PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Action IN SPAAAACE!

FoeHammer
2010-07-02, 09:32 PM
Basically the above. Would a Helm of Underwater Action allow the user to breathe in a vacuum? I think it would, but it seems a little disingenuous as to the nature of the item. Also, what other ways could one use magic items and such to survive without air?

EvilJoe15
2010-07-02, 09:38 PM
Yes, I believe so, but what's stopping the crushing pressure of the vacuum, or the massive radiation, or the extreme heat, and cold?

FoeHammer
2010-07-02, 09:49 PM
The PCs will be in a near-spacecraft (a mindflayer nautiloid), which will prevent most of the other adverse effects of space-exposure. As a defense mechanism, I plan to have the illithid vent the atmosphere from most of the ship and send in Thoon infiltrators(MMV) who have no need to breathe to combat the party.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-07-02, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't see why not. It creates a globe of air around the creature's head, even if the spell that it's based on is water breathing. I wouldn't allow water breathing to allow them to breathe, as that spell does something very different than the helmet, but I doubt that will be an issue if the PCs all have helmets.

Sindri
2010-07-02, 10:13 PM
The crushing pressure of vaccum? srsly?

Moff Chumley
2010-07-02, 11:12 PM
The crushing pressure of vaccum? srsly?

Or, ya know, the crushing lack of pressure... :smallbiggrin:

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-02, 11:19 PM
The helms are nice, but necklaces of adaptation are nicer (and cheaper, though they don't grant the visual properties of the helms). The necklaces protect you from gas attacks and all the issues thereof (having problems in a solid fog? Put on that necklace of adaptation; now you're not).

Morph Bark
2010-07-03, 03:46 AM
The helms are nice, but necklaces of adaptation are nicer (and cheaper, though they don't grant the visual properties of the helms). The necklaces protect you from gas attacks and all the issues thereof (having problems in a solid fog? Put on that necklace of adaptation; now you're not).

Vacuum counts as a gas now in DnD? :smallconfused:

Snake-Aes
2010-07-03, 05:43 AM

A solid fog doesn't "attack". It just stays there being annoying.

FoeHammer
2010-07-03, 11:23 AM
I think the Necklace of Adaption may work even better for my purposes, As it is cheaper and specifically mentions vacuum.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-03, 11:53 AM
The vacume of space won't actualy kill someone for quite some time. It would be very painful, but so long as the eyes, ears, mouth, and other sensitive organs are covered you would function just fine. I pitty your groin, but it isn't serving a vitle function at the time and would just get a dehydration burn. The rest of your skin is fairly waterproof and would stop any instant dehyration effect that would say, render your eyes blind and pop your eardrums.

the kicker would be the bends. Without external pressure your blood defixates all of the nitrogen, filling your bloodstream with bubbles that collect at all of your joints. This isn't your blood boiling, but if would feel like it. On earth the bends can be so bad it is treated with morphine, as there is no other way to treat it except waiting for the bubbles to be reabsorbed or expeled from your bloodstream.

And yes, we do see the bends fairly commonly on earth. It is one of the main hazards of scubadiveing, expecialy if you try to fly after a deep dive.

The human body doesn't handle large pressure drops even over as slow of a drop as 1 or 2 atm in 24 hours.

the helmet would keep them alive, but in mindnumbing pain.

Another_Poet
2010-07-03, 01:05 PM
Yes, I believe so, but what's stopping the crushing pressure of the vacuum, or the massive radiation, or the extreme heat, and cold?

This is my ruling. Word for word.

OracleofWuffing
2010-07-03, 01:07 PM
Whelp, looks like we're too late to save this village planet of catgirls. On to the next one!

kpenguin
2010-07-03, 01:08 PM
This is my ruling. Word for word.

Including the "crushing pressure of vacuum" part?

FoeHammer
2010-07-03, 03:19 PM
On a related note, does anyone here have any experience with the Fresh Flow of Brains (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20050520a) adventure. I'm basing my"dungeon" off of this and was wondering if there was anything I should take into account.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-03, 04:02 PM
Vacuum counts as a gas now in DnD? :smallconfused:No; I was mentioning that as a reason why the necklaces are better than the helms, and at a cheaper price as well. Do note that it specifically mentions vacuums:

Necklace of Adaptation

This necklace is a heavy chain with a platinum medallion. The magic of the necklace wraps the wearer in a shell of fresh air, making him immune to all harmful vapors and gases (such as cloudkill and stinking cloud effects, as well as inhaled poisons) and allowing him to breathe, even underwater or in a vacuum.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, alter self; Price 9,000 gp.
Though why someone would need to be sheltered from a Hoover is beyond me. :smallconfused:

:smallwink:

The Shadowmind
2010-07-03, 04:08 PM
Does the necklace and a ring of sustenance mean a creature could survive the Nailed To The Sky epic spell?

