PDA

View Full Version : Being Obnoxious With Abbreviations

For Valor
2010-07-02, 02:47 AM
One of my newbie players was talking about her confusion with abbreviations during gameplay, and I got this idea...

How can I be as CONFUSING as possible using D&D terms?

"So the BBEG Wiz uses Celerity for 2 heightened 9th level fingers of death. Make 2 DC 32 Fort SoDs."

That's not even CLOSE to what I'm looking for. Can you guys think of anything so obnoxiously confusing that it looks like another language?

Lord Raziere
2010-07-02, 02:49 AM
aside from 1337speak? (Yes I dare speak of the devil's tongue!)

No.

Savannah
2010-07-02, 02:56 AM
"Roll 5d6b3" or some other crazy roll. (I just recently confused someone with that particular statement, so I can attest to its effectiveness.)

Also, book name abbreviations (BoVD, etc).

Mystic Muse
2010-07-02, 04:02 AM
Aren't BoVD and such Acronyms not abbreviations? I thought abbreviations were what my cousins did. (So.....dang.......annoying)

Savannah
2010-07-02, 04:11 AM
Acronyms are words made from the abbreviation of a phrase (sonar, radar, NASA, and snafu are the only ones I can think of now), so they are a specific form of abbreviation.

Unless you are somehow pronouncing BoVD as a word, it's just an abbreviation, not an acronym.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-02, 04:15 AM
Acronyms are words made from the abbreviation of a phrase (sonar, radar, NASA, and snafu are the only ones I can think of now), so they are a specific form of abbreviation.

Unless you are somehow pronouncing BoVD as a word, it's just an abbreviation, not an acronym.

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification.

hamishspence
2010-07-02, 04:19 AM
Do words which should be abbrevations, get pronounced as acronyms sometimes?

Like BUFF for the B52: "Big Ugly Fat Freaker"

(though some people phrase it less politely)

Savannah
2010-07-02, 12:38 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "should be" abbreviations (I've never heard BUFF), but I'd imagine that people tend to turn things into acronyms because it's easier to say.

Jokasti
2010-07-02, 12:43 PM
Ydihylaswayasycbowybo

Savannah
2010-07-02, 12:44 PM
Care to explain that?

Moff Chumley
2010-07-02, 12:50 PM
No. That will be all.

Maximum Zersk
2010-07-02, 02:32 PM

Technically, an abbreviation is shortening down a word. Such as Apt., Str., and Ave.. What you are thinking of are Initialisms, and Acronyms.

Eurus
2010-07-02, 02:37 PM
"Roll 5d6b3" or some other crazy roll. (I just recently confused someone with that particular statement, so I can attest to its effectiveness.)

Also, book name abbreviations (BoVD, etc).

Roll 5d6^2e+6, r1, x7. :smallamused:

Savannah
2010-07-02, 02:49 PM
Technically, an abbreviation is shortening down a word. Such as Apt., Str., and Ave.. What you are thinking of are Initialisms, and Acronyms.

Initialisms are an abbreviation made of the initial letters of a phrase (according to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary), so they're a specific type of abbreviation. Not that this is at all relevant to the thread...

Eurus, what's the ^2e+6 about? I think I get the rest of it, but that one's got me stumped.

Scorpina
2010-07-02, 02:59 PM
In any case, speaking in all abreviations can be really annoying when you don't know what they mean. I mean, down in the Gaming section, it's generally assumed that everyone knows what ToB is, but if you don't and there are a few examples like that in a short paragraph... I can see it getting old.

Sneak
2010-07-02, 03:03 PM
This isn't what this thread is about, but OH GOD I DEF HATE ABREVES.

Mystic Muse
2010-07-02, 03:14 PM

This is what my cousins do with their sentences.:smallannoyed:

Jokasti
2010-07-02, 03:17 PM
Legit.

Ydihylaswayasycbowybo
This means:
Yo dawg I heard you like abbreviations so we abbreviated your abbreviations so you can be obnoxious while you be obnoxious.

Ease choice.

Crimmy
2010-07-02, 03:31 PM

So win. :smallcool:

Savannah
2010-07-02, 03:32 PM
I have a "guide" titled Using English Good. One of the rules is "Don't abbrev."

hamishspence
2010-07-02, 03:35 PM
I recall a guide in which each of the rules was broken in the line describing the rule.

For example:

And never begin a sentence with the word "and".

Is that the guide you have?

Keld Denar
2010-07-02, 03:44 PM
Try working in industry. So many TLAs you'll never get your head straight.

(TLA is a three leter acronym for...three leter acronym).

For example:

You have to do a JHA and a SWP to conduct a LEO on the PCU at the STP. If you have to use a CAW, you'll need a HWP as well, and any TEV's have to have a CSE permit at the hatch. Failure could result in OSHA conducting a NMA or a RCA.

Yea...welcome to my world.

Savannah
2010-07-02, 03:46 PM
Mine is:

Using English Good
*Each pronoun must agree with their antecedent.
*Just between you and I, case is important.
*Verbs is supposed to agree with their subjects.
*Keep a watch for irregular verbs that have creeped into our language.
*Don't use no double negatives.
*A writer mustn't shift your point of view.
*Join clauses good, like a conjunction should.
*Don't write run-on sentences you must punctuate carefully.
*About sentence fragments.
*Don't use commas, which aren't necessary.
*Its important to use apostrophe's right.
*Don't abbrev.
*Avoid clichés like the plague.
*Placing a comma between the subject and predicate, is all wrong.
*Parenthetical words however should be put inside commas.
*Consult the dictionary frequently to avoid mispellings.
*Always check to see if you words out.
*Passive voice should not be used.

