PDA

View Full Version : Council of Leaders Adventure Thread

dresdor
2010-07-01, 09:49 AM
You were going about your own business when out of nowhere you felt the world around you tear asunder. A compulsion filled your mind and what seemed like an iron grip grabbed you and thrust you through the fabric of space and time. Your body tumbled through the nether vapors of the space between the planes, and suddenly you felt a sharp pain. You landed hard on a solid marble floor, in a pile with several strangers around you.

The marble floor is part of a large marble and gold inlaid room. Armed men in armor covered by white and gold tabards seem startled by your appearance. The reach for their weapons and yell for you to explain yourself. An alarm is sounded, all before you can pick yourselves up off the ground.

OOC: Just a little fun to begin, you have no real knowledge of what happened. The ghost lady's possessed body and Mr. Gold Dragon's mount are the only cohorts that have been transported with you. I'll figure out how long and when the others get here. Let me know in OOC if you want your followers to try and reach you or if you are going to want to pick up new ones in this country instead.

Obrysii
2010-07-01, 10:41 AM
Ordinarily, a young boy around the age of thirteen appearing out of nowhere riding a large black horse with a fiery mane and hooves would invoke the most dire of responses.

Ordinarily, this is the sort of thing that just doesn't happen. The chances, the odds, are so far remote as to be inconsequential - and yet, such blindingly bad odds are the ones that tended to happen the most. Whoever placed a five gold bet on this happening ought to collect, because he bet against another who had alarmingly better chances.

"Jamis?" the boy asked, leaning forward to ask the horse, "Where do you suppose we are?"

"M'not sure," the horse replied, quite verbally, in the Common tongue, "But I will ready us to go ethereal should the need arise."

The boy looked up to the guards, "Um. Where am I, and what am I doing here? We were on a quest - and somehow the world just sort of ... shifted."

[Diplomacy check 1d20+19=32 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2587308/).]

Turalisj
2010-07-01, 11:33 AM
Fir'vae looked around, a bit dazed. He gripped his spear, using it to steady himself as he looked around. By the great lord... where did I land? And where is that brat of a dragon go. He looked around, sighing. And then he spotted the nightmare. Foul creature, begone. Smoke billowed from his nostrils.

Obrysii
2010-07-01, 12:09 PM
Athryn jumped down from the saddled back of the Nightmare, placing himself between the equine and the man calling for it to leave. "Jamis here is more than welcome to stay by my side - by the paladin code he is an ally to us more than any other might be."

Jallorn
2010-07-01, 12:14 PM
Hiana stood, stretching as he did. With a groan, he says, That was probably the roughest teleport I've experienced in about... oh seventy years? No, seventy two, there was that thing with the medusa witch, when she tried to grab me just as I was on my way elsewhere. That one was nice timing though, but I've got to hurry back, that demon could destroy the world. He takes a look around, Where is this?

Turalisj
2010-07-01, 12:28 PM
And who is this? A child barely older than my youngest son. Fir'vae said, growling a bit. By the platinum lord, what have I been pulled into. He growled out in draconic.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-01, 01:02 PM
Laurel and Sara

An ordinary-looking dark-haired woman in her early 30s drops unceremoniously to the ground out of thin air. Shaking the cobwebs out of her head, she slowly stands up and smoothes out the folds of her clothes--a plain white blouse, indigo vest and long-hemmed skirt a slightly lighter shade of purple--but she pays no attention to the guards. Instead her expression softens a bit for a moment as she seems to look inwardly.

I know it hurts, that planar crossing hurt me too, but you must stop with the screaming inside of our head my love, it is making it difficult to concentrate. Just let go of yourself and I promise I will take care of this," she thought to herself, or rather to the woman whose body she inhabited, which was followed by a whimpering mental reply of "Th-thank you, Domina, I-I will do as you ask."

The woman then shuts her eyes and tenses up as if focusing intently on something far away, then after a brief moment reopens them and turns an angry gaze upon the room's inhabitants.

"I feel no connection to my Domain. I cannot draw upon its power nor even hear it calling to me. I am diminished, and yet I still feel spiritual energy coursing through me. How is this possible? Is this what it's like outside of Creation? Speak! Or rather bring your leader, your king or general or whatever such a being is called here. Someone here must know what the Hell just happened... to more than just myself, apparently. She looks over to the others who ported into the room and addresses them.

"Greetings, I am Domina Laurel Kendrick, Sorrow's Regal. Who might you other victims be?"

Gorgondantess
2010-07-01, 02:19 PM
Bleys gets up, looking around him with a growing grin on his face. He stands average height, with fine silk clothing, a shoulder length fiery hair, and piercing red eyes, and really, he's not all that attractive... but something about his poise, the way he carries himself, his vivacity, is truly indomitable.
As his grin is about to split his face, he leaps into the air, cheering and running around the room. He grabs the closest female (probably Laurel) and kisses her on the cheek, then leaps back for some more running.
"I feel better! God, that was a close one! Oh, thank you Sade, lady of darkness, for your kindly aid. May your music never die." He bows to nothing, then finally notices the others, positively shaking with excitement. "Well, now, what are we all doing here? Shabby place, if I do say so myself, but anything's better than pillars of fire."

Turalisj
2010-07-01, 02:21 PM
Someone want to get this man to a shaman, see if he is possesed? Fir'vae snorted, watching the man with disdain.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-01, 02:58 PM
Too mortified to react properly and slap the wild man, Laurel stood there rigidly until hearing the gruff man quip about him being "possessed." Though stern, even she could not supress a little smile at the irony of the remark.

"No, I know something of possession and I don't believe this is it. I think he might simply be a lunatic," she finally replied in a soft, oddly distant voice. "Well if this is indeed Hell, now I understand why Lucifer is such a silly sod. I suppose I would be, too, given such company."

Talore
2010-07-01, 04:56 PM
"What in the blazes!?!" shouts Rilusia, falling to the ground from a riding position. "Kelhwar, where are we?" she asks, looking around.

Kelhwar calmly observes the situation, looking at the other adventurers. "It seems we've been teleported... for a quest? What does Wee Jas have in store for us?"

Obrysii
2010-07-01, 05:11 PM
Athryn twitched. He knew something of the deity 'Wee Jas' as a bearer of the dead; in his teachings he had not learned to praise that one, preferring the traditional deities of dragons.

"So. I think someone has some explaining to do," he said - his youthful look being betrayed by his intense charisma.

Turalisj
2010-07-01, 05:11 PM
Fir'vain's eyes narrowed into slits at the sound of the name. And what, pray tell, do you have to do wish the Scarlet Mistress?

Talore
2010-07-01, 05:19 PM
"I am Rilusia, Jasidin Vanguard, a servant of the Ruby Sorceress. My charge is to maintain the rule of law in the lands, to protect her followers, and to destroy those who would rip asunder civilization." She recites with an articulate manner. "Do you have a problem with the rule of law" she asks, with a hint of challenge in her voice.

Kelhwar looks around, to see if anyone else reacts poorly to their patron.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-01, 05:30 PM
Bleys laughs. "Whatever this place is, I can assure you, it is most certainly not hell. And you'd be happy too, if you were under my circumstances."
He then claps his hands, and turns to one of the guards. "You! This is cause for celebration- I want music, wine, women- a feast! Make it quick!"

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-01, 06:49 PM
Laurel shakes her head and mutters something to the effect of "Sartre was right" before replying. "Right, I'll take your word for it. But before you have your feasting and debauching I insist that these... people either tell us what this is all about or find someone who can."

She doesn't react at all to the names Wee Jas or Ruby Sorceress, but she does give an approving nod to Rilusia.

dresdor
2010-07-01, 07:30 PM
A very elderly man walks into the room, leaning heavily on a staff. "Guards, lower your weapons, these strangers have been invited here...by some stretch of that word." The guards lower their weapons. "I am sorry, but I was not expecting you until tomorrow. The scrolls did not specify the period the summons would take, merely that it might occur should events unfold as they have." He motions to the guards and several leave, returning moments later with chairs. Others bring bottles of wine and cups.

"Please, sit, I'm sure what has happened to you is beyond any magic you have experienced, and such a powerful combination of spells will certainly have effected you, if not them then certainly the fall, I could hear the racket from my study. I hurried along as fast as I could, but I am nearing the winter of my life, and my limbs are not as spry as they once were."

"But I am forgetting myself. I am Alair, High Magus of the Court of Dranala. I'm afraid I don't know any of your names." He seems completely unphased by the events that have unfolded, and especially not by the nightmare that is standing in the middle of the room.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-01, 08:17 PM
Bleys 'hmphs' as the old man talks, but grabs a wine bottle and a cup, drinking with relish. Once you've come so close to the end, you learn to appreciate these things.
Finished, he pours himself another glass and leans back in his chair, quite content. "Well, that's one out of three, I suppose it should do. My name is Bleys, and I am the greatest musician who ever lived."
He doesn't even get up to bow flamboyantly or anything, even though that would be fitting with his personality thus far- he just says it bluntly, and quite matter of fact. He's just the greatest musician who ever lived.

Turalisj
2010-07-01, 08:37 PM
Fir'vain, leader of the Iron Fang tribe, head of the Council of Five Tribes, wielder of the ancient flames of the dragons. Fir'vain turns to the bard. Hmph, I know of a god that would debate that.

Gorgondantess
2010-07-01, 08:43 PM
Bleys leans forward, as the topic of conversation has perked his interest. "Well, yes, the gods are debating that. At the moment, it's about 50/50, leaning a bit towards the fact that I am indeed the greatest musician who ever lived, but the other side has more of the greater gods, so really by this point it's reached a standstill... though I do understand that there's currently a war raging in Ysgard over it."

Obrysii
2010-07-01, 09:36 PM
"Fall?" Athryn said, and Jamis whispered to him - "It's when you forget to fly."

"Ooh," said the boy, looking as the others introduced themselves. He eyed Fir'vain. "The ancient flames of dragons, huh?" A subtle smile played on his face. Now, he felt, was not time to reveal his true nature. Let them think himself a young boy.

He shifted, and bowed to the elderly man. "Athryn, an up-and-coming leader of a temple of Paladins, and this is my companion. A redeemed Nightmare, Jamis."

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-01, 10:27 PM
Laurel regards the High Magus somewhat skeptically, but reintroduces herself nevertheless. "Domina Laurel Kendrick, Sorrow's-Regal and Inquisitor for the Archangel Ramiel, but I'm beginning to suspect none of that holds any meaning here....

So be it. I am, or was rather, what you might call a proxy for a divine being, given a small piece of his authority over a specific aspect of reality. In my case, Loss, along with its mutual acquaintances, Sorrow and Suffering. But that piece I feel is gone from me now; I don't suppose even this magic that brought us here, for a purpose I know not what, could take a god's power with it." She grows quiet after that, sits down and sips at a glass of wine.

Talore
2010-07-01, 10:40 PM
Rilusia bows to the man, and replies, "I am Rilusia, Jasidin Vanguard, a servant of the Ruby Sorceress. My companion is Kelhwar, another Jasidin follower."

Turalisj
2010-07-02, 02:28 AM
So we have a priest, a child paladin, an eogtistical musician, a direct channeler of divine powers, a tribal chief, and an elf...something, Fir'vain slumped onto the nearest chair, grabbing the nearest bottle of wine he could find and opening it. After taking a long drink, he looked at the bottle, Ugh, couldn't make anything better? Oh well.... With all the divine servants here, I realy hope you aren't looking to have us quest to become your new gods or something. Because I've just gotten over becoming a hero, I'm not looking for deification. Not yet atleast.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-03, 12:04 AM
Laurel looks up from her wine glass long enough to glance over at the tribal chief. "Ser, this may come as a surprise to you, but neither am I. Convincing people to worship someone is easy enough, but actually being a bona fide deity is something else entirely. While I may have 'directly channeled divine powers' I've also been near enough to the divinities of my own world to learn that it's not a position I would ever desire to hold."

Obrysii
2010-07-03, 07:29 AM
"I am servant of deities, though," he said with a faint glint of egotism in his eye, "I would not stop them from giving me a deitific position."

dresdor
2010-07-03, 09:45 AM
"Deification? My goodness no, nothing nearly that complex or difficult. You have all been summoned here by a spell put into place many years ago, long before I was even born. Should the house of the King fail, and no successor be found within a week, the Power would call forth leaders and champions, the wise and the powerful of the world, to rule together until a new King can be found. This is the task you are now bound to, and all the power of the throne will be infused to you."

Obrysii
2010-07-03, 12:17 PM
Athryn raised his eyebrows. That was some pretty potent magic - he would have liked to have met such a being capable of setting that up.

Still, he felt intrigued. "Go on - what powers will we be 'infused' with? What power does the throne carry in this land?"

dresdor
2010-07-03, 02:47 PM
"I do not mean powers arcane nor divine, you will not gain anything of the like, merely the authority of the throne to command so that others in this land will obey. You will be an authority in this land until a member of the fallen house can be found and raised to the high seat."

Turalisj
2010-07-03, 03:14 PM
When you say raised, do you imply necromancy at work? Fir'vain asked, raising an eyebrow. Hmm... regardless of that, I suppose as the newly appointed stewards of the kingdom, we should meet with the advisors of the previous king.

Talore
2010-07-04, 12:05 PM
"Indeed," Rilusia picks up, deigning not to sit or drink. "What is the general state of the land at this present time?" she asks.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-05, 07:40 PM
Laurel weighs the high mage's words for a long moment before speaking again. "I can't help but see this a demotion, but if your artifact's magic was strong enough to rip me away from my Heavenly lord, I suppose I have little choice but to accept whatever duties you have for me. So, yes, if I may repeat the lady Rilusia's question, what is the state of your kingdom exactly? We are coming into this blind after all, and I for one am not too proud to ask for a primer course."

Obrysii
2010-07-05, 07:57 PM
Jamis would shift without much comfort - he was old, wise, and he wondered at the thought of giving his leader so much power.

Athryn was already ahead of him. "How will power be separated? Shall it be by skill or split evenly? Is there a law on the book to determine how the new king will be found?"

Gorgondantess
2010-07-06, 01:06 AM
Bleys looks pensive for a moment. Finally, he's been shut up.

But then he bursts out laughing, slapping his knee, about to fall off of his chair.
"Oh, goodness gracious me. What a serendipitous summoning. I, a leader of a country? Well, sure, perhaps with these other plebeians, but really, really..."

dresdor
2010-07-06, 11:12 AM
"By raised I simply mean an heir is to be found and crowned king or queen, not any necromancy or such magics. As per power and the like, I do have some answers. Those that are summoned are to form a council. Though I leave your own governance to you. Each of you will have at your disposal men and resources due to a noble, though alone none will follow you as an absolute power. The will of the council is what is in place of a King, not the will of one of you."

"Our nation is at relative peace. Our military is a volunteer force primarily of guardsmen from the towns and villages around, with small forces fortified near the main roads and, of course, guards here in the capital. We produce iron and steel, including some of the best metalwork around, and we make enough food for our own needs. We have been at peace for many years, and the sudden death of both the king and queen is a tragedy...especially so soon after their son had an accident at the jousting tournament. Are there any questions I can answer?"

Obrysii
2010-07-06, 06:22 PM
"You are self-sufficient and produce exports," Athryn said. "So the kingdom is stable, economically if not politically?"

He shifted. The land was at peace, for now - many surrounding lands would be jealous of a self-sustaining and exporting realm; the problem could lie to the external that this land may need defense against.

Or it could lie inside. "Why would the people of this land obey us?"

Turalisj
2010-07-06, 08:41 PM
Besides the fact that powerful magics used long ago by a mage likely equal in power to any great being that exists in our own world? Tradition is a powerfull thing my friend, you would be suprised how far a nation will go just to stand by said tradition.

Or it could be that we aren't exactly weak. We have a paladin who was about to become the head of his order, not something that anyone can just walk up and ask to do. We have the conduit for a powerfull angel, former conduit. We have, as put, the greatest musician of all time. That is some strong boasting there. I doubt he would be alive if he didn't have the fighting talent to keep his own neck afloat. And we have myself... Well, I'm not ready to tell my abilities just yet.

