PDA

View Full Version : Evil or Not So Evil? [3.5]

Vulkarius
2010-07-01, 08:12 PM
I'm fairly new to 3.5 (but not to other RPGs) and I was wondering if being an evil cleric would negatively effect my group. The group is pretty small and most likely good. Halfling rogue and _______ wizard. We were going to play Shadowmountain (or something similar. Can't quite remember it was a week ago) any suggestions for what type of cleric to be good/evil, race, domain. I rolled

thank you for your help.

mabriss lethe
2010-07-01, 08:22 PM
depends on your group, really. I managed to pull off playing a magic trap abusing cleric of Set in a group with a Paladin. (hint, it involved a trap of perpetual Undetectable Alignment and a really good bluff check.) His battle cry has now become a legend in the gaming group. "For the Glory of Se..[looks at the Paladin]..omebody!"

PId6
2010-07-01, 08:22 PM
Biggest problem with evil clerics is that you can't spontaneously cast healing spells when the party really needs it. Solution: get yourself a wand of Lesser Vigor (or Cure Light Wounds if core) and just use that.

Just having an evil character shouldn't be too bothersome as long as you're not playing Stupid Evil and there are no Lawful Stupid paladins in the party. Try to lean towards LE or NE, and be selfish or greed-inspired rather than an "Eval 4 teh lolz" type. Roleplaying wise, make sure that your character has a connection to the other PCs, whether they're family members or business partners or just friends. Having such a connection helps explain what your character is doing there and why he would stick with the party (contrary to popular television, evil people can be just as loyal/polite/nice to others as good people, even if their motives are different).

For mechanical stuff, what sources are available?

Assassin89
2010-07-01, 08:32 PM
For race, human or anything that gives a wisdom bonus with minimal LA, like the lesser aasimar.

Stat wise, I suggest placing them as follows:
Str: 15
Dex: 9
Con: 15
Int: 11
Wis: 18
Cha: 16

PId6
2010-07-01, 08:35 PM
You don't need that much Cha; you're better off gaining turn attempts through Nightsticks, Extra Turning, and similar if you're going DMM. I'd much rather put the 16 in Con or Str and just dump Cha.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-07-01, 08:35 PM
If you go for evil in a non-evil group do lawful evil. "The ends justify the means" , order security and safety over dignity, freedom or justice. There are several LE tropes to pick from. Most importantly they get along in a group better then other evil alignments as they are perceived as being more "honorable"

Depending on your starting level if you can have a ring of mind shielding. You might not have to tell the party your alignment is evil.

You have awesome stat rolls by the way.

My advice,
Strength 16
Dexterity 9
Constitution 15
Wisdom 18
Intelligence 11
Charisma 15
Chances are you'll be in fullplate as a cleric anyway so a decent dexterity isn't all that necessary, a simple gloves of dexterity can take care of that. Decent Strength, Constitution, Wisdom and Charisma are obvious

You don't need that much Cha; you're better off gaining turn attempts through Nightsticks, Extra Turning, and similar if you're going DMM. I'd much rather put the 16 in Con or Str and just dump Cha.

Many DM's wouldn't allow multiple nightsticks, So I wouldn't assume his would either.

As an evil cleric he wants a decent charisma low-HD undead like a wraith, or an allip can be quite potent due to the ability damage.
A 5HD wraith may count as 7HD when resolving a turning/rubuke attempt, but once that attempt is successful turn resistance won't stop it from being controlled or destroyed.

Certain divine feats also require a minimum charisma if he wants to go for a melee cleric.

Lord Vampyre
2010-07-01, 08:36 PM
The only way your evil cleric would negatively impact the party, except the fact that you can't spontaneously cast healing spells, is if your playing an evil jerk who ends up backstabbing the party. Otherwise, as long as you have good reasons to work together, there shouldn't be a problem.

mabriss lethe
2010-07-01, 08:38 PM
The only way your evil cleric would negatively impact the party, except the fact that you can't spontaneously cast healing spells, is if your playing an evil jerk who ends up backstabbing the party. Otherwise, as long as you have good reasons to work together, there shouldn't be a problem.

seconding this advice.

Vulkarius
2010-07-01, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the advice! And don't worry I'm not playing stupidly. Just calling it evil for lack of a better term. Basicaly out for power but not at the expense of my comrades. Not going to make things stupidly complicated for my party. Little confused on the healing. So I can't heal in battle?

AtopTheMountain
2010-07-01, 09:06 PM
You can still heal -- you just have to specifically prepare healing spells, instead of spontaneously converting spells to Cure spells. You can, however, convert to Inflict spells, for all the good that'll do you.

Siosilvar
2010-07-01, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the advice! And don't worry I'm not playing stupidly. Just calling it evil for lack of a better term. Basicaly out for power but not at the expense of my comrades. Not going to make things stupidly complicated for my party. Little confused on the healing. So I can't heal in battle?

You can spontaneously cast inflict spells instead of cure spells; healing in battle is fine (and probably less useful than just hitting whatever you're fighting), but you'll have to prepare the spells normally.

EDIT: Ninja-err, I guess swordsage'd is the term now?

PId6
2010-07-01, 09:13 PM
You can't spontaneously convert spells to healing spells, but healing in battle is a poor tactic anyways. Just get a wand and heal everyone up after every battle. Generally, killing enemies is a far more efficient use of resources in combat than healing allies.

TraadosDarksund
2010-07-01, 09:27 PM
I don't think it matters all that much. I'm a Choatic Evil and I get along fine with.....well....neutral people. If you pick evil, just make sure that you don't endanger your party.

2010-07-01, 09:41 PM
good clerics can spontaneously switch out any of their prepared spells for healing spells; evil clerics have to actually prepare a healing spell in that slot.

its a little versatility you miss, but then again if your allies are weak and expect you to coddle them they deserve to be left in the cold. your domains should give you some really really cool combat options, more so if you take domain spontaneity.

as for stats: put the 18 on WIS then use the others as if you were making a full-plate fighter without combat expertise. WIS STR CON CHA*

*i dont actually have any idea what im talking about, my characters usually have CON as a dump stat.