PDA

View Full Version : How'd Roy, Belkar, and Durkon get there so fast?

Erts
2010-06-30, 06:41 PM
Wait, has it only been one day in comic?
How did the rest of the party get up to the Empire of Blood so fast without help?

I think I might be missing something...

Shale
2010-06-30, 06:42 PM
Wind Walk?

Erts
2010-06-30, 07:00 PM
Wind Walk?

.... Possibly, but could they go that far in one day? (Yeah they probably could.)

Really, is Wind Walk that easy?

Shale
2010-06-30, 07:06 PM
Wind walk gives a top speed of 60 MPH, so yeah, they can get pretty far in a day.

Ron Miel
2010-06-30, 07:57 PM
Has it been established how far away the EOB is from their prior location?

It might only be a few hours travel by conventional means.

suszterpatt
2010-06-30, 08:41 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

"The nearest edge of the desert is only four days to the north-northeast. If we start walking now."

mucat
2010-06-30, 09:06 PM
Has it been established how far away the EOB is from their prior location?

It might only be a few hours travel by conventional means.
Conventional means, in their world, is walking.

Think how far you can walk in a few hours. Now estimate the odds that, if you started from some random spot, that journey would have taken you not only across a national boundary, but into the capitol of the next country.

Besides which, if they had walked, they would have entry papers. :smallwink:

Nave Senrag
2010-07-01, 09:33 AM
I believe that Durkon said that it was too dangerous to windwalk over a desert.http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0673.html

factotum
2010-07-01, 10:35 AM
Although I think he just didn't want to use Wind Walk again because of his fear of heights! :smalltongue:

Mind you, that might be truer than I think, considering they didn't use the obvious approach of Wind Walking from the island in to Sandsedge--I guess it would have been difficult for V to have his heart-to-heart with Blackwing if they'd done that, though.

EvilElf
2010-07-01, 12:44 PM
Maybe Durkon has access to the Travel domain and used Teleport on the party?

Optimystik
2010-07-01, 12:49 PM

If anyone in the Order could teleport, I think we would have known it by now. (And they wouldn't have needed to wait for Shojo's taxi to be resurrected.)

EvilElf
2010-07-01, 12:57 PM
It could be he didn't gain access to that spell till around now.

suszterpatt
2010-07-01, 12:58 PM
Although I think he just didn't want to use Wind Walk again because of his fear of heights! :smalltongue:

Mind you, that might be truer than I think, considering they didn't use the obvious approach of Wind Walking from the island in to Sandsedge--I guess it would have been difficult for V to have his heart-to-heart with Blackwing if they'd done that, though.Maybe Hinjo's ship is faster than Wind Walk?

factotum
2010-07-01, 12:59 PM
Maybe Hinjo's ship is faster than Wind Walk?

A sailing ship faster than 60mph? Not even if it had a hurricane behind it!

Optimystik
2010-07-01, 01:03 PM
It could be he didn't gain access to that spell till around now.

Durkon has had 5th-level spells for awhile now. If he had the Travel domain, he would have been able to teleport back then.

It doesn't even have a material component, so we can't say "well, he could cast it, but didn't have the necessary tools 'till now."

For what it's worth, I think his domains are Air and War, or Air and Strength.

Erts
2010-07-01, 01:06 PM
Well, the reason they took a boat is justifiable, as Durkon probably isn't high enough level to use it on the whole party (1 person per 3 caster levels), so Durkon would have to be level 15 to carry them all.
But for this case, how exactly did they move so darn quickly?

RndmNumGen
2010-07-01, 01:28 PM
Well, the reason they took a boat is justifiable, as Durkon probably isn't high enough level to use it on the whole party (1 person per 3 caster levels), so Durkon would have to be level 15 to carry them all.
But for this case, how exactly did they move so darn quickly?

He might not of been able to carry the whole party with Wind Walk, but he could carry Roy, Belkar and himself. As far as the desert winds go, they were already out of the desert, remember? Elan, V and Haley got kidnapped in a town. The rest of the OotS was in that town as well, and wind-walking from town to town doesn't seem that hard.

Kumo
2010-07-01, 01:31 PM
Wait, has it only been one day in comic?
How did the rest of the party get up to the Empire of Blood so fast without help?

I think I might be missing something...

It's been at least to the next day, since Durkon was preparing his spells for the day.

It's also perfectly plausible that the town they were captured in was not the first town they visited.

Hardcore
2010-07-01, 02:04 PM
They also have their part of the dragon horde to pay for magical help.

