PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Help me make Cole from Infamous

Kwinza
2010-07-02, 02:49 AM
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on making Cole from Infamous?
Obviously he needs to be full of lightning powers, but over abilitys of note would be:
no damge from falling/the ability to glide
ability to absorb lightning dmg and electricity as HP
able to move fast n jump high

all books are open, and somewhere in the lvl 11-14 range would be nice =]

HunterOfJello
2010-07-02, 02:54 AM
Seems more like a 4e Chaos Sorcerer with Lightning and Thunder abilities.

Swordsage with DM approval to turn all of the fire abilities of the Desert Wind school into Lightning abilities could work decently well.

Kwinza
2010-07-02, 02:55 AM
Yeah but me and my group hate 4th, sorry

Temotei
2010-07-02, 02:56 AM
Well, a really loose creation would use the warlock and refluff the eldritch blast as his lightning blast.

Milskidasith
2010-07-02, 02:59 AM
Or just a sorcerer with spell thematics (either the feat, or, if you don't want to burn a feat, just refluffing stuff) so that everything is lightning. I mean, he climbs stuff, handcuffs people, and revives people with lightning; surely lightning tentacles, lightningball (dealing fire damage, of course), flightning, cone of lightning, lightning dust (sparks?), detect lightning, read lightning, conductive runes, etc. aren't out of the ballpark, are they?

I had way too much fun with this post.

Temotei
2010-07-02, 03:29 AM
flightning

That's my favorite part.

Kwinza
2010-07-02, 03:29 AM
no thats all good i was just wondering about my options, plus is there any way to absorb lightning?
what good feats are there to pump lightning powers/add lighting to other powers?

Temotei
2010-07-02, 03:37 AM
no thats all good i was just wondering about my options, plus is there any way to absorb lightning?
what good feats are there to pump lightning powers/add lighting to other powers?

Born of the Three Thunders has some issues, but it's something to consider. I think arguskos will be jumping in to punch me in the internet face for suggesting it.

Chain Spell would fit in his head shot connecting with multiple opponents.

Ranged Spell Specialization is pretty terrible, but something you might find appropriate.

Quicken Spell is probably a likely choice for the arc lightning (I think that's the name of the super-speed, precision attack).

The first three are from Complete Arcane.

Radar
2010-07-02, 03:46 AM
Be a Shambling Mound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shamblingMound.htm) or get it's powers through appropriate form of shapechanging or the infamous Master of Many Forms.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-02, 04:09 AM
Take levels in Sorcerer with Energy Substitution (Electricity) Metamagic to turn all energy spells into Electricity

Then grab feats form the Draconic Heritage line as either a Blue or Bronze dragon. Then you could get some feats from Complete Arcane like:

Draconic Breath to turn spells into Electricity breath

Draconic Flight to be able to fly after every arcane spell you cast

Draconic Resistance to gain Electricity Resistance equal to 3 x the number of draconic feats you have

Draconic Power to increase the Caster level and save DC of all Electricity spells you cast (i.e. all energy spells)

There are also Draconic feats from Dragon Magic that would work nicely like:

Blue Dragon Lineage which creates orbs of electricity that you can fire at enemies. The number of orbs created is based on the spell you sacrifice to use the ability.

If you use the Dragonblood Sorcerer racial substitution levels, you can replace your Sorcerer familiar for Draconic Heritage and some other abilities. (It would require you to play a race with the dragonblood subtype, but the Spellscale race is probably the best race you could pick for a Sorcerer anyway.)

Morph Bark
2010-07-02, 04:16 AM
You can also take some electricity-based (or perhaps fire-based) Reserve feats for a Sorcerer to get some additional at-will options. Plus, for a Sorcerer these are more useful than for a Wizard, because you need to have all your spell slots of a certain level used up rather than one specific spell cast to lose the ability for the rest of the day.

Corporate M
2010-07-02, 04:49 AM
I agree with these posters. You should just go sorcerer and try to take feats that can either change your element into eletric damage, or hell. There's plenty of eletric based spells in D&D already. A level 1 sorcerer already has both of his spells known...

Lesser Orb of Lightning
Shocking Grasp

It might seem pretty useless to have one and the other as well. But sometimes you'd prefer melee over ranged. Especially when you're trying to be covert... As well, shocking grasp gives a +3 on attack rolls when metal is present on them where as lesser orb does not.

I'd also allow you to use illussion spells, charm person, and other such things if you could atleast vaguely convince me it had to do with messing with the neurons in the brain.

All in all, a little homebrew never hurt anybody. I'm sure your DM isn't going to say no to what is essentially a self-limiting build. I myself wanted to build a Cole. And though you might be in a party, it isn't hard to turn you completely useless if he thinks your homebrew is too powerful.

Suddenly bodaks everywhere.