PDA

View Full Version : n00b in need of strong gestalt build

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-01, 07:57 PM
I've heard a lot about the factotum and I like the skillmonkey aspect of it but I'm not sure how well it works in combat. Anyway, where I'm at right now is this: I like the idea of lotsa skills but I also wanna be able to dominate the battlefield. I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on how best to do this.
We're starting at level 5
28 Point buy

We start with any +2 weapon of our choosing or a +1 weapon of choosing with 2 fire/cold damage bonus, two +2 ability enhancement items of your choosing and any +1 armor piece.

Any recommendations you could give me would be appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

PId6
2010-07-01, 08:00 PM
Factotum 5//Wizard 5
Factotum 5//Psion 5
Factotum 5//Warblade 5
Factotum 5//Artificer 5

Pick and choose as you like.

AmberVael
2010-07-01, 08:03 PM
What books do you have available?

A Factotum//Warblade would be pretty simple to pick up and use, and quite effective. Maybe pull out Iajutsu focus if you can, though that can get a little silly (and Iajutsu focus is from a 3.0 book, so I don't know if you have it, even if it would be allowed).

Level 8 is where Factotum really pays off, so in three levels is when you'd be at your peak. Until then, however, you could do some pretty fun stuff with combining your Int bonus and skill bonuses with various Warblade maneuvers. The various Concentration to damage ones could be fun with the Factotum's skill boosting ability. Further, you get to add Int to initiative, which is great.

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-01, 08:19 PM
I have Dungeonscape, Tome of Battle, and Complete Warrior. I doubt the DM would allow Iajutsu focus cause it's 3.0 but I could try and ask. If not, no big deal, you don't seem to think it's entirely necessary so I wouldn't be too upset if he said no.

Anyway, all those suggestions sound pretty sweet. I already have a Factotum/Psion Character sheet set up but my friends are kinda skeptical about psion. Any particular feats you'd recommend? for Psion or Warblade?

PId6
2010-07-01, 08:28 PM
For Warblade, Power Attack, Combat Expertise -> Improved Trip, and Stand Still are all good. Improved Bull Rush -> Shock Trooper -> Leap Attack are all for in case you want to go ubercharger. Basically anything decent in melee is good to have.

For Psion, definitely grab Psicrystal Affinity, Overchannel -> Talented, Psionic Meditation, Psicrystal Containment, Metapsionic feats, and a bunch of Expanded Knowledges (particularly for Astral Construct and Hustle).

Spend all remaining feats on Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606).

EvilJoe15
2010-07-01, 08:30 PM
Druid // Unarmed Swordsage: Wis synergy out the a**, best part is you can use maneuvers while Wildshaped.
Druid // Psychic Warrior: Wis synergy, and Psionics while Wildshaped.
Druid // StP Erudite: Slight MAD, but DAMN is it good.
Wizard // Warblade: Good Int synergy, take Maneuvers that boost your spellcasting.
Wizard // Psion: Int synergy, a good "I can do any thing I'm prepared for.", but still kick a** if you aren't.
Wizard // StP Erudite: As above, only better.
Hellfire Glaivelock // ToB Class: A good mid power Gish.

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-01, 08:30 PM
Okay, thanks for the help guys. It's much appreciated :smallwink:

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-01, 08:43 PM
If your DM lets you get away with to much StP stuff, you are a lucky guy.

Escheton
2010-07-01, 09:57 PM
Factotum3/Binder1/swordsage1//Totemist2/Warblade2/crusader1

Options, options, options.
Want options? You got em!

Sure, he doesnt cast. But he will fix any problem.

aivanther
2010-07-01, 11:10 PM
Monk//Druid (if sword sage as mentioned above isn't allowed)
Monk//Cleric ( go sacred fist for some more fun and games)

Cleric//Psychic Warrior
Druid//Psychic Warrior

both of these could be a lot of fun, with only action economy being an issue.

