PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.X]Looking for a half-gnome, half-goblin hybrid

Coidzor
2010-07-03, 11:03 PM
Wondering if there's any directions I could be pointed in for reference or for actual stats for 3.5 or if we have to just jump in straight away to the homebrewing process in order to get some.

Lhurgyof
2010-07-03, 11:18 PM
You most likely have to home brew the gnoblin. Gnob for short. xD
Or you could be a mongrelfolk...

2xMachina
2010-07-03, 11:26 PM
The fluff...

Got to homebrew I think. They hate each other. A lot.

Zaq
2010-07-03, 11:32 PM
If you allow 3rd party stuff, the book Bastards and Bloodlines is (in)famous for having weird mashups of half-breeds. I don't remember if they have a gnome/goblin (probably not, since that book on the whole tends to lunge for the stuff that makes thinking about the conception really uncomfortable... like the halfling/blink dog, or the dwarf/roper), but it'll probably give you at least some ideas. I think there's a suggested "here's what a half-X looks like" table, but I don't remember.

But really, 3rd party is just another form of homebrew, so you might as well just make something up.

Coidzor
2010-07-03, 11:49 PM
Drat. Now to figure out what a decent and non-craptacular or too awesome hybrid would be.

Or just give gnomes less SLAs and goblin movespeed and move on. Bah.:smallannoyed: I wanted third party stuff so I'd have some idea of what direction others took it in.

Mostly because gadgeting as fluff in one's mind doesn't translate to much in creating a race for DnD other than favored class and maybe a stat or skill bonus.

Tanuki Tales
2010-07-03, 11:54 PM
Check the homebrew subforum, they already made it.

Coidzor
2010-07-03, 11:56 PM
Check the homebrew subforum, they already made it.

Yeah, looking through that subforum = annoying as all get out.

Searching through it, GAAAH.

Zaq
2010-07-04, 12:00 AM
Drat. Now to figure out what a decent and non-craptacular or too awesome hybrid would be.

Or just give gnomes less SLAs and goblin movespeed and move on. Bah.:smallannoyed: I wanted third party stuff so I'd have some idea of what direction others took it in.

Mostly because gadgeting as fluff in one's mind doesn't translate to much in creating a race for DnD other than favored class and maybe a stat or skill bonus.

Honestly, aside from a few small exceptions (basically the Illumian, Dwagonborn, Killoren, and to a lesser extent the Eberron races, though I can see an argument for others), most racial abilities in 3.5 aren't that big of a deal*. I mean, gnomes probably have the most interesting in the PHB (because they're explicitly magical, so they get the cantrips and the illusion bonus). Most things are just some small skill bonuses and the like. The biggest thing is probably the stat mods, if any. Usually you'll have one or two abilities that you'll actually pay attention to (Dwarves are good at saves, Darfellans can swim and bite, Skarns get spikes, Elves are good at dying, etc.) and a few that you'll probably forget about (quick, without looking, name all of the skill bonuses that a gnome gets, or exactly which races hate each other enough to get a dodge bonus against each other). You can try to make them be a bigger deal, but by default, races aren't that complex.

*This is not to say that race isn't a big deal. Racial stat mods are as big a deal as you let them be, and things like the human bonus feat are not to be ignored. That said, there are very few racial abilities that you look at and say "that is going to seriously change the way I play, and there is no way that another race could even come close to doing what I want this character to do." They exist, but they are rare.

erikun
2010-07-04, 02:47 AM
The fluff...

Got to homebrew I think. They hate each other. A lot.
Not as much as gnomes hate kobolds, though.

I've never heard of a gnome/goblin or any half-gnome templates. It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to average out the two races' abilities, though. I could see:

-2 Str, +2 Dex (or Con), -2 Cha
Small
30 feet speed
Low Light Vision
+4 Move Silently, +4 Ride
gnome spell-like abilites

or if you are basing it off the Blue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/blue.htm), then replace the gnome SLA with Naturally Psionic. (The bonus to skills is assuming we're talking about one that was raised with goblins.) That may not be ideal, but it's probably pretty close to what you would expect with a gnome/goblin hybrid.

Frog Dragon
2010-07-04, 03:50 AM
Gnoblin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10967), for your enjoyment. Partial Homebrew Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120075), once again for your enjoyment. :smallwink:

Prplcheez
2010-07-04, 04:55 AM
Summarized from Bastards and Bloodlines

-2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CHA
Size: Small
Speed: 30
+2 racial bonus to Listen
Low-Light and Darkvision 60 ft.
Favored Class: Rogue
Level Adjustment: 0

Gnorman
2010-07-04, 07:18 AM
Refluff the Whisper Gnome, as that's basically the same thing.

2xMachina
2010-07-04, 07:22 AM
Hmm, yeah. The only difference is +2 Con rather than Dex.

But what about Whisper Gnome + Goblin?

We should go mix all the sub-races.

Volthawk
2010-07-04, 07:26 AM
Hmm, yeah. The only difference is +2 Con rather than Dex.

But what about Whisper Gnome + Goblin?

We should go mix all the sub-races.

Whisper Gnome+Air Goblin. Because you always need more dexterity.