2xMachina
2010-07-03, 05:55 PM
With fly speed, they can return too.

EDIT: Hmm, need to be magical for some reason.

Morph Bark
2010-07-03, 06:23 PM
No; I was mentioning that as a reason why the necklaces are better than the helms, and at a cheaper price as well. Do note that it specifically mentions vacuums:

Though why someone would need to be sheltered from a Hoover is beyond me. :smallconfused:

:smallwink:

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Mastikator
2010-07-03, 08:17 PM
Um guys. You don't die from lack of breath in vacuum, you die from a heart attack much before that. And you become unconscious in a matter of seconds. Not needing to breathe wouldn't save you or even prolong life.

Also cosmic radiation. A necklace of adaptation wouldn't protect you from that, cosmic radiation isn't a vapor. It's an energy. NOA doesn't protect you from a fireball, it doesn't protect you from solar wind.

Only undead and constructs have a chance really.

Eurus
2010-07-03, 08:21 PM
Um guys. You don't die from lack of breath in vacuum, you die from a heart attack much before that. And you become unconscious in a matter of seconds. Not needing to breathe wouldn't save you or even prolong life.

Also cosmic radiation. A necklace of adaptation wouldn't protect you from that, cosmic radiation isn't a vapor. It's an energy. NOA doesn't protect you from a fireball, it doesn't protect you from solar wind.

Only undead and constructs have a chance really.

Buuut since they're actually going to be in an airless ship rather than actual space, and the ship presumably is shielded from radiation, that shouldn't be a problem. And a Necklace of Adaptation actually surrounds you with air, so it should handle the vacuum problem by itself.

awa
2010-07-03, 10:14 PM
dnd space is diffrent what with the giant hamsters and all

Mastikator
2010-07-04, 06:11 AM
Buuut since they're actually going to be in an airless ship rather than actual space, and the ship presumably is shielded from radiation, that shouldn't be a problem. And a Necklace of Adaptation actually surrounds you with air, so it should handle the vacuum problem by itself.

Wait, if the ship can protect you from cosmic radiation, why doesn't it contain the air you need?

2xMachina
2010-07-04, 06:31 AM
Maybe it's like a submarine. Thick walls cover the whole thing. No air regeneration though. (But a simple bottle of air handles it...)

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-04, 06:39 AM
becuse the owners are jerks.

Serpentine
2010-07-04, 06:52 AM
Though why someone would need to be sheltered from a Hoover is beyond me. :smallconfused:Said like someone unfamiliar with Rocko's Modern Life and the Suck-O-Matic.

Volthawk
2010-07-04, 07:04 AM
Wait, if the ship can protect you from cosmic radiation, why doesn't it contain the air you need?

Well, the situation the OP gave is this:

The PCs will be in a near-spacecraft (a mindflayer nautiloid), which will prevent most of the other adverse effects of space-exposure. As a defense mechanism, I plan to have the illithid vent the atmosphere from most of the ship and send in Thoon infiltrators(MMV) who have no need to breathe to combat the party.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-04, 07:21 AM
The only mention of vacuum I could find in the srd was the Nailed epic spell, which says that in the vacuum you take 3 types of problems: Extreme Temperature, Extreme Pressure and Suffocation.

Targets subject to these conditions take 2d6 points of damage each from heat or cold and 1d4 points of damage from the vacuum each round. The target immediately begins to suffocate.

It does make sense <nods to the void>

2010-07-04, 07:35 AM
You physics fans are all missing the point, and the point is...

...that FoeHammer is the best DM ever.

Lapak
2010-07-04, 08:19 AM
The original question, by the way, is what makes Spelljammer worthwhile as a setting. Space isn't a real-life vacuum, though there is no air in it; the sun may be a ball of plasma or a portal to the plane of fire or a dozen other things; if you hold your breath while you jump from ship to ship you're fine. (Unless you miss.)

FoeHammer
2010-07-04, 09:57 AM
You physics fans are all missing the point, and the point is...

...that FoeHammer is the best DM ever.

...can this go into my sig?