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-03, 03:39 PM
Okay so I'm really liking the whole Warblade thing. Anyone know of any good PrC's to maximize damage output? :smallbiggrin: <3

Wings of Peace
2010-07-03, 03:43 PM
Well, you could go into Master of the 9 and build a D2 Crusader variant that hits for inifinite damage :D

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-03, 03:46 PM
Infinite damage? Haha you've got my attention! Unfortunately as the thread implies, Im a noob and I dunno what D2 crusader variant means. Wanna elaborate for me? It'd be greatly appreciated.:smallsmile:

EvilJoe15
2010-07-03, 03:50 PM
It's a combination of a maneuver that lets you reroll and stack your damage whenever you roll max, and a stance that lets you reroll 1s on damage. So if you wield a weapon that does 1d2 damage like a suriken, you do infinite damage, because you always reroll, and stack.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-03, 03:52 PM
It's a combination of a maneuver that lets you reroll and stack your damage whenever you roll max, and a stance that lets you reroll 1s on damage. So if you wield a weapon that does 1d2 damage like a suriken, you do infinite damage, because you always reroll, and stack.

This. Except Shuriken don't work because it has to be a melee attack.

You enter the Aura of Chaos Stance, this lets you add additional damage each time you roll maximum damage on a roll.

Then you take the feat Imbued Healing [Luck], this lets you treat any 1 you roll for damage as a 2.

With a 1d2 damage weapon, this means you will ALWAYS hit for maximum damage thus you keep adding damage infinitely.

I personally like to use it with Jermlaine's, who are a Tiny LA+0 race, thus they can without penalty wield a Tiny sized dagger which does 1d2 damage. There are better options but I find the Jermlaines to be adorable.

Stubborn Hippo
2010-07-03, 03:55 PM
lol wow so you weren't exaggerating... okay well I don't think my DM will let me do that since practically cheating lol. Any other ideas?

Zovc
2010-07-03, 03:57 PM
There's also Factotum//Archivist.

Just sayin'.

Prime32
2010-07-03, 03:58 PM
Take ranks in the Iaijutsu Focus skill (Oriental Adventures) to boost damage when drawing weapons.

We start with any +2 weapon of our choosing or a +1 weapon of choosing with 2 fire/cold damage bonusThat's... weird, since the +1d6 from flaming or frost is equivalent to +3.5 damage.

Wings of Peace
2010-07-03, 03:59 PM
If all you want is the skills Factotum/Wizard or Factotum/Archivist are your best bets. Take the Able Learner feat after your first level of Factotum and you can keep investing in all your skills as though they were class skills.

Since your INT will be high from your casting stat being based off it anyways you should still have a reasonable number of points to invest and you'll be free to multiclass as you wish.

Critical
2010-07-03, 04:17 PM
Already mentioned, but I want to further point out that Druid//Unarmed Swordsage is freaking awesome.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-03, 04:51 PM
Warblade stacks well with many things. It comes out of the box great and is a wonderful active side of a gestalt.

Now you need a passive side to help you out. Look at what you have, good fort save, good BAB, good HD, good combat actions.

Now you don't need any more of that, so lets look at what we can add.

Psion - lots of good self buffs. Good willsave. Int synergy that helps your warblade reflex save. Psionic feats can make some beastly melee attacks with psionic weapon feats + a good warblade manuver.

Wizard - a lot like psion, but you run into armor / arcane spell failure issues.

factotum - take lots of font of inperation. Rock that huge skillpoint pool from a high int to grab knowledged and knowledge devotion from CC. Then, when you get cunning surge, use it to pull off several manuvers per round.

Archivest - nice healing, self buffs, and willsave. Like Psion, but a prepared caster.

Closterd Cleric - Like Archivest, but less number of spells, but access to domains and turn undead. There are some nice buffs you can presist with DMM, or even without.

Point of note, Warblade is great without the need for a PrC, so go and look up some great ones to go to town on the other side.

Zovc
2010-07-03, 08:14 PM
Warblade stacks well with many things. It comes out of the box great and is a wonderful active side of a gestalt.

Psion - lots of good self buffs. Good willsave. Int synergy that helps your warblade reflex save. Psionic feats can make some beastly melee attacks with psionic weapon feats + a good warblade manuver.

An Elan Warblade//Psion has incredible action economy, having immediate actions at level 1. An Elan Factotum//Psion is probably good, too.