PDA

View Full Version : Exalted: What book should I get next?

Woot Spitum
2010-07-01, 10:27 PM
I've had the core rulebook for Exalted for about a year now, and I'm thinking about getting one of the supplements. Any suggestions for a good second book?

Kylarra
2010-07-01, 10:30 PM
It kind of depends on what you want... Any of the other Exalt books are always good choices, Black/White Treatise is excellent if you're a sorcery buff, Oadenol's Codex/Wonders of the Lost Age add a lot to your artifact repertoire, the compass directions add a lot to your setting, scroll of the monk adds a lot of martial arts styles...

Erith
2010-07-01, 10:37 PM
Lunars

lunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslu narslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarsluna rslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunars lunarslunarslunars

Manual of exalted power: the lunars. Easily my single favorite exalt type.

Although I do hear that graceful wicked masks is an interesting read, even if you don't plan on playing fair folk.

Kylarra
2010-07-01, 10:45 PM
Lunars

lunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslu narslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarsluna rslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunarslunars lunarslunarslunars

Manual of exalted power: the lunars. Easily my single favorite exalt type.

Although I do hear that graceful wicked masks is an interesting read, even if you don't plan on playing fair folk.I do like lunars, but they're the most annoying exalt to stat up, possibly contending only infernals.

Erith
2010-07-01, 10:50 PM
why, because they are attribute based? I actually prefer that to ability based. Less excellencies to buy.

What make infernals so annoying?

Kylarra
2010-07-01, 10:54 PM
why, because they are attribute based? I actually prefer that to ability based. Less excellencies to buy.

What make infernals so annoying?Yozi based charms.

Less excellencies to buy, more annoying finding the charm amidst the 9 attributes.

The Tygre
2010-07-01, 10:55 PM
Second for Lunars. Just be sure to find one of the several... dozen homebrew point redistributions online if you plan on having them roll with Solars.

Erith
2010-07-01, 10:57 PM
True. It gets really annoying trying to find soak charms but only coming up with you digest everything and sleep for as long as you want and naturally produce alcohol in your blood charms.

Second for Lunars. Just be sure to find one of the several... dozen homebrew point redistributions online if you plan on having them roll with Solars.

And this. 8 slots to divide between both knacks and charms is not enough, ever.

Kylarra
2010-07-01, 11:00 PM
True. It gets really annoying trying to find soak charms but only coming up with you digest everything and sleep for as long as you want and naturally produce alcohol in your blood charms.

And this. 8 slots to divide between both knacks and charms is not enough, ever.To be fair, I am slightly burned out from statting up 3 lunars for my exalted game tomorrow so, it's a bit of a sore spot. :smallredface:

Woot Spitum
2010-07-02, 12:06 AM
So, the Lunar book seems to be the most popular choice, but is there a particular reason to get them before the other exalt types? I would like to get a book that can provide some material for antagonists, as well as some more weapons, armor, and items. At the same time I would like to get another type of exalted book.

Lunars and Sidereals interest me most, but Dragonblooded might be useful fodder for early antagonists.

Kylarra
2010-07-02, 12:14 AM
Lunars are just cool. If you do end up getting the DB book, I would highly recommend buying the Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier .pdf which fixes many of the charms for DBs.

Malificus
2010-07-02, 12:16 AM
I like the Sidereal book.

Plus, if you need enemies, look no further. Sidereals are their own worst enemy!

Kylarra
2010-07-02, 12:17 AM
I like the Sidereal book.

Plus, if you need enemies, look no further. Sidereals are their own worst enemy!In groups anyway.

Erith
2010-07-02, 12:17 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with siderials.

I love the fluff (filling out paperwork, heh heh) but hate them in play. Though that may just be my storyteller.

Im still not too sure about the dragonblooded. I have the book, but am not too crazy for them. It has some nice setting information if you want to play in the realm, though.

Kylarra
2010-07-02, 12:19 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with siderials.

I love the fluff (filling out paperwork, heh heh) but hate them in play. Though that may just be my storyteller.

Im still not too sure about the dragonblooded. I have the book, but am not too crazy for them. It has some nice setting information if you want to play in the realm, though.The thing about DBs is that you can throw an unlimited* number of them at your players without straining their suspension of disbelief as to why there are so many of them involved in the plots around them.

*as compared to the potentially 300 Lunars, 145 other Solars, 100 Abyssals, 100 Sidereals, or 50 Infernals. Admittedly Lunars aren't so bad, but the others are probability straining.

Erith
2010-07-02, 12:25 AM
My st loves bringing up siderials. I keep a running tally, just waiting for him to screw up on numbering. I'm at 46, including the leaders from canon, a little over half the total that are currently exalted.