PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Sarin

Pages : [1] 2

Rizban
2010-07-02, 01:58 AM
Sarin's room is 10ft by 10ft and has a dirty straw mattress crawling with insects stuffed against the back wall. The room is otherwise empty.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 02:16 AM
To be on the safe side, Sarin invokes See the Unseen, and looks around. For added measure, she detects magic as well.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 02:19 AM
She finds nothing.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 02:23 AM
Satisfied, she heads over and looks down with disgust at the bed. Still, it was better than nothing. Rather than sitting on it, though, she sat down in the far corner from the door, leaning against the wall, and waited, re-invoking See the Unseen as necessary.

If nobody came within a few hours, she would lay out her bedroll on the mattress and go to sleep, after locking the door of course.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 02:24 AM
No one comes in. The lock on the door looks horribly substandard... she's lucky it even works at all.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 02:33 AM
Frustrated with the horrible room, she wonders if she was being set up to be robbed.

Deciding on a course of action, she creates an Arcane Mark on the wall opposite the door, a large, bloody warning, DEATH, that looks like it is dripping and oozing, written as if in blood.

Satisfied with her warning, she checks that the lock is as good as she can make it, and heads to the bed. Laying out her bedroll, she lays down to go to sleep, checking to make sure her gold pouch is secure.

She lies there an hour longer before letting herself sleep, just in case.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 02:41 AM
The room is just trashy. She's lucky to have a leak free roof over her head. Most people visiting the docks either sleep on their boats or head to some other part of town to sleep. Only the roughest and poorest rent rooms here, but they usually just sleep on the street. There's no incentive to have better accommodations available.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 02:45 AM
When nobody shows up, Sarin drifts off to sleep.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 02:50 AM
She sleeps well through the night, except for once when she partially awakens to the sound of a bar fight below. No one disturbs her.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 03:18 PM
Waking in the morning, she gathers her things and cancels her arcane mark from the night before. She unlocks the door and heads back to the bar.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 06:58 PM
A man bumps into you going the other direction down the hallway. He seems slightly drunk.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 07:56 PM
Sarin instinctively checks her belongings with one hand, and takes hold of the man's arm with the other.

"Hey man, you ought to be more careful. You could have bumped into someone who'd have killed you for that. You got a room here? I'll help you get back there without getting yourself killed."

Rizban
2010-07-02, 08:14 PM
She doesn't notice anything missing.

"Huh?"

Rentok
2010-07-02, 08:22 PM
She sighs, "You're drunk. You shoved me. A lot of guys would have killed you for that. I'm makin' sure you don't get yourself killed."

Rizban
2010-07-02, 08:36 PM
He puts his arm around your shoulders.

"Tanks, purdy lady."

Rentok
2010-07-02, 08:40 PM
She glares at him, but surprisingly, doesn't bother knocking him out.

"Don't push your luck. You're lucky I'm in a good mood, or you'd be roasted right now, drunk or no."

She tries to help him to his room.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 09:23 PM
He stumbles to a room down the hall. It is identical to yours except for a large bag which apparently belongs to him.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 09:31 PM
She walks him over and dumps him on the bed.

"Watch yourself, next time you might not be so lucky."

She checks her things again as she turns to leave.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 09:54 PM
He passes out. Nothing is missing.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 10:40 PM
Sarin shakes her head and closes the door behind her as she leaves. She turns and heads back to the bar, muttering about drunken oafs.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 10:53 PM
The patrons of the bar ignore her. The bartender avoids your gaze in an attempt to have you not come back. They all seem to still be intimidated by you.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 11:06 PM
Sarin sighs audibly.

"You've got to be joking. A room full of some of the toughest guys in town, and they're scared out of their wits." She turns to the nearest man at the bar and prods him with her finger, "Hey you, what's wrong with you?"

Rizban
2010-07-02, 11:23 PM
His body is entirely stiff. As you prod him, he becomes unbalanced and topples to the floor, where he remains frozen in the same position he was while seated at the bar. You suddenly realize that no one in the room is moving...

Rentok
2010-07-02, 11:28 PM
Sarin takes a moment to think.

OK, so... wait, it's morning. I doubt word of me has stuck around THAT long after I left. Are these the same people who were here last night?

She looks around to see if anything has changed from the night before, apart from the guy she just knocked to the floor being on the floor.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 11:33 PM
Very little has changed, though a few of the patrons are different. The lanterns in the building are off, as would be expected during the day, but they look as if they burned out of oil rather than being extinguished.

Rentok
2010-07-02, 11:34 PM
OK, so not much has changed since I left... She tries to remember if anyone moved since she walked in the room this morning, other than the guy she knocked over.

Rizban
2010-07-02, 11:47 PM
She didn't really take much note of the exact positions of each patron, and most of them are dirty dockworkers. It's hard to really tell one from the rest.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 12:14 AM
((OOC: No, like... if any of them DID anything since she entered. Like, somebody coughing, or the barmaid walking around waiting tables. Basically, were they frozen when she entered the room, or not.))

Rizban
2010-07-03, 12:25 AM
The room is definitely different. They were not frozen in place earlier when you arrived. Something must have happened after you fell asleep.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 12:50 AM
((OOC: No... I mean... When she walked in after dumping the drunk guy on his bed were they already frozen, or were people still doing things. Sorry if I was unclear on that.))

Rizban
2010-07-03, 01:08 AM
No one was moving when you walked in.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 01:21 AM
Sarin shakes her head.

So they were frozen last night. Probably shortly after I left. So then who... Wait, that man upstairs, he wasn't frozen... Was he responsible? More importantly, do I care? This is a golden opportunity, assuming they can't see me... Well, no helping that.

She moves about the room, searching the people frozen there for anything of value. As she does this, she has a thought.

That bag... maybe he was the one responsible for this, and did just what I'm about to do... If enough of these people has been robbed already, he has to have robbed the place.

She decides to only search the people at the bar, not those seated around the room.

Search: (+2)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-03, 02:10 AM
The people at the bar seem to have been robbed of everything of value. The majority of their drinks also appear to have been removed from their hands and drunk.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 02:33 AM
Looks like it WAS him. Too bad he went and got drunk afterward and passed out. The loot's probably all in that bag of his, and his door's not locked.

She quietly headed up to his room to steal the bag. If he woke, she could just claim to be on her way out after laying him down.

Move Silently: (-4)
[roll0]
Bluff: (+11)
[roll1]

Rizban
2010-07-03, 02:39 AM
He sleeps soundly.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 03:22 PM
She creeps in quietly and takes the bag, careful not to make too much noise, she heads back to the bar, her twice-stolen loot in tow.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 04:59 PM
You succeed in taking the bag without waking him.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 07:57 PM
Sarin decides it's best to leave, now, before something happens. She can go over the loot later, for now, it's enough that she's much richer, without any risk. The people in the room were robbed by the drunken man, she only robbed him. With any luck, and the proper motivation, they'd kill him in revenge and he'd never even know it was her that stole the stuff.

She'd have written a note complaining to the barkeep that she'd been robbed too, but she didn't have anything to write with. Before leaving, she glances around to see if there is any available way to write such a note. If not, she'll simply head off back into town with her loot. If she finds something, she will hastily write out the following.

You need to increase security. I've been robbed in my sleep. The only reason your inn still stands is because judging by your current frozen nature, you've likely been robbed as well. I expect better security from an inn, even in this part of the city. As it is, I've retrieved my belongings from the drunken man passed out in one of your rooms. The door to his room remains unlocked. I suspect he robbed the rest of the patrons as well, though when I found him returning to his room all he had on him were my things. You may wish to question him as to the rest. That's not my business.