There's very little to give the populace a reason not to accept the ruling of a council of ourselves. Again, this is pure speculation. We could be among a population riddled with agents of devils and worshippers of the shadows. I am not a paladin, and it is my nature to assume the better of one, lest actions change that.

dresdor
2010-07-06, 10:07 PM
"The magic put into place long ago that summoned you will provide reason enough for the people to trust you, and in truth a handful of beings deciding the will of the government will be no different to them than their king doing so. He was not loved or worshipped as they do in some countries, but respected. He kept the peace and we prospered. Not as much as in times of tale and legend, but enough for those not too greedy."

"That and you simply being in this palace is enough to inspire belief that you should be in command. I would not be a fool conjurer to announce to the people that they are to be ruled by a bunch of halfwits. No, you have been chosen in part for your power, for it already seems many of you wish to return to your previous lives, which once your task is fulfilled you will be. Would we promote a faction from within to rule, they would play favorites and ensure that whomever sat on the throne felt their power long after their service ended. When this is done you will all perhaps happily return to your previous lives."

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-06, 10:37 PM
Laurel had been mulling over the high mage's description of the state of things but something Fir'vain said caught her attention.

"My powers, such as they are, are better suited to what one might call 'coercive persuasion' than brute force, and I can only speak for myself but in my experience if you have to fight, you've already lost something. If there are threats to our legitimacy--and after hearing what our host has said I've no doubt there are--I will gladly do all in my power to expose them and cause them to cease being a threat."

She then turns to the mage. "Right, that all sounds reasonable, but I've two questions for you. You mentioned the king and queen died suddenly, and shortly after their only heir died in an accident, which I must say sounds rather suspicious: how did they die exactly?

As for my second question... are you positively certain about that one?" She says that last part with a nod of her head toward Bleys, as if to say 'Plebian?! I think not!'

Talore
2010-07-08, 01:20 PM
Rilusia contemplates her situation with Kelhwar, off to the side. "I have important duties in our homeland, we should be leaving," she says.

"But," Kelhwar responds, "the scale of this spell is unquestionable. Surely Wee Jas herself had a hand in this!"

"We have no proof of that, my friend," she replies, looking around the room.

"Regardless, young one, look at the state of affairs! This whole country will fall to chaos without guidance," he goes on. "If order fails so astoundingly here, the repurcussions will be dire. Anarchy and revolution would spread like wildfire, destroying the livelyhoods of all involved." He gestures above, "As the Jasidin vanguard and champion of law, this situation takes priority."

"Well," Rilusia looks around, at the buffoon in particular, "you're right. And it would seem the Ruby Sorceress brought me for a reason. I'll fulfill this duty for her."

Rilusia turns to the mage, speaking clearly. "I would ask to see the ranking military commander of this city. My greatest skills are on the battlefield, it is there; in defence or conquest, that I will be of most aid."

Gorgondantess
2010-07-08, 03:10 PM
Bleys' grin just gets wider and wider. This was going to undoubtedly be a blast.
He shrugs at Laurel's comment.
"Well, the spell was very, very powerful. If you have access to such far-reaching magics, surely it wouldn't be so hard to make precise as well? Only a godly being could alter its course."
He smirks.
"Tell me, good sir, what is the state of the arts in your lovely state? Do you house any great composers?"

Obrysii
2010-07-08, 09:34 PM
Athryn presently had few more questions - he was clearly the least experienced of the leaders here. He felt almost a little overwhelmed - he hoped to find a good place to rest so he could parse through his numerous ancestral memories for some wisdom as to the situation.

"I think, for now, we should rest and let things settle. If I am to be a ruler, I will require a study with a suitable library, and Jamis here needs a comfortable place to rest - one that is fireproof, preferably."

dresdor
2010-07-12, 03:58 PM
"The King was found dead in his bed. He was an older man, not siring an heir until late in life, so that is not to be unexpected. The Queen," he coughed, "She was much aggrieved with the loss of her husband and only son. She asked me for an infusion of belladonna, strong enough to kill her outright. When I refused she flung herself from the battlements in full sight of a half dozen guards, myself, and several of her trusted advisors. It was unfortunate." His voice seems passive, as if the Queen's death meant little to him.

"Once you are all refreshed, I will summon Captain-General Crageen and the other advisors." He nods to Jamis. "I will see to your companion's lodging, we have a suitable warded stable for him. After you have had a chance to eat and drink, I will show you to our royal library."

"As to the state of our arts, I am not an expert, I will see to it that a handful of the bards and musicians in the area are brought to you. You may get better answers from them than you could from me. Are there any other questions I can answer, or shall I summon the advisers?"

Turalisj
2010-07-12, 05:02 PM
Yes... Are there any dragons nearby? Fir'vain asked, although it seemed his thoughts were elsewhere.

ooc:

[roll0] Sense Motive on the High Magus to see if he's hiding any emotions on the death of the royal family.

Obrysii
2010-07-12, 06:19 PM
Athryn stiffened. Why did the man want to know if there were dragons nearby?

"I doubt highly that any would come to this place," he said - his bluff coming off nearly perfectly.

[Whoo-hoo; Bluff check 1d20+7=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2603208/) to hide his knowledge.]

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-12, 06:53 PM
Laurel analyzes the magus carefully, trying to adjudge whether he might be lying about the death of the royal family.

Sense Motive check, expending Psionic Focus to gain the benefit of the Inquisitor feat if he is bluffing: [roll0]

Whether she thinks he's telling the truth or not, she will say, "I see. Well then, I should like to speak with whomever investigated the death of the prince, presuming there was an inquiry. Apart from that, I'm ready to meet with the advisors whenever everyone else is."

dresdor
2010-07-12, 06:53 PM
"Dragons? None that I know of. There are always rumors of both kinds, but not near the civilized parts of the country. If you're looking for them, you might try the mountainous ranges, at least for those kinds that live thereabouts. You won't find a blue or black within the borders of this land I'm afraid, not that you should want to find the foul beasts. Leave nothing but ruin and destruction around..." his voice trails off.

Fir'vain sizes up the mage, and finds that he believes the mage's indifference to the death of the queen. There's something underneath though, almost as if the mage expected the queen's death. Nothing that screams guilt, though.

Laurel feels that the man is apathetic, or perhaps just doesn't feel like it was his job to investigate. Either he expected the deaths to happen, or is willing to accept that they did. In either case he doesn't seem to have any guilt about it.

"The Prince's death was an unfortunate accident. These things happen in the tournament, but nothing out of the ordinary about a shard of a broken land piercing his helmet and eye than very bad luck. The only unfortunate part about it was that the cleric on duty was a drunkard and passed out. Had he been attentive to his duties, there may have been some chance of saving the Prince."

OOC: Please use the forum die roller for all die rolls.

Talore
2010-07-13, 12:28 AM
Waiting for the general, kthnx

dresdor
2010-07-20, 03:10 PM
With no more questions, the mage bows out and leaves. He returns a few minutes later followed by a handful of men and women.

"The advisers of the court. Captain-General Crageen, leader of the military forces." An older man in full plate mail with a tall plume on the helmet he carries under his arm steps forward and salutes. "Poet Lareate, Lady Anette Bristine." A woman in flowing blue robes curtsies. "Head Treasurer, Lord Braxon Billnorn." A man in green robes nods his head at you. "Head diplomat, High Emmisary Nod Tronton." A man in black leather bows deeply. "Head of the people's forum, High Praetor, Lady Arren Rollson." A lady in a plain white dress nods. "And of course I am the Chief Magus. These are the usual advisors for the crown, though if you feel the need for any other areas of the nation to be represented, let me know." He bows.

Talore
2010-07-20, 06:59 PM
Rilusia quickly nods to the other councilors, then walks swftly towards Captain-General Cragheen. Taking a slight bow, she introduces herself, "I am Rilusia, Jasidin Vanguard and champion of Order. I've led crusades and wars despite my age." she notes, conscious of her relatevely young age. "I would like a full tactical report of all military operations the crown is engaged in, the status of immediate settlements, alliances, and any habitual problems we face of a combative nature."

Obrysii
2010-07-21, 12:44 PM
Athryn would, as a young boy, move from official to official, introducing himself with a typical youthful demeanor - he was good at this role. Jamis remained in the place he'd appeared at.

"So. Once I have a good room to rest in, and prepare myself, I would like a tour of the city, at least," he said, finally, to the group.

Turalisj
2010-07-21, 02:34 PM
Fir'vain bowed to each of the ministers. I would like to see what the diplomatic standing between this nation and it's neighbors is. I would like to also take a tour of the city. I will be doing my own seeing of the city later on. But for now, this might be the best way to introduce ourselves to the populace.

Dacia Brabant
2010-07-21, 04:55 PM
Laurel neither bows nor nods nor shakes anyone's hands, but she does offer a simple "Greetings" to the court advisors. "I've already introduced myself to the High Magus, but you may call me Lady Kendrick. A tour is certainly in order, but I too wish to know of the regime's diplomatic standing and relations, as well as its current financial state, and at least basic information on our neighbors, allies and adversaries.

I'm also... curious as to the nature of the people's forum: what is your political body's function in this regime, Lady Arren?"

Obrysii
2010-08-05, 11:38 AM
Athryn had no further business to attend to - and searched for a room to rest in.

[Waiting for DM to further plots ...]

dresdor
2010-08-23, 09:56 AM
Captain-General Crageen nods to Rilusia. "Our military is small compared to that of our neighbors, and has been enough in the past to prevent attacks, with our border forts and the natural boundaries between the nations. We are bordered on every side by a different nation. To the north, Linas, who have been our trading partners for decades, is seperated from us by the mighty Volnar river, bridged in only a handful of places and hard to ford or cross with any force. To the West Grimel, a peaceful farming nation who has never bothered us and we have never warred with. It is a vulnerable flank, but the few forts we have along the main roads have always deterred the few bandits and vagabonds that arise there. To the South, the Dragon Peaks block off most access from Itill, save through one pass with a road and maybe two others that can be passed during the summer. This late in the year it is unlikely that either are passable. The main road is guarded by one of our strongest fortresses, carved by dwarves out of the stone of the mountain. Finally, to the East is Sivil. They are our greatest rivals, and threat. Half of the forts we have are on that border, which is a mix of forests and plains. They are a warlike people, but far more concerned with the sea than land. They buy much of our ore and metal goods, which makes them dangerous in a time like this. They may think we are ripe for the picking. We are currently not facing any trouble, though that might change. The guard at the borders has been reinforced since the death of the royal family."

"We are currently at peace with all of our neighbors, but the peace with Sivil has only been for the last year. Before that we had border skirmishes and raids that caused us to reinforce that border. Even now we expect more problems."

Lady Arren steps forward when the Captain-General finishes"The People's Forum is a kind of court where the people can raise concerns and disputes to be heard by a committee of their peers. We then decide the matters of the law and how it is to be enforced. It ensures that nobles and even the King do not have too much power over the people. We are all men and women, we should be treated with dignity, even if some are born into a higher station." She eyes the other advisors, particularly the Chief Magus and Treasurer.

When you are done asking your questions, you are given a suite of rooms to refresh yourselves before being given a tour of the city.

OOC: Finish any questions and the city tour will begin, unless you want to RP in your rooms together out of sight of the advisers.

Talore
2010-08-23, 12:02 PM
Rilusia is content, and awaits the tour

Obrysii
2010-08-23, 12:09 PM
Having little more to say, Athryn climbs atop the firey horse, and awaits to be guided - he expected to take an aerial tour - as this would be best for him; he felt Jamis shift underneath him, but he knew the equine had no trouble in the slightest in bearing the weight of his child-like form.

"Jamis and I will take an aerial tour soon - anyone else is welcomed to come with," he said, "Provided we can find a means to carry you all - presumably a net we can sling below my companion."

Turalisj
2010-08-23, 12:25 PM
.I will join you myself. As for carrying me.... Well, there's no need to worry much about that Fir'vain said with a wink. He rolled his shoulders a bit before scratching his chin. I'd like to investigate the mountains to the South sometime.... I have a.....knack for dealing with the likes of dragons. Would anyone wish to join me?

Obrysii
2010-08-23, 01:48 PM
"I, too, possess a knack for dealing with dragons," the boy said, a sense of priding flowing into his voice, "I will go with you."

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-23, 04:32 PM
Laurel listens politely to both the Captain-General and the High Praetor, but when Lady Arren finishes she says dryly, "So, an aristocratic republic, or a constitutional monarchy even.... How quaint."

She also looks over to the Head Treasurer, but likely for a different reason than Arren did. She pauses a moment though, as if concentrating on something unseen or perhaps sizing him up, before asking her question.

Well, we've heard of the military and the politics, but not yet of the most important part: armaments and governments are moot without money and resources to support them. What say you, Lord Billnorn? What are this nation's capabilities--and its liabilities?"

Concentration check to regain psionic focus: [roll0]

I'm fine with that being her last question before the tour begins.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-23, 07:52 PM
Bleys swirls his wine around in his glass before downing it. "Tell me, what is the state of the arts in this country? Do any of our neighbors have a particular appreciation?"
Mr. DM, did you get my message about the leadership thing?

dresdor
2010-08-23, 09:42 PM
The rather weasely looking noble that is the Treasurer seems startled by being addressed directly. "Our state is quite solvent. Our mineral and manufacturing capacity brings in a considerable income, and our entire government could be maintained by the facilities owned by the crown. With the trade tariffs and other levies we have a considerable treasury, more than sufficient to finance a drastic expansion of military forces. My knowledge of our neighbors finances are limited, but over the past decade we have made a number of loans to each of them, though only Grimel has repaid them in full. Should our trade and the market for our goods fail, though, the largest portion of our income is from those sources."

Laurel manages to regain psionic focus.

Lady Bristine takes Bleys's arm and laughs. "We are truly the only civilized people in these lands. What passes for the arts in the other nations is laughable. Maybe a man of such culture would enjoy looking through my collection of rarer works. Maybe you'll see something in my collection you'll like." She coos in Bleys's ear.

"If we are quite done here," Alair glares at Lady Bristine. "I will show you around the city." He gathers up those of you that want to tour the city, and leads you out of the palace. The other advisers go about their business.

"This is, of course, the palace. It sits on the high point of the city, with its view being the grandest here. We are in the center of the city, and, as you can see, the main thoroughfares follow the cardinal directions to meet in a circle around the palace walls." The city below you is surrounded by a tall circular wall. It is divided by the largest roads into quarters. He leads you down out of the gates. There are many people on the streets, most of whom nod and point towards you as a group such as yours is a sight to see. The area he leads you too is filled with shops and large brick buildings with guild signs on their doors.

"This is the trade quarter. If you need anything it can be found here. It is home to the guilds, and is truly the heart of our fair city. Ahead is the market square, where the visiting merchants and caravans set up their booths to sell what they can." Ahead is a busy open area, filled with people shouting their wares. A variety of tents are set up, with people selling everything you can imagine. One booth has a variety of glass vials filled with different colored liquids. A wagon is filled with caged animals from distant lands. Not to mention the food vendors. "Follow me to the Noble's quarter."

He leads you to a less crowded area. There are fewer people on the streets, and most of them are very well dressed. The houses are large and walled off. Even the streets seem to be made of a finer cobblestone than the trade quarter. "This is where the nobility lives while they are in the city away from their estates. Most of these houses are unoccupied most of the time. Ahead is the Garden of Kings." He leads you into an open area with trees and dozens of statues made of gold and marble. Each depicts a crowned man, presumably a past King. One of them is covered by a black shroud. "The visage of the late majesty. It will be veiled until a new king is crowned. This is the only area in the noble quarter where any may come at any time. Many of the other areas are restricted to nobles and servants, even the guild leaders without titles are restricted from those areas. You, of course, are exempt to this rule." He nods down the street. "This way please."

You cross into an area where the buildings are far more utilitarian and uniform. You see soldiers patrolling the streets, and soon come across a pillory and stocks. "This is the Military Quarter. Home to the barracks, training ground, High Courts and People's Forum." Ahead is an open area where groups of soldiers drill with weapons and march in formation. "This is the drill square. Our military is a volunteer force in times of peace, but their training is among the best of the world." He leads you off again, and the buildings become shabbier and fewer are made of brick. The streets here are packed with people, but a pocket opens up for your group.

"This is the Commons, or the Freeman's Quarter. This is where the majority of the people live. There is not much to say about this area, but it is a fire hazard should the city come under siege." He leads you quickly towards the gates of the city. They are massive stoneworks with a raised iron portcullis. "Four sets of these gates protect our city. The wall is fortified with towers, though many are unmanned. We can call up militia bowmen to man them. Is there anything else you'd like to see or anything I can answer?"

Turalisj
2010-08-23, 09:54 PM
One thing I am going to suggest, as fire hazards have been... common to my people, is dipping into the national treasury to remodel the Freeman's Quarter. If we can get those who have no jobs to work as brick layers, we can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Poverty levels can be lowered, and the nasty issue of a fire hazard can be avoided. As Fir'vain spoke, small puffs of smoke seeped from his nostrils, particularly on the word fire. However, all things considered, it truly is a remarkable city. If you do not mind, though, I would like to take my own tour of the city. The average person tends to tidy up when there's an official around.

Jallorn
2010-08-23, 10:33 PM
I'd like to make Knowledge History checks regarding each of the neighboring countries, as well as the one we've landed in, to see if I know anything about their origins and culture in my time:
Do we even know the name of this country yet?: [roll0]
Linas: [roll1]
Grimil: [roll2]
Sivil: [roll3]
Itill: [roll4]

Also, I'm on the tour.

Obrysii
2010-08-24, 01:17 PM
Saying little, and simply following on the back of the powerful Nightmare, the boy would look about - and as they came upon the Gardens, he said, "This. I shall make my roost here - for I prefer the natural feel of it compared to the stonework of your people."

He shifted, "That is not to say it is not good - just I have more fondness for trees and artwork, specifically the goldsmithing, that eases my mind."

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-25, 12:58 AM
As the tour progresses toward the nobility district, Laurel decides it's time to take her own private tour at the same time--that is to say, she leaves her possessed body to return to the Ethereal Plane for a time. But not before linking her own thoughts to that of her thrall's.

Well I think that trade quarter is a fine place to start snooping, so I'll leave you to hold down the fort. So don't go spacing out on the tour dear, I'll expect a full report--and see if you can find a nice flat for yourself in town, she mentally tells Sara before going ethereal, who responds, Yes Domina, I'm actually enjoying it.

Laurel stays ethereal, not wanting to attract any attention whatsoever, as she backtracks to the trade quarter. She will stay until her mindlink to Sara expires, listening in on conversations in the bazaar, paying particular attention to any mention of either their tour group, of the death of the royal family and the state of the kingdom, and of Sivil and any movements they might be making. Basically the word on the street.

Meanwhile, Sara-as-Laurel clears her throat a bit before asking the boy riding the Nightmare, "Ah, your roost you say? Would you not prefer a bed? I know I shall be wanting one, in one of these fine mansions certainly. No good having them stand empty, they should be put to use."

Manifesting mindlink with Sara, 1 PSP, lasts 60 minutes.

Gather Information check: (shouldn't be any risk of garnering suspicion since she's ethereal).

Listen check if necessary: [roll=1d20+10

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-25, 01:02 AM
Bah, mixed up the dice code with the one over at Plothook. I'll try again, sorry about the double post.

Gather Info: [roll0]

Listen: [roll1]

Obrysii
2010-08-25, 07:44 AM
"I was raised a paladin - in a small monastery. I have no need for exceptional luxury, although Jamis here may wish to partake in that: that is his call, and his to make," the boy said with a smile, "I'll be comfortable out here - you needn't worry."

Again that unusual intellect slipped from his mouth - implying he may be more than he claimed to be.

Talore
2010-08-25, 06:41 PM
Rilusia is fairly silent along the tour. She notes the despicable state of the commoner district and the presence of no less than four equidistant gates. Somehting shall have to be done about that...

Kelhwar shadows Rilusia as silently, though a tad more concerned about hte immediate situation than far-off battles that may not manifest.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-25, 07:07 PM
Bleys proves responsive to Lady Bristine, flashing a toothy grin and turning on the charm.
"Artwork, yes, lovely... but how is your music?", he says, as he flips out an arm, where a beautifully worked violin appears. A bow appears in the other hand, and he closes his eyes, playing one long, drawn out, poignant note. Everyone in the room (except those with high will saves) is momentarily drawn to it, entranced, all other thoughts drowned out, until he takes the bow from the violin, and smiles again.
"Of course. Let us tour your arts... much more fun than dull factories and boring civic buildings, anyways. I can always steal an aerial view of the city later."

dresdor
2010-08-25, 11:44 PM
Hiana
You try to recall any information about Dranala and its surrounding provinces. After much mind wracking, you come up with little. What little you do know is that a few millenia ago this area was a single mighty kingdom, and Dranala was the central province. What happened after that, though, is not within your field of knowledge.

Laurel
Your ethereal information gathering comes up with some results. It is clear from some conversations that the commoners are worried about what will happen without a monarch. There is some worry about invasion, but more seem concerned about what the nobles will do. It seems that many nobles, if not all, have ties to the royal bloodline, and as such some claims to the throne. Even the few nobles in the city that you find talk about their blood and who they would find a worthy monarch....out of earshot of anyone tied to the palace of course.

Bleys
The Lady Poet seems very well versed in the cultures of her nation and its neighbors. It does indeed seem that Dranala has the only true organized arts, with a college for musicians and poets, and one of the largest known libraries. Bards trained in Dranala serve the courts of many distant lands, and men trained at the colleges of Dranala have virtual immunity from persecution, as their skill in the arts is that well respected.

She also seems far more interested in seducing Bleys than giving away much information, but the suave man has stared down a Goddess, a mere noblewoman, no matter how educated, is child's play.

Those on the Tour
Alair bows deeply. "Unless you wish to see anything else, I will head back to the palace. You may follow me, or go where you will. The guards have been alerted to your presence and purpose, and you will have full privileges to do as you wish. If I can be of service, you have but to ask."

Jallorn
2010-08-25, 11:48 PM
Is there a library anywhere? I have a lot of catching up to do.

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-26, 02:25 PM
Intrigued by the line-of-succession discussion, Laurel decides to stay out a bit longer and try to follow that thread of information to the Nobility Quarter.

Likewise, Sara excuses herself at the end of the tour to go back to the same area and find a suitably large manor to house not only herself but the stream of Believers she knew her master would inevitably attract.

Gather Information: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

And if she finds any interesting-sounding conversations in the Nobility Quarter about claims to the throne, Laurel will manifest Read Thoughts (she'll return to the Material Plane if she has to in order to do that, but will stay within a wall or object to avoid notice), 3 PSPs. It's a DC 19 Will save.

Sara's just house-hunting now, she won't try to persuade any occupants to vacate--that'll be Laurel's job.

Talore
2010-08-26, 02:45 PM
Rilusia and Kelhwar make their way to the military district, to see if they can't drum up some followers, or find something to do combat-wise.

dresdor
2010-08-28, 11:32 PM
Hiana
There are several libraries; a large one in the palace, one in the mage's guild, and several smaller personal libraries in the various noble houses. The Lady Bristine also mentioned her personal library before leaving with Bleys.

Laurel
Laurel's exploration leads to more nobles discussing succession. One boasts thirty blood ties to the thrown, another thirty one. It seems like a lot of bravado, and if any of these families were that closely tied, they'd be horribly inbred. After reading some thoughts, though, you realize that they are all playing for power with one another. These blood ties they mention are individual marriages into the royal family that date bate centuries. Most of the nobles that are boasting seem to have the name of House Barrad in the back of their mind. It would seem that this House Barrad is the closest tied to the royal family.

Sara finds many beautiful manors that seem empty. Not abandoned, but when asking as to the owners, she is told that the Lord or Lady is at their country estates. Many of the city houses seem to be kept for appearances only. It may be easy to occupy one.

Rilusia
Rilusia heads back to the military district and easily finds the drill square and there is a small group of officers talking near the barracks. It seems the officers would be the best place to drum up support and get the real idea of the military situation.

