PDA

View Full Version : ToB question

Morph Bark
2010-07-02, 09:54 AM
So I am reading Battle Leader's Charge which I am considering taking with my Barbarian/Warblade. Considering my Barbarian can pounce, does he get the 10 extra damage on every attack he makes or just once? It says "if your charge attack hits, it deals an extra 10 points of damage". It doesn't account for each attack you could possibly make, but also doesn't seem to go against the idea of "if your first charge attack hits, it deals an extra 10 points of damage, if your second charge attack hits, it deals an extra 10 points of damage, etc."

Snake-Aes
2010-07-02, 09:57 AM
Well that is kinda confusing :/

It says "If the charge attack hits, it deals extra 10 damage". If you consider "charge attack" as any attack you can do due to the charge maneuver, you should add it to all attacks.

Siosilvar
2010-07-02, 10:03 AM
Of course, the other reading is that it would only add the 10 points of damage to the charge attack you normally get, and Pounce adds its own attacks, not part of the charge...

Has your DM made a ruling one way or another?

Morph Bark
2010-07-02, 10:06 AM
I haven't spoken to my DM about this yet. In fact, I have had my Warblade level for a while, but I never used any maneuvers due to having so few, only low-level, and preferring to use them up to power the Bloodstorm Blade's class abilities.

If my DM rules that it is only 10 damage as a whole or on the first attack, I won't take it, since there are other maneuvers that my character would work with better, like some Tiger Claw maneuvers.

...on that note, can Power Attack be used in conjunction with using a maneuver? I assumed so but one can never be sure enough.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-02, 10:08 AM
I haven't spoken to my DM about this yet. In fact, I have had my Warblade level for a while, but I never used any maneuvers due to having so few, only low-level, and preferring to use them up to power the Bloodstorm Blade's class abilities.

If my DM rules that it is only 10 damage as a whole or on the first attack, I won't take it, since there are other maneuvers that my character would work with better, like some Tiger Claw maneuvers.

...on that note, can Power Attack be used in conjunction with using a maneuver? I assumed so but one can never be sure enough.

Power attack does not consume an action

Siosilvar
2010-07-02, 10:08 AM

If you use a Strike that makes an attack roll, then yes, you can.

Morph Bark
2010-07-02, 10:19 AM
Awesome. Very handy if you also happen to be a Frenzied Berserker 5 and thus have Improved Power Attack. :smallbiggrin:

Since my character's AC is already rather low, I will just try see if there are attacks which grant me more damage (and possibly attack to IPA away) and a penalty to AC. I can always use Wall of Blades as a counter.

Boci
2010-07-02, 11:11 AM
Awesome. Very handy if you also happen to be a Frenzied Berserker 5 and thus have Improved Power Attack. :smallbiggrin:

Since my character's AC is already rather low, I will just try see if there are attacks which grant me more damage (and possibly attack to IPA away) and a penalty to AC. I can always use Wall of Blades as a counter.

Shock trooper. Requires +6 BAB and improved bullrush, but allows you to cvhange attack penalty from PA into an AC penalty on a charge, and has 2 other abilities relating to bullrushing.

Morph Bark
2010-07-02, 11:19 AM
Shock trooper. Requires +6 BAB and improved bullrush, but allows you to cvhange attack penalty from PA into an AC penalty on a charge, and has 2 other abilities relating to bullrushing.

Sadly I have no Improved Bull Rush, and though I found out today I had one feat too little for my build (my character was absent for two level-ups so I had to throw it all together quickly) that makes it so I can't take Shock Trooper yet, even though it'd be perfect. I could ask my DM if I can retrain Great Cleave, considering I doubt I will get to use it much. Plus it isn't a prerequisite for any other feats or the like that I got.

Hm... I don't suppose there might be skill tricks that would be worth looking into for me? Those delicious little mini-feats could work for me, considering this might be the last session of our current campaign anyway.

Boci
2010-07-02, 11:31 AM
Sadly I have no Improved Bull Rush, and though I found out today I had one feat too little for my build (my character was absent for two level-ups so I had to throw it all together quickly) that makes it so I can't take Shock Trooper yet, even though it'd be perfect. I could ask my DM if I can retrain Great Cleave, considering I doubt I will get to use it much. Plus it isn't a prerequisite for any other feats or the like that I got.

Do that. Cleave is good for the occasional extra attack, but you're rarely fighting monsters you can drop in 1 hit.

Hm... I don't suppose there might be skill tricks that would be worth looking into for me? Those delicious little mini-feats could work for me, considering this might be the last session of our current campaign anyway.[/QUOTE]

The only one I can think of is the one that allows you to change direction once in a charge.

Draz74
2010-07-02, 11:31 AM
Hm... I don't suppose there might be skill tricks that would be worth looking into for me? Those delicious little mini-feats could work for me, considering this might be the last session of our current campaign anyway.

Definitely. At the very least, Twisted Charge is excellent for this type of character.

prufock
2010-07-02, 12:24 PM
It depends.
Based on RAW, here's what happens on a pounce:
1 - Movement
2 - Attack
3 - Full attack
RAW, your +2 to hit and any additional damage apply to the attack on 2, not the following full attack.

However, most people seem to think RAI is:
1 - Movement
2 - Full attack
Under this interpretation, the full attack REPLACES the attack portion of the charge. In this case, I would say the +2 applies to the full attack, and any additional damage as well.

Frosty
2010-07-02, 12:27 PM
As far as I've read RAW, the +2 happens for the entire full-attack regardless of whether you believe bonus damage from Shock Trooper or Maneuvers also applies or not.