If she writes the note, she will scrunch it up and place it in the barkeeper's pocket, then head off back into town with her loot.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 08:10 PM
She writes the note on a leaflet of paper she finds behind the bar and stuffs it into the barkeep's pocket and leaves with her loot.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 08:15 PM
Without anywhere in particular in mind, Sarin simply heads of towards the center of the city, trying to find a nice isolated place to go over her loot.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 08:20 PM
There are any number of back alleys, taverns, shops, private homes, and other places she could duck into for a bit of privacy. If she's looking for a specific type of place, she'll have to be more specific.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 08:26 PM
Sarin waits until she is out of that part of the city before finding either a small and untraveled alley with sufficient shadows to hide herself, or, preferably, a shop with few people inside.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 09:20 PM
She finds a small rope maker's shop with no one inside. Apparently, the owner has stepped out for a moment but will likely be back quickly.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 09:45 PM
She passes it by and continues searching. Thinking her loot is probably more along the lines of jewelery and weapons. She searches for a shop that might purchase something she likely has, or accept it in trade. Or any sort of shop, she only passes the ropemaker's by because she doesn't want to be mistaken for a burglar.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 10:01 PM
She passes a blacksmith, a carpenter, and a pawn shop in addition to several private homes on this street. There are several shadowed alleys as well which look seldom traveled.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 10:03 PM
She enters the pawn shop and looks around. Thinking this is probably the best place to sell everything at once. She has a thought to test the weight of the bag, to try and figure out how much loot to expect.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 10:05 PM
It's somewhat heavy, and she notices it is also fairly soft when prodded.

The pawnbroker is busy with another customer and waves to you to wait a moment as you enter.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 10:07 PM
Not one to take unnecessary risks, Sarin invokes detect magic and see the unseen, and inspects the bag.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 10:30 PM
She finds 238 copper pieces, 57 silver pieces, 6 gold pieces, a number of articles of clothing, such as hats, belts, gloves, and other loose articles, several belt pouches, a few rings, and three bottles of wine, one of which is half empty.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 10:39 PM
Sarin frowns a little at the small haul, but, in hopes of finding more value, checks everything carefully for magic, invoking detect magic as often as necessary.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 10:40 PM
Nothing magical

Rentok
2010-07-03, 10:42 PM
She checks to see if any of the belt pouches has anything in it, then straps one to a belt and puts it on. She takes the rest of the items to the pawnbroker when he is free, stuffing the coins with her own money.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 10:50 PM
The belt pouches are where she found most of the coin.

He flips the the articles of clothing, picks out some of the ones in better condition and offers you 8 gold for the lot. The others aren't worth keeping.

He offers her 6 gold total for the rings, 3 gold for the lot of pouches, and 10 gold for the two sealed wine bottles. He's not interested in the open bottle.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 11:00 PM
Sarin accepts the gold, making sure the pouch she kept was securely in front of her so as to avoid having it stolen. She takes the opened bottle back, and the bag, stuffing the remaining clothes inside that he wouldn't purchase, and thanking him for his time.

She stepped back onto the street, slinging her new sack over her shoulder and looked around for some sort of sign.

Spot: (+1)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-03, 11:12 PM
She sees a sign.

Today's Special
Barbecue Pork
2sp

:smallbiggrin:

Rentok
2010-07-03, 11:16 PM
She sighs at the heavens.

"I was thinking more like, an omen, or some sort of guiding event... Not cheap bacon."

Shaking her head, she looks around again, for any omens or such. Or maybe a pig running down the road. Maybe this sign WAS the omen.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 11:32 PM
While sighing up to the heavens, she sees a pig shaped cloud. The cast of the sunlight even makes it look a little pink.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 11:40 PM
A little surprised at this, she checks out what lays in the direction of the cloud.

This is highly unlikely. Probably a coincidence, but it seems unlikely. I don't think I can ignore this without having it gnaw at my mind. I want to find out for sure.

Rizban
2010-07-03, 11:52 PM
In the direction of the cloud is the river and Pier 1.

Rentok
2010-07-03, 11:59 PM
Deciding she has nothing better to do, Sarin heads to Pier 1 to see what's going on, unless it would be heading back to the inn she recently left.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 12:00 AM
Pier 1 is down a street which runs perpendicular to the street she was on traveling away from the Inn. Instead of going west, she is now going north towards the pier.

There seems to be two thugs standing guard at the pier, acting as if they own the place.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 12:03 AM
Sarin ditches the sack of rags nearby, but pulls out the half-empty wine bottle and keeps it in hand as she approaches the guards.

"Hey there, fellas. What'cha doin'?"

Diplomacy: (+7)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-04, 12:08 AM
"Guardin'"

He smiles at her.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 12:14 AM
Sarin smiles back, hiding her disgust.

"Guardin' huh? What ya guardin'?"

She shakes the bottle a little, "I think I've had too mucha thish stuff... I'm feelin' a little tipsy. You guys wanna take the rest o' it?"

[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-04, 12:24 AM
"The pier."

They look at each other for a second, then the first turns back to you.

"I'd love to, lady, but the boss, he'd kill us if we done that. I don't mean that figurtive like neither. Maybe you stick around 'til we get off for the night, yeah?"

Rentok
2010-07-04, 12:32 AM
She shakes her head, "Oh sir, I wouldn't want ta get ya in trouble. If'n it's all the same to ya though, I'll have ta be goin'. I'd sure like ta wait fer yas, but I'm afraid I don't have all night."

She turns to go, but then thinks better of it and looks past the men.

"Waz sho import'nt about thish peer that ya gotta guard it?"

Rizban
2010-07-04, 12:38 AM
"I don't right know... I know we just took it back from them nasty Skulks a day or so ago."

Rentok
2010-07-04, 03:35 AM
"So yous jus' guardin' a peer b'cause ya been ordered ta? I gotta admire yer sense o' duty. I'd best be goin' though. I got stuff ta do." She sets the bottle down by them. "I really drank too mucha thish stuff... Yous can has it. Jus' don't get caught."

She wobbled away, falling against a wall once for good measure. When she'd left the guards behind she sighed. That was wholly unsatisfying. She was beginning to think there might not be any place to work in this town. Well, if she'd been to intimidating for the docks, and the guards at the pier weren't corrupt, it was time to get into the city proper and see if she couldn't find some sort of work. If worst came to worst, and she couldn't find work, a spree of serial killings would have to suffice.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 03:52 AM
Spree of serial killings sounds fun. :smallbiggrin:
That would quickly lead to having a number of PCs up against you though...

Rentok
2010-07-04, 04:06 AM
Not if I leave no trace and the murders go unsolved. That said, I would much rather find some sort of... middle ground. Though if I could situate myself inside a group within the city, and murder people from there... Who suspects the hobo living in the alley of serial murder?

Rizban
2010-07-04, 04:26 AM
She notices what appears to be a man-sized rat peering out of one of the alleys as she walks past. When she stops to take a second look, all she sees is a hairless tail disappearing around the corner.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 04:28 AM
Intrigued, she steps over to the alley. Curious, but not foolish. She makes sure to invoke see the unseen before venturing into the alleyway, and is on her guard for trouble.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 04:30 AM
She sees a little bit of trash and debris piled up next to a decaying crate. It appears to be the abandoned home of a street bum. There is nothing else of interest.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 04:44 AM
She carefully, and cautiously, combs the alley from top to bottom, searching for a few things.

