PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy: Psyked about making a Psyker

Wings of Peace
2010-07-02, 01:59 AM
Hey everybody. I've recently (within the last two days) become really interested in Dark Heresy and I'm currently playing around with characters to get a feeling for the system and make some premade characters in case I'm ever invited to play in a campaign where I live.

As the title likely told you, I'm planning to make a Psyker but I'm still someone new to all of this. I get the very base ideas of how their powers work, it's more the selection and setup I'm having trouble with.

My current idea is among my powers to take Distort Vision (for survivability) and Healer (I'm told it's essentially a necessity.) Ideally this Psyker would be primarily Kinetic, is this a reasonable focus? It seemed fairly versatile. I've also been looking in the Radical Handbook at Sorcery and Major Arcana, what are peoples experience with this? Aside from being K.o.S. if discovered does it add much versitality to the Psyker? It's not that versitality is my focus per se but I like to keep my options open.

I appreciate all of your help, thank you. I apologize for any noobish decisions/misunderstandings I have/will make in this thread.

Raynn
2010-07-29, 01:27 AM
My experience with Psykers has shown healing is a necessity, especially in the lower ranks. The group will be fighting, torn to shreds when at the last moment the Psyker rushes in, and provided perils and such doesn't make everything go to hell in a handbasket, and pulls victory from the jaws of defeat. Combat wise Psykers normally have a shining moment or two in an adventure and otherwise fade into the background but when they do shine, OH how they shine:smallbiggrin:
The Psyker in the group I GM was confronted with most of the rest of his team about to be killed by a renegade, not chaos simply no longer chapter bound, Space marine. Instead of fleeing he rushes across the ware house slams his hands against the power armoured chest and tries to use touch of madness to turn the marine on his friends saving the whole team.
If that had gone according to plan it would have been awesome. . .
He rolled one dice. . . Pheno. . . Perils of warp! Swapped minds with the Marine while the marine was in his body with a Space Marine's training. Proceeded to decimate the enemies to the last man, save for a Heretek they took part-way across the sector for questioning:smalltongue:

So when Psyker's work, especially when they have discipline powers, they're amazing, when Psyker's don't work it can still be very very fun if not awesome.

When it comes to the Arcana, the Sorceror talent alone is worth it because it increases your Psy-rating but why stop there? Once you have Arcana you've opened the moral flood gates for creating things such as DaemonHosts and familiars:smallbiggrin: Word of advise though if creating a Daemonhost, you NEED the whole teams support to prevent all out war within a party, make sure both the host and the demon, normally a former enemy are significant so its pressure on the campaign is payed for with additional roleplay material and lastly on the point of radicalism in general, if you GM doesn't like it your life expectancy is shortened considerably, if your team mates don't like it learn to lie, what they don't know won't hurt you:smalltongue: