PDA

View Full Version : Soulbow build critique + Some questions

Bushidough
2010-07-02, 03:49 PM
Firstly thanks for reading. This is a Soulbow build I've been working on that I'd like some help with

Intro/Roleplay stuff:
I see him as some sort of former agent/courier turned Robin hoodesque figure (only without the charisma) with the help of the Reclaimers (see the "Soulbows in the world" fluff found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2)). I'd have him swear his Kensai vow to them as a "protect the weak and stand up against injustice" type thing.

I've tried to avoid the cheddar, YMMV with Shiba protector dip, but I feel it fits the character (and lets face it it's far too awesome to not include!)

The Build:
{table]level|class|hd|bab|feat|bonus feats|skill points|fort|reflex|will
0|human|---|---|---|PBS, iron will (costing 3000gp or a flaw – noncombat) |4 + 1 per lvl|---|---|---
1|soul knife|1d8|0|TWF|Mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), Hidden Talent (Entangling Ectoplasm), simple weaps, light armour, shields (not tower), MB prof|(6 + Int) x4|0|2|2(+2)
2|Fighter (targeteer)|1d8+1d10|1|---|med and heavy armor, Vital aim, Exotic ranged (heavy repeating xbow), Exotic ranged (net)|2 + Int|2|2|2(+2)
3|ranger (urban)|2d8+1d10|2|alertness|urban tracking, favoured enemy/org +2, martial weaps |6 + Int|4|4|2(+2)
4|ranger (urban)|3d8+1d10|3|---|rapid shot (combat style)|6 + Int|5|5|2(+2)
5|sk|4d8+1d10|4|---|Throw mind blade, practised mindblade|6 + Int|5| 6|3(+2)
6|soul bow|4d8+2d10|4|combat expertise|Mind arrow, precise shot, wis to damage|4 + Int|5|8|5(+2)
7|sb|4d8+3d10|5|---|Mind arrow enhancement (+1 bonus equivalent ability)|4 + Int|5|9|6(+2)
8|sb|4d8+4d10|6|---|+1 mind arrow, Ranged pin|4 + Int|6|9|6(+2)
9|sb|4d8+5d10|7|ITWF|Close combat shot|4 + Int|6|10|7(+2)
10|shiba prot|4d8+6d10|7|---|No Thought|2 + Int|8|10|9(+2)
11|kensai (CW)|4d8+7d10|7|---|+1 weap|4 + Int|8|10|11(+2)
12|k|4d8+8d10|8|Darkstalker|+1 weap, power surge|4 + Int|8|10|12(+2)
13|k|4d8+9d10|9|---|+1 weap|4 + Int|9|11|12(+2)
14|k|4d8+10d10|10|---|+1 weap, ki projection|4 + Int|9|11|13(+2)
15|F (targeteer)|4d8+11d10|11|Improved precise shot|Arrow swarm|2 + Int|10|11|13(+2)
16|F (targeteer)|4d8+12d10|12|---|---|2 + Int|10|12|14(+2)
17|F (targeteer)|4d8+13d10|13|---|weapon spec (MB)|2 + Int|11|12|14(+2)
18|sb|4d8+14d10 |13|GTWF|ranged weap mastery|4 + Int|11|12|14(+2)
19|sb|4d8+15d10|14|---|Mind arrow enhancement (+2 bonus equivalent ability)|4 + Int|12|13|15(+2)
20|sb|4d8+16d10|15|---|+2 mind arrow, Improved crit|4 + Int|12|13|15(+2)
[/table]

Stats (32 pt buy): Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 8

Notes:
Soul knife is using blainetog's fix (http://psionics.wikispaces.com/soulknifefix2), Soul Knife ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)

Weapon (general setup @ lvl 20): +2, Lucky (+1) splitting (+3) Collision (+2) Force (+2)

Assuming a +4 book on dex (for a total of 26 including +6 item) and all level point plus a +5 book on wisdom (for a total of 32 including +6 item)

Particular questions:
Should I find room for zen archery, if so where? (It's worth +3 hit, which is why I left it out)

I'd like to get Gather info (and open lock if possible) as class skills, recommendations on how to do this?

Do arrow swarm (see spoiler) and rapid shot stack? Ie can I take -7 to hit for 3 extra attacks or only one or the other?

Arrow swarm, special targetteer ability in place of a bonus feat, prerequisites: Rapid shot (dragon 310, p39)
By taking a -5 penalty to all attack rolls for a round, the targetteer may make 2 additional ranged attacks at his highest attack bonus. (only on full attack)

I'm attracted by the wisdom to AC of Swordsage 2, but is it worth it considering how i'd hide at the back as much as possible and maneuvers are pretty rubbish for an archer (or are they)?

