PDA

View Full Version : PF Monk + Form of the dragon question

BobVosh
2010-06-30, 11:51 PM
As a monk in Pathfinder, can I use Form of the Dragon III (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/formOfTheDragon.html#form-of-the-dragon-iii)'s natural attacks as secondaries? Basically full attack(flurry of blows) with my unarmed strike, then declare all the natural attacks of FOTDIII as my secondary natural attacks.

The raw thread didn't spit an answer out quickly, which tends to mean in my background with it that they don't really know for sure.

I'm just trying to figure out what the max possible damage I can get on a monk is with PF only.

Cog
2010-06-30, 11:59 PM
Yes, with a -5 to-hit on all the spell's granted natural attacks.

See 'Natural Attacks' here. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html)

BobVosh
2010-07-01, 12:05 AM
I thought so, but I wasn't quite sure they counted as natural attacks or not since the spell didn't say that.

Paul H
2010-07-01, 08:39 AM
Hi

Take it you've multi-classed to get access to the spell?

Can't see how you can gain all the natural attacks AND the flurry - you can't get extra attacks, including iterative attacks, with Natural Weapons. Take it you meant using flurry instead of you claw attacks?

Thanks
Paul H

The Glyphstone
2010-07-01, 08:45 AM
Nope, he's got it right. Unarmed Strike and Natural Weapons (in this case, Claws), are two separate weapons, so there's no iterative attacks involved.

You get your normal Unarmed Strike Flurry routine at -2/-2/etc. Then you get your Claw attacks at -7 (-5 for being a Secondary attack, -2 because the Flurry penalty applies to all attacks made that turn).

a_humble_lich
2010-07-01, 01:08 PM
Except it explicitly says that monks do not get natural attacks when using flurry of blows (under Flurry of Blows in the Monk class features).

A monk with natural weapons cannot use such weapons as part of a flurry of blows, nor can he make natural attacks in addition to his flurry of blows attacks.

I think that pretty clearly says you don't get the dragon's natural attacks.