PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Dirgesinger fix PEACH

Goonthegoof
2010-07-03, 11:15 AM
A bard in my campaign expressed interest in this class, but I noticed it was terrible. So I set out to make the dirgesinger into a useful class but not an overpowered one. Constructive criticism needed, the creator never sees the flaws in her own design :smalltongue:

Also: Does anyone know what PEACH means? I've been reading it around, but can't find anywhere that explains what it is. Thanks!

The updated dirgesinger

Entry Requirements:
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Perform (any) 9 ranks
Feats: Requiem
Special: Bardic music class feature

HD: d4
Skill points per level: 4 + Int mod
Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Tumble, and Use Magic Device.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Dirgespell: Dirge of Discord, Dirgesong: Song of Fear|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Friend to the Dead +2|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Dirgesong: Song of Bolstering|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Dirgespell: Fugue|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Friend to the Dead +4|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Dirgesong: Song of Madness|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Dirgespell: Body Harmonic|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Friend to the Dead +6,|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+5|Dirgesong: Song of Faltering|+1 level of bardic spellcasting

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Dirgespell: Dirge, Dirgesong: Song of Awakening, The Eternal Song|+1 level of bardic spellcasting[/table]

Class Features:

Proficiency: The dirgesinger gains no weapon or armour proficiencies.

Spellcasting: The dirgesinger's dirgesinger class levels stack with her bard levels when determining her spells known, spells per day and caster level. The bard's spell list is also somewhat altered- Any cure spell is swapped with the relevant inflict spell, and the spells command undead, animate dead and create undead are added to the bard's spell list, while the spells animate objects, daylight and good hope are removed. A dirgesinger may control HD of undead up to twice her character level, rather than the usual four times.

Dirgesong: A dirgesinger gains the dirgesong ability, gaining new songs at certain levels. Dirgesinger levels stack with bard levels when determining how often a character can use dirgesong or bardic music. Dirgesinger levels do not stack with bard levels when determining what songs the character has access to and the effects of these songs (with the partial exception of inspire courage, read below), and each of these songs counts as a use of bardic music. Any effect that applies to bardic music is applied to dirgesong, such as the Melodic Casting feat. (The lingering song feat also applies to the dirgesongs of bolstering, sorrow and faltering. As a side effect of this, a dirgesinger must succeed on will save (DC 10+uses of dirgesong left) to use a song to benefit a living creature if she has used a dirgesong in the last week.

Dirgespell: At certain levels, the dirgesinger gains a bonus spell, provided the dirgesinger has a high enough level of spellcasting to use this song. This spell is treated as a normal spell known, but gains certain bonuses: The focus for a Dirgespell can be replaced by any instrument a bard had at least 5 ranks in perform relating to. A Dirgesinger may choose to sacrifice two uses before casting a Dirgespell in exchange for that spell not using up a spell slot when casting it (dirge requires three uses), and may sacrifice a use of bardic music to increase the DC by two. Lastly, a Dirgespell is treated as being affected by the Requiem feat, even though it is not technically a bardic song- A dirgespell affects an undead creature just as it would a living one, with the only difference being the duration is halved for undead.

Song of Fear: At first level the dirgesinger can use her music to sap the sourage of any enemy that can hear her perform. The dirgesinger makes a perform check, and all enemies that can hear her must make a will save with a DC of the perform check-15 or take a penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls and will saving throws equal to the bonus that would be given by the dirgesinger's inspire courage ability. Though dirgesinger levels do not increase the bonus to inspire courage in normal circumstances, dirgesinger levels and bard levels are treated as stacking to determine the penalty. A dirgesinger who uses this song is unable to use inspire courage for the rest of the day. Song of fear is a mind-affecting ability.

Friend to the Dead: At second level the dirgesinger's effective charisma is increased by two when interacting with undead. This is not an actual increase- A dirgesinger with a charisma of ten will retain that charisma, but is treated as having a charisma of twelve for any charisma based check applied to undead. This bonus increases to +4 at fifth level and +6 at eighth level.

Song of Bolstering: At third level the dirgesinger gains the ability to bolster undead. All undead within 30' of the dirgesinger gain a bonus turn resistance equal to her dirgesinger class level and a morale bonus to damage rolls and armour class equal to half her dirgesinger class level. This effect lasts for as long as the dirgesinger performs and for five rounds thereafter. Song of bolstering is a mind-affecting ability.

Song of Madness: At sixth level a dirgesinger can inspire madness in an enemy within 60' that can hear her. The dirgesinger makes a perform check, and unless the target succeeds on a will save with a DC of the result of the perform check-15 the target is confused for as long as the dirgesinger performs and for 5 rounds thereafter. Song of madness is an enchantment(compulsion) and mind-affecting ability.

Song of Faltering: At ninth level a dirgesinger may make a perform check as a full round action to cause a -4 penalty to saves and AC to up to three creatures that can hear her sing unless they succeed on a will save equal to the result of her check-15. This effect continues as long as the dirgesinger continues to perform and for five rounds thereafter. Song of faltering is a mind-affecting ability.

Song of Awakening: At tenth level a dirgesinger can reanimate a recently slain corpse of a creature within 30 feet. This requires the dirgesinger to make a perform check (DC 10+the target creature's HD). The slain creature can have no more hit dice than the dirgesinger's character level. If the attempt fails, the dirgesinger may make another attempt at a later round. The target creature may have been dead for no longer than an hour. The awakened creature becomes undead, and it retains any subtypes it had. The creature retains all class features, as well as any spell-like and supernatural (but not extraordinary) abilities it possessed in life(though any spells cast or abilities used before death count towards the creature's daily limits). The awakened creature is completely loyal to the dirgesinger and obeys any commands it is given (if no command is given it will attack the dirgesinger's foes). The creature remains active for as long as the dirgesinger continues to perform.

The Eternal Song: At tenth level the dirgesinger may choose to acquire the Necropolitan template without being required to undergo the Ritual of Crucimigration. This effect must be chosen immediately upon reaching tenth level and does not change the dirgesingers's appearance, requiring a DC30 spot check or a DC10 heal check for another character to realise the dirgesinger is undead.

Siosilvar
2010-07-03, 09:17 PM
Also: Does anyone know what PEACH means? I've been reading it around, but can't find anywhere that explains what it is.Please Examine And Critique Honestly

Song of Madness: At sixth level a dread necromancer can inspire madness in an enemy within 60' that can hear her. The dirgesinger makes a perform check, and unless the target succeeds on a will save with a DC of the result of the perform check-10 the target is confused for as long as the dirgesinger performs and for 5 rounds thereafter. Song of madness is an enchantment(compulsion) and mind-affecting ability.Copy/paste error.

I'm not familiar with the original dirgesinger, but I think I like the concept. Balance seems fine.

Goonthegoof
2010-07-03, 11:24 PM
Thanks, not sure why it says DN :smallbiggrin:

DragoonWraith
2010-07-03, 11:55 PM
Awesome to see work on the Dirgesinger; I really like the concept for the class, but was so underwhelmed by it. I have not, however, actually read yours, because I'm very tired and going to bed, this just caught my eye.

I think you should put this image on top of it, because it's awesome:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/281/c/5/_bride_of_lucifer__by_noah_kh.jpgRemember to credit the artist (http://noah-kh.deviantart.com/art/bride-of-lucifer-11242427)!

(you'll have to either spoiler it for size, or resize it and host it on Photobucket or Imageshack or something)