PDA

View Full Version : A Riddle of Steel Question

Jyokage
2010-07-01, 02:51 PM
Hello playgrounders, any ideas on what the stats would be on katar in a Riddle of Steel game? In the flower of battle they have the Pata but a pata has significantly different size and weight than a Katar, and also has a longer, thinner blade... Any help would be vastly appreciated, with internet cookies even.

Ormagoden
2010-07-01, 02:53 PM
It's called a punch dagger.
It already has stats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons).

I should read things...

Knaight
2010-07-01, 03:10 PM
I would probably just take the dagger stats. Though it seems out of the feel that Riddle of Steel, it tends to favor the old standards, spears, swords, axes, what not. Maybe increase the amount of bleeding you would see.

Jyokage
2010-07-01, 05:11 PM
Hmm, what about the individual stats? Maybe use similiar stats to the rondel dagger and increase the damage by 1 to account for the wider blade leaving a much more greivous wound?

Swordguy
2010-07-01, 06:08 PM
A katar is actually closer to a Gladius that is held in a funky way than it is to a rondel dagger. Due to their grip style, it's extraordinarily difficult to make an effective cut with them, but they have extremely powerful and accurate thrusts to make up for it. Defensively, they're easy to defend your upper body with and you have less chance of taking damage in the hand or forearm with them, but they're easy to bind up against somebody and become extremely awkward in close. I'd stat it out something like this:

Grip, Length: 1-handed, short
Attack TN (cut): 8
Attack TN (thrust): 5
Defensive TN: 7
Damage (cut): ST-1
Damage (thrust): ST+1
Special: Botches on Parry rolls result in a failed defense and opponent making an immediate damage roll against the appropriate arm as opposed to the original attack location. Additionally, reduce your Combat Pool by -2 per katar equipped when your opponent has grappled you (breaking the grapple immediately restores these CP). Katar cannot be easily dropped and will impose penalties on Offensive and Defensive Grappling activations (Senschal's discretion).

Jyokage
2010-07-01, 06:16 PM
Holy Mother and Monkey! Swordguy, that is perfect, and looks like it might as well have been culled from an unpublished splat book. You have my thanks.

(Good call on the parry rule too; I hadn't thought about how parrying with one would be putting your arm at risk)

Also, what about bleeding damage? Do you think the wide blade would be relevent?

Swordguy
2010-07-01, 07:09 PM
Holy Mother and Monkey! Swordguy, that is perfect, and looks like it might as well have been culled from an unpublished splat book. You have my thanks.

(Good call on the parry rule too; I hadn't thought about how parrying with one would be putting your arm at risk)

Also, what about bleeding damage? Do you think the wide blade would be relevent?

The blade width is already accounted for in the basic damage calculations. A katar is much more like a gladius than a rondel dagger, and so I started with the "short sword" category (which includes gladii) from TROS rulebook, and developed from there.

And thank you. Real-world weapons are kind of my "thing". Glad I could help.

Jyokage
2010-07-02, 03:03 PM
What combat manuevers do you think would be most appropriate? More similiar to a short sword you say; but I can't really imagine a katar doing an evasive strike with it's short reach.