Jallorn
2010-08-28, 11:45 PM
Hiana will head for the library in the palace and immediately begin reading. Mostly history, but anything else that's new to him he'll also pick up.

Talore
2010-08-30, 12:19 AM
Rilusia approaches them, Kelhwar in tow. She nods and introdices herself. "I am Rilusia, Jasidin Vanguard, a servant of the Ruby Sorceress. My charge is to maintain the rule of law in the lands, to protect her followers, and to destroy those who would rip asunder civilization." She recites once again. "I have been called by the contingent magic to help run this land until an heir is chosen. I wish to have any skirmishes or problems the military is happening, the situation with Sivil."

Usually silent Kelhwar speaks up, "We'd also be looking for willing patriots and law-abiding adventurers to aid us."

Obrysii
2010-08-30, 07:19 AM
Frowning, Athryn shifts slightly and elected to go on his own - he would rather prefer to see any poorer parts of down first; and so he went - on his own, leaving his cohort behind, as the aspect of a flying, firey horse would likely strike fear in the commoners rather than respect.

He remained in his young boy form, but considered for a moment more mundane clothing - he would stop at a local shop and purchase far more basic clothes, changing and leaving the rest in his backpack.

With that done, he would head into the poorer parts of town - confident that even if trouble found him he could get out of it alone.

dresdor
2010-08-30, 09:47 AM
Hiana
Hiana makes it back to the palace, and the library is truly a sight. Larger than many of the nobles homes, it is filled with thousands of books, some that seem to be older than time itself, others that it seems the ink is still fresh on. A general search would take centuries, but luckily the servants who maintain the library are eager to help.

OOC: Any particular area you want to research, or just the history of this nation and its neighbors?

Rilusia
The oldest of the three officers, bows his head slightly. His right eye is covered by a red patch with a crude drawing of an eye on it. A deep scar running from the middle of that eyebrow down his cheek hints at the decimated eye behind the patch. He cannot be more than thirty years old.

"A pleasure to meet you, sirrah, I assure you if you need strong hands, we three are the surest you will find here. I am Jacobs, sergeant at arms of the First Pikers, and these are Corporal John Mattings of the Yeoman Rangers and Corporal Smin Lornin of the Peasants Outriders. If you wish to speak to the Lord Wethington of the Horse Brigade, he's occupied at the moment."

"Drunk sop of a nobleman." Mattings mutters, prompting a glare from Jacobs.

"There hasn't been too much trouble since the last war with Sivil. Bandits appear on that border more often than not but we can never tie it to their army, but those that they do capture are usually 'released' into military service as penance. There be trouble in it though, before the last war things started similarly. Soon they will be asking out aid because of a famine or plague or something in their lands, and as soon as we let our guard down to let in their refugees and send them supplies, they will strike at us hard and fast. A few border forts won't matter then."

"In that case, send the Horse Brigade, after all," Smin does a mocking impersonation of a nobleman's voice, "Proper Cavalry tactics and men and horse of a certain stock are all that is needed to police the border. No mere Sivil man can withstand such gallantry, and none shall should such a trajedy occur." This prompts a glare from the Sergeant.

"Forgive my officers, sirrah, they have let the little rank they hold get to their heads. They do not believe I will give them latrine or kitchen duty since they have their roses." You notice now that on the two corporal's collars are a pair of red rose shape pins. Each has one petal in white. The Sergeant has a similar one, though his has two petals in white. Clearly this is a rank insignia, and none of the men you see drilling has them. "I do not mean to waste your time with chatter, sirrah, what else can I do for you?"

Athryn
Athryn emerges from the shop in peasant brown, a simple coarse garment of wool that is itchy no matter what way it is worn or shifted. It seems that perhaps not all of the peasantry is infested with lice, merely wearing the same uncomfortable wool.

The Freeman's District is a bussle of people. It seems a large portion of the population lives in this district, crammed together as tightly as possible. There do not seem to be too many beggars, and those that are there all seem to be physically or mentally impaired. If you can work, you will find work. None of the people seem to overfed, but they are hardly starving either.

There is a large amount of grumbling about the nobility, though...out of earshot of any but friends, and the carefully listening Athryn. The lower classes all seem to be wondering which noble house will try to claim a right to the throne, especially now that the ancient magic, which is not just an old wives tale as it had seemed, has activated and brought fourth a dozen angelic advisors....no, it was two dozen....no, it was a hundred, and not angels but ancient and wise dragons....the good kind and in human shape....

Throughout the district you hear the story told and mistold in every way you can imagine. The only consistency is the shock that it actually happened. You aren't sure of what to make of it. As you are thinking about it, you notice a cloaked figure ducking back into an alleyway. You wouldn't make anything of it, but you've seen the same man three times now. Maybe he is following you.

Obrysii
2010-08-30, 10:01 AM
The rumors where partially true, Athryn thought to himself, smirking. He was wise, powerful - but not quite an older dragon yet; his aims, though, where likely the same as any of his kind and he found that the poorer districts here where definitely better off than he anticipated.

Athryn was, however, perfectly accepting of birthright. It was through birth that the nobles claimed wealth and power, and to a dragon born into wealth and power this felt acceptable - and yet he felt that there must be a clause built into the system to enable to wise and canny to achieve greatness and even nobility.

Otherwise, society would stagnate.

Athryn felt the hair on the back of his neck rise - and he knew something wasn't right. Turning around, he spotted faintly a cloak waving in the darkness, and he turned to investigate. "Whomever you are, come into the open - I am available for discussion if you wish it," he said, his voice forceful - commanding. Confident.

Jallorn
2010-08-30, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking just the history of this region and it's neighbor's for now. Also, look into whether there is any mention of the demon he was fighting anywhere.

From this point on, Hiana is going to spend most of his free time, (that is, time when he doesn't have (or simply isn't spending doing) other things to do regarding the country) reading, so can we assume that his knowledge is slowly updating?

Dacia Brabant
2010-08-31, 12:08 AM
Laurel and Sara will eventually join back up and return to the palace, where the Domina will start her search for information regarding House Barrad, including which estate in the city belongs to them.

If she sees Hiana there she'll naturally greet him accordingly.

Gather Information: [roll0]

dresdor
2010-09-01, 04:07 PM
Obrysii
The figure disappears into the alley. Your command gets you some looks from passers by, but has no effect on bringing the figure out from hiding.

Hiania
Slowly you begin accustoming yourself to a few thousand years of history, and things are starting to slide into place. It will take some time to refer to places by their new names (and some are even missing completely from maps).

This region and its neighbors were once part of a great nation under a powerful militaristic king. When that king died, his son took over, and the line continued for a few hundred years, until a weak leader came to power, and the land of Sivil broke away, forming a military republic of sorts (it has since then turned into more of a despotism, as their High General has most of the power of the republic at his command). The weak king did nothing to sieze back the lands, and soon every far corner of the empire had uprisings. The King was deposed, but nothing could restore the nation to its greatness. It eventually shrivelled, pulling back on itself, abandoning lands to the wild. The other three neighbors formed from groups of like-minded individuals grouping together for common defense, but Dranala was a special case. One of the heirs of the Royal line escaped to these lands and raised an army to try to retake these lands. He was only successful enough to carve out the nation of Dranala, and his line has ruled here since. It is because the royalty in Dranala are descendant from the nation that Sivil rebelled against that they have such poor relations, though few remember that now.

Your search for information about your Demonic Enemy is less fruitful. You find mention of a "Great Darkness" in the far west, and that several holy orders sent paladins and knights to fight it. The most recent mention of a Crusade is five hundred years ago, and though the Great Darkness is used as a reason, there is no mention of it still existing for certain.

Laurel
House Barrad was a high noble house with five hundred or more years of history within the nation. It is one of the few houses that does not maintain an estate within the city. Of interest is that there seems to be some sort of a feud between House Barrad and the royal house. There is no mention of why, but the feud is fairly recent (within the last fifty years). The estates of House Barrad are a short distance away from the city, and they seem to control a lot of land in proximity to the city.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-04, 11:16 AM
Once Laurel has exhausted her own research, she'll approach Hiana (who it looks like she hasn't been introduced to yet) since they're both in the palace library.

