PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a cohort who had a higher CR than you?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-04, 12:05 AM
OKay, so in an upcoming game i get to play a dragon. . . i'm very excited as i have always wanted to play a dragon. The GM is letting me have the racial hit dice and adjust level adjust with level buy off.

I have chosen to play a brass dragon cause I thought that would go well with a bard concept I'm working on.

I was building my character and discovered THIS:

At Character level 9 I will be able to take dragon cohort and get a very young brass dragon as my cohort. . .

I will be a wyrmling brass dragon with 3 class levels. . . and I will have a very young brass dragon as MY cohort. . .

I find this incredibly funny. . .

Yes I realize the title is not completely true.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-04, 12:12 AM
and it has just occured to me that around level 15 I could take dragon familiar and get a brass dragon wymling as my familiar too. . . . and if i made my cohort a wizard he would be able to take dragon familiar at my 18th level i think and get another brass dragon familiar. . .

brass dragon wyrmling 1: me
Very Young Brass dragon: my cohort
Brass dragon wyrmling 2: my familiar.
Brass dragon Wrymling 3. My cohorts familiar. . . .

all before 20. . .not very effective, but funny as heck

Eurus
2010-07-04, 12:16 AM
Heh, that's an amusing mental picture. The extra-charismatic little dragon, giving orders to the bigger one.

As for the question in the thread's title: I kind of have, actually. There was one game I was in, a fairly leadership-focused one, that never really got off the ground. One of the houserules was that you could take Epic Leadership pre-epic, and there was a homebrewed Extra Cohort feat that you could take once if you had a ludicrously high leadership modifier (which required very heavy investment, to the tune of several feats and crazy-high charisma) And my character was a Thrallherd, so he already had two cohorts even before that, and all of his cohorts were his level -1 instead of -2. It was also gestalt, and his other side was Dread Necromancer.

Long story short? Fairly weak but incredibly charming level 15 character, with a SWAT team of three level 14 gestalt characters (a glaivelock/warblade, artificer/factotum, and wizard/archivist) following him around, several awakened zombie dragons and a dread wraith, two animal companions, and a familiar. Not counting the several thousand low-level cultists and minor undead as followers. The actual character didn't do much besides spam psionic dominate and have fun with Magic Jar, and keep his thralls from killing each other. I couldn't help but get a bit of a "Charlie's Angels" vibe when he sent them into battle... :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2010-07-04, 12:36 AM
Closest Ive done was wild empathy every large animal in a forest and made them go crazy in town.

A rain forest...
With monkeys...
I feed them (for a bonus) too..

I forget why though. No cohorts. Not even followers. But if you added up the CRs, it ha to be higher.

Grumman
2010-07-04, 12:40 AM
I haven't had an opportunity to play her yet, but Cally is a 20 HD halfling that rides a 25 HD sandworm named Bolo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_%28tank%29).

Radar
2010-07-04, 01:18 AM
Still the crown goes to Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38) - a 4th level character commanding three Battletitans (or some nasty magical beasts).

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-04, 01:32 AM
Still the crown goes to Bubs the Commoner (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7097263&postcount=38) - a 4th level character commanding three Battletitans (or some nasty magical beasts).

oh good lord. . . that is why in my games if you want anything bigger than a dog or regular pet type animal via the handle animal skill. . . you have to roll play it.

That's just unsettling.

*tiny old man waves his cane at the giant dinomonster* "hey you, obey me!"

balistafreak
2010-07-04, 08:04 AM
That's just unsettling totally awesome.

Fix'd.

Don't diss old people. Ya know, just in case they sic three Battletitans on ya. :smallamused:

And I don't really see it as him waving a cane and shouting. No, no, he's got to be all empathetic and lovey-dovey with it:

"Whooooo's a good battletitan? Who? Whoooo? You! You're a gooood battletitan, yes you are, yes you, you you you you..."

I'd run away. :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2010-07-04, 08:12 AM
Why do the battle titans look like an armored, angry barney the dinosaur?

Also due to the funny cohort chart in PF it is fairly easy to get a cohort with a higher CR than yours.