PDA

View Full Version : M4 rpg- PBP version PEACH

Orzel
2010-07-01, 04:54 AM
As a bit of a challenge I've decided to converted my M4 rpg system (located in my sig) into a form that is more Play by Post friendly. And maybe play it here some day.

The main goals would be:
1) Make the game simple enough to gather players of different level of rpg knowledge but have enough variations and options to be interesting.
2) Create a conflict system that can be automated to have missing player's character's act and keeping the game from stalling without penalizing players or snatching control of characters.
3) Create a system that little back and forth response between the GM and the player to limit stalling.

So my thought was to create a resource based game. By using resources rather than dice, players can plan out actions ahead of time and combats/conflicts can be resolve quickly.

Using M4 as a base, here's main changes I have so far:

1) There are still 4 Disciplines: Martial, Magic, Mind, and Might. The sum of a character's Disciplines is its tier.There are no skills. The difference between an archer and a swordsman, a speedster and a brute, a psychic or conjurer; is based of extras not ranks.

2) A character has Life equal to (1+Martial+Might)*5. When a person Life reaches 0, they die.

3) A character has Spirit equal to (1+Magic+Mind)*5. When a person Spirit reaches 0, they die.

4) In places of skills are extra, which you get 2 of per character tier. Extras come in form of equipment, proficiencies, attacks, items, and cohorts. Some Extras have prerequisites and other might be based on a Discipline. Modifiers from extra are not counted to prerequisites.

5) Equipment are objects like armor or weapons. They typically don't break and never run out. Equipment typically function as bonuses or penalties to a character's Disciplines.

Melee Weapon (dagger, sword, axe, mace, spear): +1 Martial on Offense
Ranged weapon (crossbow, bow, throwing blade): +1 Martial on Offense
Light armor: +1 Martial on Defense
Heavy Armor : +2 Martial on Defense, -2 Initiative
Shield : +1 Martial on Defense

6) Proficiencies are the knowledge to use equipment and attacks efficiently. They typically reduce Life and Spirit costs. These are favorites of warriors.

Dagger proficiency- Reduces cost of Skilled Melee accuracy cost by 1 Spirit
Sword proficiency- Reduces cost of Skilled Melee accuracy cost by 1 Life
Axe proficiency- Reduces cost of Basic Melee accuracy cost by 1 Spirit
Mace proficiency- Reduces cost of Basic Melee accuracy cost by 1 Life
Spear proficiency- Reduces cost of Skilled Melee accuracy cost by 1 Spirit
Crossbow proficiency- Reduces cost of Basic Ranged accuracy cost by 1 Spirit
Bow proficiency- Reduces cost of Skilled Range accuracy cost by 1 Life
Throwing blade proficiency- Reduces cost of Skilled Range accuracy cost by 1 Spirit

7) Attacks are the actions used in the attack rounds of combat and deal damage to Life. All characters have the Basic Melee, and Basic Ranged and Bluff attacks. Spell attack cost 2 spirit per use.

Basic Melee- Might vs Martial
Basic Ranged- Might vs Might
Skilled Melee- Martial vs Martial
Skilled Ranged- Martial vs Might
Bluff- Mind vs Martial
Magic blast (spell)- Magic vs Might
Psychic blast (spell)- Magic vs Mind
Shape shift (spell)- Magic vs Martial

8) Items are like equipment but can only be used once per conflict/combat and last one round. Characters may have multiple copies of any item. These are favorites of spellcasters. It's assumed that items are repaired, recharged, or gathered again on spare time.

Poison- Your non-spell attacks deal additional damage equal to twice your Mind
Healing Herbs- Heal Life and Spirit equal to your Mind
Shield ring- Magic replaces other disciplines for Defense
Magic wand- Your spells may target an additional target
Magic scroll- Your spells has no spell cost.
Magic rod- Your spells' accuracy cost is reduced by 1 Spirit

9) Cohorts are additional characters a player may control. They have their own discipline, tiers, and may have extras

Bodyguard: Has Martial and Mind equal to your half you Mind. Has Axe, Heavy armor, and Axe prof.
Scout: Has Martial and Mind equal to your half your Mind. Has Dagger and Poisons equal to it's Mind.
Animal: Has Might equal to your Mind. No extras.
Henchmen: Has Might equal to your half your highest Discipline. May have multiples.
Familiar: Has Might and Magic equal to your half you Magic. Has Shield rings equal to it's Magic.
Summoned creature: Has Might equal to your Magic. No extras.
Student: Has Discipline equal to half of yours. Has the same equipment and items as you.

10) There is no accuracy roll. In order to hit, a character must pay 3 Life or Spirit for each tier their Offense is lower than the target's Defense.

11) There's also no damage roll. Damage is typically just 3 times the Offensive Discipline.

12) There are still 3 phases of combat. Initiative, Support, and Attack.

13) Initiative is simply 1d6 plus Might plus any bonuses or penalties. Higher Might breaks ties. Highest Initiative goes last during the support phase and first during the attack phase..

14) During the support phase; characters either reroll everyone's Initiative, set an item for use, protect a character from attack, or heal Life or Spirit equal to their tier.

15) Missing players heal their lowest resource during the support phase and use their strongest attack during the attack phase.

Comments? Ideas?
Anyone interested in playtest?

Orzel
2010-07-01, 05:28 PM
The way I wanted to handle skill checks is to have skill as miscellaneous proficiencies. Like Stealth would lower the cost to raise your Might for scouting by 1.

But I don't know if I should make target values hidden or open (like combat).

For example, there are 3 tier characters in a party and they wish to send one of them to scout ahead for enemies. Stealth checks are the user's Might (for dexterity) vs the targets' Highest Mind (for perception). The party leader has a Might of 0, the second has Might 3, and the last has Might 1 with Stealth Proficiency. Ahead of them are two giants with 2 Mind.

For the first character to succeed, he must pay 6 Life or Spirit to raise his Might to 2. The Second character doesn't need to pay any resources if she is sent. The third would have to pay 2 for raise his Might due to Stealth Proficiency's discount.

Now should I make the target Mind known like in combat? Or keep it hidden and have the players pay as much as they think is enough?