1) Any other ways in or out.
2) That big rat.
3) Any other occupants.
4) Something to tell her how long it has been since the hobo has been here.
5) Some rags and such she could use to disguise herself as a hobo, if necessary.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 04:51 AM
The alley turns sharply to the right about 40 feet from the entrance.

There is no sign of the big rat thing nor anyone else.

It's hard to tell how long it has been since the hobo last slept here, because she has no idea how weathered and beaten the scraps were before being placed here as a makeshift bed. There isn't enough material to make anything more than a shabby loincloth.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 11:21 AM
Cautiously Sarin rounds the corner, giving it a wide berth and moving slowly, expecting some sort of attack. She attemps to hide in the shadows, and move as quietly as possible.

Hide: (-4)
[roll0]
Move Silently: (-4)
[roll1]

Rizban
2010-07-04, 06:25 PM
She stumbles over a loose stone and makes a good bit of noise, ended up around the corner without being stealthy at all.

Fortunately, there is no one there. She does manage to spot the grate for a storm drain just as it slides back into place and hear someone or something take off running underground.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 06:54 PM
She checks out the rest of the alley just as she had checked out the first, and sees what she can do about securing the storm grate. It would be a useful escape route, if necessary, but she didn't want to have anything sneaking up behind her if she decided to make camp here.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 07:17 PM
The alley dead ends into the back of a warehouse, and there are no other exits save the sewer or climbing to the roofs.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 07:25 PM
She pulls and shoves the grate to see if she can budge it, then she will attempt to lock it shut, before setting about trying to gather refuse to pile in front of it to block it off, whether or not she is able to lock it.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 08:03 PM
The grate is a bit heavy, but it slides free easily and soundlessly. It appears to have been freshly oiled to prevent it from making a sound when opened. There is no visible means to lock it shut.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 08:19 PM
Sarin tries her best to jam the grate shut. With nothing else she can do for it right now, she checks the size of it, to determine how much of a risk the grate is.

Afterwards, she makes an effort to move the abandoned hobo's home back past the bend to this new section of alley, not visible from the mouth of the alley, without damaging it if possible.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 08:39 PM
The grate is just large enough for a small creature to pass through with ease or a medium creature to squeeze through with a little difficulty.

You drag the scraps of cloth and detritus and the decaying crate back into the alley. It stays intact well enough, though a few small pieces do come loose. You won't stay dry in the rain, but it's at least marginally more comfortable than the ground.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 08:46 PM
Making absolute sure she knows where the place is, she makes an invisible Arcane Mark at the opening of the alley, on the road a little. Her personal rune, a flaming tulip.

That done, she heads out to look for a shop that might carry a tarp, or some other such thing she can use to improve her home. As well as something to secure the grate. She keeps her eye out for things that could help her pass as a homeless person, rags, ash, and the like.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 09:07 PM
I'm going to go ahead and give you 500xp for creativity and roleplaying.

On a totally different note, it is also possible to purchase a home in this game if you find yourself wanting one.

She marks the entrance to her home and sets off. She finds a merchant willing to sell her a bit of material from a ship's old sail leftover from when it was replaced by a new one. It's likely the most weather resistant material she will find at a good price. He offers the 9 square yards of material to you for 1gp.

It's likely that some of the articles of clothing she already has in her sack that the pawnbroker wouldn't buy could help her disguise if torn a little or rubbed in dirt. She recalls there being two scarves and a pair of gloves which would be quite useful, particularly if she cut a finger or two off of the gloves to give them that authentic worn out hobo look.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 09:23 PM
She smiles and thanks him, handing over a gold piece for the material. She asks if he knows of a place she could purchase some bells and other alarm devices such as one might use when camping in the wilderness to warn of the approach of bears, or bandits.

I was thinking, why should I purchase a building, when I can easily make myself a veritable fortress in an alley, with all the benefits of a home, short of safe storage, but none of the assassination worries. And eventually I think I may build up a shack of sorts or something, and I'll eventually deal with that dreadful storm drain. As I gain coin, I;ll purchase traps and the like to protect my alleyway.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 09:41 PM
He points you back to the pawnshop and suggests you're most likely to find odds and ends there.

If you're interested in buying traps, know that Punchinello specializes in traps. That's how most of his enemies have met their ends...

Rentok
2010-07-04, 09:56 PM
She thanks him, passes him three copper pieces in thanks and heads off to the pawnshop to inquire after bells and other alarms again.

Good to know. What sort of pricing are we looking at? I mean, I certainly can't afford it yet, but I'd like to know when I should stop by. Probably before my murder spree, yet after I do a few assassination or bodyguard jobs. Which I will soon have to acquire. I just hope there are other way sto get a job than visiting the Maid and the Mermaid.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 10:44 PM
There are quite a few places to find jobs and quests. You've actually missed three plot hooks already... Sometimes they aren't very obvious and sometimes they are. Almost everything you encounter is potential for a job or quest or something, if you just pursue it.

Just please don't be like the guy who quit because all he was doing was Profession checks then complained about me railroading him into the Maid and Mermaid even after I provided no fewer than 6 job opportunities and specifically pointed them out as such.

The Maid and Mermaid is there for people who either want to get straight into the action or who aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own. Also, it's good for finding small jobs to do on the side. There's no rule against having more than one job at a time, provided your character has enough hours in the day to do them all.

He shows her several tin bells, offering them at 1gp each. He also has a few balls of twine for sale, selling those at 1sp per 50ft.

As to trap pricing, it depends on what you want.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 10:53 PM
She purchases a ball of 50ft of twine, and five tin bells. She asks if he has anything louder than bells, and also asks if he has any bear traps.

Let me guess... The guy who wanted to walk me to my room, the guards, and the rat? I noticed them, I'm just being careful in what I choose, and trying to stay with my character's personality. I'm not going to quit because I'm missing plot hooks. I felt it was too risky facing the guy in private, since he could have easily grappled me, and I'm basically helpless in that situation. My character doesn't like guards, she would have gone after what they were guarding, but it was just a pier. The rat looked dangerous, nonsentient, and I've had bad experiences with areas designed for creatures a size lower than myself. I'm not going to quit, and I don't blame you.

Hmm... An alarm, possibly with sonic damage. A trap that holds within it the power of one of my spells or incantations (like spell storing). And maybe a fear-spell trap for good measure.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 11:02 PM
Well, you identified two of them.

The third was actually going to be inside with the cheap barbecue. To be completely honest, I had no idea what I was going to do with your character, so I was just posting the first thing that came to mind each time you posted up until you mentioned looking for a sign. I'm a little surprised that it turned out as internally consistent as it did...

Now I'm just dropping random hooks in the the 7 or 8 little storylines going on in the Docks district until you pick one or move to another area.

"Nah, I can't think of anything louder at the moment.

We don't carry traps or weapons here. I don't have a license for buying and selling of lethal goods."

Rentok
2010-07-04, 11:16 PM
She nods. "Ah, that's OK. I'll probably have to rig up something on my own. Thanks for the bells."

She heads back to her alley and ties the bells to the grate, out of sight from the inside of the tunnel. That way, if the grate is opened, the bells should alert her.

After that, she rigs up the tarp to make sure her meager home is rainproof. All that done, she tosses her sack of rags into the home, and heads back out to the road. She flips a coin to decide which way to go.