I'll be adding the one about 'and', thanks :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2010-07-02, 03:55 PM
Anyone else come from an International Baccalaureate educational background? We have something like 12 TLAs in which the last two letters are OK. Though most of them aren't actually acronyms.

Strawberries
2010-07-02, 04:16 PM
Try working in industry. So many TLAs you'll never get your head straight.

(TLA is a three leter acronym for...three leter acronym).

For example:

You have to do a JHA and a SWP to conduct a LEO on the PCU at the STP. If you have to use a CAW, you'll need a HWP as well, and any TEV's have to have a CSE permit at the hatch. Failure could result in OSHA conducting a NMA or a RCA.

Yea...welcome to my world.

Oh, yes, I feel your pain.

In order not to go OOS I have to upload the BOM so that the PRD can associate the MR, and the FC guy has to do a CR. QA department has to insure GMP. Oh, and I'm responsable for MLC as well, and I have to provide a PMD compliant with the GIs. :smallsigh:

Moff Chumley
2010-07-02, 06:19 PM
Music gear is pretty bad. "Yah I prefer female vocals through CV-12, preferably NOS because I don't like the AKG RI, and then a 1081 that I got from my NGS because I prefer it in a 500S Rack. I tend to use an LA-2A followed by an 1176 BF, because the BS is too fast for this application. I like the TC CV for some EOHD, but I like the melodyning effect if it gets to compressed. If the 1081 doesn't provide enough EQ, I like the Manley PEQ8 for broad stroke EQ and a vintage dbx for more precise notching. For ambience I like the good ol' RE-201 SE, the Eventide H3000, and the TC S600. For A/D, I prefer the Lavry stuff if I can swing it but Apogee Rosette will do in a pinch."

FOR THE RECORD: This post officially scared my girlfriend.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-02, 06:38 PM
Having just registered for my college classes, I know personally how annoying abbreviations can get. For example, ENGL 101 and ENG 101 are two COMPLETELY different classes. To take ITAL 101 you have to have ITAL-L 101. BIOL, BIOE, BIOC, etc, are all TYPES of Biology, and you have to make sure EVERY one of those is right, or you have the wrong class. Then you have to make sure that there isn't an extra H in there so your not in honors, and that you have a lab (the ones with the "-L" or just "L" at the end) and all the right numbers. UGH.

golentan
2010-07-02, 07:15 PM
From an actual conversation:

"My librarian's a cop, spec-d to Sauce, forte in forts, but he ponies zombies. Evee's with 90% miss, no turtles, polished saves. Not fit for pizza."

Translation (when you give up): I have a Cloistered Cleric (librarian), using nightstick cheese (cop). He specializes in Save or Suck ( = SoS = Sauce), mostly fort saves (forte in forts), but he's very specialized around a couple of tricks (ponies, like "One trick pony"), in this case necromancy (zombies, not literally). 90% miss chance. Doesn't wear heavy armor (no turtles). Saves are buffed (polished). Not intended/balanced for actual play (not fit for pizza = this cheese is not meant to be added to something more satisfying).

Everyone has their own idiosyncrasies. I like making codes and cyphers. And my group adopted my work as an abbreviated build summary system, so...

Moff Chumley
2010-07-02, 08:37 PM

"My librarian's a cop, spec-d to Sauce, forte in forts, but he ponies zombies. Evee's with 90% miss, no turtles, polished saves. Not fit for pizza."

Translation (when you give up): I have a Cloistered Cleric (librarian), using nightstick cheese (cop). He specializes in Save or Suck ( = SoS = Sauce), mostly fort saves (forte in forts), but he's very specialized around a couple of tricks (ponies, like "One trick pony"), in this case necromancy (zombies, not literally). 90% miss chance. Doesn't wear heavy armor (no turtles). Saves are buffed (polished). Not intended/balanced for actual play (not fit for pizza = this cheese is not meant to be added to something more satisfying).

Everyone has their own idiosyncrasies. I like making codes and cyphers. And my group adopted my work as an abbreviated build summary system, so...

I love you. :smallredface:

For Valor
2010-07-04, 02:06 AM

GOLD. Absolute GOLD (well... that's yellow. But whatever)

Keld Denar
2010-07-04, 06:07 PM
If you don't mind the fact that its in German, this video by the Fantastischen Vier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1N15MVh6sE) makes fun of the rediculous amount of acronyms that our lives are flooded with, most of which we don't even know what they are.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-07-04, 10:56 PM

I read that, and I think of the classic "diner speak".

Anyways, even the moving industry uses many.

The AFM needs to meet with the MCP and the GMs about the JHs that are being rented OW recently. Then, a couple TMs need to go in for their PMs. That AV needs a DOT done. And those ELs all need Level 2s.

Recaiden
2010-07-05, 02:58 AM
Anyone else come from an International Baccalaureate educational background? We have something like 12 TLAs in which the last two letters are OK. Though most of them aren't actually acronyms.

Yo. So glad I'm done with TOK.

Brother Oni
2010-07-05, 12:39 PM
Oh, yes, I feel your pain.

In order not to go OOS I have to upload the BOM so that the PRD can associate the MR, and the FC guy has to do a CR. QA department has to insure GMP. Oh, and I'm responsable for MLC as well, and I have to provide a PMD compliant with the GIs. :smallsigh:

It could be worse, you could be further down the development chain and working with NCEs/NBEs. The number of COSHHs, RAs and applicable HSPs you have to read in order to comply with cGXP and current HSE legislation is just not funny.

You also get introduced to new and fun terms like 'mutagenic', 'tetratogenic', 'carcinogenic' and my favourite all time phrase 'Toxicity not determined'. :smallsigh: