PDA

View Full Version : What should I call my site?

Desyth
2010-07-01, 02:54 PM
I'm going to throw together a quick wordpress site for my DnD group to track campaign progress, character development, and as a way to encourage participation during the parties downtime (what they do inbetween adventures).

I'm keeping an open mind towards expanding it as a resource for side-quests, maps, adventures, items, npc's, playlists, and anything else I'd want to put on there. Who knows? Maybe some Warhammer, computer games, Larping, and book recommendations. I've no illusions about that market being fully saturated, and am not doing this to make money or anything. It would be purely for the sake of writing and the fun of it.

I've always had a few standard personas when I'd played RPGs that have kinda found a nice warm place in my heart. He's always an elf of some sort, and he's always an arcane spellcaster. So I want to tie him into the title/theme of the site somehow.

His name is Iuchar, after a Celtic mythology figure. So here's the gist: I'm thinking of naming the site

* Iuchar's Spellbook
* Iuchar's Tome
* Iuchar's Lexicon
* Iuchar's Tower
* Iuchar's Vault

I'm leaning away from "Spellbook" just 'cause it would require double s' in the URL: www.iucharsspellbook.com and that's kinda weird. As a wizard/mage the title of the site did lean towards "laboratory" or "workshop" or "sanctuary" or "mansion" or something.

I'm open to anything and am basically looking for the playground's thoughts on it, as well as a sanity check to make sure I'm on a sort of right path.

TL;DR: What should I name my RPG/DND/Nerdy themed website while paying homage to one of my favorite characters?

Math_Mage
2010-07-01, 03:17 PM
To the above, I'd add Iuchar's...
-Dungeon
-Cave
-Plane
-Magnificent Mansion
-Blog of Many Things
-Lair

Favorite bolded.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-01, 05:04 PM
''Troglodyte's janitory''
Just for something different.:smalltongue:

Or otherwise Blob of Many Things.

:smalltongue:

Cobalt
2010-07-01, 06:08 PM
''Troglodyte's janitory''
Just for something different.:smalltongue:

Or otherwise Blob of Many Things.

This. Because then, when people ask you about the typo, you can tell them it was the Cookie Monster's idea.

Sneak
2010-07-01, 06:39 PM
Iuchar's Dimensional Pocket.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-01, 07:00 PM
Call it "Imaginary Castle"! For the fun factor!

Or disjunction, or Iuchar's Hideous Laughter, or even Iuchar's Magnificent Mansion! :smallbiggrin:

Dante

Desyth
2010-07-01, 07:06 PM
I do like the Magnificent Mansion, though I'd use another of my characters, Melrok, just for the alliteration.

Cadian 9th
2010-07-01, 07:32 PM
Glad I could help! Magnificent Mansion is a cool name. :smallbiggrin:

Dante

onthetown
2010-07-01, 08:58 PM
I like Iuchar's Vault. It just has a nice ring to it.

Jokasti
2010-07-01, 09:11 PM
You're going to get the URL? Why not just keep it at www.wordpress.com/yourname if it's just you and pals?

Another_Poet
2010-07-01, 09:26 PM
Based on the main Irish legend in which Iuchar, Brian and Iucharba appear you might use one of these:

Iuchar's Cloak (www.iucharscloak.com or www.icloak.com)

Iuchar's Voyage

Iuchar's Death

Iuchar Against the Gods (www.iuchar.com)

Regardless of what you call the website I think it behooves you to use the tagline: "To Persia and Back and All I Got was this Lousy Cloak"

Ooh! One more idea: Iuchar's Red Hand since he was basically caught red-handed in the murder of Cian.

edit: I follow Lugh myself so it is a little weird to be coming up with cool website names that glorify Iuchar :)

jlvm4
2010-07-01, 11:27 PM
I'm keeping an open mind towards expanding it as a resource for side-quests, maps, adventures, items, npc's, playlists, and anything else I'd want to put on there. Who knows? Maybe some Warhammer, computer games, Larping, and book recommendations. I've no illusions about that market being fully saturated, and am not doing this to make money or anything. It would be purely for the sake of writing and the fun of it.

Have you considered naming the site after something broader, like your world, rather than your wizard?

Something like The _______ Chronicles, but cleverer :smallredface:

That might make it easier to link to everything that's going on, even stuff your wizard might not have 'reason' to know.

You could even play off the name of the larger adventuring party, if they had a name.

Brewdude
2010-07-02, 02:31 AM
Since you are doing this for free, at your own expense, for other people, may I present:

Iuchar's Bane
Iuchar's Pita
Iuchar's Burden
Iuchar's Ungrateful Minions
Iuchar's Rock of Sisyphus
Iuchar's Endless Tome
Iuchar's Constant Nag
Iuchar's Repository
Iuchar's Nightmare

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-02, 02:35 AM
Gotta make it atleast a alliteration then.:smalltongue: Though I would sooner go with my suggestions in my first post or the suggestion of naming it after your home-made world instead of a wizard of yours.

Iuchar's idioticracy.
Iuchar's illiteracy
Iuchar's inventings
Iuchar's Ideas
Iuchar's Island
Iuchar's Iffy
Iuchar's Ivy

Desyth
2010-07-02, 03:04 PM
Based on the main Irish legend in which Iuchar, Brian and Iucharba appear you might use one of these:

Iuchar's Cloak (www.iucharscloak.com or www.icloak.com)

Iuchar's Voyage

Iuchar's Death

Iuchar Against the Gods (www.iuchar.com)

Regardless of what you call the website I think it behooves you to use the tagline: "To Persia and Back and All I Got was this Lousy Cloak"

Ooh! One more idea: Iuchar's Red Hand since he was basically caught red-handed in the murder of Cian.

edit: I follow Lugh myself so it is a little weird to be coming up with cool website names that glorify Iuchar :)

Wow, thanks for the insanely in depth researched post! I had to read up on the mythos before I could give you a reply worth the time. I definitely love the tagline from Persia, thats some class right there.

To start healing the animosity between Lugh/Iuchar/Brian, I think some love all around is in need.

Desyth
2010-07-02, 03:06 PM
Have you considered naming the site after something broader, like your world, rather than your wizard?

Something like The _______ Chronicles, but cleverer :smallredface:

That might make it easier to link to everything that's going on, even stuff your wizard might not have 'reason' to know.

You could even play off the name of the larger adventuring party, if they had a name.

Good call. I'm playing around with it.

I knew I came to the right place to get the creative juices flowing! Thanks all for the help!