It's alright. just keep dropping random hooks. Eventually I'm bound to find one that works. Right now my character is leaving her direction up to chance (That's you), so you can head her off towards a convenient hook that you think might work, or whatnot. Or I could physically flip a coin, if you'd prefer.

Rizban
2010-07-04, 11:28 PM
I know you're interested in some sort of assassination attempt, but what kind of adventure are you wanting? Do you want to do a straight up attack, a stealthy reconnaissance mission, a social encounter where you have to talk your way in, a solving a mystery of some sort, a dungeon crawl, or what? I've got plots for basically anything you want to do.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 11:33 PM
Got anything along the lines of climbing my way through the ranks of a cult/guild by doing various assassination assignments for them? Either that or some sniper/backup missions, where my job is to assist another assassin by being their sniper or backup?

Rizban
2010-07-04, 11:40 PM
Strangely enough, another player just started up a pseudo cult...

Also, there's some insane priests of Nerull who just want to kill everyone.

There are some other players who are quietly looking for assassin allies for a quest.

You could also take up work with an NPC assassin if you wanted to do that.

Rentok
2010-07-04, 11:47 PM
All that in the docks? Really? Well... The Nerull Priests are out, since I'd probably end up dead doing that. The Pseudo Cult is intriguing, but probably not powerful enough yet to have that many ranks to climb. I'll give it a shot, though. I'm not sure what to expect from this, but I'll go for the Pseudo Cult, and maybe between myself and this other player, we can get the darn thing going. Not sure how much a PC can afford to pay, though. Still, I won't know which char is the PC, right? I like not knowing. Obviously it's someone higher in the "cult" than me, but hopefully there are a lot of people like that.

Pseudo Cult it is, assuming they don't have strange rules like "no girls allowed" or "you must be a religious fanatic" I want, whatever I'm doing, to be basically a contract killer, rising through a group because I perform their contracts reliably.

Rizban
2010-07-05, 12:14 AM
A man approaches you as you are leaving your alley, his dark black and blue clothing hides his body, and a hood covers most of his head. What you can see of his face is so pale as to be almost white and has a soul patch on his bottom lip. He wears dark glasses which hide his eyes, though you are occasionally able to glimpse them, noticing they are glassy red orbs with no pupil.

"Hey, I see you're out on the streets. I know a nice place you can come live that's warm and dry and has good food. We don't ask too much of you in return either."

Rentok
2010-07-05, 12:24 AM
Sarin considers for a moment. She has spent some work on this hovel, and, though it is still just a musty alleyway, it's as much home as she has in this city, as much home as anyone could have. She is reluctant to leave it, but this strange man intrigues her. She shakes her head, and replies.

"Such comforts you may have, but I like my home, bleak as it is. Still..." She pauses, "I do wonder what sort of man offers such comforts to a stranger, unless you are thinking of taking advantage of a poor woman in need. You don't strike me as the sort, though. I am no fool. What do you offer, and what do you request?"

Rizban
2010-07-05, 12:26 AM
"My patron's husband was recently slaughtered in cold blood. I avenged that death, and now she wants to use her finances to help the less fortunate. Of course, we ask that those who are slightly more fortunate amongst the less fortunate to contribute what they can to help out."

Rentok
2010-07-05, 12:35 AM
She shakes her head.

"I do not care much for charity. I have my talents, and they serve me well enough. If you require some assistance avenging any other deaths, then maybe I can help you. My talents do not lie in the preserving of lives."

She attempts to pass the hidden message that her skills lie in the ending of lies.

Bluff (hidden message): (+11)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-05, 12:38 AM
"Well, we're collecting blood...
All members are required to give 1/14th of 1 pint of blood each day. Any additional blood gathered from willing participants would be most beneficial.

See, we're establishing a blood bank to aid those who have lost blood through trauma, so we don't want blood taking from the unwilling."

Rentok
2010-07-05, 12:46 AM
"I apologize. Your pursuit is... noble. To be sure. However... I find myself with a vast dislike for noble pursuits. By your appearance, I had hoped you might have a more sinister motive. Something by which I could get some small revenge on this accursed city. Perhaps something profitable. If I want to do a good deed, I'll join a clergy."

She sighs and leans against the wall.

"For a city that devastated my life those years ago, I'm finding this place is too full of morality for my taste."

Rizban
2010-07-05, 12:55 AM
He looks around quickly.

"Well, maybe the mistress wouldn't mind too much is the blood wasn't taken... willingly. Just don't tell her, and you're hired."

Rentok
2010-07-05, 02:27 PM
Sarin shook her head in disappointment. This had looked promising, but charity work was most definitely NOT what she wanted. Even killing people lost its appeal when it was for a charity like this. Still... there was a chance, just a chance, that the charity was just a facade. She'd have to determine that for sure before making her decision.

"I'd like to meet this mistress before making my decision, if it's all the same to you. Or at the very least someone who knows more than you do."

Rizban
2010-07-06, 01:18 AM
"I can take you to meet her If you wish. I must confess that I don't know why exactly she wants five gallons of blood in a milk can, but she does."

Rentok
2010-07-06, 01:25 AM
Sarin nods. "Take me to her, then."

Rizban
2010-07-07, 05:33 AM
He leads you back to his mistress, entering into a rather nice house which belongs to one of the lesser noble families. He proceeds inside but stops on the way to pick up a 5 gallon milk jug filled with blood. He then proceeds up the stairs, carrying the jug into where the woman sits in a simple wooden chair, staring at the wall. He sets down the milk can and stands there silently.

Rentok
2010-07-07, 12:55 PM
Sarin stands slightly behind the milk jug, and off to the side a ways. She nods to the woman on the chair.

"So, you're the person in charge of this... charity." She laces that last word with obvious distaste, "I can't help but wonder why you need so much blood. Surely a bloodbank does not see so many fatally wounded as would need so much surgery."

Rizban
2010-07-07, 03:47 PM
The woman bends her head back over the chair until it is completely upside down and just grins at you. You notice blood stains on her teeth. Finally she stands, turns, and straightens.

"Don't you look... tasty. Bank? What bank? I shall have my vengeance on all who oppose me!"

She points to the top of the main entry's door frame and grins. Mounted atop the door on a spike attached to a silver platter is the head of the man who killed her husband.

"All will pay for what happened to me." She cackles madly, and you realize her mind is thoroughly broken.

Rentok
2010-07-07, 09:33 PM
Sarin grins and giggles maniacally.

"Now this is more to my liking. I will gladly help end the lives of all those that oppose you."

Sarin kneels and bows her head to show respect to the madwoman. As she does, she thinks things through.

She's clearly mad, and aggressive. Likely cannibalistic, and the blood his for her to drink. Plus, her condition has been caused by the city, much as mine was. I can think of no better way to get my revenge than by helping her get hers. It is poetic, even, that I have been given this opportunity.

She stands slowly, and looks back at the man that brought her in, then spoke up, to both the woman, and the man, "I'd like to remain living in my alley, but I will help with any vengeance milady desires. Though I would hope you could afford a small fee for my services. I do need to eat, and there may be costs for equipment I may need. All of my skills are at your service."

Rizban
2010-07-08, 05:26 AM
The woman agrees to pay whatever expenses are necessary for daily life but can't promise more than that at the moment.

Rentok
2010-07-08, 01:41 PM
Sarin nods and smiles, "That will do for a start. Am I allowed to take the belongings of my targets as well, or do you want those in order to increase your available funds?"

