PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on the Warden's font of life feature

Mystic Muse
2010-07-04, 02:11 AM
Okay, a question concerning the Warden's font of life came up in my game today. Does the ability apply to death saving throws. I was under the impression that it did but everybody else thought that only applied to things that say "Save ends" like ongoing damage or conditions. Looking at the intent that seems to be the case but I want to be sure. So, who's right?

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-04, 02:31 AM
Hmm...

At the start of your turn, you can make a saving throw against one effect that a save can end.

This is just my opinion, but I'm going to agree that it doesn't help, since death saving throws don't really follow the normal rules for saving throws. I'm not sure that I'd characterize dying as "an effect that a save can end."

Mystic Muse
2010-07-04, 02:34 AM
Hmm...

This is just my opinion, but I'm going to agree that it doesn't help, since death saving throws don't really follow the normal rules for saving throws. I'm not sure that I'd characterize dying as "an effect that a save can end."

Well, if you roll a natural 20 then you're no longer dying. So I guess technically a save can end it.

Evard
2010-07-04, 03:30 AM
*mills lane voice* I'll allow it!

Since it won't give you hp (only prevent you from slipping further to death) I would say sure use it. There is really no game breakage and it technically follows the fluff of the power (being such a badass you can shrug off effects)

Mystic Muse
2010-07-04, 03:34 AM
*mills lane voice* I'll allow it!

Since it won't give you hp (only prevent you from slipping further to death) I would say sure use it. There is really no game breakage and it technically follows the fluff of the power (being such a badass you can shrug off effects)

Actually, According to RAW it seems that if I fail the first save, it still qualifies as a failure. Making the ability (If you use it, it's optional) a double edged sword in that case.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-04, 05:38 AM
Well, if you roll a natural 20 then you're no longer dying. So I guess technically a save can end it.

Yeah, but normally only a 10 or better is considered a successful save. But if you only roll a 10 for a death saving throw, you don't stop dying. You just stay as you are until you fail the save or roll a 20+. So it's already not following the normal rules for saving throws, and that's the main reason I'd say it doesn't apply. But, again, that's just my opinion.

If you got hit by a power with the result of "Hit: The target is dead (save ends)," then by all means use Font of Life to recover faster. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

I still don't consider dying to be an "effect" the way the ability is written.