PDA

View Full Version : mounted charecter

awa
2010-06-30, 07:07 PM
So im making a mounted charecter so far ive got a ranger / wild plains outrider.

rides a dire bat and uses a bow. Ive got a magic bow and the helm of the hunter but I can't honestly think of what other items to get. Are their any magic items you can suggest ive got about 9000 gold left

Grumman
2010-06-30, 07:54 PM
If you can use Dragon magazine material, there's the Light Cavalry Scout variant which could be handy. Something like a Light Cavalry Scout 6 / Ranger 11 / Wild Plains Outrider 3 with Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish would work. It would let you add +7d6 to all your attacks.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-30, 07:57 PM
Well there's always bracers of archery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bracersofArcheryGreater).

Prime32
2010-06-30, 08:53 PM
Mount Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.0)

Consider some barding if you don't already have it.

awa
2010-06-30, 09:00 PM
this handbook looks like it will be helpful

cupkeyk
2010-06-30, 09:43 PM
consider a dire hawk instead of a dire bat. They're medium ergo fits in a dungeon. They're in races of the wild.

Eldariel
2010-06-30, 09:47 PM
Has DM agreed to give you fully powered Animal Companion? 'cause if not, forget about Ranger, take whatever for the first levels and take Beastmaster's animal companion. It's much better. Heck, you could take some Druid to start it all off. Point being, Ranger's companion is needlessly gimped and I suggest against it. It dies too easily. Dire Bat is a sound choice though.

deuxhero
2010-06-30, 09:56 PM
If you are using a bow, you could take Mystic Ranger (dragon something, give up melee marital weapons and animal companion for greatly improved casting)+Sword of Arcane Order feat, then take a feat that gives you a companion.

Another_Poet
2010-06-30, 10:04 PM
Oh man you are missing out.... go for a lance build!

Aerial lance chargers are the best. Triple damage with Spirited Charge, bonus to hit anything smaller than your mount, and with Rideby Attack (and Flyby Attack for your mount) you never actually have to be in melee range.

Mounted archers take a penalty to hit most of the time, even with feats, and suffer from all the normal problems of an archer build (e.g. low damage).

If you want to be a mounted ranged-combatant I would consider some duskblade levels and then use a pile of wands to rain death down on the enemy.

If the animal companion thing is a problem, just take the Wild Cohort feat.

You asked about suggestions on equipment. Enchanted barding for your mount! Some DMs make you spend one of your mount's feats on barding proficiency, others rightly feel this is silly as any combat-trained animal is trained to wear barding. Even if you have to spend the feat, do it. Mounts have notoriously low AC and often don't keep up with the party in terms of hp. Purchase Chain Shirt Barding (Mwk Chain shirt price x2 nonhumanoid x2 Large) and enchant it like normal armour.

Make sure you have an exotic military saddle for those bonuses to Ride.

I would think about a ring of feather fall so that you won't die when you are knocked off your mount at altitude.

As a ranger you can use wands. Get a wand of CLW to heal your mount (or yourself when out of range of the cleric). Believed me, many clerics will not "waste" their healing spells on mounts, or at least give priority to humanoid companions. So bring your own healing.

ap

Grumman
2010-06-30, 10:24 PM
consider a dire hawk instead of a dire bat. They're medium ergo fits in a dungeon. They're in races of the wild.
Er... no. Even if he is playing a Small character, the bat is more maneouverable in the air, faster on the ground, and only has a wingspan of 15 ft. compared to 11 ft. for the hawk. Not to mention that the bat is less likely to panic in the dark and smash face-first into something.

Akal Saris
2010-07-01, 12:01 AM
Yeah...just stepping back from size for a moment, as a DM I'd have no problems with somebody riding a bat in a dungeon, but a hawk is a little odd.

For gear you should pick up:
-Gloves of Dexterity
-Belt of Strength along with a higher strength mod bow
-Magic barding for the dire bat if you think its AC will get high enough that something will miss the mount
-Magic armor and buckler for yourself
-Cloak of Resistance

Runestar
2010-07-01, 12:40 AM
Go centaur and be your own mount. One problem is that mounts are notoriously fragile. :smalltongue:

awa
2010-07-01, 01:34 AM
the party already has a charge focused charecter.

The gloves of dex is a good idea wich i never think of.

Feather fall is also a good idea as ill probaly want to be attacking from long distance.

Im not shure about magic barding i was just thinking masterwork studded leather my thought procces was ill probally be relying on ride checks to help the mount avoid hits and with the fact that its a ranger mount it's never going to be that tough and ill probally just be replacing it every few sesions so buying expensive armor just seems a waste.

ceantaur dont fly or get the nifty mounted archery bonuses

Kantolin
2010-07-01, 01:56 AM
Remember that with mounted combat, you can use a ride check to be your mount's AC for a round (This can be much higehr than the mount's normal AC).

Also remember that you can use said ride check to cover your mount's /touch/ AC for a round (Or flat footed if your mount is flat-footed and you're not). It's extremely likely that this will help you defend your mount for that turn.

Halfling Outrider's a cool prestige class, in the Complete Warrior, that may fit your concept.

Stephen_E
2010-07-01, 02:50 AM
The other option if you don't want to go the Animal Companion route is to use the Leadership feat to get a Cohort Mount.

Aside from the standard cohort mounts you can. with GMs approval, go for the awakened animal cohort.
Thus an Awakened Dire Bat.