"I--ah, hmm, I'm sorry but I don't think I ever got your name. You're to be one of us councilors though, I know that much, and well you seem like a scholarly sort. If you should learn anything noteworthy about a House Barrad, particularly as it relates to their dealings with the Crown, I should appreciate it greatly if you would pass it along to me. There may be some old business we'll have to settle before our administration of the kingdom can properly commence."

Jallorn
2010-09-04, 11:18 AM
Why don't we share information? I've already learned some things that I find are very interesting. The name, is Hiana, by the way. Hiana Consua, the Immortal.

Talore
2010-09-04, 11:46 AM
Rilusia gets down to buisiness. "What I need, is brave, willing adventurers, soldiers, spellcasters, or any other willing hands to aid me. I feel it in my bones that there will be bitter combat before an heir is chosen. When that happens, willing warriors and aides will help turn the tides of war, to our side. I can't fight armies alone." She says, though she glances back to Kelhwar for the irony.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-04, 01:28 PM
Laurel gives Hiana an eyebrow-raised smile.

"The Immortal, you say? Hmm, interesting, and a bit unexpected. Perhaps you'll tell me more about that sometime. Well Hiana Consua, you may call me Laurel and since we're sharing information you might call me the Immortal too, though I'd much prefer it if you didn't. Best not to have one's strengths advertised, no?"

"As for what I've uncovered, let me give you the gist of it: while on our tour of the city I couldn't help but overhear the commoners fretting over what the nobility will do in the absence of a monarch, specifically whether there'll be troubles over conflicting claims to the throne. That concern was borne out by the nobles' conversations, but their own concerns implicitly pointed at one particular house's claims: House Barrad, which seems to have the most ties to the royal family but had a recent feud with them as well. Curiously, they do not have any holdings in the city, but quite a substantial amount nearby.

"Perhaps this is all circumstance mixed with gossip, but I don't believe it is. So, what've you discovered?"

Jallorn
2010-09-04, 01:37 PM
Well, where, or rather, when I'm from, this land was a great empire. The bordering nations were a part of it, but as with all kingdoms, it was eventually shattered by decay. The people with the closest claim to ruling this nation would be those who rule Dranala. Unfortunately, due to political strains, this won't be an acceptable option. My thoughts are for an alternative government, but I have no idea how that would be received.

Due to a misunderstanding, I have to rethink some things.

Turalisj
2010-09-04, 02:01 PM
Fir'vain found a quiet alleyway with no prying eyes and closed his eyes. Letting out a long, slow breath, he slowly changed from the form of a human to something more... draconic. His skin melted away and hardened, forming glistening bronze scales. His head warped and expanded, his eyes forming green orbs and fangs growing from his teeth. A pair of bronze bat wings erupted from his back, opening through a pair of slits in his shirt designed for just that use.

Fir'vain looked towards the sky and took off, flying upwards until he could get a view of the city.

dresdor
2010-09-04, 02:06 PM
OOC: Just to clarify Hiania in case I was confusing, this is the nation of Dranala.

BIC:
Rilusia
"Well, sirrah, if you have the interests of our people at heart, I can find you five thousand men within the city ready to take up whatever arms they can find, and another five hundred experienced men in addition to the five hundred we have here at the barracks. We might even be able to get old Wethington's horseman to give a hand, though they are only five score."

Fir'Vian
The city soon shrinks below you, and the people seem like ants. From the air the city is not very formidable, but then again, most of the threats its face have been from ground forces. How easy it would be for a group of flying troops to come through and smash the palace to bits without having to face the soldiers on the outer walls. It strikes you that most cities around this area are probably set up the same way, including those of the enemies of Dranala.

Jallorn
2010-09-11, 01:32 PM
Nothing immediately useful, though any knowledge of this place and time is undoubtedly helpful. To that point, I do have some ideas for, well, for lots of things, but I have a particular idea for how to find a new king.

Talore
2010-09-11, 01:36 PM
OOC: Just to clarify Hiania in case I was confusing, this is the nation of Dranala.

BIC:
Rilusia
"Well, sirrah, if you have the interests of our people at heart, I can find you five thousand men within the city ready to take up whatever arms they can find, and another five hundred experienced men in addition to the five hundred we have here at the barracks. We might even be able to get old Wethington's horseman to give a hand, though they are only five score."

Fir'Vian
The city soon shrinks below you, and the people seem like ants. From the air the city is not very formidable, but then again, most of the threats its face have been from ground forces. How easy it would be for a group of flying troops to come through and smash the palace to bits without having to face the soldiers on the outer walls. It strikes you that most cities around this area are probably set up the same way, including those of the enemies of Dranala.
"I was thinking more of a personal retinue for dealing with combative issues personally across the land, though mustering support for military personell incase of war is always good," replies Rilusia.

dresdor
2010-09-12, 08:04 AM
Rilusia
"If you mean to take a closer look at the border with our life-long enemies, sirrah, I will hand pick as many men as you'd like to escort you. I'm sure you can manage yerself finely, but cows like Sivil men would kill a single man for the fun of it, let alone someone chosen for a leader. A dozen men would strike fear into their hearts, and fifty more. I leave the choice to you, sirrah, but know my men are loyal to this city, and by that, loyal to you and the council. I may be a simple sergeant, but word of you and your friends has spread already past the gates, and will not be long afore the world knows who has power in this land, and tries your strength."

Fir'vian
Fir'vian spots something on the rooftops below. A cloaked man with a bow, arrow knocked and aimed for him. The arrow looses, and buries itself in his side (8 damage). The wound burns a bit, which is unusual. The cloaked man looks like the one that disappeared into the alley.

Obrysii
2010-09-12, 02:24 PM
Athryn, having had his command ignored, journeys into the alleyway - looking for the figure who had been tailing him. He would want to know the purpose behind it.

[Sorry - didn't really think I had anything noteworthy to add...]

dresdor
2010-09-12, 03:13 PM
Athryn
Athryn sees the man clearer now. He has a bow and quiver, and is climbing up the side of one of the buildings. He seems to be an adept climber, and is making his way up with no difficulty. He will soon reach the thatch roof of the building.

Turalisj
2010-09-12, 04:06 PM
Fir'vain snapped off the arrow, gouts of smoke obscuring parts of his face. In draconic, he growled out. BAD. MOVE. From his mouth, a jet of yellow green acid shot out, engulfing the area in a caustic substance.

ooc: Flying down 15ft to in range of my breath attack. Using acid breath at line setting, doing [roll0] damage

dresdor
2010-09-12, 04:39 PM
Fir'vian
Fir'vian's acid sprays down at the figure. He smiles....actually smiles in the face of the acid, and dives away from it. The acid seemingly doesn't touch him. It does bubbles on the stone, a stream of vapor rising from it. The man stands from his dive and runs across the rooftop. He jumps to the next roof (he is now about 80 feet away).

Turalisj
2010-09-12, 04:50 PM
Fir'vain stops himself from chasing the man further. Attracting unwanted attention, especially in a new land, would not be the best course of action. The dragonborn landed in an alley and focused himself. His wings retracted and his scales melted back into flesh. Fir'vain turned his body back into his human form. Looking around to make sure no one noticed, he began to make his way back to the palace.

dresdor
2010-09-12, 04:54 PM
Fir'vian
Though your form changing has sealed the wound in your side from sight, and expelled the arrowhead, your side still burns. You feel out of breath as you return to the palace.

Turalisj
2010-09-12, 04:56 PM
Fir'vain went to the first guard he could find. Where...is the medical ward. There's an assassin roaming the street.

dresdor
2010-09-12, 05:05 PM
Fir'vian
The guard takes down your description of the assassin and assures you that they will find him. He has another guard lead you to the Military Quarter near the training grounds to find a healer. You spot Rilusia from a distance talking to a couple guardsmen.

Obrysii
2010-09-12, 07:27 PM
"Dammit, why did I leave Jamis behind?" Athryn said, shifting uncomfortable as he saw the gout of fire.

Dare he? He could catch the assassin with ease if he had to - but dare he reveal himself now? His heart pounded - the decision was a strong one.

But no - now was not the time. There were too many witnesses, too many possibilities.

