PDA

View Full Version : [DnD3.5] Class vs Cross-class skills when multi-classing

Iceforge
2010-07-01, 07:49 AM
Alright, just saw another topic which sort of indicated I was wrong about something. And this question was unrelated to the actual topic, so making a new one.

Question is simply: If you have a skill, which is class skill for some of your class levels and cross class for others, what is the max rank of the skill?

The posts I saw indicated you could get max rank, so thats total character level + 3

My previous assumption was that your max rank in the skill would be [Total character levels which has it as class skill]+[Half of total levels which has it as cross-class skill]+3

I assume you still have to spend 2 skill points from levels which has it as cross class for each 1 rank you want, right?

Simba
2010-07-01, 07:51 AM
My previous assumption was that your max rank in the skill would be [Total character levels which has it as class skill]+[Half of total levels which has it as cross-class skill]+3

I assume you still have to spend 2 skill points from levels which has it as cross class for each 1 rank you want, right?

That's the way I handle it. It is not something your character specializes in anymore, (s)he has shifted the focus to new skills and abilities after all.

Prime32
2010-07-01, 07:52 AM
Max rank is character level +3, but you can't raise it over (lv+3/2) while levelling up in a class where it's a cross-class skill.

balistafreak
2010-07-01, 07:59 AM
If at any point in your career a skill was a "class skill", it is capped at level + 3 ranks.

When buying new skills, a class skill takes 1 point to buy 1 rank, while a cross-class skill takes 2 points to buy 1 rank.

If I was at any time a Rogue, my skill cap for, say, Disable Device, will always be level + 3. When I want to buy more ranks in it when I take a level of Fighter, I have to pay 2 points per rank, but the cap remains the same.

If I tried to buy cross-class ranks in UMD as a Fighter, where I've always been a fighter, the skill is capped at (level + 3) / 2 and takes 2 points per rank.

Eldariel
2010-07-01, 08:10 AM
Max rank is character level +3, but you can't raise it over (lv+3/2) while levelling up in a class where it's a cross-class skill.

What? You can raise it just fine.

Skill Summary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm)

If you buy a class skill, your character gets 1 rank (equal to a +1 bonus on checks with that skill) for each skill point. If you buy other classes’ skills (cross-class skills), you get ½ rank per skill point.
Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.
Your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is one-half of this number (do not round up or down).
Each skill point you spend on a class skill gets you 1 rank in that skill. Class skills are the skills found on your character’s class skill list. Each skill point you spend on a cross-class skill gets your character ½ rank in that skill. Cross-class skills are skills not found on your character’s class skill list. (Half ranks do not improve your skill check, but two ½ ranks make 1 rank.) You can’t save skill points to spend later.
The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).
Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

In short:
Maximum rank in a skill is always level + 3 if it's a class skill for any of your classes regardless of when you buy the ranks.

Ranks bought while a skill is a class skill are bought on a 1-points-for-1-rank basis; otherwise they're bought at 2-points-for-1-rank basis.

If a skill is cross-class for all your classes, the maximum rank in the skill is (Level+3)/2.

Iceforge
2010-07-01, 08:20 AM
What? You can raise it just fine.

Skill Summary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm)

If you buy a class skill, your character gets 1 rank (equal to a +1 bonus on checks with that skill) for each skill point. If you buy other classes’ skills (cross-class skills), you get ½ rank per skill point.
Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.
Your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is one-half of this number (do not round up or down).
Each skill point you spend on a class skill gets you 1 rank in that skill. Class skills are the skills found on your character’s class skill list. Each skill point you spend on a cross-class skill gets your character ½ rank in that skill. Cross-class skills are skills not found on your character’s class skill list. (Half ranks do not improve your skill check, but two ½ ranks make 1 rank.) You can’t save skill points to spend later.
The maximum rank in a class skill is the character’s level + 3. If it’s a cross-class skill, the maximum rank is half of that number (do not round up or down).
Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

In short:
Maximum rank in a skill is always level + 3 if it's a class skill for any of your classes regardless of when you buy the ranks.

Ranks bought while a skill is a class skill are bought on a 1-points-for-1-rank basis; otherwise they're bought at 2-points-for-1-rank basis.

If a skill is cross-class for all your classes, the maximum rank in the skill is (Level+3)/2.

Nice! and thanks! love when I get a source on the answer I get :)

Optimystik
2010-07-01, 08:27 AM
This is the source for the CharOp maxim "once a class skill, always a class skill" (as it relates to the skill cap.)

It just means that if you multiclass, on some levels you have to pay 2 skill points rather than 1, unless the skill in question is a class skill for all your classes.

Darkfire
2010-07-01, 08:35 AM
It just means that if you multiclass, on some levels you have to pay 2 skill points rather than 1, unless the skill in question is a class skill for all your classes.
Or you have the feat Able Learner.

Morph Bark
2010-07-01, 09:50 AM
This is the source for the CharOp maxim "once a class skill, always a class skill" (as it relates to the skill cap.)

This is the way I do it, otherwise it just gets way too tedious. It might not be strictly correct under RAW though.

Put some emphasis in the quote so it won't be misunderstood.

Optimystik
2010-07-01, 09:53 AM
This is the way I do it, otherwise it just gets way too tedious. It might not be strictly correct under RAW though.

Put some emphasis in the quote so it won't be misunderstood.

You mean that once it's a class skill, they can always spend 1 point per level on it throughout their career, right? I'm fine with this approach myself, or better yet of "saving skill points" (a la NWN) until those levels where you do take levels in a class with the skill in order to dump them all in at the reduced rate.

Kylarra
2010-07-01, 12:14 PM
I loved saving my skill points.

Optimystik
2010-07-01, 12:30 PM
I loved saving my skill points.

Same here - it always reminded me of Diablo 2 pre-synergies, where you would spend half the game with, say, one point in firebolt or create skeleton as a prerequisite until you could finally get to the good stuff and max it out.

In NWN, it was the only way to survive in most of the PWs I played in. You needed those 5 ranks in Tumble for the +1 AC; often it was the difference between life and a very ratty death. So my Clerics would always go for the Monk dip at 2.