PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Vs Mandolin

Xyk
2010-07-02, 06:07 PM
Who would win in a fight?

No, I'm only joshing. I have $200 to spend on a used instrument and I have never owned either a guitar or a mandolin. I have played my dad's guitar and know like 8 or 9 chords but it feels pretty generic to be one of those guys who plays guitar. I have extensive knowledge of music theory so learning a new instrument is not a challenge to me.

Does anyone see a problem with getting a mandolin over the guitar? Is there a reason it isn't as popular? My mother seems to think I will give up on the mandolin as I did the drums (which I sold to get a string instrument). But she feels I won't on the guitar because it is more basic somehow. I have successfully taught myself the piano.

Another issue I have is the ability to join a band. I figure the mandolin would be a boon for indie bands due to it's relative rarity. I also think the mandolin would give me a boost to learning the violin at a later date as I plan to. All in all, which is a better instrument to learn as my first string instrument?

I have bolded the questions I'm asking.

onthetown
2010-07-02, 06:13 PM
I play both, but more of mandolin than guitar.

I like mandolin better because it's more fun for me. Plus, I'm already a fiddler and a mandolin is tuned exactly the same as a fiddle (just with extra strings), so I can pick out songs and play around. I haven't played guitar as much because mine is way too big for me (it's a hand-me-down), but it was kind of neat once I got the hang out it.

I have about 15 instruments in my room so I'm obviously not that great at picking and choosing, but from my perspective a mandolin is more fun and kind of cuter.

But who cares if guitar is generic for guys to play? If you like it, do it anyway. You're not trying to win a uniqueness contest, you're pursuing something that you want to love.

Anyway, if it ever came down to one or the other, I would get rid of the guitar and keep my mandolin. Violin/fiddle and mandolin do make it easy to transition into each other.

(C'mon, man, be a fiddler! :smalltongue: )

snoopy13a
2010-07-02, 06:23 PM
Why not pick up a cheap acoustic guitar at a garage sale or something and use the bulk of the $200 to pick up a mandolin? That way you can practice on both and determine for yourself which one you like better.

Xyk
2010-07-02, 06:34 PM
Why not pick up a cheap acoustic guitar at a garage sale or something and use the bulk of the $200 to pick up a mandolin? That way you can practice on both and determine for yourself which one you like better.

I had considered that, but I'm one of those people who will inevitably become frustrated with extremely cheap things. I do much much better with things of good quality. Maybe I'm a snob with instruments, but either way, excessively cheap things tend to be more of a waste of money than the alternative.

Now, of course I would much prefer getting both. That would be ideal. But I'm on a budget and have a thing for quality.

SDF
2010-07-02, 07:50 PM
I play guitar, mandolin, and bouzouki. (longer scale mandolin, essentially) You won't get much of a guitar for $200, but I have an electric epiphone mandolin for about that much that I love.

Also, epic mandolin ballads! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1ku4q2CkU)

onthetown
2010-07-02, 07:59 PM
I play guitar, mandolin, and bouzouki. (longer scale mandolin, essentially) You won't get much of a guitar for $200, but I have an electric epiphone mandolin for about that much that I love.

Also, epic mandolin ballads! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1ku4q2CkU)

Ah, I forgot about price... guitars are way more expensive. My mandolin has lasted me years and it was the cheapest one at the store for only $150 brand new.

Cyrano
2010-07-02, 08:46 PM
Um, if you care about playing in a group, band-wise, get guitar. Even if you wanna play in an indie band. As a big lover of the indie musics, I can say that yes, mandolin has been used, but if you want something with more uniqueness and, you know, that actually gets played a lot, get a ukelele or a banjo - both of which can translate to some epic indie stuff - for uke, check out Beirut, for banjo, almost anything but Sufjan Stevens has some excellent examples on the album Illinois - and be cool and just be awesome. Not saying mandolin isn't awesome, but it gets relegated to "gimmick" or "one song look how cool it is" status. Guitar, on the other hand, translates towards a lot of different playing stuff you can do.

That paragraph got kinda rambly so tl;dr, mandolin is kind of a gimmick even in indie bands, guitar is more likely to played.

If, as I suspect, wanting to play in a band is only tangential, then whatever. You wanna get a violin eventually? As a cellist, allow me to say these things: The music is beautiful (BUT THE CELLO STUFF IS BETTER) and be prepared to spend a lot. But that's beside the point - the point is, if you wanna go for violin get a mandolin. It's closer.