He ran to the alley where Fir'vian landed. "We're running into one another again," he said, "I will go with you. I need to determine how easy it will be to procure a wand of healing - we have enemies in this land already. I possess one already - but I do not wish to expend it entirely."

That said, he drew the wand from his robes, and activated it's magic on Fir'vian, healing him a considerable amount.

Wand of Cure Serious Wounds, healing 3d8+5=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2685525/) damage.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-12, 07:58 PM
While all this excitement was going on in another part of the city, Laurel continued her conversation with Hiana.

"Have you now? Splendid. Please do share, I should very much like to hear it," she inquired after his idea to find a new king.

Jallorn
2010-09-12, 08:05 PM
I must be honest, the basic idea is not mine originally, but then, few ideas are anymore. I propose a trial, not unlike- oh, but then, that story will have been lost by now. Well, suffice it to say that I propose a trial that will test numerous qualities of any willing to participate. Tactical skill, courage, morality, intelligence, and many others besides. It would be a big project, but I believe it might bind these four peoples together as one once again. Hiana smiles broadly as he continues, If I can understand even a piece of the magic that brought us here, the great compulsion it holds over even the greatest of us to serve as this nation's leaders unquestioningly, I could bind that into a contract that any who agree to it would be compelled to follow it's letter.

Turalisj
2010-09-12, 08:48 PM
Fir'vain merely nodded. It seems there is much to learn... About eachother as well. You are no ordinary child. What are you really? Either way, we must head to the palace. I'm a bit familiar with assassins, and it seems this one has had the bright idea to poison me.

ooc: fast forward to the military quarter I'm guessing.....

At the military quarter, Fir'vain finds the nearest healer. I've been poisoned. I'm not an expert in such, but I am feeling a bit light headed at the moment.

Obrysii
2010-09-12, 09:10 PM
"A warrior of the just," Athryn said, a faint smile and a glint in his eye, "But I cannot reveal more now - but I suspect in time we shall learn one another's secrets; we must, if we are to rule this land in peace."

Should the man require assistance, Athryn would help support him to the military quarter - though in appearance a younger man he possessed all of the physical strength of an average human.

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-12, 10:19 PM
Laurel's brow furrowed at the mention of "binding these four peoples together," but by the end of his explanation her smile had returned.

"Turn our compulsion onto them, yes that is a fine idea. Although I am curious, you mentioned four peoples--I suppose you must mean Dranala's neighboring countries and not, say, the nobility, military, the bourgeoisie, err pardon the middle-class merchants, and the underclass of this kingdom--why should they all be included in this? Were they previously united?"

Jallorn
2010-09-12, 11:56 PM
I mean everyone, but yes, this whole land was once a great kingdom, and I intend to unite it again.

dresdor
2010-09-13, 08:49 AM
Fir'vian and Athryn
The wand activates, and heals any remaining sign of the wound. Fir'vian feels better, but the spot is still very tender. The burning has lessened, but is not completely gone.

At the military quarter, a uniformed man with a silver eye pinned to his collar leads you inside a building that looks similar to the rest. Inside are row after row of beds, a few with men that are obviously ill or injured (anything from bloody bandages to one man who appears to be coughing up blood). You are led to a bed away from the others.

"I am Jarvian, of the Watchers. Lie back and rest." He unpins the eye and pins it to a cloth headbands he wears. He pulls the band over his eyes, so the eye pin sits in between where his true eyes are. "The injury is healed, but there is something else there. It is not disease nor poison. I'm not quite sure what it is. How did you come by this wound?"

Turalisj
2010-09-13, 08:55 AM
I was... exploring in the city. A cloaked figure fired upon me from the rooftops then fled. It seems word has spread quickly about the new leadership of the lands. Fir'vain nodded towards the rest of the tent. What of those men? How did their wounds come about?

Obrysii
2010-09-13, 09:13 AM
"I saw a cloaked figure - he failed to yield to my command and then I saw a gout of acid; when I arrived in the alley, my companion was on the ground and injured," Athryn reported.

dresdor
2010-09-13, 10:27 AM
"Any men injured in training or of the guard who are sick come here for healing. I'm afraid that most magical healing is beyond the means of a common soldier, and wounds will heal with time. If we were in a desperate fight or in the field, we would have plenty of holy men to pray for healing. As we are in the city in peace, and most of these injuries were carelessness and not wounds received defending the nation," He glares over his shoulder at a man with a heavily bandaged thigh, "they will have to wait to heal the old fashioned way."

"You should not be surprised that news of a handful of powerful individuals summoned from all over the lands, and beyond, shouldn't be known by everyone in the city by now. With the High Magus parading you about the city to boot. I don't believe half the stories, but I know what I see. You both are powerful indeed, and confident, I can see it in your gaze, and I don't need the eye to tell that." Though his eyes are still blinded by the band, Athryn swears he sent a knowing gaze his way.

"Well, your wound is healed, and I think I understand what has happened to you. The magic in it is strange, and it is magic. It is an abjuration effect, and a quite strong, but shielded one. Someone just looking at you, even with the ability to sense magic, wouldn't notice it, especially not while you have so many other magic sources dancing around you, not the least is the summoning magic that I presume brought you here. I don't know the full effects of it, but it seems that you are tagged. Whoever shot at you hit you with a spell that marks you so he will be able to find and follow you. I do not know how long the spell will last, nor how far away you can still be found at."

Dacia Brabant
2010-09-13, 11:13 PM
"Well. I admire your idealism, Hiana the Immortal," Laurel responds wistfully after a long moment, as though she had been reminded of something. "Would that we all thought as you do....

"Right. If you do find anything about House Barrad be sure to let me know, and I'll do whatever I can to help with that test for prospective rulers. I'm not one to boast, but I should be excellent at divining their moral fitness and strength of character."

With that she bids him farewell and retreats to her assigned room, where she converses with Sara for a while about what she saw on the tour while Laurel was out gathering information. "Dear Sara, it's been such a day, why don't you take a rest now?" she offers afterward, before leaving her thrall's body again and returning to the Ethereal to make her way unseen to the Noble Quarter and take over a suitable house there.

dresdor
2010-10-01, 02:02 PM
Laurel
You manage to find a large house where there is only an old groundskeeper. A little ghostly action and he is running for the hills claiming the "Old Brensky Place" is haunted. Seems like you will be left alone there for a while at least.

OOC: Does anyone have any other important actions to mention, otherwise I will advance the story a few weeks; as it seems most of what you are doing will take time. If you have no immediate needs, you can state what you will be up to during that time.

Talore
2010-10-01, 08:41 PM
I'm done with this game.

Obrysii
2010-10-02, 03:42 PM
At present, though, I am not sure what I can add to advance the game ... there's no obvious threats, no hooks, and no real motion forward.

dresdor
2010-10-05, 09:53 PM
A week passes, and you slowly settle into your roles of leadership. The people look to you for advice and rulings, and the advisers get used to your routines. Then rumors come to the palace that House Barrad, one of the noble houses that has many ties to the throne but few to the city, has had grave misfortune. Their manor was burned and none have been seen since. It is assumed that they are all dead.

This means, of course, that several nobles within the city are voicing loudly their claims to the throne. With House Barrad out of the way, there is no reason not to. Though the news came just today, nobles and their private guards are mobilizing as if to declare war on one another. Accusations fly everywhere that each noble house engineered the burning of the Barrad Manor.

Obrysii
2010-10-10, 08:07 AM
"Well, then," Athryn said to his advisers, sitting out in the garden, "I do suppose we should determine the exact cause of the burning - so as to put to rest any rumors."

He looked across to them, "Any information that might be useful?"

dresdor
2010-10-19, 10:31 AM
"There is much suspicion, as House Barrad was technically next in line for the throne, should we not find a more direct heir. With the House destroyed, and family scattered, it seems that the rest of the noble houses believe they have better claims on the throne. The city will remain in chaos until you either find an heir, or House Barrad is shown as still solvent, though their manor destroyed. Unfortunately no sign of them has been seen since the burning. Perhaps the Council would like to take a closer look at the remains of the Manor?"

Obrysii
2010-10-19, 01:39 PM
"Yes, I shall go," the boy said. He stood already and wondered to himself what woild make a good heir - though raised by paladins, he did possess the common draconic flaw of a need for power.