PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Orky Artifacts

Deth Muncher
2010-07-02, 12:39 AM
First, let me clarify. I mean orks, not orcs. Got it? Good. (That is to say, 40k/WHFB versus Tolkien.)

So, a good friend of mine (who shall remain nameless on these forums) (and no, I don't mean Nameless) recently presented me with the following build:

The WAAAGH Lord

Half Orc Barbarian 3/Fighter4/Half Orc Paragon 3/Frenzied Berserker 10
1: Extra Rage
2: Power Attack
3: Destructive Rage
5: Cleave
6: Intimidating Rage
9: Instantanious Rage
12: Imperious Command
15: Leadership
18: Might Makes Right

ACFs:
Barbarian: Spirit Lion Totem, Wolf Totem, Trap Killer
Fighter: Resolute ACF

Items:

Breastplate of Command
Fearsome armor enchantment
Cloak of Charisma
Circlet of Pusuasion
Pale Green Ioun Stone
Stone of Good Luck
Let that sink in for a sec.

Kay. Now. Being the fan of Warhammer that I am, and running a campaign like I am, I'm going to throw him at the party (once they level up a lot). (Also, I included the build just for you guys who love 40k, because, hey, why not.) Since this campaign is roughly centered around "get every effing artifact you can so you can stop the big bad," what's something that fits? What's something (or somethings) that just scream orky artifacts to you? I'm thinking some sort of sword, or maybe something else. I dunno. Thoughts?

Prodan
2010-07-02, 12:45 AM
... is the plan to incite a frenzy in as many followers as possible?

How are you going to make it so they won't all kill themselves when they're out of enemies?

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-02, 12:49 AM
If you're allowing level buy off, I suggest sneaking in a few templates to that guy to make him more able to emulate a 40k Ork. Like Fast Healing.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-02, 12:53 AM
... is the plan to incite a frenzy in as many followers as possible?

How are you going to make it so they won't all kill themselves when they're out of enemies?

See, that's just the thing. It's in character for 40k orks to go kill themselves when they've run out of targets.

If you're allowing level buy off, I suggest sneaking in a few templates to that guy to make him more able to emulate a 40k Ork. Like Fast Healing.

I've often wondered, how exactly does buyoff work?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-07-02, 12:53 AM

Wait... would that be a problem?

mabriss lethe
2010-07-02, 12:57 AM
I'd add the Streetfighter ACF from the cityscape WE. Lose DR gain some nasty charging abilities.

tyckspoon
2010-07-02, 01:00 AM
I've often wondered, how exactly does buyoff work?

A Handy Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm)

Short answer: At certain points when leveling, you may choose to use your accumulated XP to lower your Level Adjustment instead of taking an additional class level. This leaves you temporarily lower level, but ultimately leaves you much closer to the average party XP count than if you hadn't done it. (For example: If you buy off LA 1, it will cost you 3,000 XP. Carry that forward to level 20, and you're still 3,000 XP behind [if playing XP by RAW, you will be something more like a couple a hundred and may actually have more XP than your party.] If you hadn't bought off the LA, you would be effectively 19,000 XP behind with your null level.)

That said.. if you're building an NPC to challenge your party, you are supposed to be concerned with CR, not LA, which is usually a significantly different modifier on the templates.

Deth Muncher
2010-07-02, 01:06 AM
A Handy Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm)

Short answer: At certain points when leveling, you may choose to use your accumulated XP to lower your Level Adjustment instead of taking an additional class level. This leaves you temporarily lower level, but ultimately leaves you much closer to the average party XP count than if you hadn't done it. (For example: If you buy off LA 1, it will cost you 3,000 XP. Carry that forward to level 20, and you're still 3,000 XP behind [if playing XP by RAW, you will be something more like a couple a hundred and may actually have more XP than your party.] If you hadn't bought off the LA, you would be effectively 19,000 XP behind with your null level.)

That said.. if you're building an NPC to challenge your party, you are supposed to be concerned with CR, not LA, which is usually a significantly different modifier on the templates.

OHAI thanks. But you're right, I'd be more worried about the CR of his encounter. I'm not quite sure what his stats are going to be, but assuming that he's got a leadership score of, oh, 25, he'll have:
135 1st level Orks.
13 2nd level Orks.
7 3rd level Orks.
4 4th level Orks.
2 5th level Orks.
2 6th level Orks.
And a 17th level Cohort, who I may not have ALSO take leadership, and tada.

Point being there'll be swathes of Orks for the PCs to kill to get to the artifact - which is the point of this in the first place (but I appreciate the build help).

So, I reiterate. Any ridiculous artifacts that fit the bloodthirstiness of orks?

chiasaur11
2010-07-02, 01:08 AM
Wait... would that be a problem?

Can't see why.

Orkz are made for fightin' and winnin'. Nothing there about stoppin' fightin'.

ZaradAnNasr
2010-07-02, 01:19 AM
Guurgal from the book Weapons of Legacy.

depending on your ork's level, he could gain all of the following in addition to having the spear that Gruumsh used against that pansy elf god what took his eye.

Show of Force: may use Mirror image as the spell
incite horde: Gives a +1 bonus on attack rolls and saving throws to all orcs orks within 30 feet, except the weilder
Gather the Horde: +5 bonus on Diplomacy and INtimidate checks used to influence orcs orks
Battlefield Fury: +2 morale bonus to strength so long as he is leading at least 3 orcs orks
Rage of the Boar: A seperate rage affect, lasts 10 rounds, gives +6 STR +6con and +3 to WILL saves.

mabriss lethe
2010-07-02, 01:25 AM
maybe a mask of blood or cloak of predatory vigor.

Gorilla2038
2010-07-02, 01:30 AM
The build wont be as good, but the Warchief PrC from mini's fits nicely. Gives huge boosts to folowers, ending in +10 strength. As well, the charisma bumps give you more WAAAGH energy!

mabriss lethe
2010-07-02, 01:42 AM
The build wont be as good, but the Warchief PrC from mini's fits nicely. Gives huge boosts to folowers, ending in +10 strength. As well, the charisma bumps give you more WAAAGH energy!

Tangent: *reads warchief* Wow. That would be an amazing half of a gestalt for a charisma based caster. Bard/sublime chord//marshal/warchief anyone?