06:02 PM
I don't think share pain would work - if you take one hp of damage you are staggered, but I like the Elan Resilience option

Combining that with Vigor (like in the Psionic build that Prime32 linked to) you could start with 0hp, and still at least be able to act in battle

Too bad someone already made this :smallsigh:

Octopus Jack
2010-06-30, 06:05 PM
Get your cleric friend to cast persisted delay death on you everyday, that'll stop you being killed instantly from anything dealing 11+ points of damage...

Ernir
2010-06-30, 06:08 PM
I'm actually playing a Kobold like this.

OK, fine, not really. He has 21 HP at ECL 5, but there's not much of a difference between that and 1 HP when the enemies' damage isn't in the single digits. :smallyuk:

It isn't working out too well so far. :smalleek:

EDIT:
Get your cleric friend to cast persisted delay death on you everyday, that'll stop you being killed instantly from anything dealing 11+ points of damage...

Delay Death + Persist requires something like Ocular Spell (ew) to pull off, though. The range is not naturally fixed, which Persist requires. =/

Anywho. There are ways to get immune to damage/dying, using one of them would make having 1 HP a complete nonissue.

dextercorvia
2010-06-30, 06:13 PM

Dude, Harsh.

I was using info from the first post to refute the assertion of the second. Perhaps you would like another look at my post.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-30, 06:32 PM
Dude, Harsh.

I was using info from the first post to refute the assertion of the second. Perhaps you would like another look at my post.

My post was actually in response to the second guy, not you. Did you not get that? Sorry, then.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I hit the wrong quote box. Fixing....

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 06:35 PM
I don't think share pain would work - if you take one hp of damage you are staggered, but I like the Elan Resilience option

Combining that with Vigor (like in the Psionic build that Prime32 linked to) you could start with 0hp, and still at least be able to act in battle

Too bad someone already made this :smallsigh:

I was trying to avoid Vigor, since then you wouldn't technically be a "1 HP build" anymore.

Did you actually quote the right person? :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-30, 06:55 PM
Did you actually quote the right person? :smalltongue:

Yeah, yeah. My bad. It's fixed now. :smallsigh::smallsigh:

dextercorvia
2010-06-30, 07:02 PM
My post was actually in response to the second guy, not you. Did you not get that? Sorry, then.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I hit the wrong quote box. Fixing....

No problem.

To the topic: What about Troll Blooded and Rapid Regeneration. Maybe use Sinfire Titan's Elder Evil/Chaos Shuffle trick to get a few extra feats for RR.

Edit: Since it requires Toughness, I guess you Ritual the extra 3 HP away.

Marriclay
2010-06-30, 07:39 PM
No problem.

To the topic: What about Troll Blooded and Rapid Regeneration. Maybe use Sinfire Titan's Elder Evil/Chaos Shuffle trick to get a few extra feats for RR.

Edit: Since it requires Toughness, I guess you Ritual the extra 3 HP away.

Ye gods! I hadn't even considered how powerful Chaos Shuffle might be for Trollblooded!

dextercorvia
2010-06-30, 07:40 PM
You're welcome.

Lysander
2010-06-30, 09:54 PM
Lich wizard. Use flying, illusions, abjurations to stop enemies from hitting you. When they finally do hit you, come back to life in a few days. Death is inconvenient but nothing more.

Zaq
2010-06-30, 10:06 PM
I think that going with an insanely cheesed out (pull out all the stops, and then some) Hide/MS/HiPS/Darkstalker thing would be your best bet, short of using Vigor. Simply don't even give your enemies the chance to target you. It's not foolproof, but what is?

Optimystik
2010-06-30, 10:44 PM
Lich wizard. Use flying, illusions, abjurations to stop enemies from hitting you. When they finally do hit you, come back to life in a few days. Death is inconvenient but nothing more.

Or as the elan psion above, Astral Seed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm) doubles as a phylactery.

Grumman
2010-07-01, 12:19 AM
Wu Jen / Spellthief 1 / Arcane Trickster, with a dip in Incantatrix. Create massive numbers of shadow clones with Persisted Body Outside Body, and send them on suicide missions while you stay at home.

Corporate M
2010-07-01, 12:26 AM
4th Edition has minions, maybe you should implement that as a template and save yourself alot of mechanical trouble.

MINION:
- Only has 1HP. Cannot gain additional HP from bonus hit die or non-magical means.
+ Whenever an attack roll is made against a minion, the attacker must roll again and take the lower result.
+ Whenever a minion makes a saving throw, they may roll again and take the higher result.
+ Whenever a minion makes a saving throw that would halve damage or cause a partial effect, it negates the entire effect instead.

Not sure how balanced it is. But it seems like a fair tradeoff to be more difficult to hit and make those save-or-dies. Ironically evocations, which are otherwise underpowered in the spell demographic, are tremendously good against minions... Makes book keeping easier too if you have no intention of your encounter being that dangerous.

I had to add that the saving throw negates all or else it'd just be a complete downgrade. A loose fireball would kill you instantly unless I gave it the possibility of saving.

My guess is you'll still have a higher rate of death then a normal character. And it'll be alot more random then a normal character. About the only time minion template comes in handy is for lower level characters.

nedz
2010-07-01, 09:08 AM
Did you actually read the first post??
Hi,
yes I did read it, evidently incorrectly.
My bad.

Its easy to do as you seem to have discovered.:smallbiggrin:

Rothen
2010-07-01, 09:24 AM
A wizard build should be able to pull it off with some contingencies.

Getting knocked unconscious by a level 1 sorcerer who knows power word pain will be embarrassing, though.