PDA

View Full Version : Walking and running right?

Haruki-kun
2010-07-02, 04:19 PM
It came to my attention a while ago that when I walk, I don't really do it right. I usually walk with my feet pointed slightly outward, and what's supposedly bad. I don't notice at all, but that's just how it is.

Didn't really notice until the other day, when I ran on a treadmill for about 25 minutes. After that I felt a sharp pain on my feet every time I took a step for a while.

Anyone else go through that? When you walk, do you do so with correct feet position and posture?

Dallas-Dakota
2010-07-02, 04:20 PM
I always, always, always walk on the balls/toes of my feet when walking for stairs.

I cannot stop it. I don't really mind, it's just...weird.

Haruki-kun
2010-07-02, 04:26 PM
Oh, I do that on stairs, too. I didn't think that particular thing was weird, though.

Sneak
2010-07-02, 05:15 PM
How did you just notice this? Had you never run 25 minutes before? :smallconfused: Because if so, that's probably the cause of the pain.

Anyway, it happens. Usually it's not a big deal. If it's really an issue, you can try to gets some treatment...but if you only just noticed it, I doubt that's the case. Plus, I'm not sure how much can really be done.

If it's only a problem when running, go to a store that specifically sells running shoes. The people who work with will watch your stride and recommend shoes specifically for you.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-07-02, 05:28 PM
@OP, it sounds like you overpronate, just like a whole heck of a lot of other people. You can probably get inserts to correct it if you want to, but the best think for your feet is to walk barefoot as much as possible. Many foot issues arise because your shoes support the arches in your feet that really don't need supporting (I mean an arch is a pretty efficient structure when built and doesn't need any extra support, your feet are the same way).

Sneak
2010-07-02, 05:34 PM
I think Haruki meant duck-walking (or whatever the opposite of pigeon-toed is called), not pronation, when he said "walk with my feet pointed slightly outward." But I could be wrong.

If it is just pronation, that's not much of a problem at all. And my suggestion about going to a running store and having someone take a look at his stride is even more applicable and likely to fix the problem.

Winter_Wolf
2010-07-02, 10:50 PM
My advice is to get off the treadmill and do it outdoors. Treadmills are evil things. I also suspect the pain you feel is less about your pigeon-toedness than it is about the repetitive impact factor of taking your feet and repeated slamming them into a hard surface with most or all of your body weight behind it (that's pretty much what running is). I mean really, would you expect to kick a tree trunk for 25 minutes without your foot hurting? Same principle, different surface, same effect.

I think I probably walk more or less the same way, toes out. There's a BIG difference between walking and running on a treadmill though. Personally I avoid treadmills and even paved surfaces as much as possible, meaning yes I will walk on the grass or dirt if it's there. Simply because I've NEVER twisted my ankle while on a natural surface, but happens all too frequently when I'm confronted with paved surfaces.

Jack Squat
2010-07-03, 06:05 AM
Do you do this off the treadmill? If so, you might be slightly splay footed (or as Sneak was thinking, duck footed). This generally doesn't cause problems, but I suppose it can if it's more severe. If you're looking to get rid of it, generally the fix is to use a resistance band on a foot and turn it inwards - do it 10-15 times and then switch feet. Alternatively, you can just consciously walk with your feet straight, and you'll eventually be trained to walk that way.

Serpentine
2010-07-03, 08:39 AM
I do it too. We're just duck-footed.

Cyrion
2010-07-05, 09:41 PM
If you only point your feet out a little, that's pretty normal. If you're going to get into running, you'll probably want to concentrate on running with your feet more straight. A fairly easy fix- take ballroom dance lessons, and focus specifically on the ballroom dances like waltz, foxtrot, tango, and quickstep. The technique for all of those dances focuses your attention on keeping your feet in line. (Latin dances like rhumba, cha cha, salsa, etc. actually reinforce having your feet pointed out.) I used to have really severe turn out, but a lot of that has gone away because of my dancing. I also run, and I don't have any issues due to turn out.

And no, "I have two left feet" isn't an excuse. I'm not really a coordinated person, and I have really bad "white man dancing syndrome" when I free-style, but I've learned to do ballroom and latin dance really well. It just takes some patience and the commitment to have fun no matter what you look like. You'll get better with practice (and without having to get a flesh wound).

Coidzor
2010-07-05, 09:54 PM
Ahhh, Duck-footedness...

