PDA

View Full Version : Derro class.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-03, 03:15 AM
What would you, the fine people of GITP, suggest for a Derro in an evil campaign, class progression-wise? So far, I'm torn between pure rogue, pure sorcerer, or cleric then take the Persecutor PrC from "Slayer's Guide to Derro".

Thoughts?

Yora
2010-07-03, 05:22 AM
They make excelent rogues and sorcerers, but with -6 to Wisdom, they would be awful clerics. Fighter would work as well, while the Wisdom penalty would make a ranger very hard as well.
So the question is, what kind of character do you want to play? A warrior, a rogue, or a spellcaster?

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-03, 05:26 AM
They make excelent rogues and sorcerers, but with -6 to Wisdom, they would be awful clerics. Fighter would work as well, while the Wisdom penalty would make a ranger very hard as well.
So the question is, what kind of character do you want to play? A warrior, a rogue, or a spellcaster?

Ah, I didn't think about the Cleric's need for Wisdom...

I definitely don't want to be a straight warrior, as I intend for my character to be a sadistic non-combatant that subdues his victims and then tortures them. I'm beginning to lean towards Sorcerer, as the +6 Charisma would be pretty tasty spell-wise :smallamused:

Yora
2010-07-03, 05:37 AM
Insane Derro are not meant to be played as characters, probably because of the +6 to Charisma.
But even if the gm allows it, you'd still have 3 racial HD and +2 LA, making it a 1st level sorcerer at 6th level. This means the character would have five or 6 first level spells per day, while a human sorcerer would have seven 1st level spells, six second level spells, and four 3rd level spells. Unless the party is at 23th level or above, that's a huge disadvantage that in no way makes up for the +6 to Charisma.

A rogue however could make use of the derros racial abilities. But 1d6 sneak attack and the spell like abilities hardly make up for the loss of 5 levels of rogue.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-03, 07:32 AM
Insane Derro are not meant to be played as characters, probably because of the +6 to Charisma.
But even if the gm allows it, you'd still have 3 racial HD and +2 LA, making it a 1st level sorcerer at 6th level. This means the character would have five or 6 first level spells per day, while a human sorcerer would have seven 1st level spells, six second level spells, and four 3rd level spells. Unless the party is at 23th level or above, that's a huge disadvantage that in no way makes up for the +6 to Charisma.

A rogue however could make use of the derros racial abilities. But 1d6 sneak attack and the spell like abilities hardly make up for the loss of 5 levels of rogue.

It is only +2 LA if sane, which my character is not, as where's the fun in that? :smallamused:
Also, remember the SR15, the inability to poison themself when handling poison and the +2 natural armour.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-03, 08:11 AM
I would go assasin. Even with your LA it wouldn't be to bad to get into the class with your race. use the non lethal death attack, then torture you foes into being your willing servents. Anything to stop the pain!

Sorry, evil rant....

I'll be quite until the voices stop.

Hague
2010-07-03, 10:46 AM
Sorcerer -> Alienist

Your already horrible wisdom score is your super dump stat. Drop it to 8, then when your Alienist levels kill your wisdom some more, you don't even feel the effect (you can't get 0 wisdom from these effects) Of course, the Alienist Class features suck (Mad Certainty, Insane Certainty, etc), so you might want to convince your DM to give you bonus feats in exchange or Improved Toughness instead of a flat HP bonus.

However, the dearth of summon spells that you'll be able to cast is nice. Maybe convince your DM to let you apply the pseudonatural template to other creatures. However, Pseudonatural Dire Wolves with SLA True Strike are pretty nice. A swarm of low-level summons can rip an enemy to shreds if they all have enough time to buff with True Strike.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-03, 10:49 AM
I'm feeling Sorcerer -> Savant from SGtD. The fluff is nice, but I'm slightly concerned that I'd have to return to a Derro community and become one of its Elders should that happen.

TheLaughingLich
2010-07-03, 12:28 PM
A Derro with a bit of Binder or Bind Vestige -> Improved Bind Vestige to bind Dahlver-Nar could be intriguing.

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-05, 01:31 AM
A Derro with a bit of Binder or Bind Vestige -> Improved Bind Vestige to bind Dahlver-Nar could be intriguing.

I've never heard of these classes, what book are they from?

hamishspence
2010-07-05, 09:23 AM
The Binder class, is in Tome of Magic, as are the Bind Vestige/Improved Bind Vestige feats.