Rizban
2010-07-08, 03:49 PM
"Keep them if you want them. Bring them to me if you don't. Sell them if I don't want them."

Rentok
2010-07-08, 04:13 PM
Sarin smiled, "That is perfectly acceptable. I am anxious to get started. Do you have anyone for me to kill?"

Rizban
2010-07-08, 04:41 PM
"I need the beard of a dwarf, the left thumb of an elf, and the heart of a man hanged for murder."

Rentok
2010-07-08, 04:44 PM
Sarin paused a moment in thought before answering. "A dwarf's beard an elf's left thumb... Those should be simple enough to acquire. The heart of a man hanged for murder... That will be harder, but I will do my best. With your leave, milady." She bows and backs away.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 04:51 PM
"Oh! The elf has to still be alive. The other two, not so much."

Rentok
2010-07-08, 04:57 PM
Sarin looks up.

"Alive when I take the thumb, alive after I take the thumb, or do you just want me to kidnap the elf?"

Rizban
2010-07-08, 05:07 PM
"Yes." white text

Rentok
2010-07-08, 05:12 PM
Sarin blinked, confused. "I... Erm... What? I don't quite understand your answer..."

Rizban
2010-07-08, 05:16 PM
"Ahhh!!!"

The lady runs into the corner of the room, drops the floor, hugs her knees, and begins muttering to herself like you aren't even there.

Rentok
2010-07-08, 05:24 PM
Sarin cringes, and looks at the man in confusion.

"Uh... Did I say something wrong? I... Uh..."

She turns back and looks at the woman sadly, "Should I do something to help?"

Rizban
2010-07-08, 10:11 PM
He just shrugs and walks out of the room. Apparently, he thinks this is normal behavior for her.

Rentok
2010-07-08, 10:26 PM
Sarin looks back and forth from the door to the woman, trying to decide whether to leave or not. Unable to help herself, she heads over to the woman's huddled form and kneels down next to her. Slowly, cautiously, not wanting to make things worse, she places a hand gently on the woman's shoulder.

Rizban
2010-07-08, 10:44 PM
The woman bites at the outstretched hand but doesn't actually bite you. She then begins to sing herself a lullaby.

Rentok
2010-07-08, 11:09 PM
Sarin pauses her hand in it's outstretched position, slowly moving it to rub the woman's back comfortingly. She whispered softly, "Milady milady milady... It will all work out...

Rizban
2010-07-09, 12:01 AM
Comforted, she falls into a fitful sleep.

Rentok
2010-07-09, 11:52 AM
Not wanting to disturb her slumber, Sarin gets slowly and quietly to her feet, and leaves the room. Once through the door, she looks around for the man from earlier, hoping maybe he can shed some light on the matter of the elf.

Rizban
2010-07-09, 11:54 AM
He's gone.

Rentok
2010-07-09, 01:11 PM
Sarin sighs, and heads outside, making a mental note of the location of the building, and the way to and from the woman's room. She sets to her search. First, the hardest, yet least illegal task, the heart of a man hanged for murder. She sighs, at least it didn't have to be an innocent man hanged for murder, that would just be needlessly difficult.

She searches the city for morgues, gallows, and cemeteries, asking around if necessary.

Some rolls, if needed.
Spot: (+1)
[roll0]
Gather Info: (+5)
[roll1]
Knowledge (Local) (Untrained): (+2)
[roll2]
Listen: (+1)
[roll3]

Rizban
2010-07-10, 02:43 AM
She finds that criminals are usually executed outside of the west gate.

Rentok
2010-07-11, 01:57 AM
Sarin heads to the west gate in order to find out more.

Rizban
2010-07-11, 02:27 AM
About a quarter mile away from the gate and slightly to the north is a rocky outcropping. On the top of it are several basic implements for execution. There are several hanged men swaying softly in the breeze. A lone guard stands watch over the bodies, but this place is clearly visible to the guards patrolling the city walls.

Rentok
2010-07-11, 03:36 AM
Sarin approaches the guard on duty as if there is nothing strange about her being there. She waves to the guard as she approaches, and makes a joke in greeting.

"Hey, there. Who's hangin'?"

Oh man, I didn't think I'd EVER get to use that joke. I am SO in love with this campaign right now. I thought of that joke so long ago, when learning grade 10 Canadian History, and how Louis Riel was hung for treason. I thought that joke up about hangings, but never until now had a chance to use it.

Because the one person I tried the joke on before, having felt a need to tell someone it, di dnot understand, I feel it may be prudent to insert a sort of notice here, to help others to understand the joke. It's basically a play on the word "hanging". Instead of "How's it Hanging" I ask "Who's Hanging". And That's the joke.

In hindsight, that is probably unnecessary, and the person I initially told the joke to was just dumb. Still, it's all in spoilertags.

Rizban
2010-07-11, 07:47 AM
I found it to be quite funny and didn't need the explanation. :smallbiggrin:

The guard just shrugs and laughs. "I'm not entirely sure. I wasn't here for the hanging, just took over the post to keep the bodies from being stolen or desecrated until the families can come claim them."

Rentok
2010-07-11, 10:58 AM
Sarin looked up at the dangling corpses as she continued talking.

"Do you know what crimes they were hanged for at least?"

Rizban
2010-07-11, 04:55 PM
"Murder, treason, treason, and jaywalking. I couldn't tell you which is which though."

Rentok
2010-07-11, 09:04 PM
Sarin steps back, as if shocked.

"Would it be alright if I spoke to the families when they get here? I was sent on an errand of utmost importance, and there is something I need."

Rizban
2010-07-11, 10:20 PM
He shrugs.

"If you don't mind the stink of corpse, then feel free."

Rentok
2010-07-11, 10:58 PM
Sarin nods and waits around for the first family to show up, or anything else of note to happen.

Rizban
2010-07-11, 11:27 PM
The sky begins to cloud over, and a light rain begins to fall. The guard on duty takes shelter underneath the gallows, beckoning you to join him.

"Well, I think the families aren't likely to come out in this. Maybe later..."

The rain picks up a bit. Visibility is significantly hampered, and you are only barely able to make out the city walls from here, meaning that should anyone be patrolling the walls, it is unlikely they can see you any better than you can see them.

Rentok
2010-07-11, 11:48 PM
Sarin curses inwardly at her luck. Right at th egallows with only one guard between her and her prize, and she doesn't know which corpse belongs to the murderer. She could take all four hearts, but that seemed... pointless. She needed to know which body belonged to a murderer.

"You say you don't know which man was hanged for which crime, but maybe you know how to tell? I would hate to have to bring that up with the families of the deceased... You see, I serve a lady back in the city. Her husband was recently poisoned. The poison is very slow acting, so he has a few days left before it kills him, but my mistress is very distraught. She found a man who can brew an antidote, but one of the ingredients is the heart of a man hanged for murder. I was hoping to ask the family of the murderer hanged here if they would allow me to take his heart, to save my mistress' husband, and I still will, but you see, I don't want to bring up greif and sorrow in the families of the others who hang here... So... Can you help me spare their sorrow?"

Rizban
2010-07-12, 12:17 AM
"Well, you have a one in four chance if you pick at random... I'm fairly certain the murderer sustained wounds when he was captured though. I think I heard something about him almost killing one of the Guard when he was arrested. You might examine the bodies and see, but I doubt any family members will brave this rain."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 12:30 AM
She nodded and proceeded to check the bodies for wounds, still talking to him.