Lastly, are there any particular magic item recommendations?

All comments welcome!

Bushidough
2010-07-04, 03:43 AM
Wow, overwhelming response....

I remembered my other question if anyone would be so kind:

Does the quickdraw feat work with Mind blades?

Bushidough
2010-07-05, 10:08 AM
Ok, last try, obviously no one can be bothered to critique, but if you could answer the questions I'd be most appreciative

Optimystik
2010-07-05, 10:50 AM
The build, I'm not too sure about (I'm not familiar with Urban Ranger; Blainetog's fix seems identical to the one in Untapped Potential, (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/soulknife) in which case he should just source it instead of calling it his; and as for Shiba Protector - it's great if your DM lets it stack with the Soulbow's Wis to damage ability, but if not, it doesn't grant anything else you need.)

However, I can answer your questions, no problem.

1) Should I find room for zen archery, if so where? (It's worth +3 hit, which is why I left it out)
Again, this hinges on whether your DM allows SP to stack or not. No Thought already gives you Wis to all attack rolls (including ranged); if your DM lets this stack with Zen Archery, then by all means take ZA; if not, don't bother. If you can, reallocate your points so you start with 18 Wis (take some out of Dex since you won't be using it for attack rolls once you get ZA.) Then try to fit in a Swordsage dip so that you get Wis to AC while wearing light armor.

2) I'd like to get Gather info (and open lock if possible) as class skills, recommendations on how to do this?
There's a feat in Eberron called Ecclesiarch that adds Gather Information as a class skill. Open Lock, you're pretty much out of luck for except a dip. Clerics can get it through Initiate of Gond, but you're not one.
Alternatively, since you're taking Shiba Protector you must be human, which means you can take Able Learner and spend only 1 skill point per rank on these skills.

3) Do arrow swarm (see spoiler) and rapid shot stack? Ie can I take -7 to hit for 3 extra attacks or only one or the other?
I see no reason why they wouldn't, just like you could stack flurry and combat expertise if you wanted for similarly abysmal to-hit penalties.

4) I'm attracted by the wisdom to AC of Swordsage 2, but is it worth it considering how i'd hide at the back as much as possible and maneuvers are pretty rubbish for an archer (or are they)?
There are homebrew maneuvers for archers on this board if your DM is game. If not, there are probably a couple of standard ones that will nonetheless prove helpful, but ToB is not my specialty, so someone else can help with that.

5) Does the quickdraw feat work with Mind blades?
I'd say no: you don't actually draw a Mind Blade, you form it out of your mind. However, the Free Draw ability they gain at level 5 counts as Quick Draw for all purposes, according to Complete Psionic. You won't need it in any case, being a Soulbow.

Bushidough
2010-07-05, 02:39 PM
Thanks.

I have to say it never occurred to me that No doubt might not stack. Boo!

Thanks for the Complete Psonic reference too, I missed that. Mechanically they're the same, but the "form it from your mind" thing is what got me wondering in the first place. DM's interpretation I guess :smallsmile:

Also Able learner sounds like a plan.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-05, 02:47 PM
Check out Woodland Archer in Races of the Wild, in the tactical feats section.

Swordsage 2 is definitely useful, and boost maneuvers like Sudden Leap, Shadow Jaunt/Stride, and the Diamond Mind maneuvers that replace a save with a Concentration check are all good for a ranged character. Be sure to take it late enough to have a high enough IL for Dance of the Spider.

Greenish
2010-07-05, 03:34 PM
2) I'd like to get Gather info (and open lock if possible) as class skills, recommendations on how to do this?
There's a feat in Eberron called Ecclesiarch that adds Gather Information as a class skill. Open Lock, you're pretty much out of luck for except a dip.Criminal Background from City of Stormreach gets you Bluff, Open Lock and Sleight of hand as class skills. City Slicker from Races of Destiny adds Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, and Knowledge (local) to your class skills. Both are 1st level only, I seem to recall.

4) I'm attracted by the wisdom to AC of Swordsage 2, but is it worth it considering how i'd hide at the back as much as possible and maneuvers are pretty rubbish for an archer (or are they)?
There are homebrew maneuvers for archers on this board if your DM is game. If not, there are probably a couple of standard ones that will nonetheless prove helpful, but ToB is not my specialty, so someone else can help with that.Depends on when you dip, but some of the boosts and/or stances could help.

Mechanically they're the same, but the "form it from your mind" thing is what got me wondering in the first place.Well, not exactly the same: Quick Draw allows you to draw as many weapons as you want (and can carry), while you can only form a Mindblade once per round.