PDA

View Full Version : custom evil deity

crazywolf
2010-07-04, 08:37 AM
my cousin is creating a neutral evil cleric and wants me to make a god for her to worship (she didnt like any of the ones in the handbook) and since i'm new to D&D myself i need some help desining this evil god here are some facts that may help
* the cleric is an elf
*shes neutral evil
*she wants the diety to be a goddes

i have had an idea for her being a pristess for a cult of the night and shawdows and the goddes's followers are assasins and rouges and that the goddes is fairly new or recintly got more power but what does the playground think?
also what domains should she have?

The_Pyre
2010-07-04, 08:47 AM
Well, it looks like you're on the right track. You already mentioned she's going to be a goddess of the night, rogues, and assassins, so you can put Trickery and Death in there. Add Evil and you've got three domains, pretty much good enough already.

Do you want her to be an elven goddess or a non-race related deity? Also, how recent do you want her ascension to be? IIRC, Vecna is a relatively recent god as well, so you can use him for some pointers. Maybe mix with a Olidammara?

crazywolf
2010-07-04, 08:58 AM
Do you want her to be an elven goddess or a non-race related deity? Also, how recent do you want her ascension to be? IIRC, Vecna is a relatively recent god as well, so you can use him for some pointers. Maybe mix with a Olidammara?

well i hadnt planed on her being race related she is new but not that new, like probably 300 years but she was sort of doormate and just recently became know as she gained followers over the years (mostly assasins) and thanks for the help :smallsmile:

Yora
2010-07-04, 09:01 AM
If you're willing to make a custom deity for her character, why don't you let her design it?

In game terms, a deity is really not much more than an alignment and three to five domains, with a cool background story and religion build around it. You can't really break game balance that way, so even a complete newcomer to the game can come up with a background for a deity that suits the character concept.

Said that, all the things you provided in your first post is enough to make a really good and potentially interesting deity.
As an evil deity, one of her domains should be Evil.
As a deity of night and assassins, the Darkness (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/clericDomains.html#darkness) domain seems perfect.
Trickery is also very suitable for rogues and assassins.

I'd say you'd be ready to go.

crazywolf
2010-07-04, 09:03 AM
If you're willing to make a custom deity for her character, why don't you let her design it

I told her she could if she wanted but she didnt want to

UnChosenOne
2010-07-04, 09:04 AM
So maybe something like next? So this is also my 1st time to homebrew a god or anything so this probaly sucks.
So she could worship deity something like next:

The Dark Mistress She who walks in the darkness - Lesser Godness
Portfolio: Assasins, buglars and hitmen.
Aligment NE
Weapon Shortsword
Symbol Skull prieced by Shortsword
Domains:
Darkness
Death
Evil
Elf (if racial deity)
Trickery

*Insert here background dety's background and how her followers are organized*

Evard
2010-07-04, 09:05 AM
Take Lolth and change the animal ... make her weaker ... there ya go.

hamishspence
2010-07-04, 01:18 PM
If you're going with Seelie and Unseelie- and with elves as the Sidhe who can belong to either court- having the ruler of the Unseelie court be a deity might work- The Queen of Air and Darkness.

She's actually given a domain list in Dragon 359: she's an Intermediate deity (chaotic evil) and her domains are Air, Chaos, Darkness, Trickery.