SpiderMew
2010-07-05, 10:30 PM
Im flat footed and my hips turn out and my feet always point out. My osteoperosis makes this effect worse.

Perhaps you are flat footed.

Jokasti
2010-07-05, 11:10 PM
Too bad about your AC. :smallamused:
I don't think I really notice how I walk, but my posture is terrible, I assume.

Thajocoth
2010-07-06, 12:18 AM
Im flat footed and my hips turn out and my feet always point out. My osteoperosis makes this effect worse.

Perhaps you are flat footed.

I'm flat footed as well, but I don't do that. I'm also a bit bow legged though. With very wide feet. The combination of these things makes shoes that fit nearly impossible to find, and makes my shins hurt when I fast-walk.

Xyk
2010-07-06, 12:52 AM
I was raised bare-foot. My feet are just fine, though I have a narrow stride and tend to do the whole one foot in front of the other thing and drag my feet. It's not a problem but it makes a fun sound when my ankles click together at every step. :smallbiggrin:

I think you're over thinking it, but running barefoot more often (preferably not on asphalt or anything hot) and things like that.

SpiderMew
2010-07-06, 07:40 AM
I'm flat footed as well, but I don't do that. I'm also a bit bow legged though. With very wide feet. The combination of these things makes shoes that fit nearly impossible to find, and makes my shins hurt when I fast-walk.

Ive got big and wide feet also. I have to special order shoes now if i want a decent fit. At places like payless i have to get size 15, but at the rare store that has shoes of varing widths, i wear a 14 EEE or something like that. I have boats for feet.

Scorpina
2010-07-06, 09:38 AM
I'm semi-reliably informed that I 'run funny'. I have not been able to ascertain any further details as to the hilarious nature of my running.

Archonic Energy
2010-07-06, 10:08 AM
I'm semi-reliably informed that I 'run funny'. I have not been able to ascertain any further details as to the hilarious nature of my running.

funny HA HA
or Funny strange?

or both.

Scorpina
2010-07-06, 10:19 AM
Opinion is divided on the matter, but I think it's generally odd funny verging into ha ha funny on occasion.

monomer
2010-07-06, 12:46 PM
I think you're over thinking it, but running barefoot more often (preferably not on asphalt or anything hot) and things like that.

A study came out earlier this year showing that running shoes cause runners to impact on their heal much harder than when running barefoot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/barefoot-running-good-for-the-sole-study-finds/article1447500/

I am not one for running barefoot though, but I was interested to find that there are "barefoot" shoes which supposedly add protection for your feet, but keep the benefit of running without shoes.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Jack Squat
2010-07-06, 01:56 PM
I am not one for running barefoot though, but I was interested to find that there are "barefoot" shoes which supposedly add protection for your feet, but keep the benefit of running without shoes.

The problem with fivefingers (besides looking ridiculous) is that if your toes aren't "normal", you can't wear them. My pinky toes are a little bent, and thus I wouldn't be able to fit - the guy who I was talking to while wearing them has one toe that's a little too long, again, a no-go. Nike, New Balance, and a few other companies have made more traditional looking shoes that don't have this problem. I'll probably be picking up a pair whenever I need new running shoes.

Linky (http://barefootrunningshoes.org/)

Coplantor
2010-07-07, 10:12 AM
I always, always, always walk on the balls/toes of my feet when walking for stairs.

I cannot stop it. I don't really mind, it's just...weird.

I do the same, but because I like to think I'm a velociraptor

Xyk
2010-07-09, 01:50 AM
A study came out earlier this year showing that running shoes cause runners to impact on their heal much harder than when running barefoot.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/barefoot-running-good-for-the-sole-study-finds/article1447500/

Yeah, that's what I meant despite my lack of clarity.

And my brother has those shoes! They are awesome. Apparently they're awesome for all adventuring. You can rock climb, run, jump, etc. I'd get them if they weren't so expensive.

Amiel
2010-07-09, 02:43 AM
Heh, my feet seem to invoke the opposite position; they point inwards whenever I walk.
Useless fact: the position your feet take in ambulation can be hereditary; my dad walks with similar feet positioning, I'm pretty sure my children will too, unless they follow their mum in that regard.

Lioness
2010-07-09, 03:24 AM
A fairly easy fix- take ballroom dance lessons, and focus specifically on the ballroom dances like waltz, foxtrot, tango, and quickstep. The technique for all of those dances focuses your attention on keeping your feet in line. .

