PDA

View Full Version : AC thoughts

cZak
2010-07-01, 01:05 AM
I've seen discussions on armor as DR being less than a great adaption. Two-weapon fighting lags Two-handed fighting.

But I was considering more...
How about adding the Defense bonus in Unearthed Arcanna to the DR system?

Snake-Aes
2010-07-01, 05:05 AM
I've seen discussions on armor as DR being less than a great adaption. Two-weapon fighting lags Two-handed fighting.

How about adding the Defense bonus in Unearthed Arcanna to the DR system?That's a common way players have to use armor as DR without dropping their ac to the abyss.

Orzel
2010-07-01, 05:09 AM

How about adding the Defense bonus in Unearthed Arcanna to the DR system?

Seen it done. Works alright mostly. TWFers will still use glowing sticks and cry though.

Nero24200
2010-07-01, 05:30 AM
I personally think both variants were intended to be used together. Aside from dropping TWF down a little it's quite good. Iron Heroes even uses such a system by default, with classes having a "Defense Bonus".

Aroka
2010-07-01, 07:08 AM
I personally think both variants were intended to be used together. Aside from dropping TWF down a little it's quite good. Iron Heroes even uses such a system by default, with classes having a "Defense Bonus".

Similar deal in Conan d20. Highly recommend it for anyone; the combat system is very, very similar, but with a few great key differences. Armor is DR, weapons and high Str can combine to ignore DR, and there's ways for Dex-based combatant to get around armor DR. (Of course, the defense bonuses are scaled for a game without any kind of magic items, so they might be high for 3.5.)