Kumo
2010-07-01, 02:06 PM
They also have their part of the dragon horde to pay for magical help.

was that ever returned to them even after about 4/5ths of it was destroyed? :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2010-07-01, 02:09 PM

He worships Thor who I'm pretty sure wouldn't grant that domain (even in the oots-verse, why would a drunken god of thunder be associated to travel?).

Kumo
2010-07-01, 02:12 PM
He worships Thor who I'm pretty sure wouldn't grant that domain (even in the oots-verse, why would a drunken god of thunder be associated to travel?).

To make it easier to get home when they take your horse's keys bridle and saddle?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-01, 03:02 PM
They travel at the speed of plot. (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq7)

RMcMurtry
2010-07-01, 03:21 PM
Wind walk. 6th level spell. 60 mph for a number of hours equal to Durkon's level. And even if it were dangerous in the desert... the capture of Haley, V, and Elan makes it an emergency.

factotum
2010-07-01, 03:27 PM

If that was the case, why didn't Durkon just say that when Belkar asked why they weren't Wind Walking to the gate, rather than come up with some lame excuse about the desert winds being too strong? If he was too low level to carry them all then that would have been the time to say it!

EvilElf
2010-07-01, 03:45 PM
They travel at the speed of plot. (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq7)
That was going to be my next guess.

Kumo
2010-07-01, 03:46 PM
Wind walk. 6th level spell. 60 mph for a number of hours equal to Durkon's level. And even if it were dangerous in the desert... the capture of Haley, V, and Elan makes it an emergency.

It was established that they can wind walk outside of the main part of the desert.

BlueWizard
2010-07-01, 03:47 PM
Fantasy World. Need you even ask? :smallbiggrin:

DBJack
2010-07-01, 09:39 PM
Durkon using windwalk to move to the empire of blood would explain why he needed to recharge his spell slots so badly that he couldn't be disturbed. I doubt a day of searching the city for clues would use up that many spell slots.

Bongos
2010-07-01, 09:49 PM
Durkon, Roy and Belkar weren't in the open desert, they were already in a town and in one of the countries that border the open desert, since they weren't in the desert where the winds are too strong, Durkon was able to use Wind Walk.

Kranden
2010-07-01, 11:56 PM
Plot speed

Haggis
2010-07-02, 10:05 AM
They were already there. This is the same city team elan were captured in.

The bounty hunters most likely living or at least operating out of it which is why they came back. After all, if the team roy didn't get lucky and find them they in that city wouldn't go to random cities looking for someone who smelled like the poster. They would go directly to the palace.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 10:06 AM

Two words, Haggis.

Teleport. Scroll.

Kish
2010-07-02, 10:37 AM
Considering the bounty hunters used a teleport scroll to get to the Empire of Blood and went through an admission process when they got there, no.

Haggis
2010-07-02, 11:37 AM
Two words, Haggis.

Teleport. Scroll.

They had more then one. They could have teleported back.

But yeah now that I go though the earlier strips it does look like the city outside the palace.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 12:16 PM

But yeah now that I go though the earlier strips it does look like the city outside the palace.

That would bring up the question of how they got into the original city without papers.

St Fan
2010-07-02, 12:32 PM

Except Gannji complained about how much those cost, and with them not having been paid the full bounty they expected, it is extremely ulikely they were willing to waste another one just to travel back to whatever town they've snatched their last quarry. Unecessarily costly, and potentially dangerous too.

Honestly, I don't even understand HOW anybody could think that's a different city. Everything point out that Enor and Gannji stayed in the EOB capital city, and nothing hint that they've left. So, by the rule of plot economy, they are still there. Roy and Belkar finding them would make absolutely no sense otherwise.

And Rich had proven time and time again he's too good a storyteller to choose such an nonsensical path. Unlike that bunch of chronical Wild Mass Guessers in the forum, who should really learn about Occam's Razor.

Shale
2010-07-02, 12:42 PM
Also, Gannij mentions "the palace," where there is a flying kobold named Kilkil. If it was anyplace but the EoB, he'd have to specify "the Empire of Blood's palace."

Querzis
2010-07-02, 12:54 PM
I dunno why people are still arguing about this, Durkon already said in 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html) that he could use Wind Walk to move from one city to the next quickly. They obviously used Wind Walk, it also explains why they didnt have papers.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 01:00 PM
I dunno why people are still arguing about this, Durkon already said in 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html) that he could use Wind Walk to move from one city to the next quickly. They obviously used Wind Walk, it also explains why they didnt have papers.

The problem with that was that the guard would have noticed a bunch of people falling down out of the sky.

sihnfahl
2010-07-02, 01:18 PM
The problem with that was that the guard would have noticed a bunch of people falling down out of the sky.
Unless they came down in a spot where there were no guards.