I was about to say that...

It definitely does work. My partner had really turned out feet, however our coaches niggled him about it so much that he eventually learnt to turn them in. Now, his turn out is significantly less.

2010-07-09, 04:32 AM
whatever you do do not run on concrete without shoes its okay, until you curl your toes at the wrong time or turn wrong; at that point ouchness occurs.

Xyk
2010-07-09, 04:56 AM
whatever you do do not run on concrete without shoes its okay, until you curl your toes at the wrong time or turn wrong; at that point ouchness occurs.

Also don't try swimming with concrete shoes. It's REALLY HARD.

Lillith
2010-07-09, 05:08 AM
Since when is this bad for your feet? :smalleek: I walk like that my whole life and haven't had a problem yet. To be honest it gives me hindrance if I try to start walking with my feet facing forward. :smallconfused:

onthetown
2010-07-09, 07:16 AM
I used to run laps in our unfinished basement, completely unaware that running on concrete in barefeet for extended periods of time every night is kind of a bad thing. The doc told me that it's the underlying reason for my flat arches and back pain. Gotta love it when something you do as a kid comes back to bite you.

To clarify, this is more than just a few laps around. I did this for about 3 hours a night for 5 years. I just had a lot of energy to burn off.

Knaight
2010-07-09, 08:00 AM

Also, don't walk on sidewalks and streets barefoot when it is about 90 F (30 C) for more than about 1.5 miles (2.3 km) at a time. Particularly if it is 6 miles (10 km) or so, you will be walking the last two (3) on blisters.

IonDragon
2010-07-09, 09:38 AM
I know for a fact I walk funny. I know because I've seen me do it. I walk really bouncy if you're looking at me from a distance. This is because I broke my leg when I was 6, and so one knee is rather stiff most of the time, so I get the lift I need to walk without dragging my feet by extending my ankle to lift me higher, rather than bending my knee. I do it on both sides, not just the one probably simply out of habit.

Ceric
2010-07-09, 01:07 PM
Since when is this bad for your feet? :smalleek: I walk like that my whole life and haven't had a problem yet. To be honest it gives me hindrance if I try to start walking with my feet facing forward. :smallconfused:
Me too... I overpronate, so turning my feet straight forward turns my knees inwards and it hurts. Turning my feet straight and keeping my knees straight twists up my leg and feels worse.

Also, I apparently don't lift my legs much when I run, so my feet swing outwards slightly. Instead of keeping on a straight line.

Cealocanth
2010-07-09, 10:57 PM
I've heard of people who've broken their legs (and arms) because they walked with wrong technique. Just walikng along in their usual Scooby Doo manner and suddenly, bad ancle twist, a snap in the ancle, and break bones with the resulting trip.

I work on walking right whenever I notice.

I tend to walk on my toes and balls of my feet when walking up and down stairs. It's a bad habit. When I need to run really fast, I occasionaly break into a Velociraptor run, bouncing and everything.

Haruki-kun
2010-07-10, 12:53 AM
How did you just notice this? Had you never run 25 minutes before?

Would it be bad if I said, no, I hadn't? :smallbiggrin:

I hate running.

My advice is to get off the treadmill and do it outdoors. Treadmills are evil things.

'Fraid that's impossible. It's like 40ºC outside.

I also suspect the pain you feel is less about your pigeon-toedness than it is about the repetitive impact factor of taking your feet and repeated slamming them into a hard surface with most or all of your body weight behind it (that's pretty much what running is). I mean really, would you expect to kick a tree trunk for 25 minutes without your foot hurting? Same principle, different surface, same effect.

Ah, that may be it, then. I'm just not used to it at all.

But it CAN be caused by bad posture, isn't it? Because I'm sill leaning towards that as a cause for it.

Also don't try swimming with concrete shoes. It's REALLY HARD.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/watertemplelarge.jpg

Iron > Concrete

SpiderMew
2010-07-10, 08:27 AM
I tend to walk on my toes and balls of my feet when walking up and down stairs. It's a bad habit. When I need to run really fast, I occasionaly break into a Velociraptor run, bouncing and everything.

I do this all the time. Bouncing up stairs on the balls of my feet make me go up them faster, and expend less of my energy then lifting each of my legs. I also run faster when i run that way. Ive actualy hurt myself more running "correctly" then running like a Velociraptor.