"I have to hope they do. I need to get the heart for Master's antidote... Um... what happens to the bodies if the families don't come? Would they just stay here to rot? I mean, if the family doesn't want anything to do with the corpse, would it be alright if I took the heart, so that my mistress' husband may live?"

Rizban
2010-07-12, 12:44 AM
He remains underneath the gallows platform, where it's significantly more dry.

"Well, they generally hang for a day then are taken to the city's refuse yard and burned."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 12:49 AM
She nods, "So if they hang here long enough... would it be alright then if I just take it after the time passes? Otherwise they'd just burn, right?"

She continues searching for any wounds on the bodies.

Rizban
2010-07-12, 01:02 AM
He thinks about it for a moment.

"I can't really do that legally. You'd have to wait until it's carried to the heap then pick it up there before it's burned. Once it's trashed, it becomes fair game, I guess. I can't say I've ever dealt with this situation before."

After examining the bodies, one of them seems to have significant bruising while another one has a number of cuts of various depths in his arms and shoulders.

Rentok
2010-07-12, 01:14 AM
She looks at the guard for a moment, then looks back at the two corpses with wounds.

"Well, I certainly don't want to be breaking the law... But, what if, hypothetically, one of the bodies had been lost in transport, say it fell from the wagon and didn't get noticed in the rain? Hypothetically, of course, what would happen?" She walked over to join him under the gallows, "There's two bodies there that have recent looking wounds... what sort of weapons do the patrols usually carry?"

Rizban
2010-07-12, 01:26 AM
"We all carry clubs and longswords. They're standard issue."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 01:29 AM
Sarin sighs and looks out into the rain.

"Do you happen to know what sort of wounds the murderer received? One of those corpses is bruised a bit, the other has some cuts."

Rizban
2010-07-12, 01:30 AM
"Sorry, I sure don't."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 01:47 AM
"That's a shame... I hope the family of one of them shows up, then. Otherwise I'll have to get both hearts when they've been dumped off at the heap, and then find out which one was the murderer later."

Rizban
2010-07-12, 02:15 AM
The guard says nothing more. He accepts your bluff, but he is obviously unnerved by your cold description of cutting hearts from the dead. He eyes you suspiciously as he waits for the rain to stop.

Rentok
2010-07-12, 02:28 AM
Sarin notices his discomfort and decides to explain herself a bit more.

"Don't get the wrong idea, I don't enjoy this task. It's just, Mistress was so good to me, and her husband i sdying. I have to do everything in my power to help her save him."

Rizban
2010-07-12, 08:24 AM
"Yeah... so you said. Still, mutilating a corpse... it's just kind of gruesome..."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 02:55 PM
Sarin nods, "It's a task I'd rather not have to do, but if I don't... I have no choice in the matter, and there is no use being squemish about it. I mainly just focus on the fact that it is a murderer's corpse I must defile, and that he likely deserved no better... I am resigned to my task, however. I, err... Was also hoping I could borrow your sword, or any blade, for the task. I do not carry weapons, and I doubt I could get the heart out of a corpse with my bare hands..."

Rizban
2010-07-12, 07:08 PM
He disgustedly tosses you a dagger with a plain leather sheath.

"Just do it and go. I'd rather not dwell on this thought any longer. It starting to turn my stomach."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 08:36 PM
Sarin thanked him and approached the two corpses with wounds. She went over them carefully to see if there was anything to tell her which of them was the murderer.

Rizban
2010-07-12, 08:51 PM
There are no other identifying marks. It seems the one with cuts died from strangulation and has a dark purple face while the one with bruises died from a snapped neck and didn't suffer as long.

Rentok
2010-07-12, 08:59 PM
I do not see how I am supposed to know which of these two is the one hanged for murder. It is frustrating, because it seems specifically designed to be impossible...

I am determined to figure it out.

Sarin commits both faces to memory, mentally altering the purple hue to a more realistic colour. She checks their faces and torsos to make sure they are both male without having to actually check.

Rizban
2010-07-12, 09:02 PM
Well, the only way is to wait around until someone shows up and ask them. The guard has given you leave to just cut away though, so you can potentially take all 4 if you wanted to be absolutely certain.

All four are definitely male.

Rentok
2010-07-12, 09:19 PM
I was planning on waiting anyways if I couldn't be certain before that. If I wanted to risk taking the wrong heart, I'd have just attacked the guard. Though I like the thought that this is a chance to get myself a couple skeletons, I do not know how I'd get them inside the city again.

Sarin sighs and steps back under the gallows again.

"I cannot tell which I need... I do not want to desecrate bodies unless I have to... But yes, let us talk of different subjects. My stomach dislikes this work..."

She pauses and runs her hand along the guard's dagger's sheath.

"What made you decide to become a guard?"

Rizban
2010-07-12, 09:24 PM
"The pay is good, and it's not as dangerous as mercenary work."

Rentok
2010-07-12, 09:27 PM
Sarin nodds and talks to the guard as she waits for any families to arrive for the bodies. She tries to keep the conversation away from the task she must perform.

Rizban
2010-07-12, 09:57 PM
It continues to rain until nightfall, at which time several more guards arrive to cut down the bodies and carry them away.

Rentok
2010-07-12, 10:02 PM
Sarin asks these new guards if they know which of the bodies belongs to the murderer, and goes with them to where the bodies are dumped, offering to help carry them.

Rizban
2010-07-13, 09:04 AM
They just shrug and say they don't know anything about it. They tell here there is no reason for her to carry a body then toss the bodies into a cart but let her walk along side. Upon reaching the dump, they tip the cart over, spilling out the bodies, then leave, telling her to be careful, because this can be a dangerous place.

Rentok
2010-07-13, 12:17 PM
Sarin sighs and looks the bodies over, picking out the two wounded corpses. Unless she has some epiphany as to which is the murderer, she will cut out the hearts of both men, and memorize their faces, and which face goes with which heart, and which wounds.

Rizban
2010-07-13, 04:59 PM
She suddenly realizes that the term "heartless murderer" is meant literally.

Sarin now has two hearts. Three, counting her own.

Rentok
2010-07-13, 06:39 PM
Sarin heads back to the city.

Rizban
2010-07-13, 11:15 PM
She arrives back at the city. The rain continues to beat down.

Rentok
2010-07-14, 01:26 AM
She asks the guards at the gate if they know who it was that caught the murderer who was hanged.

Rizban
2010-07-14, 01:56 AM
He says it was a group of vigilante thugs with clubs.

Rentok
2010-07-14, 02:32 AM
Sarin thanks him and heads off to fins a shop that will sell her a few jars. She doesn't fancy carrying around the heart as it is. Along the way she drops the heart of the man with the blade wounds, satisfied that she has the heart she needs.

Rizban
2010-07-14, 05:22 AM
She heads towards the Mages' Quarter, knowing that alchemists are the most likely to have glass containers and preservative liquids.

Rentok
2010-07-16, 08:23 PM
She checks around for someone selling what she needs, or anyone selling magical goods that may be of use to her, that she can afford.

Perhaps while I am here, I should see about picking up some sort of magical trap to protect my alley. Or some sort of ward that will cause fear or nausea to anyone but me who enters it... First thing's first, though. I need a jar.

Rizban
2010-07-16, 11:04 PM
She finds several jars, flasks, bottles, vials, decanters and other paraphernalia. A jar of just the right size is 1gp.

Rentok
2010-07-16, 11:06 PM
She purchases it, and then searches for the proper preservation fluids that will not alter the heart in any way, so that it will most likely be still good for whatever spell it might be a component for.