Like how Durkon was able to SS through the wall to get out without getting pincushioned.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 01:31 PM

Like how Durkon was able to SS through the wall to get out without getting pincushioned.

OUT OF THE SKY.

hamishspence
2010-07-02, 01:34 PM
D&D spot checks can be pretty bad at fairly short distances.

Shale
2010-07-02, 01:35 PM
OUT OF THE SKY.

Which the guards would have seen on their.........radar?

Also, Wind Walk confers a gaseous form on the target until the spell ends. It's not like Superman touching down after a transcontinental flight.

Kumo
2010-07-02, 01:53 PM
Which the guards would have seen on their.........radar?You don't need a radar to see somebody falling out the sky. You REEEALLY don't.

Also, Wind Walk confers a gaseous form on the target until the spell ends. It's not like Superman touching down after a transcontinental flight.
Still looks enough like the original form to draw looks from what we've seen already >.>

Shale
2010-07-02, 01:54 PM

Seriously, how is this complicated?

St Fan
2010-07-03, 05:02 AM

Tunnel vision. Some readers seem unable to conceive that there is a world outside the current strip, or that the world outside the current strip is much larger than their reduced awareness allow.

In this case, the last panels of the current strip show just one entrance of the city, with guards around, so it is the whole of the OOTS world by now. Thus people coming through Wind Walk should necessarily land in view of the guards. Nevermind that it is a vast capital city containing, among other things, a huge palace, and thus there would be thousands of spots for Wind Walkers to land safely without being spotted. That would require too much imagination to consider.

Souhiro
2010-07-06, 07:43 AM
A sailing ship faster than 60mph? Not even if it had a hurricane behind it!
Yeah, but they surely needed to travel MANY uses of Wind Walk, they would end swimming when Durkon runs out of Wind Walks spells.

And Roy and Durkon would be swimming in Full Plate Armor, no less!

Take for account: where I live, a normal car can easily -and legally- reach the 75MpH (I'm, an evil spaniard from the vile Spain. I'm more used to the Kilometers per Hour) Put to account: The Atlantic Ocean is 1.770 miles in the shortest. That would be 25 hours of uninterrupted travel.Yeah, If the Sacred Order of the Stick would need to cross the Atlantic (And for our example, we will suposse that they indeed crossed it with the raft) It's really possible to Wind-Walk the entire party with a Lvl-13 cleric (Two casts of a 6º Lvl Spell) but doing so:

a) They would have a thin margin when they travelled: if they miss the shortest path, they can end taking a route that exceeds the longitude they can wind-walk, and ends water-swimming.
be) As we know, Durkon is able to cast ONE Lvl 6 spell, but we don't know if ha can cast two
ce) Try to Earth-Walk 25 hours. Nah, just try to Earth-Walk 12 hours without stop. Even if Durkon was able to cast Air-Walk a third time, the concentration check would be HIGH.

And the more important:

de) Sailing to the sunset is soooo dramatic... don't ruin the scene!

Niveus Candidus
2010-07-06, 09:02 AM
You don't need a radar to see somebody falling out the sky. You REEEALLY don't.

No, but you do need to be present and looking in that direction. In fact, you need to be looking up to see the majority of the act question. Otherwise, you are just as likely to miss it.

A lot of DMs have difficulty believing that PCs can slip into a major metropolitan area unnoticed, despite the fact you can do this in the real world every day. I don't really know, maybe some people think the world is smaller than it is?

factotum
2010-07-06, 02:46 PM
Take for account: where I live, a normal car can easily -and legally- reach the 75MpH (I'm, an evil spaniard from the vile Spain. I'm more used to the Kilometers per Hour) Put to account: The Atlantic Ocean is 1.770 miles in the shortest. That would be 25 hours of uninterrupted travel.

They weren't travelling across the entire ocean. V had teleported everyone to a small island "a few dozen kilometres from the Western Continent"--see strips #643 and #649. Wind Walk would have taken them to the coast in an hour, tops. And don't forget that at Durkon's presumed level he could travel around 800 miles with a single casting of the spell!

Niveus Candidus
2010-07-06, 08:46 PM
They weren't travelling across the entire ocean. V had teleported everyone to a small island "a few dozen kilometres from the Western Continent"--see strips #643 and #649. Wind Walk would have taken them to the coast in an hour, tops. And don't forget that at Durkon's presumed level he could travel around 800 miles with a single casting of the spell!

let's not forget that Wind Walk, as written, is not correct in your actual speed.

Wind Walk Text = 600 feet per round (60 mph)
60 mph = 88 feet per second (Completely plagiarized)
1 Round = 6 seconds
88 x 6 = 528 feet per round

:roach: Egads!

