PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Doom

taltamir
2010-07-02, 10:46 AM
Several times in the last few days I had heard praise for Eldritch Doom.
Am I missing something? its a 20 ft radius AoO centered on yourself. This is really bad if you are a squishy (and superfluous if you are a glaivelock).
It also costs you a dark invocation for the privilege.
You could also hit as many people with your simple eldritch chain / cone anyways (which require lower level invocations)

So as far as I can tell it totally and utterly sucks. Am I missing something here then?

Optimystik
2010-07-02, 11:00 AM
The handbook says it's a trap; where have you heard this alleged praise?

Hague
2010-07-02, 11:27 AM
There certainly are much better things you can get with your Dark Invocation than that.

taltamir
2010-07-10, 08:20 PM
The handbook says it's a trap; where have you heard this alleged praise?

here is the forums. various users recommended it for warlock builds.

golentan
2010-07-10, 08:22 PM
here is the forums. various users recommended it for warlock builds.

Specific builds can find ways to take advantage of it, but overall: It's a Tarp!

Prime32
2010-07-10, 08:51 PM
Note that 20ft burst centred on self = 30ft cone = 60ft line.

Hague
2010-07-10, 09:41 PM
Note that 20ft burst centred on self = 30ft cone = 60ft line.

Exactly, and a cone and line aren't Dark Invocations, which is why this is a trap. It's not worth the Dark Invocation to use it. I'd rather be able to bestow negative levels with a cone or line instead of potentially striking my allies. Realistically, if I can already fly, I can aim a cone down from 30 feet and hit a very large area without endangering allies.

Now, it might be good with a necromantic-type build: focusing on unlimited raise undead, and Utterdark blast to heal your undead allies.