Rizban
2010-07-16, 11:14 PM
She comes across three merchants, each selling a different fluid which they claim will do the job. One wants 30gp, the second wants 20gp, and the third what 72.6gp.

Rentok
2010-07-16, 11:20 PM
She inquires to each of them as to what their fluid will do, specifically, and checks the viscosity of the fluids if possible.

Rizban
2010-07-17, 10:08 PM
Alchemist #1: "This is a perfect preservation fluid. Anything organic placed within it simply will not rot. Ever."
The fluid has a slight yellowish tint, a strong odor, and is about as thin as pure water.

Alchemist #2: "Ah, but this is far better! My chemicals are designed to keep specimen in pristine condition. I have spent years perfecting my formula, and it is much less expensive."

Alchemist #3: "They're both frauds. Mine may be the most expensive, but it's an alchemical version of the psionic material known as quintessence. Time simply will not pass for anything stored within it."

Rentok
2010-07-17, 10:41 PM
Sarin nods and invokes detect magic, focusing on each of the fluids in turn.

Rizban
2010-07-17, 10:50 PM
They all emanate faint auras.

Spellcraft checks to identify the schools.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 10:56 PM
Spellcraft: (+8)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Rizban
2010-07-17, 10:57 PM
You fail to identify fluid #1's aura.

#2's aura is transmutation magic.

#3's aura does not have a school of magic associated with it.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 11:08 PM
Sarin purchases the second merchant's fluid preservative, deciding to let the price decide for her, as it is unlikely that any of them are lying. Probably they all do the job to one degree or another, and the others simply do it better. There was nothing to say the heart had to be absolutely perfect, and no guarantee that any of the liquids even worked.

She handed over 20 gp and put the heart and the preservative in the jar, and closing the lid on it.

Then she looked around for any traps or other useful or interesting items, particularly for things she could use to protect or upgrade her alleyway. Only bothering to keep track of things she could afford.

Rizban
2010-07-17, 11:16 PM
Not being a spellcaster herself, she looks for various mechanical traps, particularly those that are portable and easily moved to a new location. Unfortunately, it seems that traps are not a common item, and she isn't able to find any merchants openly selling them. She will likely have to make some sort of contact with a black market vendor or find someone of dubious morality willing to craft custom items.

Rentok
2010-07-17, 11:23 PM
Certain that she is still unable to afford custom items, she heads back to her alley, and begins looking for a dwarf along the way. Any dwarf, really. Preferably one that isn't wearing armor or weapons, and doesn't have any magical aura when she invokes detect magic.

Rizban
2010-07-19, 10:17 AM
Being primarily a human city, she encounters very few members of other species and no dwarves. It is likely that she will need to find a place where races mingle or that dwarves would frequent in order to find one.

Rentok
2010-07-19, 12:11 PM
Sarin looked around for a bar, inn, or tavern of some sort, other than the one she had left that morning. Preferably one with dwarven foods on the menu, or other indications of a dwarven clientele. Though she'd settle for any popular tavern.

Rizban
2010-07-19, 04:20 PM
Unless she's checking every single street, that's going to be a Gather Information or Knowledge (local) check.

Rentok
2010-07-19, 04:38 PM
I'll roll it as a GI check, since my knowledge local is untrained.

Gather Information: (+5)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-19, 04:43 PM
You hear word of a more or less secret pub dug into the bedrock underneath Old Town which is where the majority of the dwarves go to socialize and drink.

Rentok
2010-07-19, 04:57 PM
Sarin makes her way to this pub, not bothering to hide her appearance, but rather trying to emphasize her beauty with the way she holds herself.

Rizban
2010-07-20, 06:38 AM
She has difficulty locating it but eventually finds the entryway in an alley.

Rentok
2010-07-20, 12:53 PM
She smiles and steps inside, looking about the room.

Rizban
2010-07-20, 05:15 PM
When she tries to open the door, she finds it to be locked. A small slat is slid aside, and a pair of eyes look out.

"What ya what?"

Rentok
2010-07-20, 06:20 PM
Sarin smiles politely, "A drink, among other things."

Diplomacy: (+7)
[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-20, 06:51 PM
"Yeah? Why you want ta drink here?"

Rentok
2010-07-20, 07:36 PM
Sarin ran a hand down along her form-fitting second-skin-like protective outfit, lowering her voice a little and being as seductive as she new how.

"I'm looking..." She paused slightly, for effect, "For a dwarf." This last word she barely exhaled, only a soft whisper.

OK, sometimes you need magic beyond measure, sometimes you need the strength of a thousand ogres, sometimes you need that one magical item. And sometimes you just need to be a female, and use it. (A nice CHA never hurt anyone, either.)

Rizban
2010-07-21, 08:33 AM
Reluctantly, the deadbolt slides aside, and you are permitted to enter.

The dwarf bouncer towers over you at nearly 8ft tall, his bulging muscles barely contained within his finely crafted mail. Two dwarven waraxes are strapped to his back, and a collection of throwing axes hang from his belt. He seems to have a bit of giant blood running through him, and he seems all the meaner for it.

"You just watch yourself. You do anything undwarf-like..."

Rentok
2010-07-21, 11:21 AM
Sarin smiles and speaks softly.

"Mmm... of course..."

She makes her way to the bar, orders a drink, and looks about the room for a dwarf that is unarmed, and looks not to be a mage.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 11:32 AM
All the dwarves are armed. The size of a dwarf's weapon is a status symbol, much like wealth or quality of sports chariot is to a human. Even the ones who are obviously spellcasters of some sort carry a weapon of some sort.

Which gives me an idea for a character...

Rentok
2010-07-21, 11:35 AM
In which case Sarin looks for a dwarf wearing the least armor, yet not a mage by his appearance. And also takes note of the drunkest dwarf in the room.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 11:41 AM
She spots a young dwarf wearing only light studded leather armor. Across his chest are strapped two bandoleers of throwing knives, a half-empty wine bottle in his hand.

Another dwarf she spies wearing cloth robes and carrying a single warhammer. He seems to be engaged in a drinking game with another dwarf and winning... slightly.

The only other lightly armored dwarf in the room who isn't an obvious spellcaster is sitting in the corner alone wrapped in a heavy cloak and holding an ale which appears to have been sitting awhile without being tasted. Unlike the others, he is completely quiet and relatively still as he watches the dwarves drink and make merry.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 01:26 PM
Sarin drinks half her drink when it comes, tossing a silver coin to the bartender. She stumbles over to the drinking game, her drink sloshing about in its glass, putting on her very best drunken facade and slipping to sit next to the dwarf with the warhammer, leaning against him heavily.

"Shorry-shorry... didn' mean to- hic- in'errup' yer game... you's guys ken really- hic- put 'er down, hey? Thash... thash really cool..."

Bluff check don't fail me now...

[roll0]

Rizban
2010-07-21, 01:49 PM
"Join us then."

He slides an ale in front of her.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:11 PM
"No-no, I shoul'n'... I'm too drunk a'reddy... I... well... jush one more won' hurt..."

She drinks half the glass he slid to her, and slides up against him a little, rubbing against him subtly, yet seductively.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 02:18 PM
"Well then! I guess you lose."

The two dwarves both swill another full ale.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:27 PM
Sarin slides one hand down along the dwarf's side until she is gently rubbing the inside of one of his thighs.

"I jush love a man who ken hol' 'is drink..." she purrs into his ear.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 02:33 PM
He pushes her hand away a bit.

"Sorry, lady, but your lack of beard is... *hic* Look, dwarf ladies have beards, and you just ain't that... *hic* I like the uh, dwarf ladies, okay?"

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:37 PM
Sarin frowns and turns to the guy's drinking buddy.

"Wha' 'bou' you? You on'y like dwar'en ladiez too?"

Rizban
2010-07-21, 02:49 PM
The two chug another ale.

"Ladies!"

He passes out, and his head slams down onto the table.

"I win!" He topples backwards in his chair as he passes out as well.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 02:56 PM
Sarin bends down and heaves up the passed out form of the dwarf in the robe and tries to keep him standing next to her, and lead him over to the bar, and speaks to the barkeep.

"Me and my friend here seem to need a place to spend the night. Do you have any good rooms available?"

Rizban
2010-07-21, 03:00 PM
"We don't rent no rooms here. You ain't drinkin' then go." He points to the door where the giant dwarf is standing and staring at your suspiciously.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 03:02 PM
She nods and heads over to the giant dwarf, expecting him to block her way and ask questions.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 03:18 PM
He grabs the dwarf and shakes him, checking to see just how inebriated he is.

"You ain't drunk! Don't be such an elf."

The dwarf you're supporting just kind of groans.

"Eh, he's good. Get 'im outta here."

He opens the door and demands that you leave.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 03:33 PM
Sarin is more than happy to obey, leading the drunken dwarf out of the pub, out of the alley, down a few streets, and into an alley cloaked in shadows.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 07:55 PM
She makes it there unhindered except by the weight and stubbornness of a drunken dwarf.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 08:05 PM
She takes him to the back of the alley and drops him down. She takes away his weapon before slitting his throat with the dagger she got from the guard, careful not to cut his beard in doing so.

Rizban
2010-07-21, 08:10 PM
His eyes go wide as the blade pierces his flesh, and he struggles a bit before he dies.

Rentok
2010-07-21, 08:29 PM
Sarin uses her knife to carefully remove the beard from the dwarf's face, and stuffs it into one of her empty pockets. She then proceeds to carefully loot the corpse for anything of value, casting detect magic on everything the Dwarf had on him.

Taking 20 on the search, unless some event of import occurs during the time it would take. +2 search mod.

Rizban
2010-07-22, 09:28 AM
She finds a magical necklace in addition to his weapon. He seems to have no other possessions except for his now bloody robe, undergarments, well worn boots, and empty coin purse.

Rentok
2010-07-22, 10:29 AM
Sarin pockets the necklace and wears the hammer at her side like he had been. She then takes a careful look around to make sure she's alone.

This next bit only happens if the beard in her pocket will remain unaffected by it.

She invokes The Dead Walk, using the appropriate amount of onyx gems, and raises his corpse as a skeleton to serve her bidding.

Rizban
2010-07-22, 10:47 AM
She appears to be alone.

The dwarf's corpse stands, then the skeleton tears off its flesh as if it is removing a suit. The vile remains are left piled on the ground.

Rentok
2010-07-22, 11:00 AM
Picking the Dwarf's robe up from where she left it on the ground, not bothering with his undergarments, she proceeds to cover up the skeleton and, using the other refuse and such in the alley as necessary, disguises the skeleton as a living dwarf, wrapping up its head to disguise that it has no flesh.

Disguise mod +5. Also, how many Onyx Gems did that cost me?

Rizban
2010-07-22, 11:31 AM
25gp worth per HD. It has 1HD. For stats, use the human skeleton in the monster manual.

Rentok
2010-07-22, 12:24 PM
Once the skeleton is disguised, Sarin leads it back to her alley, careful not to draw too much attention long the way.

Rizban
2010-07-22, 07:27 PM
You receive several stares along the way and a few guarded whispers. No one interferes with you though.

Rentok
2010-07-22, 08:11 PM
Once back at her alley Sarin removes the robe and disguise from the skeleton and gives it orders. It is to wait in one of the dead end corners, crouched down amid a pile of refuse that should hide it from view, and attack anyone that enters the alley except for her and anyone she brings with her.

She checks to make sure her little box and tarp are untouched before donning the robe over top of her protective gear, and invoking detect magic again on the necklace and the warhammer.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Rizban
2010-07-22, 08:17 PM
The warhammer is a simple +1 weapon. She does not identify the aura on the necklace.

Rentok
2010-07-22, 08:27 PM
Shrugging, Sarin decides to head into town to find some place to buy, or exchange, the items. She asks around for a shop known to buy or exchange magical items, preferably one that also sold things for cheap.

Take 20 on the gather info, please and thanks. Headed to Punchinello's, preferably. 8P Not sure what I can get there for this stuff, if anything, but it's worth a shot.

Rizban
2010-07-22, 10:06 PM
Post in the Punchinello's Shop thread please. Link in my sig. :smallbiggrin:

He can make almost anything you want, so feel free to ask for anything.

Rizban
2010-07-28, 03:16 PM
You receive the lyre the next day.

Rentok
2010-07-29, 09:35 AM
I'm a tad confused. Did we just time-skip ahead to the next day, or do I still have to do more today first, and then head off to sleep somewhere?

Rizban
2010-07-29, 09:45 AM
Time skip or do stuff. It's up to you.

Rentok
2010-07-29, 09:50 AM
I'll go with time skip. I think it was late in the day anyways.

Sarin, now equipped with her new lyre, heads back to her alley. She carefully measures off the dimensions of the alley after the corner.

I wan to know what I have to work with here.

Rizban
2010-07-29, 09:54 AM
Past the corner, the alley is about 30 feet long and 10 feet wide.

Rentok
2010-07-29, 10:01 AM
Is it safe to assume the alley goes high enough for a second story?

Rizban
2010-08-02, 06:00 PM
Sorry, I was out of town this time.

The buildings on either side are only one story tall, but there is room to put a second story if you wanted.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 07:58 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 08:31 PM
Sarin smiles and looks down at her lyre before heading off into the city, towards the mage's quarter.

"This should be good."

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:58 PM
The source is unsurprisingly simple to find. As you approach it, the damage to surrounding buildings increases. Eventually, you find the source, a smoking crater in the ground some 300 feet across and 100 feet deep. Nearer to the surface, you can see sewer tunnels sliced open by the blast, a slow trickle of sewage is just beginning to flow from one of the tunnels into the crater.

A crowd of the curious has begun to gather. The City Guard, to their credit, has already formed a perimeter and begun to try to send people away from the site of destruction. It is quite easy to mingle with the crowd unnoticed.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 09:35 PM
Sarin looks around for some way to slip out of the crowd and into the sewers, figuring that to be her best bet at getting into the crater to see what exactly happened.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 09:50 PM
With the majority of the City Guard focused on this crater, you will have to travel several blocks to find a sewer entrance and hope that the tunnels have stayed intact enough to get to the crater from them.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 09:53 PM
Sarin travels a few blocks, memorizing how far and in what direction the crater lay, then enters the sewers at the first opportunity to do so without being observed.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 10:02 PM
She finds an entrance that she forces open after a good bit of prying. It is completely dark down in the sewers. In the distance, you hear the brief sound of collapsing masonry.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 10:05 PM
Sarin invokes see the unseen and heads off towards the crater.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 10:08 PM
You make your way down several dead ends before finally finding an open tunnel... the floor of which begins to collapse as you walk into it. Make a reflex save.

Rentok
2010-08-02, 10:20 PM
Reflex: (+4)
[roll0]