Actual Wind Walk Speed = 73.39 mph (Via the interwebs, which is a series of tubes)

As such, if we continue to ass/u/me a level of 15 for Dwarf, the Dwarf, He amongst the Dwarves who Dwarfs ...

73.39 x 15 = 1100.85 miles

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything!

:mitd: What gate?

Porthos
2010-07-06, 10:13 PM
Look at how big the city is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0717.html)

Now look at all of the long stretches of walls.

Now look at the lack of guards at every section of the wall.

Now imagine Wind Walking in at night.

Are you going to tell me that it is inconceivable that they could have sneaked in? :smallconfused:

factotum
2010-07-07, 01:43 AM
Are you going to tell me that it is inconceivable that they could have sneaked in? :smallconfused:

I think it's inconceivable that people as Lawful as Roy and Durkon would have sneaked in, especially if they knew they were likely to be arrested for having no papers if they did so! It's entirely conceivable they just Wind Walked to the city and never realised the need for papers, but in that case, they must have happened to cross a section of wall with no guards--no "sneaking" involved.

St Fan
2010-07-07, 02:20 AM
I think it's inconceivable that people as Lawful as Roy and Durkon would have sneaked in, especially if they knew they were likely to be arrested for having no papers if they did so! It's entirely conceivable they just Wind Walked to the city and never realised the need for papers, but in that case, they must have happened to cross a section of wall with no guards--no "sneaking" involved.

Of course they had no ideas they were needing papers. As PCs, it was proven time and time again that they pay absolutely no attention to NPCs until they bump into them. Roy's alignment is more "Lawful Oblivious", in fact.

As for Wind Walking in the city, it is doubtful it would have mattered if the section of wall they crossed was guarded or not; they were likely still high in altitude, and the wispy form is hard to spot anyway. So it can be said they "accidentally sneaked".

At least they've been prudent enough to not land straight in the Palace of Blood's boundaries.

sihnfahl
2010-07-07, 08:30 AM
At least they've been prudent enough to not land straight in the Palace of Blood's boundaries.
Well, they'd probably not find the bounty hunters they were looking for there.

Always check the Inns and Taverns.

:belkar: I'll check the taverns.

sol-decentguy
2010-07-07, 08:53 AM
well we are assuming he was quick getting there but with is 20ft movement speed, there was probably not enough space to show the full length of his dwarven sprint

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-07, 10:21 PM
In the latest strip, Roy says they Wind Walked directly into an alleyway.

He must lying though. If they'd done that, a guard would have DEFINITELY seen them. No question. No question at all. :smallamused:

Swordpriest
2010-07-07, 10:46 PM
I sometimes come and read these forums for no other reason than to remind myself of what humanity is incapable of. :smallbiggrin:

Sandman
2010-07-07, 11:12 PM
I sometimes come and read these forums for no other reason than to remind myself of what humanity is incapable of. :smallbiggrin:

Landing without being seen?:smallwink:

Shale
2010-07-08, 06:08 AM
Reading comprehension?

Trixie
2010-07-08, 07:10 AM
the Sacred Order of the Stick

What? :smallconfused:

Swordpriest
2010-07-08, 08:25 AM
Reading comprehension? Yup, afraid so. Although the post above yours was funnier. :smallwink:

FeanorFireHeart
2010-07-08, 12:44 PM
Look at how big the city is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0717.html)

Now look at all of the long stretches of walls.

Now look at the lack of guards at every section of the wall.

Now imagine Wind Walking in at night.

not to mention in that first panel that was just the citadel of the city, you can still see the outer wall and the interior of the city in the background.

ifly6
2010-07-14, 06:28 PM
They did Wind Walk in...

Look at: Comic #733 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html)
On the 1st Panel... ...:roy: says "How the hell were we supposed to know that we couldn't just Wind Walk into an alleyway?"

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-15, 12:13 PM
They did Wind Walk in...

Look at: Comic #733 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html)
On the 1st Panel... ...:roy: says "How the hell were we supposed to know that we couldn't just Wind Walk into an alleyway?"
Yes, I pointed that out a week ago when the comic came out. :smallsigh:

Witty Username
2010-07-20, 05:18 PM
In the latest strip, Roy says they Wind Walked directly into an alleyway.

He must lying though. If they'd done that, a guard would have DEFINITELY seen them. No question. No question at all. :smallamused:

There are guards in every alleyway? that would be difficult to manage and only one needs to be unguarded. Dumb luck being a factor.
For example (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html)

Edit:And Roy implied there weren't any guards because no one told them they needed papers.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-20, 11:17 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm