PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Min

planswalker
2010-07-04, 09:30 AM
IF YOU ARE NOT MIN OR HIS DM, MR TENTALES WILL FIND YOU AND HUG YOU. JUST ASK LYNDWORM. YOU DON'T WANT THAT

"Very well then. I will have one of our older cops start your training tomorrow. The standard starting pay is 1 gold per day, with a bonus for exceptional service. You will be granted your city watchman's cloak tomorrow morning when you show up for training. If you do not have a place to stay tonight, you can be assigned a bed in the barracks. There is a breakfast served at sunrise every morning and another meal provided when you get off your shift. Report back here an hour after sunrise. Do not be late."

Mathis
2010-07-04, 10:38 AM
Min

Min grins widely underneath his beard and exclaims excitedly: "Fantasticable! Though, if I could have some sort of watchman tabard or the like instead of a cloak I'd be happy with that, I already own a magical cloak you see, it's going to be a family heirloom one day.

planswalker
2010-07-04, 10:48 AM
"Well, we don't get many new watchmen that can afford a magic cload, but we do have tabards as optional uniform instead. It will be five silver, though. The cloak is free but the tabard costs a little extra. The city subsidizes the cost of the cloaks, but the tabards have to be custom-made."

Mathis
2010-07-05, 06:50 AM
Min

"That's ok", Min said joyfully. He pulls up his pouch, counts 5 silver pieces and hands it all to the Captain. "I'll get the measurements done as quickly as possible. I have to be honest with you though Captain. I hope to advance to more than a simple watchman here with you. I've been travelling for many years and I'm no rookie when it comes to a fight. I also like to think I'm slightly brighter than your run of the mill watchman. Min adjusts himself in his seat and leans forward, over the table and continues excitedly: That's why I propose, that after I have proven myself trustworthy with your guard, we could work together on starting up a service provided to the nobility in this town. Some sort of business that provides security without the random and unsafe enviroment hiring someone off of the street gives, a prestigious group of protectors. With the reccomendations from you and the city guard I'm sure we'd draw some of the more wealthy individuals to us. Think of all the percentages you could earn from this captain!

planswalker
2010-07-05, 07:03 AM
He smiles grimly. "I am afraid that we just don't have the reputation to do that, but who knows? If you prove yourself, we just mingt be able to get you places. If you do go places, it would be wonderful of you if you could expant the city guard's influence."

Mathis
2010-07-05, 07:13 AM
Min

"Luckily for us, there are tons of places to go my friend!" And I'm going to go to your position one day, Min thought as he smiled and offered his hand to the Captain for shaking.

To the DM: Want to just skip ahead to the training or do you have anything else planned?

planswalker
2010-07-05, 07:31 AM
Next morning, you eat the basic breakfast the barracks provides and report for training. An old Sargent with a missing left hand introduces himself as "Sgt. Torkheim".

he asks you, "I hear that you have past experience taking care of problems. Care to elaborate?"

Mathis
2010-07-06, 03:04 PM
Sorry about the slow post rate! But I'm in the middle of moving to another apartment and just got off a 9 hour train ride during which I didn't get any sleep...

Min

Min eyes Torkheim up and down, but couldn't decide if this was a man worthy of respect or not.

"That's right Torkheim", Min answered casually. "The name is Min Rockhand, I've been a surfacedweller almost all my life and have seen wonders and horrors few common men are lucky enough to dream of." He plants the but of his axe on the ground and continues to elaborate on his experience.

"I've travelled alot, seen the cities of the world and trained with a dozen different fighters of equally many different styles. I've had to fight of orcs and bandits of all kinds of races, most memorable of which was a gypsy halfling with a passion for seduction and knives" Min winks to the old man and grins behind his beard, flashing a set of beer-stained teeth. "When it comes to what you probably want to know, I'm a dwarf who knows where to keep his eyes, and I know how to calm down someone who's looking for a fight. And if you want someone to keep you safe in a fight, look no further."

planswalker
2010-07-06, 03:10 PM
not a problem. as my sig says, i'm about to have an internet shortage myself.

related topic: we just got shadowleaf to be a new dm for AvB. how would feel about him taking over this thread? I'm nearing my limit and he's looking for threads to take over.

Mathis
2010-07-06, 03:11 PM
Sure, that's fine with me. Just let him know I'm ready whenever.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 03:25 PM
The old sergeant holds up his left arm. "Why weren't you here sooner?!" He lets out a loud bark laugh. "Well, 'least you boast like a proper Guard, I guess time will show whether or not you can live it to it. I'm getting old, and it's great to have young.."- The sergeant eyes you up- "Gergh, presumably young, blood to take over.
Anyway, let's get down to business. You're fresh and eager to learn. With your supposed combat experience, I assume we can skip the usual sword drilling from dawn to dusk. What'cha want to do first, then? Go on patrol, or learn some theory? "

Mathis
2010-07-06, 03:33 PM
Min

Min chuckled along loudly with the man, he liked Torkheim! Alot!
"Well patrol ofcourse! How much theory can there be to a job like this? I solve problems, and I blow a whistle if the problem is too much to handle on my own right?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 03:37 PM
"Well, there's the protocols. I mean, we don't just blunder into a situation, we carefully follow procedur.. Blahahaha. I can't even say it with a straight face. You've gotten the jest of it. Just don't abuse your power, but don't be afraid to bust a few heads to restore order. This city has a shady side like you can't imagine, and us Guards do what we have to do to keep it quiet. How much do you think you can handle, kid? We can take a tour of some of the quieter places in the city, or we can go right in the smack middle of things. Your choice."

Mathis
2010-07-06, 03:44 PM
"Right in the smack middle of things sounds about right, you reckon we can handle it?"

Shadowleaf: Hello! I just want to be straightforward with where I want this character to go in the future. I want to build a respectable reputation before starting a bureau where us bodyguards, the players can offer work instead of going to look for it. Min would ofcourse charge a respectable sum of money for each job done through the agency, 10-20% of each payment. I've got it mostly planned out hehe. Anyway, that's my goal for this character, hopefully I can reach it with the help of the other players after my IC reputation is large enough.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 03:59 PM
"Well, I dunno 'bout you, but I'm a pretty fast runner." The sergeant grins. "Let's take a stroll through the Docks district, then. Docks are rough now-a-days, too far away from our grasp to be controlled, the best we can do is arrest the criminals we blunder into down there."
The sergeant suits up, wearing his Guard cloak and Sergeant's tabard. He sheaths a longsword and a dagger in his belt. A chainmail can be spotted underneath his tabard. It looks awefully shiny compared to the standard guardman's.
He leads you out of the garrison, out on Eschenheimer. He takes a left, and then a right on Broad Chase. You are now travelling eastward toward the docks. The garrison is pretty much right in the middle of the city, with the docks making up the north-east corner of the city.
Broad Chase is alive with people as always. Horses pulling carts, people walking and talking, kids running rampant, everything you would expect from a busy city this close to first light.

That's great, I like it. Will take some time, of course, but I'm sure you'll get there with some resolve and a hint of luck.
You'll arrive in the Docks District next post unless you want to continue talking to the Sergeant beforehand.

Mathis
2010-07-06, 04:17 PM
Min

"Good things Torkheim, good things. I guess I should start calling you Seargant and saluting you now too though?"

Min dons his new Guardsman tabard ontop of his own armor, straps on his shield and axe and walks with Torkheim to the Docks District. Walking through Broad's Chase filled with people, carts and kids Min can't help but feel mighty proud of himself in his new uniform. He smiles and greets as many as he can on his way to the Docks, being polite is a virtue his father had always said.

Upon arrival at the Docks, Min turns to the seargant and says: "Since this place is so far out of the guards reach, wouldn't be a good idea to set up a second garrison out here? Y'know, to stay closer to the heart of the problem."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:24 PM
The sergeant nods at the salute comment. "Titles are important, we must appear as if we are on top of things at all times, even when we are not."

The housing of the city gradually degrades from well built two-story houses, to more shabby and cheaper one-story housing that makes up most of the Docks district. Shady and dirty taverns, warehouses, and dirt roads are plentiful. It is obviously much poorer than the rest of the city.
The atmosphere has changed as well. While Broad Chase felt cheerful, with everyone smiling back, kids laughing, and women singing, the Docks district feel much more grim. The people passing you mostly look at their feet, or travel in larger groups of strong looking men. Not many talk, and those that do are quiet and hushed.
The sergeant looks at you as you ask your question, and lowers his voice with a reply: "We don't talk about stuff like that out in the open, we don't want people to know we are stretched thin. We must appear everywhere at once, you see?"

Mathis
2010-07-06, 04:45 PM
Min

Quickly realizing his mistake Min changes the look on his face to that of one alot more neutral than the happy and polite face he had been wearing in Broad Chase. "'Course Sir."

He continues to walk, and after seeing the degradation of this part of the city and the hushed tone of everyone in the vicinity he comes to the conclusion that this ain't natural. He's seen docks before and plenty of them were busy, happy places. He turns to Torkheim again and asks in a whisper: "Why are everyone this quiet? Is someone keeping them down? Some sort of crimelord or mobster? Docks aren't usually this fallen apart and depressive to walk around in."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 04:56 PM
"The Docks attract simple people - strong in the arms and slow in the heads. They work for the daily bread, but the pay of a dockworker is not very impressive. This has led to poor housing, as that is all they can afford. The security and lack of patrols has made the Docks a breeding pit of criminals. Lots of the organized criminals want a say in the Docks, so gang wars are abundant here. Heck, half the dockworkers are members, if for nothing but protection from robbery. This has been going on for a while, and has made the Dock into what it is today."
The sergeant picks up a slow pace. He strikes you as very observant despite his age. He nods to a few people whom seem to recognize him as he leads you through the Docks.

You try to be as observant as he is, but it quickly becomes apparent, that his eyesight and attention to detail is a lot better than yours.

You do realize something strange about the Docks. As you continue through the streets, it becomes apparent, that there are more non-humans than humans. Everywhere you turn are Kobolds, half-Orcs, Hobgoblins, and more obscure species to be found.

Mathis
2010-07-06, 05:08 PM
Min

"Gangs eh, which are the ones I should know of? Any particular individuals that stand out?"

Knowledge: Local roll.
Knowledge: Local to see if I know anything about the criminal underground in the docks area.

[roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 05:16 PM
Hope it's okay the Knowledge roll takes the form of a reply from the sergeant.
"Well, there're several. Some small time players, others are bigger and more organized. There're the skulks here. Nasty critters, abducting people and splattering them all over the street the next morning. They carry scary-looking knives, too. They're impossible to catch, always being one step ahead - or rather, behind - our patrols, stalking the shadows and killing our men.
There's some organization known as the Jacks, they're big time criminals with a tight command, we don't know much 'bout them, they tend to get rid of their snitches, and keep their members happy. We know they're present in most of Sesbury, and that they're divided into crews, and have a finger in a lot of stuff across the city - everything from prostitution, robberies to assassinations."

Mathis
2010-07-06, 05:31 PM
Yeah thats perfect, I like it that way so feel free to do it more if I roll more knowledge checks where the result can come as a reply. I'll let you know if I want to seem knowledgeable towards any players and NPC's. Also, Im going to sleep after this post so unless you have something you really want to finish we can continue tomorow?

"By the hells, that's a good group of nasty critters. Let's hope we can put a good scare in them and teach them to respect us properly sooner rather than later then."

Min is stroking his axe absentmindedly as they continue to walk, slowly starting to warm up to the crowd a smile starts to crawl across his face but he remains silent and does not greet anyone unless they say hi first. He'll continue to walk alongside Torkheim, exchanging anecdotes and friendly banter as long as it doesn't obstruct the professionality of the patrol.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-06, 05:34 PM
Go ahead. The next part will take a while.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 06:14 AM
As the two of you reach the actual Docks, and walk alongside the water and piers, you suddenly feel very observed. Turning to Torkheim, he seems not to notice.
After following the waterline a few hundred meters, you are forced to stop as a cart tips over next to you. A young woman up ahead notices you and Torkheim, and beelines in a rushed walk towards you. You can easily tell from her body language that she is brimming with rage. As she comes within 60 feet, she begins to shout. "The Guard, huh? Where were you bastards last night, when my poor boy was abducted?!"
You turn to see Torkheim's reaction, but you are simply met with a stare of indifference. You turn to the woman again, who is heading straight towards you.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 06:30 AM
Min

OOC: I'm guessing it's a human woman since nothing else was described?

Min notices Torkheim's indifference and deduces it has to be a test of him, to see how he handles the situation.

Min shoots his chest forward and answers in a voice as authorative as possible as he can muster: "Please madam, calm yourself so we can help you. If you keep on shouting like that none of us is going to get anything done. What is your boys name and what does he look like? Did anyone see the abduction?"

Diplomacy to calm the woman down: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 06:41 AM
As the street clears to the sides, you get a better look at the woman. She is indeed human, roughly 30 years old with black unwashed curles bound in a ponytail. She is wearing a green linen dress and has no visible weapons. She seems indifferent with your shouting. "My boy is dead, DEAD. I had to dig his feet out the gutter this morning! The dogs were playing with his arm!"

15 feet between you now.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 06:52 AM
Min

Min stays calm and continues to talk to the woman, but he places a firm hand on his already un-sheathed axe.

"That's a sad story you're telling me miss. I'm Min, now tell me your name and the rest of the story, and tell me who did this so we can bring them to justice. But I can do none of this if you continue to scream and shout." Justice on the edge of my axe, Min thought with an increasingly solemn sharpness to his inner monologue.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 07:04 AM
The woman starts to run, raising her arm for a strike.

Roll Init.
Woman's Init: [roll0]

Mathis
2010-07-07, 07:14 AM
Min

Damned!, Min mumbled as the woman charged.

Init: [roll0]

Min will attempt to subdue the woman, he curses the moment he decided not to buy a sap to keep in his belt.

Grapple, she gets an AOO: Melee touch attack: [roll1]

Attempt to hold: [roll2]

If the grapple attempt suceeds, Min will tell the woman that if she does not stop this at once he will have to hurt her.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 07:22 AM
She misses you completely, and you have no trouble keeping her under control. She bites, tears and strikes with great anger, but you easily keep her subdued.

She obviously does not intended to stop anything soon.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 07:28 AM
Min tells Torkheim to keep the crowd at a distance.

He has given the woman a fair warning and now have to knock her unconscious, he strikes her with non-lethal force.

Attempt to hold grapple: [roll0]

Possible non-lethal damage: [roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 07:34 AM
The woman goes limb in your arms. You gently place her on the road. As you look up, you see the Sergeant has joined the crowd, and that four men are advancing on you, three humans and one half-orc. They look to be sailors, well built and broad across the chests. Two are armed with clubs, one has a dagger and the half-orc has a shortsword. They fan out in front of you, stopping 25 feet away and shifting their weight from side to side, looking ready for a mean fight.

The crowd joins in a circle around you, cheering mostly for the sailors.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 07:42 AM
Min is feeling the pressure... This is bad, very bad! And Torkheim had seemed like such a nice fellow, was this another test?

Min decides to give the sailors a fair warning. He speaks out in a voice as deep and thunderous as he can muster
"If any of you as much as moves towards me, I will cut off arms and legs and leave your manhood for the fish! I'm a city guard and am here to atleast try to keep you safe, but if any of you try to harm me may the gods have mercy on your souls!"

[roll0]

Min hopes that his words will scare the already doubting sailors to back off. If they wanted him dead they would have attacked him by now, or atleast so he hoped. He places both legs firmly on each side of the passed out woman, in a protective stance. And he takes a firm grip around his axe, ready for the damned sailors.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 07:48 AM
The half-orc laughs. "Get 'im, boys!"
The half-orc and two of the humans charge towards you. One of the club-wielders stay back, though.

Since you might as well know initative:
Half-Orc: [roll0]
Human with Club: [roll1]
Human with Dagger: [roll2]

Mathis
2010-07-07, 07:56 AM
Twice be damned! Min mumbled to himself again, how could things get this out of hand? And why oh why did Torkheim decide to stay back, and more importantly: Who was he cheering for?

"Fine! You asked for this boys!"

Min sets his eyes on the orc and decides to take down the only one with some leadership capabilities first. He cuts after the bastard with his axe

Attack 1:[roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Possible damage:
Roll 1: [roll2]
Roll 2: [roll3]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 08:03 AM
The orc is obviously not ready for the resolve behind your attacks, and you cut a deep wound into his neck. He looks as if he is trying to regain his focus, but after a split second he drops to the ground.
The human with the club charges straight for you, putting himself between you and the human with the dagger. He swings his club wieldly, which you gracefully step under.
The human with the dagger moves right past you, and you see the opportunity to strike at his back, should you so wish. He seems to be going for your other side, in order to set up a flank.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 08:09 AM
AOO: [roll]1d20+11/roll]
Damage for AOO: [roll0]

Seeing the orc drop he changes his focus to the man with the dagger that tried to get behind him. He again attacks with a ferocious resolve, determined to get out of this alive:

Attack 1:[roll1]
Attack 2:[roll2]

Possible damage 1:[roll3]
Possible damage 2:[roll4]

If the man drops he'll say to the one man still alive and fighting: "You still have a chance to survive, drop your dagger and surrender before you end up like your friends!"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 08:10 AM
Rolling your AOO: [roll0]

The man nimbly dodges all of your attacks, and gets behind you.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 08:11 AM
Fixed Attack of opportunity: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 08:16 AM
He takes the blow, but still gets in position. None of your follow up attacks connect, though.

The club-wielder hits you as your attention is drawn to the guy behind you. He deals [roll0] damage.

you feel the dagger connecting to your kidneys, and you are in an amazing world of hurt. [roll1]+[roll2] damage.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 08:23 AM
Min was shocked, rarely had his Full Plate not protected him from attacks. And such pain aswell! He raised his tower shield again before releasing another flurry of cuts upon the dagger-man.

Again going for the man with the dagger:

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 08:26 AM
The man nimble dodges, and returns the favour with his dagger. It bounces harmlessly off your armor.

You feel a large thund on your back, but no real damage is done.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 08:32 AM
Starting to feel mighty angry about this fight Min again lunges out against the man with the dagger.

Attack 2:[roll1]

Possible damage 1:[roll2]
Possible damage 2:[roll3]

Mathis
2010-07-07, 08:37 AM
Oh! A crit!

Confirm roll: [roll0]

Extra damage:
[roll1]
[roll2]

+9 from the previous post.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 09:00 AM
After having witnessed his buddy having his head taken clean off his shoulder, the man with the club starts running. The other guy with the club is already long gone.

Do you pursue?

Mathis
2010-07-07, 09:08 AM
I do not pursue, but I tell Torkheim to pursue. His answer is going to be interesting.

Without another word, except a grunt as he tries to walk with the wound in his side, Min runs to the Half-Orc and attempts to stop his bleeding.

[roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 09:19 AM
Torkheim does not answer, as he beat you to the half-orc. He is already applying bandages and some sort of salve. You know your shorter Dwarven legs will never catch the ruffians.
"Heck of a fight. Knew you could handle it. Nice move on the woman, too - she never saw that blow coming!"

Mathis
2010-07-07, 09:31 AM
"Well, it wouldve been easier if you had decided to help, but I guess not as fun a story to tell back at the barracks. Told you I knew how to fight. Too bad about the guy with the dagger back there."

Min gets back on his feet and turns to the crowd. He gives his axe a toss to wipe away most of the blood then shouts: "Everyone get back to your own law abiding business! Remember that if you decide to start trouble again Min Rockhand and the city guard will be here to clean up your mess!"

He then picks up the woman, lifts her onto his shoulder and turns to Torkheim again: "So, how about we get back to the garrison and give reports about what happened, then we track down the murderers of this woman's son?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 02:26 PM
"We can call it a test, if you want. I dinnae wanted to get my hands dirty, when you told me you could handle yourself.
The woman.. Meh, I don't want to bother. She'd probably just be mad and accuse us of abducting her. Abduction and spreading body parts sound like skulks, so the investigation would probably lead to a dead end. I'm not saying we shouldn't, but no reason to take it at the garrison."
Torkhem points at one of the bystanders. "You there, get us a bucket o' water, and be quick about it!"
A few seconds later, Torkhem splashes the bucket of water all over the woman's upper body. She seems groggy and confused, and stays down. "Your lead."

The crowd thins out, and soon it is just the three of you, the half-orc and the headless guy.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 03:19 PM
"Fair enough, but there is no reason I can't investigate this on my private time no?" Min flashes a smile. "Now let's get this orc to the prison, we should show this part of town that fighting like this ain't acceptable. And as a bonus, I have something to show from my first patrol, eh?"

Min tries his best not to limp as they walk but it's not easy and a grunt is heard now and then. Unless Torkheim disagrees Min will take the half-orc to the city prison, deliver a report on the incident and get back on patrol until his shift is done.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 03:25 PM
Tockheim gestures for you to wait, and after a few minutes,four young guardsmen show up at the scene. Two of them takes the half-orc and head back towards the inner city, and the two others deal with the beheaded corpse.

"I thought ye wanted to ask the nice lady a few questions?"

Mathis
2010-07-07, 03:32 PM
"True that is, let's hope I get something else than fists for answers this time." Min stands infront of the groggy woman and asks her the same line of questions he did earlier: "Hello again sweet lady. Care to answer my questions now? Tell me what you can about this adbuction and I'll do my best to let justice happen to the responsible parties."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 03:36 PM
She slowly sits up, turn her head towards you, then covers her face with her hands and sinks together. She starts hulking. "I'm.. So sorry.. I don't know what came over me.. My boy Jacob.. He was taken last night, from his bed.. He was only eight.. My husband found him this morning.. Or what's.. Left of him.. I can't believe my little boy is gone.."

Mathis
2010-07-07, 03:41 PM
"I'm sorry too lady, but right now you have to take me your husband so he can tell me what he knows aswell."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 03:43 PM
"Mark's been away all day.. Probably getting drunk again.. Who can blame him?.. I don't think he knows anything, he just.. Found Jacob's.. Remains in the alley behind our house.."

Mathis
2010-07-07, 03:48 PM
Min looks at Torkheim and says: "Well, I don't think we can get much more out of her than that... And here I was hoping she'd know something about gangs usually lurking about her neighbourhood besides the skulks." Min does his best to help the woman to her feet; "Why don't you go join your husband, you two would do good to yourselves being together today. Just show me and my partner the way to your house and we'll take it from here."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 04:07 PM
"Old Hall street, the house with the blue shudders.."
She slowly gets up, and stumbles the opposite direction of where you are going.
One of the young guardsmen call you and Torkheim over. He points to the headless guy's wrist. You can make out a branded symbol of a jack.
Torkheim turns to you. "What do you make of this, kid.. Erh, master Dwarf?"

Mathis
2010-07-07, 04:18 PM
Thanking the woman one last time Min grunts and turns to Torkheim: "Yeah, I'm probably as old as you if not older Torkheim. I just ain't as grey yet!" Min flashes another friendly smile. "As for this brand, I'd say he either has a thing for jacks, or he's part of that big time crime organization that's into all sorts of bad stuff. Let's just hope I havn't made an enemy of them for taking the head off of one of their boys. Now, if it was up to me I'd take advantage off all these newcomers in town and post a bounty for anyone who's had this brand for more than a year or so, but that we can arrange later." Standing back up and getting ready to make off for Old Hall street, something strikes Min. "Wait a second, does he have any personal affects on him besides the dagger?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-07, 04:23 PM
"Is he a member then, or not? I've never seen the Jacks brand themselves."

The young guardsmen searches the corpse's pockets. He finds a pouch with 10 gold and nothing else. He bags the gold.

Mathis
2010-07-07, 04:32 PM
"Hmph, so nothing else to identify him but a few gold coins... And if you havn't seen them branded before then Im not sure what it means either. Perhaps he's a fan? Someone wanting to join in? Ruffians get all sorts of bad ideas, branding yourself with the mark of a large organization that you're not part of and might be criminal seems like one of the worst ones I've heard of yet. From what I know, Im going to assume he's a low standing member with no more than stringy ties to the Jacks. You think this is something worth following up before we head after the boys killers?"

Shadowleaf
2010-07-08, 06:54 AM
"Honestly, I think the brand is just to throw us off our track, should we ever capture him. The leaders of the Jacks are an intelligent bunch, I'll have to give them that - they'd never brand their own members."

Nothing of real interest happens on the way to Old Hall Street. You encounter several new races of creatures - though only demihumans and humanoids. At one point, you think you spot one of the men from earlier, but it turns out not to be him.

As you reach Old Hall Street, you find the house with the blue shudders, and the alley behind it. It is 10 feet wide and runs parallel to Old Hall Street. It smells of dirt, trash and a bit of sewage.
A few seconds of searching will reveal blood, though not of a lot of it. Though you are no doctor, you would have expected more blood, should this have been where he died.
Torkheim keeps quiet as always.

Mathis
2010-07-09, 04:51 AM
"Harrumph, way to put the rookie in place, huh? Say, there's too little blood here for this to be the murderscene don't you think?"

Min begins looking for a manhole, an entrance to the sewers. He also tries to see if there are windows from buildings who have an overview over this spot from where someone might have seen something. He gives the scene one more once over in hopes of finding some sort of clue.

Search: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-07-10, 04:05 PM
You do indeed find a manhole beneath some trash, in the corner of the alley. The surrounding buildings are only one story, and therefore no one would be able to see inside the alley.

You find no further clues.

Mathis
2010-07-13, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry about the lack of posts the last few days, but the weather is just too damn good to waste.

Min stops and stares at the manhole for a second, lets out a sigh and turns to Torkheim. "So... Unless you want to get down and dirty in this thing I suggest we go talk to the father of the kid. Perhaps he has enemies of some sort. I mean, why did the murderers bother to go back here to leave the arm to let the family know of the death? Seems to me it'l be a waste of good clothes to hop down into the sewers before talking to him atleast. At worst I'll jump into the manhole to see what's down there and at best we wont have to. Seems like an easy choice."

If Torkheim agrees, they'll head to the tavern and have a chat with the husband. If not Min will jump into the manhole without hesitation.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-14, 01:26 PM
"It's your call, guardsman Min. I'm just along for the ride. In my humble opinion, I doubt these folks-" he gestures to the house "- would have anything worth making enemies over. Personal disbutes don't touch children 'round these parts, it's an unwritten law."

Mathis
2010-07-19, 06:32 AM
"Humph, so just a random killing then. Well, I don't mind the sewers... Aslong as it doesn't turn out to be a wild goose chase..."

Min climbs down the manhole, looking both ways down there to see if anything gives him a hint at which direction to move in.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 08:29 AM
Torkheim climbs in after you. Only the immediate area under the manhole is visible - everything else is pit.. Oh wait. Darkvision. Right.
It is a sewer. It stinks. The pipes have been built just large enough for a medium built human to walk through - Torkheim can barely get by without ducking his head. You do not have that issue, however.
Almost seems like you were born for this sort of thing.

"It's bloody dark down here! Can't see me own hands!"

The sewage is floating westward.

Mathis
2010-07-19, 08:49 AM
"Ah, I always forget your human eyes are worth squat down in the dark. Well, the sewage down here floats westwward. You can come with me and hold my hand," Min flashes a grin in the dark. "Or you can go westward on street level and meet up with me at every other manhole. Your choice. I'm guessing you're not too keen on buying a torch. In any case, I'll take a walk downwards here and see what I can...dig up."

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 08:52 AM
"I dunno, you think you can fly solo on this one? I have other things I can do, and I dinnae think I will be to much help down here. It's not that I want to leave you, I.. Am just pretty worthless down here. I'll finish the patrol and head back to the garrison, if you don't mind."

Mathis
2010-07-19, 09:38 AM
"Sure, I'll try. If I don't come back it's been a pleasure knowing you Torkheim!" Min waves Torkheim goodbye and takes off westward. He will stop at every new turn and peek around with a spot check to make sure he doesn't stumble onto something nasty. A look across his shoulder now and then won't hurt either.

Shadowleaf
2010-07-19, 09:39 AM
planswalker is sitting on the sewer maps, I'll have to get a hold of him before I can continue. Is that okay?

Mathis
2010-07-19, 09:52 AM
Yeah thats perfectly fine.

planswalker
2010-08-02, 06:52 PM
planswalker is sitting on the sewer maps, I'll have to get a hold of him before I can continue. Is that okay?

what maps? All I envisioned is that the sewer system runs underneath the major streets. that's all the "map" I have.

Rizban
2010-08-02, 08:20 PM
A terrible explosion suddenly rocks the entire city, and the ground shakes as if an earthquake were tearing the city apart. The sky lights up from a blast many times the brightness of the sun, and you are certain that certain death has at last come to claim you. As the brightness fades, you look toward the Mages' Quarter and see the last remnants of the horror burning directly towards the sky in a seemingly endless stream of raw, burning mana which threatens to tear reality asunder. What seems like an eternity passes as you stare, though it is likely only a few seconds, and at last the blast fades away. In the distance, you hear a building collapse, and you are certain that something horrible has been unleashed upon the city.

Mathis
2010-08-05, 11:13 AM
So, Im guessing the maps of the sewers are largely inaccurate after the blast now anyway? So how about you hit me up with a description of the effects of the blast on the underwater system that I'm in, and I can begin to react to the event?

Shadowleaf
2010-08-06, 05:17 AM
Right, sorry for inactiveness. I totally forgot about the plans.
Also, Reflex check, please.

The flow of the disguisting, smelling water suddenly shifts, heading toward the inner city rather than out.

A few tiles and pieces of rock fall around you. It does not seem to be in any danger of collapsing.

Mathis
2010-08-06, 10:13 AM
Reflex save: [roll0]

I'll await success or failure before writing up actions, and I noticed you'd be at Roskilde until the 4th anyway so no worries about forgetting stuff. I was originally going there myself but couldn't get time off from work.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-07, 01:48 PM
You nimbly dodge past the falling rocks.

Mathis
2010-08-08, 04:52 AM
Min releases a victorious "AHA!" after having dodged the rocks, but then stands there in the middle of the sewage unsure of where to go, and what to do. The sewage has shifted, hopefully that meant that the denizens of this part of the sewage would turn around aswell.

So he decided to walk on until he could find the murderers of the little kid, then he could go back and investigate what in Moradin's beard had caused such a quake.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:25 AM
You advance down the sewer line. The afterquakes do not tally long, and soon the pipe is silent again. This gives you a time to refocus, and listen to the area surrounding you.
You reach a junction where four pipelines meet.

Listen Check, please.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:49 AM
Listen check: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 06:12 AM
You hear what sound like a conversation in squeeks down the pipe to the left.

Should you choose to look down the pipe:
You don't see a damn thing except debris. Whoever is squeeking is probably out of range of your vision.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 06:21 AM
Min takes a deep breath, exhales calmly and starts walking towards the squeeking. "Ho, there ahead!" he says when he's closer. He keeps his back close to the wall, to avoid getting stabbed in the back by some lowly bastard rat of a murderer. His shield is raised and his axe is drawn.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 04:16 PM
As you advance down a few steps, the squeekings stop. You call out, and raise your weapons.
An answer is called out: "Squee eie eeaee reeee eeie!""

You obviously do not understand the language. The squeeking sounds firm and intimidating, in a way.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:06 PM
Not really finding the unintelligent squealing intimidating, the situation could easily turn ugly. Min answers in his deepest, most dwarven voice he can muster: "Ahh! SQUEE RIGHT BACK AT YOU!"

He continues to close in, trying to see the little squeelers.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:16 PM
Roll Spot and Listen.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:19 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:26 PM
You see what appears to be a humanoid rodent creature. It has a rat or mouse-like snout, patches of brown fur and a paranoid look in its dull eyes.
It's looking right at you, with a shortsword tightly grasped in its claw-like hand. It is wearing what appears to be a rather simple leather armor.
"Squaaaa!"

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:37 PM
"Hmm, let's see if you have any friends." Min takes a step closer, shaking his hands and axe as if he's about to attack, shouting to scare the thing to run away. Attacking this scared thing just didn't sit right with him.

Intimidate: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:39 PM
The thing seems unmoved, if a little more paranoid. It lifts its sword.

"SKARR!"

Roll initative.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:44 PM
With a madness in his eyes, Min screams "SKAARR!" back into the rat-man's face!

Initiative: [roll0]

Attack 1: [roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2]

Damage for attack 1:[roll3]
Damage for attack 2:[roll4]

Incase of a critical, feel free to roll it for me to speed up the game. I don't mind you using your own die.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 05:48 PM
Okay. This is embaressing. I know I have your sheet somewhere, I just can't find it. Do you mind linking it to me? :smallredface:
The rat-thing in front of you is quicker to react.

Attack: [roll0]
If it hits, you take 9 damage, as its shortsword connect to your kidneys.

Mathis
2010-08-09, 05:55 PM
Sure, no worries hehe. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=221196 It's a miss by the way.

On his own round: Letting the swordstrike brush off of his armor, Min attacks again with two savage axe-strokes.

Attack 2:[roll1]

Damage 1:[roll2]
Damage 2:[roll3]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-09, 08:01 PM
The ratman's strike harmlessly bounces off your armor.

Your swing, however, cuts a deep wound across his shoulder. He is wounded but still standing.

You feel a dagger entering your kidneys. You hear a squeek of joy from just behind you. The strike deals 7 damage.

The ratman in front of you swings again, but swings right past you, almost dropping his sword.

You swing right back at him, cleaving the wound even deeper. He drops to the floor.

You turn around to see two ratmen standing behind you - one is wielding a bow, with a notched arrow pointing straight at you. The other is standing right besides you, dagger in hand. Both are wearing leather armors.

The ratman with the dagger stabs at you, but misses. The bow rat seems to be seizing you up, waiting for the perfect shot.

Mathis
2010-08-10, 08:14 PM
More of these rats, where are they all coming from? I wonder if they're as easy to smoke out as real rats, Min wondered.

He starts pulling his punches, constantly aware of the notched arrow while dancing with the ratman with the dagger.

Min 5-foot steps closer to the wall behind him to deny the rats flanking bonus. Then when the rat with the dagger moves closer, he attacks.

Elusive Strike: (Gain a +2 Dodge bonus to AC by only using one attack a round. From PHB 2)

He attacks the rat with the dagger.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-12, 03:12 PM
You cleave into the ratman's arm, giving him a nasty looking wound.

The ratman with the dagger lashes out and gets you by the armpit, dealing 12 damage.

You feel heat erupting right behind you. Dust turns and a small set of eyes appear behind you. The dust ignites, and a small fireball with eyes hovers a few feet behind you.

The ratman with the bows finally lets the arrow fly, but misses horribly and hits the ceiling.

Mathis
2010-08-12, 03:31 PM
Min again fights carefully, not minding the fireball right away because the rat man is more of a direct threat at the moment.

Evasive Strike:
[roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 08:37 AM
I messed up the order - the fire/dust thing appeared a second before the ratman struck you.
As soon as the ratman with the dagger struck, the fire thing disappeared.

Your strike drops him, however.

The ratman with the bow moves back 30', then lets loose an arrow at you. It misses horribly. Again.

Mathis
2010-08-15, 10:16 AM
Satisfied with his job so far, Min takes cover behind his shield (Tower shield, grants Total Concealment), and starts to move towards the archer.

When close enough to attack he'll swing his axe again at the archer.

Elusive Strike: (+2 to AC for a total of 29) Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1].

If the rat tries to run away when Min is closing in, he'll drop his axe and pull out the Throwing Axe sheathed in the Shield Sheathe and throw that at it.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 12:00 PM
The rat-thing is not very bright, and you hear a loud THUNK, followed by vibrations through the shield. Guess it was testing the shield's durability.

You walk towards it, and it flees 60' down the pipe. Right before it leaves the range of your vision, you throw your axe, hitting its leather armor with the blunt side.

You curse as you lose sight of it, though you can hear it scrambling about. Suddenly, it goes quiet.

Listen check if you want a rough estimate of where it stopped. You could also just turn around, though you know it is faster than you.

Mathis
2010-08-15, 12:08 PM
Min will try to listen as to where it stopped, then move down the pipe after the rat regardless of the result.

Listen: [roll0]

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 12:13 PM
You estimate it to have gone silent roughly 65'-75' away from you. Maybe it started sneaking at a slower rate, maybe it stopped, maybe it is standing still with an arrow notched. You are not sure.

Mathis
2010-08-15, 02:19 PM
"Ach, let it be scared", Min told himself before he returned to the corpses of those rats he had killed. Quickly searching through their bodies for anything that could link them to the murder of the little kid.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 02:21 PM
Unfortunaly, you find no incriminating evidence. You do, however, find a beautifully crafted dagger, a rather simple short sword, and a pouch with 55 gold pieces in it. If you want, you can also take their worn leather armors, and ragged clothes.

Mathis
2010-08-15, 02:27 PM
Seeing as the filthy rats wouldn't be needing their weapons and gold anymore, Min pockets the beautiful dagger and the pouch with 55 gold. After all the city guard wouldn't be pleased if rats in the sewer had weapons and gold to arm themselves with, though he figured he didn't -have- to tell them about the dagger unless they asked.

With nothing further explaining the murder of the kid, Min kept on going, this time in another direction than the rat with the archery-skills had gone. He walks as long as he until something interesting comes up, and stops at every corner to make listen checks incase something is following him.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-15, 02:33 PM
Min advances down the pipe, past the dead corpses and away from the ratmen. After roughly 200 feet, you take a left, and make out muffled squeeks in front of you. It sounds like more rat-things, though in a much larger number. They are pretty far away.
Curiosity takes over, and you advance down a bit. The pipe takes another turn - right this time - and as you turn, you can see a single torch illuminating the far end of the pipe, perhaps 100 feet away.

Mathis
2010-08-19, 11:47 AM
Min will wait at his current position for roughly 5 minutes, to see if any patrols are walking around or if anything else happens. If nothing does happen, he'll advance down to the torch.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-21, 02:27 PM
You hear movement after a few minutes. The conversation dies down, and you hear a large group of presumably rat-things heading your way. They still sound quite a bit away, but with the twists and turns it is hard to determine a distance.

The torch-bearer is not moving (assuming the torch is being carried and is not simply hanging from the wall - you cannot tell).

Mathis
2010-08-26, 11:24 AM
Im sorry about my slow rate of posting these last few weeks, but college has been hectic. I'm a studentrepresentative and people have more stuff to complain about the first few weeks than I could ever have imagined hehe.:smallsmile: So yes, in a few days I expect things to have slowed down and I won't have to spend hours in conversations with lecturers and the university staff.

I know how un-inspiring slow posting players can be and I apologize, but please hang in there for a little while longer!

Min was starting to feel heavily outnumbered and considered himself to be in a less than safe situation here. After all, he hadn't survived for decades on the surface by taking chances so why start now, he thought. Though despite every piece of gut feeling he had was telling him to return to get help, he kept on going towards that torch and the voices. Perhaps he'd manage to impress someone with his findings.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-27, 05:14 AM
The sounds of shuffling feet grow louder, and you can make out more details. You would guess the group to be above 10, maybe closer to 20-25. You hear small clinks of at least one chainmail.

Mathis
2010-09-05, 10:29 AM
Min realized he wouldn't stand a chance in a fight against such numbers. He ran back as quick as he could to a corner, or somewhere closeby where he could hide and hid as best he could, sometimes peeping out to get a look at the group of things coming his way.

Hide: [roll0]