That being said, if learning an instrument is easy for you, why get an instrument that is only a gateway to the one you REALLY want? Figure out which of the two, guitar or mandolin, you actually legit wanna play. Go to a music store. Figure out which one SOUNDS nicer to you. I'm sure you could play any style you wanted on either with enough perseverance (although it'd prolly be easier on guitar - more resources, including free internet stuff, for playing and making interesting noises.) Just make sure you like it.

This whole thing got kinda rambly, actually. Sorry about that. Tl;dr, go play around on both of them and buy the one that sounds nicer.

THAC0
2010-07-02, 08:55 PM
I see mando used most frequently in bluegrassy/folksy groups.

I own both.

I prefer guitar. Among other things, it's easier on my fingers. YMMV. Listen to them being played by professionals. Then go mess around at a music store and figure out which fits you best right now.

TheThan
2010-07-02, 09:00 PM
Really it depends on what sort of music you like to play. Guitars are robust and are appropriate for just about any sort of music. Mandolins not so much, they fit in with bluegrass, cowboy (not the same as country), folk and “indi” music.

Both sound great, but I think I like the mandolin slightly better, its got a very sweet sound and when played well, just sings. Also my dad has been playing one for like 3 or 4 years now.

Also for those of you not in the know about instruments, THEY ARE NOT CHEAP, heck not even harmonicas nowadays, as you can easily spend upwards of $100 on one, as I discovered the other day when I visited the local music shop.

Also my dad just got a fiddle the other day for the super low, low price of $40, got lucky and ninjaed an auction for it. The thing is not a super nice one, but it sounds good and is in very good shape, granted my dad sounds like a dying cat, but that'll change as he gets better at it (and figures it all out).

Xyk
2010-07-02, 09:33 PM
Cyrano, I get what you're trying to say. You make valid points. I do take offense to wanting a mandolin for it's gimmick factor, but it's okay because I wasn't particularly clear. My ultimate goal is to know as many instruments as possible. I'll be majoring in musical composition in fall of '11. Right now I want a strumming type instrument and the fiddle will come eventually. I figured mandolin just had the added benefit of being really similar to violin.

Now mandolins sound pretty cool, but they are also really high-pitched. I think I'll definitely need to play a mandolin for myself before I can make a decision. Maybe this weekend. I read some reviews and see too much bluegrass for my taste but then an instrument can be used for whatever I make of it.

ForzaFiori
2010-07-02, 11:37 PM
Personally I would choose guitar over mandolin, but that is because high notes are really annoying to me, so a deeper instrument is always better to me (I'm a bassist myself, and I would love to learn cello if I could ever find a way to get one cheep and somewhere to put it.)

However, I would suggest, like several others, that you go to a store and play each one. See which one feels better in your hands, which one sounds better to you, etc.

Capt Spanner
2010-07-03, 08:04 AM
Try going to your friendly local music shop and asking if you can noodle around a little on each. They are normally very happy to help, as long as you don't play Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Xyk
2010-07-03, 06:05 PM
Try going to your friendly local music shop and asking if you can noodle around a little on each. They are normally very happy to help, as long as you don't play Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I did that. The mandolin did not impress me so I got a guitar. I like it. :smallbiggrin:

It's a fender acoustic. Red sunburst. Very pretty. Also sounds real pretty. :smallbiggrin:

valadil
2010-07-03, 10:24 PM
One of my friends got a mandolin. I found it difficult to play. My fingers were too big. They're fine for guitar though.

He had a really hard time finding an instructor. If you have music theory down, you may not need an instructor. But you can always find someone to teach you something on guitar.

Xyk
2010-07-04, 01:06 AM
It took me about half an hour to learn to play "wish you were here" by pink floyd. Granted, that's a really easy song and is the first one i liked when googling "easy songs to learn on guitar". But I'm excited.

TheThan
2010-07-04, 02:11 PM
I did that. The mandolin did not impress me so I got a guitar. I like it. :smallbiggrin:

It's a fender acoustic. Red sunburst. Very pretty. Also sounds real pretty. :smallbiggrin:

Well I hope you enjoy your investment. But i still think you should have gone with the mandolin.

xPANCAKEx
2010-07-04, 09:37 PM
get a banjo

Cobalt
2010-07-04, 10:21 PM
Does anyone see a problem with getting a mandolin over the guitar? Is there a reason it isn't as popular?

Because when you set a mandolin on fire, people don't throw their underwear at you. They just kinda... Stare.

...Not that I've tried.

If price is the big concern here, mandolin is likely the best choice. Qaulity guitars for 200 are very hard to come by. I have one I got for 299, and the dang thing is just so... So... Off, I guess. I mean, the thing's (one of) my pride and joy(s), but still. Cheap little bugger. It works, but it ain't the best. Your price range leaves mandolins as the prime choice.