PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Human Variant

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-01, 12:42 AM
I was thinking about this for a Psionics Only campaign.

1 in 10 humans would be born with these statistics.

Esper
-Bonus Feat at 1st level
-Naturally Psionic: 2 Power Points (or 1/character level?). Replaces bonus skill points.
-Favored Class: Psion

Iferus
2010-07-01, 04:41 AM
2 pp / day is fine, and I would give them a psi-like ability to use empathy or control flames 1/day.

EdroGrimshell
2010-07-01, 11:27 AM
2 pp / day is fine, and I would give them a psi-like ability to use empathy or control flames 1/day.

I think it would be to similar to having Hidden Talent as a bonus feat.

Prime32
2010-07-01, 12:28 PM
2 pp / day is fine, and I would give them a psi-like ability to use empathy or control flames 1/day.I see no reason for this. At all. Plus, you'd have to drop the bonus skill points, and by that point the race doesn't look human any more.

I think it would be to similar to having Hidden Talent as a bonus feat.So in other words... play a human and use your bonus feat to take Hidden Talent?

The empty vessels in Eberron are sort of like this, but they have LA +1 (even the book itself says "if you want a naturally psionic human, just play a kalashtar").

Orzel
2010-07-01, 01:53 PM
Okay to me. ''2'' bonus feats. Or you could just go hidden talent and spend points on autohypnosis

Jota
2010-07-01, 04:56 PM
I see no reason for this. At all. Plus, you'd have to drop the bonus skill points, and by that point the race doesn't look human any more.

Most psionic races have some sort of innate ability like this, so it's not like the idea is without precedent.

Dromites - Energy Ray
Duergar - Expansion, Invisibility
Elan - Resilience, Resistance, Repletion
Half-Giants - Stomp
Maenads - Energy Ray
Xephs - Burst

Personally I kind of like the idea, though I think you could remove the bonus feat and perhaps let the human choose the power (a first level power), though I'm not sure you wouldn't end up with everyone selecting the same one (I suspect this may be what Hidden Talent is, though it's not OGC so I can't be certain).

For Valor
2010-07-02, 12:23 AM
Well... if you want to make them as balance as a human, you might as well give them an extra 2pp/HD or something.

However, the idea behind the human is that they're flexible. To add psionics means to drop the extra skill/feat that humans get. Which kinda kills the whole "flexibility" thing.

Honestly, you should just give them Hidden talent, a weak version of at-will telepathy, and keep the skill bonus. That should do it.

Cieyrin
2010-07-02, 08:10 AM
A Psionic Human would be something akin to the Azurin (MoI), so I don't see how it makes them that unhuman to drop the skill points for psionics, though perhaps switching things up by setting Hidden Talent as their bonus feat and giving them their bonus skill points would work best.

paddyfool
2010-07-02, 09:22 AM
The Elan is basically a psionic human (well, post-human, anyway) in the usual fluff. So with the choices of them, or Kalashtar, or simply spending your bonus feat on Hidden Talent... I think this is pretty much covered.

lightningcat
2010-07-02, 08:41 PM
In the back of Complete Psionics, there are several psionic human houses, they replace the normal bonus feat with a specialized version of hidden talent. They might also have some other ability, but they are not so far off as to need a LA.